PDA

View Full Version : pink fog vs hypomania ?

sandra-leigh
01-14-2010, 11:30 AM
A few minutes ago, I encountered a word I wasn't familiar with, Hypomania, and now I am wondering if there is a connection between it and "pink fog"?

The overall summary didn't trigger any particular thoughts:

Hypomania (literally, below mania) is a mood state characterized by persistent and pervasive elevated or irritable mood, and thoughts and behaviors that are consistent with such a mood state. People experiencing hypomanic symptoms typically have a flight of ideas, a decreased need for sleep and/or rest, are extremely outgoing and daring, and have a great deal of energy.

But the more detailed description was evocative, particularly the last point:

According to the DSM-IV-TR, a hypomanic episode includes, over the course of at least 4 days, elevated mood plus three of the following symptoms OR irritable mood plus four of the following symptoms:

pressured speech; rapid talking
inflated self-esteem or grandiosity;
decreased need for sleep;
flight of ideas or the subjective experience that thoughts are racing;
easy distractibility and attention-deficit (superficially similar to attention deficit hyperactivity disorder);
increase in psychomotor agitation; and
involvement in pleasurable activities that may have a high potential for negative psycho-social or physical consequences (e.g., the person engages in unrestrained buying sprees, sexual indiscretions, or foolish business investments)

I wouldn't say that I have gone through Pink Fog myself, at least to any great degree; I would be interested in hearing from others who went through noticeable Pink Fog as the extent to which the list above fit at that time?

Karren H
01-14-2010, 11:38 AM
That's how I felt last night after my hockey game... Damn 6 hour energy drink!! Couldn't get to sleep before 3am.. Had lots of energy.. Chemically induced Hypomania....

They do sound simular.... Like pink fog for the general public?

Kathi Lake
01-14-2010, 11:44 AM
Oh my God!!! I'm a hypomaniac! :)

This explains everything! The lack of sleep (I usually get around 5 hours), the verbosity, the pomposity, the risk-taking behavior, the shopping binges, the constant happy mood. Wow!

Then again, maybe it's just my personality. Maybe I'm just a positive, talkative, happy person that likes to shop.

:)

Kathi

ReneeT
01-14-2010, 11:44 AM
I rather think that the pink fog is more similar to obsessive-compulsive behavior. Certainly OCD has many variations and intensities. I also wonder if CD'ers are more prone to addictive behaviors - I think I am. I find CDing to be addictive!

sandra-leigh
01-14-2010, 02:14 PM
I also wonder if CD'ers are more prone to addictive behaviors - I think I am.

The longevity of the '12-steppers' thread and the contents therein are suggestive that many CD'ers are prone to addictions (sorry, the interface I'm using now isn't suitable for me posting the link to that thread.) I stopped reading that thread a while ago; to the time that I was following it, it was certainly not clear whether alcohol abuse in particular was a primary addiction or something often triggered as a socially acceptable (relatively) mechanism for avoiding cross-dressing / transgender / transsexual impulses.

Personally, I am not prone to any of the traditional addictions, such as alcohol or drugs or tobacco or gambling or danger. The closest I get to that is that I push the limits of my skills when I downhill ski... which I do for a few hours about once a decade.

On the other hand, if one counts the "new addictions" such as using computers...

(BTW, my doctor says I do not have OCD.)

Wen4cd
01-14-2010, 02:43 PM
My 'moods' are usually a direct result of my perceived view of reality. So they are usually secondary. The primary, scary trouble comes from the fear that those stupid butt-head doctors were right, and I do in fact have a big bucket full of truth (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schizophrenia) in my head.

Anybody want some? :drink: :daydreaming: :eek::straightface: :sad: :bonk::Pullhair::strugglin :D :heehee:

Hali
01-14-2010, 02:57 PM
yup! someday a psychologist will be born who will analyse all CD behaviour and give a unified definition to CDing and explicitely analyse all what CDs are prone to thats my prophesy.

Jacquie
01-19-2010, 01:40 AM
so glad that you play hockey too.

Loni
01-19-2010, 02:19 AM
/\
|

WHAT ??

:eek: