PDA

View Full Version : Midpoint Hypothesis: Manly Men, Girly CD's

Ophelia D'Void
08-03-2005, 02:35 PM
10-----8-----6-----4-----2-----0-----2-----4-----6-----8-----10

Most Feminine = 10
Androgynous= 0
Masculine= 10

The hypothesis behind this is that each of us falls on one side of the chart, either with "manly" men falling in the high range on the far right, and "feminine" women falling into the high range on the far left of the above chart. This would represent their starting range.

As MTF CD's, the more masculine of us would be somewhere between Androgynous and Masculine, probably in the 4-8 range on the right, maybe for FTM CD's somewhere in the 4-8 range on the left.

At least for myself, I find that alot of my interests in guy mode fall in the toward the more manly pursuits, such as welding, shooting, knifemaking, martial arts, Tarantino movies, and popping little kids' balloons (j/k with the Tarantino movies, except for the Kill Bill series).

En femm, I used to go super girly and find myself attracted to styles that would be considered much more girly, such as thigh-highs, skirts, long hair, high heels, etc. etc. (nowadays, I'm not sure.... not sure how girly latex and pvc is).

Growing up I wasn't much of a manly guy (never really could get into sports), so I'll venture saying I was probably a 6 or so on the chart.

Imagine a pendulum hanging over the 6 spot on the chart. We are pushed (or push ourselves to conform) to be the epitome of manliness.... somewhere in the 11 range if we're using the Spinal Tap scale. Julie M. posted a while back that cultures that are more male dominated have a higher prevalence of crossdressers than other cultures, so maybe they even push it to a 12?

0-----2-----4-----6-----8-----10

The farther we're pushed away from our natural number, the higher the rebound we have. In the case of some people that are "effeminate", they are closer to the midpoint (0) and thus the more emotional they are (and thus connect better with people on the left side of the chart).

However, when we try to emulate women, we go too far to the left, when in actuality women are many times leaning toward the midpoint as well, maybe in backlash to the female templates that were forced upon them to be perfect 10's as well, when no one is a 10 on either side of the board to begin with. So in effect, we're trying to be like the ideal of women, when women themselves are trying to distance themselves from that.

Ya, I know the hypothesis has alot of holes in it, but I'm still working on it. Just try to look at it with an open mind before you get defensive, as this is not meant to offend anyone.

p.s. Don't mean to start meddling into your field of expertise Kewt, just throwing out an idea I was playing with.

Natalie x
08-03-2005, 03:10 PM
That's good, I like that.

Age could be a factor in where a person is on the scale. At puberty, kids usually push themselves way out to the ends, I guess they are tyrying to prove themselves. Then, as years go by, most of them drift to the middle, leaving just a few oddballs (no names) who are determined to keep pushing the envelope, out there on a limb of their choice (I'm dragging myself painfully towards the F10 point).

jenniferluv
08-03-2005, 03:19 PM
And then there are those of us who are extremely educated......this excludes myself!

Ophelia D'Void
08-03-2005, 03:21 PM
That's true actually... the older my dad gets, the less he cares if he accidentally put on my mom's purple fleece sweater or not. "Who cares, it's warm" says my dad. Hey, who am I to argue?

Hmm, just had a brain fart while I was talking to Ayla online:

femininity on one side, masculine on the other, both sides striving toward completion at the midpoint

Maybe that's why opposites attract? And manly men look for womanly women? Each one trying to find completion in the other, to become a more perfect unit as a whole. If you have two type B personalities get together, nothing ever gets done, and if you have two type A personalities get together, there's too much competition and bickering, but the world needs both to move forward.

Or maybe the whole thing is just about overcompensation? Like the Napoleon syndrome...

Mx Justina
08-03-2005, 03:28 PM
However, when we try to emulate women, we go too far to the left, when in actuality women are many times leaning toward the midpoint as well, maybe in backlash to the female templates that were forced upon them to be perfect 10's as well, when no one is a 10 on either side of the board to begin with. So in effect, we're trying to be like the ideal of women, when women themselves are trying to distance themselves from that.

Ya, I know the hypothesis has alot of holes in it, but I'm still working on it. Just try to look at it with an open mind before you get defensive, as this is not meant to offend anyone.

There are subtle (or sublime) hidden natural rules of gender logic...which escape the perception of many humans within the sex-typed conventional majority...and many parts of the "transgendered" paraculture (for some "subculture" seems negative)...(IMO)

In comparing the unusually large volume (compared to many other sites) of communication here in crossdressers.com...I noticed how many individuals attempt to express themselves enfemme...and wind up with expression patterns that are not naturally femenine (my candid opinion)... An example of the natural gender logic which is unrecognised consciously by most.

Well, Ophelia I do read most of what you post...so there!

J.

Ophelia D'Void
08-03-2005, 03:43 PM
There are subtle (or sublime) hidden natural rules of gender logic...which escape the perception of many humans within the sex-typed conventional majority...and many parts of the "transgendered" paraculture (for some "subculture" seems negative)...(IMO)

In comparing the unusually large volume (compared to many other sites) of communication here in crossdressers.com...I noticed how many individuals attempt to express themselves enfemme...and wind up with expression patterns that are not naturally femenine (my candid opinion)... An example of the natural gender logic which is unrecognised consciously by most.

Well, Ophelia I do read most of what you post...so there!

J.

I'd have to whole heartedly agree that there are many, if not all of us, deal with the femininity/masculinity issue in an ego/superego manner, thus doing so at a relatively conscious level.

Many, if not all, nonverbal, as well as psychological cues, are lost on men, and maybe even be inscrutible to females as well, but are picked up on at a subconscious level, as far as body language, thought patterns, and even pheromones.

More so in a verbal forum, like our illustrious board, even on a verbal level of interaction, there are more than a number of unintentional cues as to what a particular writer's style says about their psychological gender.

So based on that, I hypothesize that crossdressers deal with the gender pendulum in a more conscious manner, worrying about appearances and whatnot (as men are wont to do), and many times not realizing the stream of communication that occurs beneath the surface.

Many times, when watching women in movies pretend to be men, there is a certain top-heavy posturing, and over emphasis on a booming voice, and even a wrinkling of a brow, that suggests that women are attempting to caricature men, but as men, we notice right away that it is simply a woman pretending to be a man, and I think that women are just as equipped to sniff out an imposter, if not moreso in many instances. Although men are also more visual, and as a result are more acute at sniffing out physical anomalies that would seem to denote a male or female. So it's truly hard to say, although I'm getting off topic into the realm of passing rather than gender stabilization.
Thanks to all of you so far that have taken the time to read my ramblings and give your opinions.