PDA

View Full Version : First Six Months as a Man

Seamus_Jameson
01-09-2010, 06:06 AM
Hey Guys,

First, sorry that I've been so totally absent. I really have no idea what is going on in anyone else's life, so please don't be offended if I say something clueless. I am trying to catch up on some of the recent posts. Anyway, here is a quick update on my first six months living full time as a guy in college. :thumbsup:

I have finished my first semester of college. :D I got pretty good grades, despite taking 18 credits (that's 18 instruction hours per week for the non-Americans).

Basically, I made a commitment before school started (like Ze is considering) that I was going to live as a guy. No ifs-ands-buts. When everybody says that transition doesn't change who you are, they're right. I still feel exactly like my old self--only about a thousand times happier. For the first time in my life, I feel like I'm really "socially adjusted", whatever the hell that means. I can't possibly tell you all the wonderful things which have happened to me in the past six months. This post would be thirty-five pages long! I feel like I've crossed a lot of milestones and come a long way.

I have:
used the men's room (I haven't been inside of any of the ladies rooms on campus!);
been called "dude", "buddy", "bud", "man", "guy", etc.;
found a circle of friends who treat me like "one of the guys";
learned how to confidently assert myself as male when I don't pass;
shared my "secret" with two professors on campus so I could feel like I had some moral support;
gone on dates with three girls
. . .

All of that is a lot for such a sort period of time. Honestly, I sometimes feel like I'm moving too quickly. I still have bouts of intense depression, in which I feel like I will never measure up, be a man, etc, etc. . .

My husband is going through a tough time. Being trans has put a strain on our relationship. He's been really great--supportive, understanding, helpful--but he's not gay. So there is this really big part of him which is holding back, actively resisting my transition. He keeps "accidentally" calling me "she" and making references to me being a woman. :straightface: He says that this is because he was married to a woman for a long time and it's hard for him to remember. I believe him; I know he doesn't want to hurt me. Just, I think there is more to it than that--I think, on some level, he actually *wants* to forget that I'm male.

He hates the idea of my taking T, but we've tentatively come to a compromise. If I follow a very heavy workout routine this summer, then I can try to get a doctor to prescribe it in the fall. Then I can take it for five months as long as I keep to my workout schedule. I think this is fair, since we want to have children. Taking testosterone could destroy my ability to do that forever. That's a hard thing to ask him to take a chance on. (Not to mention my deeply conflicted feelings on it.)

Frankly, I wish I could get him to understand that his coincidental "forgetfulness" is the major reason I am in a hurry to get on T. I feel like, maybe if he could *see* the evidence of my masculine nature: the beard, the roughened skin, the deepened voice, it might finally sink in completely--he's married to a guy, ya know. I hate feeling like an alien intruder into his marriage. I want to see, definitely and for sure, whether he will still love me and want me when he totally, absolutely believes that I'm a man.

Yet, I also get his hesitance. I'm bi-sexual and I know what it means to want to be intimate with a girl. I can't, that's frustrating, and I'm asking him to be in the same position. Also, when we are seen together in public, holding hands or hugging, people will see two gay men. That's a hard enough thing for a gay man to deal with. You know. . . if people mistake me for a woman and I want to scream "I'm not a f*cking chick!", is it fair to put him in a place where everyone will assume that he's gay (even though he's not)?

The Christmas vacation was a disaster. I didn't get a day completely to myself in the entire two weeks, between family, housewife shit, work, time w/ my husband, etc. He and I traveled to my father's house for Christmas dinner. Talk about awkward and unpleasant! My husband was sick and had to spend most of the day sleeping, leaving me alone with my family. My sister pointedly and repeatedly called me by my female name, although I politely corrected her every time. My father treated me in a sort of sudo-macho way -- trying to show his support, but unable to treat me like a regular young man. And my sister's boyfriend didn't say a word to me all evening.

The only lifesaver was b/f's son. He accepted my trans status, when I first told him in mid-December, very casually. I told him I was going to be a man. He said, "but you're a woman." I said, "yeah, but people can change, can't they?" He said he guessed so and shrugged. That was that.

--Seamus

P.S. My camera is still broken--that's a very long and angry rant about uncooperative customer service with intra-office communication problems--so it will be a while until I can get some more recent photos uploaded!

Thornton
01-09-2010, 09:54 AM
Well, it's nice to see you back, Seamus. I was wondering where you went.

And it's good to hear things are going so well for you on campus. I've very jealous about your dating abilities.

I'm sorry to hear about your relationship with your husband, though. It's good he's not out to hurt you, but, it still must be very hard. I hope it all works out.

moses
01-09-2010, 10:13 AM
Seamus,

On the one hand, it's good to see you have made so much progress (I for one still dread the men's room). On the other hand, how can you use the words "husband" and "dating" in the same post? That just seems cruel to me. Do you have an open relationship? Are you doing this behind his back as a fallback position in case he doesn't accept your male self? I think I'm probably not the only one who would like to know more.

Debbie/Moses

Felix
01-09-2010, 10:16 AM
Hi Seamus and great to see you back and well :) Sounds like college is going well and you have been accepted.

Being Bi I suppose gives you a much more open view of things an all round view and I understand this completely feeling how I do about myself. I do agree it is going to be much harder for your Husband and especially when ya go on 'T' and he starts to see the man and not the woman he married so be prepared if you can for the fall out coz ther probably will be some. I am saying this because I know a couple like yourselves and its is proving extremely stressful for both sides as the Husband is not gay and he after all married a woman and that is not computing in his mind that this person was always a man and now a gay man ta boot. My friend is on 'T' and believe you me once you are on 'T' the impact it has on you is immense in every aspect, both physically and psychologically. I can say this with all confidence as I have been transitioning and on 'T' for a year now and I know what a huge impact it has had on me in so many ways.

Hope this has helped Seamus, pm me any time if ya wanna chat xx Felix :hugs:

WalT
01-09-2010, 01:03 PM
Wow, 18 credits is quite a load for a first semester. I took the equivalent of 18 credits last semester (lab and such, but labs aren't counted in with credit regularly) and it was ROUGH. Taking 16 hours (with a 2 hour lab) again this semester so I can get done with my science credits already.

I can sorta sympathize with your situation. About a year ago I dated someone who didn't want me to transition and basically did all they could to prevent me from seeing anyone about it. I'm out of that place now and it's not exactly like the situation with your husband, but I really understand the frustration of being with someone that doesn't want you to start on T. My current partner however has continued to call me "she" online and that's starting to get on my nerves because I've had the respect to refer them as "she" on everything but Facebook. <.<'

*ahem*

I hope the best but it's pretty clear that when you do start T, your relationship with your husband is going to dramatically change. And it'll hurt. It hurts because you're still the same basic person (as far as character and personality go) you started out as, you just have a new body. And that makes all the difference to some people.

Ze
01-09-2010, 03:16 PM
I'm extremely jealous of all the progress you've made. :raspp: On the husband thing, I think you'll have to definitely be clear with him. If you're dating people and he doesn't know it (he might, but the post isn't clear on that), then you have to tell him. If he still thinks you're going to bear him children and you don't want to do that, you have to tell him. The transition will be very difficult on the relationship, and it just won't be fair to him if he's only sticking around under false pretenses that he's not aware of.

I hate to say it, but the way your post sounds, this might be a choice between your husband and your transition. I strongly encourage you to sit down with him and make sure he knows exactly how things are going down. :hugs:

sherri52
01-09-2010, 03:45 PM
Glad to have you back Seamus. Congrats on your six months. I hope things pick up better at home

AllieSF
01-09-2010, 04:57 PM
Hi Seamus,

Thank you for such a detailed, open and informative post. I am happy for your progress this last semester and will be looking forward to your next semester "report card". Regarding your personal issues with your husband I wish you the best of luck. It appears that you are both very open and trying to work to a happy ending.

The one thing that worries me is the fact that it appears that you are both thinking about delaying the T so that you can have a child. I am sure that both of you have thought this out and discussed it. However, since you still seem to see some serious issues between you and your husband regarding your transition, I personally think it would be very unwise to get pregnant without those issues being worked to a satisfactory resolution for both parties. It is hard enough in a relationship when one party requires a very serious which is maybe unexpected by the other party change (FtM). As I have read here in way too many threads, it takes a long time for a lot, if not most, people to get their mind and heart around their partner coming out as a CD. Transitioning takes that way over the top and makes it even harder. It is hard for both parties to make the tough decisions and then to be able to really make those decisions happen and then live with the results. Since this is new territory for both of you, I think that a lot of time, patience and very good mature, open and honest communication will be needed. To bring an innocent child into this transtioning period without a firm comitment and understanding from both parties of what is happening now and will happen in the future will be an injustice to the child.

I have read several books about people transitioning. Two of those stand out because of the way that each presented the issues and feelings on both sides when someone transitioned from Male to Female. The first one is fiction, Trans Sister Radio, written by someone very familiar with the issues. The second one, She's Not There, is a true story about Jennifer Finney Boylan. Jennifer is a a Co-Chair of English at a New England college. I think they could be an informative read for both of you as you move forward.

Other than that I really do commend you on taking those difficult steps that you deem necessary to be Seamus. Congratulations and good luck.

SirTrey
01-09-2010, 05:17 PM
Hey Seamus...Nice to see you back....Glad you updated us on your progress....Yeah, hitting the brick wall of resistance sucks, but, on the upside, sounds like you are feeling better about yourself and more socially comfortable....It feels good to be who you are, doesn't it? :thumbsup::drink:

carolinoakland
01-09-2010, 05:19 PM
Welcome back Seamus, that's what were here for, you. I think that you should focus on your desire to go on to to prove to the hubby that you are male, but i think it's more about you wanting to shut the door on the kids issue, you want them, but you have to be honest about what a life time of having a child who you eventuall see as the reason for the delay in you finally getting to live. I know I just shrugged my shoulders and looked at my watch and said "meh, 18 years isn't that long to wait..." Yes, it was.My daughter is now 20, Carol

Seamus_Jameson
01-11-2010, 08:00 AM
Thanks everyone, for the support, warnings, and greetings. Couple of things that I should have clarified:

Okay, yeah, my husband does know that I'm dating girls. He doesn't like it, per se, but I think he sees it as an important part of transitioning. The same rule doesn't extend to guys. . . he's made clear that if I start dating another man, our relationship is over. I'm really honest with him if I feel attracted to someone else. It keeps me accountable and removes the temptation to cheat. (They taught me that in Sunday school, BTW.) And if I ever felt serious about a particular girl, I would definitely tell her that I am married and trans. That's only fair.

It's not a fall-back position. I am happy with my marriage and want to do everything I can to maintain it (seriously, if T made me feel differently, I would rather consider giving up T). (BTW, you're looking great, Felix. :thumbsup:) Also, I'm not at all sure I could take care of a woman at this stage in my life, so if anything, I would be looking for an alternative relationship with a guy.

Regarding the men's room -- it's the greatest place on earth (sorry, sisters!). It's the easiest place to pass. Everybody leaves you alone. There are ABSOLUTELY no women in there. Frankly, it's the only place on campus where I feel completely relaxed and unquestioned.

And speaking of T -- for you guys who have done it -- about how much have you paid for your initial doc. apts.?

--Seamus

Andy66
01-11-2010, 08:46 AM
I'm glad to hear you are happy, and I wish you and your husband the best. :hugs:

SirTrey
01-11-2010, 08:52 AM
Not sure how much I pay for My doctor appointments because I have insurance, so, I only pay a co-pay for the office visits....But My T (testosterone cypionate) costs $69.99 per 10 ML vial, plus needles...I do My shots every ten days, so around three a month....each shot is 1 ML....so, at three shots a month, a vial lasts Me just a little over three months...When you initially go on T, you have to have bloodwork done every couple of months, then that levels out to every six months or so, which is what I do now....Paying out of pocket, that can probably be expensive....but the T itself isn't expensive at all, unless you do the gel (which I did for the first year or so)....That IS expensive. Hope that helps. **Trey**