PDA

View Full Version : Have you watch the movie " NORMAL" ?

SammyGirl
08-04-2005, 02:16 AM
Hi all,

Wow !!!!
What a movie..... I broke down on tear so very much! :cry: :cry:

What a movie! It was so me and maybe so much like most of us.

SammyC:\SmthAlb\0001abl\Alb002\Wrng

SammyGirl
08-04-2005, 02:26 AM
Sorry u all, I guesss I dont know how to insert a picture on a thread rather then a link

Sammy :confused:

Deborah
08-04-2005, 03:43 AM
Sorry u all, I guesss I dont know how to insert a picture on a thread rather then a link

You can't link something that is on your hard drive. Whatever it is has to be posted on a website such as this one.
Will look like this
[IMG}www.mypicture.***[/IMG] you get the picture right? Pun intended:D

Tristen Cox
08-04-2005, 05:35 AM

No... you tried to copy a file path and paste it in your message, you have to upload your picture for it to appear here. Read through my picture help thread to learn more.:)

Back on topic.

Julie
08-04-2005, 06:05 AM
Yes, I saw the movie. There were parts of it that were tear jerking but also parts that were a bit hard to swallow, like when the main character showed up at work with earrings but still dressed in all male attire. To invite the inevitable taunting just to wear women's earrings seemed silly.

I still enjoyed it but I thought "Different For Girls" was more true to life.

Natasha Anne
08-08-2005, 12:37 PM
I loved the movie, and think they spent a bit of time trying to figure out how to represent different feelings in such a short space of time e.g. the earrings made him feel pretty. I'm pretty much at a point were drab makes me feel yuck, and so I add feminine things to my attire even though I'm mostly dressed in male attire. Might be shoes, earrings, socks whatever. It helps fulfil an emotional need.

The earrings were a little gawdy for him to feel pretty, and the attempt at singing in the choir with the ladies was absurd to me (mostly because he doesn't have a good female voice to sing with) but I understood what the movie was trying to represent. I also think the earrings represented a relatively lower risk option to him (simple to remove) compared to wearing a dress and a wig.

Overall I'd say the movie was great.

SammyGirl
08-09-2005, 01:54 AM
Yessss, I do agreed about the earrings but to me the point was the extreme courage and the willingness to be herself. Anyone going to that extreme all of a sudden is looking to be destroyed. I would have started by maybe manicuring my finger nails, and then plucking of my eyebrowns and so on, but the message, I think, was about the extreme courage and big heart to let it all out without thinking of the ridicule representation of him being her. Such a enormous heart to once for all be whom you know you are! I think!

The fact that she actually attempted to ceased her existence, to ended her dilemma hit so closed to home within my heart.

Sammy (crying)

Stlalice
08-09-2005, 08:32 AM
The simple power of one persons story in a movie like Normal is why we use it as a teaching tool at MCC of Greater St. Louis when doing outreach to non TG groups. If you can get hold of the movie on a DVD the directors cut is very much worth watching. It explains the rational behind the varous scenes as they tell the story based on the real experience of one transwoman. We try to have several transpeople - both MTF and FTM - there for a question and answer period after the movie. Sometimes the questions can get a little odd and at times downright personal - but the chance to educate the community on trans life and issues makes it worth it.

If you have the courage to watch them I also recomend the movies "A Soldiers Girl" and "Boys Don't Cry" - Both have some pretty graphic violence at the end and both are true stories. Both bring into clear focus the problems and dangers that transfolk face in relationships.

I've also done a video presentation for the MCC General Conference in Calgary in July 2005 that my co-presenter Rev. Sue Yarber showed as part of a workshop on transgender life and issues. Public education and acceptance are a long slow process but vital if we as a community are to gain public acceptance. We've come a long way in the last few years but we have a longer way to go - anyone up to join me in the journey? :D :D

HaleyPink2000
08-09-2005, 09:58 AM
Your Comment "I still enjoyed it but I thought "Different For Girls" was more true to life".

I'm kinda Dahh sometimes, I just did not understand this comment. Sorry! :) *smile

Haley:)