PDA

View Full Version : A pink chili dog fog

SuzanneBender
01-16-2010, 06:31 PM
In order to not have a small novel of a post I am breaking this one up. Hang in there with me ladies. It has been a busy week and I can only type so fast.

I have always enjoyed spending time in Atlanta and luckily my job brings me this way quite often. One of my most memorable weeks in my life was last year’s SCC and now every time I step off the plane in Atlanta a warm fuzzy feeling overtakes me.

Atlanta did not disappoint on this trip and I had the opportunity to add another wonderful afternoon and evening to the catalogue of memories of Atlanta that fills my mind. Last Wednesday my role at the conference I was attending ended around 9:30 in the morning. I knew it was going to transpire this way and I took action accordingly. I quickly snuck away to my hotel room and made a quick change from boring drab man to Ms. Super Suzanne. My outfit for the day consisted of black skinny jeans, a lavender silk top, and white baggy cardigan sweater. Oh yes, and my favorite fashion trend of the year, black scruchy boots.

My next task was to contact and assemble the Legion of Feminity. This team of consists of two girls that I have been chatting with via the internet and phone for quite some time. Those of you that attest that crossdressers and transsexuals can not coexist need to meet the Legion. Angie is a beautiful TS from NYC that was down here for the same conference. Bethany is a vibrant and bubbly CD from here in Atlanta. She is one of those girls that walk into a room and 5 minutes later everyone knows her name and loves her and then you have lil ole me. Bethany had to work until 5 but said that she and her wife wanted to meet us for dinner and then they wanted to take us out to see a great blues band. Bethany also suggested that since we had the entire day we should go eat at an Atlanta landmark, The Varsity, and then go shopping at the underground.

For those of you that have not been to The Varsity, it has to be the world’s largest chili dog joint. The walls are covered with pictures of famous folks that have sampled the blissful joy of a dog smothered in chili, cheese, and onions there. I asked Angie if she was up for it and she said sure. We recovered the car from the hotel valet and set out for Peachtree Street and our close encounter of the chili kind. We made a few wrong turns because I still have a Y chromosome and often times finding myself trying to argue with an outwit the wisdom of the modern technology of my Tom Tom GPS. The additional drive just added to our tour of downtown Atlanta and the anticipation of the meaty goodness that is known as the Varsity dog. We pulled into the parking lot at about 11:30. Yes you guessed it the beginning of the lunch rush hour.

I have decided that downtown Atlanta must have only one restaurant open for lunch because although huge the place was packed. Angie being a New York City gal has no issues with crowds and she wasn’t fazed a bit. I on the other hand was totally overwhelmed. I felt like I had just walked in the center of the floor of Chicago Ag Exchange. I froze. I couldn’t think. The din of noise from the crowd, all of the photos on the walls, people pushing past and the wafting smell of fast food was overwhelming. Not to mention the fact I had no idea what to do or where to go. Angie’s hand reached through the crowd and grabbed mine. She pulled me forward out of my chili smell induced comma and into line.

Our line was about 10 people deep and it ended with a large man yelling, what’ll you have” to the lucky person that reached the head of the line. A huge menu hung over the counter and the people, obviously professional chili dog eaters, would yell back a number. The line quickly dwindled and Angie pushed me forward of her as she said, “I still don’t know what I want. You order first.” Like I knew what I wanted? I just came out of a coma and it is hard to think in that state!

“WHAT’LL YA HAVE BLONDIE” was my greeting. “ahhhh I don’t know.” He immediately got that we have an amateur look and asked if this was my first time. As I answered with a yes. I could feel the tension rising in line behind Angie. I could almost hear the other patrons thinking who is this girl challenging the norm by having a conversation. I was waiting for someone to yank me out of line for not being prepared and branding me with a Scarlet A (Amateur not Adulteress). He smiled and said, “All the newbies should get a number one.” I nodded my head in agreement. Then he said “how about a combo?” I smiled and said, “sure with a diet coke”. Then he really rocked my world, “I am sure a gorgeous thing like you doesn’t want onion breath so hold the onion right.” I smiled and he took that as a tacit agreement that I didn’t want onions. Angie leaned forward and whispered in my ear, “I think he digs you. Who knew that chili dogs in Atlanta came with a side of pickup lines?” As he rang up my order and I handed him my money and he announced to the world, “The tall beautiful blonde lady needs a number one, hold the onion, fries and a diet coke.” Angie poked a finger in my ribs and laughed as I moved with the flow to the side to wait for my order. I had no idea what a number one was, but I knew I was getting it with no onions, fries and a diet coke.

I received my food and to my delight it was the two legendary chili cheese dogs that Bethany had told me tales of. They smelled wonderful. Now all I had to do was find a spot and eat them. In the Varsity at noon that is easier said than done. Although it seems there are tables for miles in this place they are all occupied with people in a chili dog fog. Angie’s NYC instincts kicked in again and she moved through the crowd like a guided missile to find what seemed to be the only unoccupied table in the building.

We reveled in chili dog heaven for the next few minutes. All thoughts of rabbit food, tofu and counting calories washed away with every bite. Angie and I chatted and giggled as we refueled our bodies with an Atlanta tradition is anticipation of an afternoon of shopping and sightseeing.

Kathi Lake
01-16-2010, 07:21 PM
Bring it on, girl! I'm loving every vicarious bite!!

Can't wait for your next installment. Dare I say I'm waiting with bated (and not oniony) breath? :)

Kathi

VeronicaMoonlit
01-16-2010, 07:43 PM
Bring it on, girl! I'm loving every vicarious bite!!

Can't wait for your next installment. Dare I say I'm waiting with bated (and not oniony) breath? :)

Kathi

I knew that either you, Sara Jessica or myself would be the first respondent in this thread. I was tempted to respond a half hour ago. :-) And now you know how we feel with your shoppng threads. mwah ha ha ha.

Yes, Suzanne, we wait with antici---pation, the details of your tribulations shopping.

Veronica Rogers

SuzanneBender
01-16-2010, 08:25 PM
After our time in chili dog heaven we headed back to the real world. A gentleman held the door for us and as Angie walked through the guy made a crass comment about her wrapping her legs around him. It amazes me how guys can be gentlemen in one moment and a total horn dog in nanoseconds after. Men, I will never figure em’ out.

We parked in a garage just around the corner from the Varsity because once again my trusted 21st century GPS technology was telling us that we were easily only a couple of blocks away from the underground. What it didn’t tell us was we were in the vicinity of Georgia State and we would be walking across their campus to get to Underground Atlanta. The sidewalks were packed. As many of you know I am very comfy with being out and about en femme, but for some reason this was almost overwhelming. For a moment I felt like I was just stepping out of my hotel room for the first time. Maybe it was caused by the crowds and being in an unfamiliar situation or maybe it was simply the chili dogs barking, but it had been years since I felt this anxiety. I took a deep breath and walked along side Angie trying to play the part of the cool cosmopolitan lady.

Angie and I were in a sea of college students rushing to get to their next class. I looked around as we were just two more fish in that sea. Tall femme fish, but fish none the less. My anxiety washed away. Angie and I chatted about going back to school knowing what we know now. For a moment I let my mind wander and I envisioned Angie and I as sorority sisters skipping our next class to go shopping with Daddy’s credit card. The thought of it was wonderful. I told her what I was thinking and she looked at me like I was daft. “Stop daydreaming Buffy. We have nails to get done and shopping to do. And we are going to pay for it with our own credit cards.”

The underground was really cool its a mall built for tourists. The shopping is not top notch, but its still shopping. You could tell a lot of the people there, much like the Varsity, were tourists just like us. Angie wanted to get her nails done and I am never one to turn down the opportunity for a manicure and pedicure so we made our first stop the nail salon. This was your typical mall nail salon. It had multiple chairs and multiple nail techs. One other lady, Angie and I were the only ladies in the place so we had the choice of our chairs and we chose chairs looking into the mall. We sat like Queens on our thrones overlooking the commoners as they strolled by. The price for the mani and pedi was significantly less than my Salon back home but the service was surprisingly good. The ladies that took care of us were top notch and we had some great gal chat. Somehow the topic started with Ellen joining American Idol and moved onto what happened to all of the winners and public favorites. Angie opted for a dark magenta on her nails. Me being Ms Conservative went with an nice soft pink. It has been ages since I had my fingernail painted during a mani but today was special.

The women's apparel was primary boutique type stores and the apparel was very urban and young. We had a pretty woman moment. The first store we went in had the rudest SA I have dealt with in years. You could tell she didn’t like us and did not want to go out of her way to help with a sale. I found a really cute skirt and blouse that I wanted to try on and when I asked to try it on I was told that I would have to talk with the owner. When she came out I was informed that I was welcome to buy what every I liked (DUH!!!) and that they had a liberal return policy, but that their dressing rooms were only for females. I laid the clothes on the counter and said thanks, but I don’t buy clothes without trying them on.

Off to the next clothing store. The SA at this one was a gem. Two blouses, one pair of slacks, one skirt and some wonderful fashion jewelry later I was walking out with bags in hand. Angie also had a hand full of bags. We made sure we walked back in the other store and told the owner that she really needed to reconsider her policy. Girl I have to tell you that felt too good!

It was getting late and we needed to get back to the hotel and freshen up before meeting Bethany and her wife for dinner. We strolled back across campus. I revisited my sorority girl fantasy in my head as Angie and I made our way back to the car. This time I showed faith in my Tom Tom and we made it back to the hotel without a hitch. As we slid out of the car and I handed the keys to the Valet he said, “it looks like you ladies had a little fun shopping today”. I grinned and told him that every day was fun but shopping just makes them even better.

PretzelGirl
01-16-2010, 11:17 PM
Suzanne, that sounds like a great time out! The Atlanta area was the last place I lived and I can just imagine how neat going to those places while "out and about" would be, although "what'll you have" has to rank as one of the worst ways to take an order I have ever heard.

And it is easy to get lost there. You have to be able to work out whether you are on Peachtree Rd, or Old Peachtree Rd, or Peachtree Dunwoody, or Peachtree Plaza, or Peachtree Way, or Peachtree Park Dr, or Peachtree Valley Rd, or ....

Kathi Lake
01-17-2010, 12:03 AM
Great yarn so far. That's too bad about the rude clothing store owner and her lackey. Intolerance in this day and age? In the state that has more churches per capita than 7-11s? That's just unheard of! :)

I think that even my gentle little heart would have gone back with my full shopping bags and let those biddies know the score. Good for you, sis!

Kathi

SuzanneBender
01-17-2010, 09:22 AM
I think that even my gentle little heart would have gone back with my full shopping bags and let those biddies know the score. Good for you, sis!

I was really taken back by her attitude. I probably would have left and never come back, but Angie and her NYC attitude was motivation to give them the what for.

Suzanne, that sounds like a great time out! The Atlanta area was the last place I lived.

it is easy to get lost there. You have to be able to work out whether you are on Peachtree Rd, or Old Peachtree Rd, or Peachtree Dunwoody, or Peachtree Plaza, or Peachtree Way, or Peachtree Park Dr, or Peachtree Valley Rd, or ....

Sue I am surprised they let you out of Georgia because you are a peach!

krissysSecret
01-17-2010, 09:48 AM
Suzanne...wow how fun that must have been for you and Angie! I travel to Atlanta every January and July and love to go see everything there.The Varsity is a fun and loud place...I can't imagine being there in girl mode and coping with the place, especially at lunch! I'm picturing you standing there with the deer in the headlights look..lol
Glad you had a great time!

Frédérique
01-18-2010, 05:14 AM
Intolerance in this day and age? In the state that has more churches per capita than 7-11s?

BINGO!!!:evilbegon

I was really taken back by her attitude. I probably would have left and never come back, but Angie and her NYC attitude was motivation to give them the what for.

There’s something wonderful about living near the Atlantic Ocean, drinking too much coffee, and walking in dirty slush en femme that forges that amazing NYC attitude. In fact, all inhabitants of the Northeast have no problem telling people where to go – it comes with the territory, along with sea-level air pressure (and humidity). Kansas is a mythical faraway place with its own unique parameters -- I have been transformed (in more ways than one) living out here. Just like you, I would’ve left and never gone back, but, since I used to live back East, I would have been “motivated” to give them what for, since they deserved it…:eek:

Seriously, Suzanne, you should write a book about your experiences! I’m trying to think of a catchy title…:thinking: How about: Boy, I like being a girl, Can I try these on? or Hello, Trannie! Another possibility is There’s no place like my closet. :) I would definitely come to that book signing…:heehee:

Sally24
01-18-2010, 09:35 AM
The women's apparel was primary boutique type stores and the apparel was very urban and young. We had a "pretty woman" moment.You could tell she didn’t like us and did not want to go out of her way to help with a sale.
I have to admit that is one of my favorite scenes from a movie! Angie was right in circling back and giving her a virtual "DiNozzo Slap".

How did you manage 2 chili dogs without stripping all your makeup off? I once tackled a mushroom sandwich at the Cheesecake Factory and discovered to my horror (when viewing photos later on) that it had created a flesh circle all the way round my mouth. Now I only eat with a fork en femme, no sandwiches!

Sounds like a fabulous day out. I've just got to check out Atlanta one of these years! I love reading your stories Suzanne!

minalost
01-18-2010, 10:30 AM
Wow, years ago I did the same thing (in drab I'm afraid). I was at a big floor covering convention. Visited the Underground and ate at the Varsity! Both were fun!

SuzanneBender
01-18-2010, 04:41 PM
A quick freshen of the make up and a change into the LBD and my black strappy Jimmy Choo’s that I found on sale at the Neiman Marcus outlet a few months ago and I was ready to go again.

Bethany and her wife Caroline were going to meet us in the lobby of the hotel. We were staying at an Embassy Suites and it was manager’s happy hour so you know what that means…free drinks! Angie and I boarded the elevator and plummeted to the lobby. Everytime I ride in a glass elevator I think of Willie Wanka. I am not sure why I shared that?

We ordered our drinks. Angie ordered a Manhattan. I gave her a hard time for having a one track mind. I ordered a cosmopolitan. The young lady bartending smiled and said I guess it does get anymore girly than that. I was going to get a thingy of popcorn, but Angie talked me out of it? “Dear that stuff is full of butter and fat! Also it’s going to get stuck in your teeth. We are meeting Bethany and her wife for the first time. I am sure you don’t want to look like Ellie Mae.” At that moment I knew why I never liked the Yankees. New Yorkers can sling that condescending attitude towards us Midwesterners like a sharp blade and the bad part is, mush like when the Yankees beat the Royals, most of the time for some reason it is deserved. Angie was right. The last thing I wanted to do was meet our new friends with popcorn stuck all over my teeth. I grabbed a few pretzels instead.

We sat in a throng of businessmen, conference goers, and families that were imbibing on adult beverages and munching away on popcorn. Obviously, they had not heard Angie’s sage advice concerning the popcorn. I pictured them all smiling with teeth blacked out by hulls. There are moments in life where you have those Shania Twain moments. This was one of them. I felt like a woman. Not just a woman but wonderfully just any other business woman out on the road with a colleague and friend. I sipped my Cosmo and chatted with Angie drinking in not only my cosmopolitan but also the moment.

Bethany and her wife showed up about 15 minutes later. Not two minutes after meeting her in person for the first time I realized Bethany is the CD equivalent of Joy Behar. She commands a room upon entry and knows no fear. Her wit is razor sharp and her laugh is loud and contagious and she is all about enjoying the moment. Bethany is married to a knockout of a wife. Caroline is my height (5’ 11”) and looks like the middle age fashion models you see in the store ads. Her skin is perfect, green eyes, red hair and an infatuating smile. She is the consummate southern woman. After five minutes with her I felt like I was sitting at a table with Julia Sugarbaker from Designing Women. She is demure, intelligent and a very successful lawyer. She also has a southern drawl that will melt your heart. We grabbed another round of drinks and discussed our plans for the evening. I became quickly apparent that Caroline was our tour guide into an evening of living like Southern Bells. I sensed that this was a role that her and Bethany were very comfortable with and that both enjoyed. Our conversation throughout the night confirmed my initial instinct. I guess that means I am beginning to foster my woman’s intuition.

We started to walk out of the hotel and Caroline immediately took the lead as the night valet that had not met our acquaintance before stammered ever so slightly in his service. Caroline handed him the valet ticket and coyly announced, “Do be a darling and bring the car around for the girls and I. We are running a tad bit late and I just hate to be late?”

Her use of an overwhelming feminity combined with a take charge attitude pulled our valet out of examination mode and back into “get er done’ mode. “Right away Mam.” The car pulled up in no time at all and I just naturally started to reach for the door. Caroline admonished me as she started around the car for the driver’s seat, “Darling you are going to break this young man’s heart if you don’t let him hold the door for you.” I stepped back and the valet picked up the hint. He not only held the door for me. He made it a point to hold the door for each of us and wish us each a wonderful evening.

I sat in the back seat immersed in the smell of the leather seats and perfume listening to Vivaldi - The Four Season (yes this Kansas girl has a little culture) quietly playing in the background. I have to admit I was on cloud nine. Caroline drove us around downtown showing us the sights of Atlanta while she explained her version of feminism. Her view of the world is women can have their cake and eat it to and that they shouldn’t get an ounce of fat on their hips from it. “I can’t understand why more men don’t want to be women. We have it all.” was her stated view. Given her audience in the car we were not going to disagree. Her view of the world was complicated yet simplistic and helped me understand why such a successful independent woman would insist on a man holding the door for her.

We talked about fashion specifically heels and her opinion of jeans being a scourge to women’s fashion. I couldn’t help but laugh as I thought of the multiple posts that Karren Hutton has stated that same philosophy.

As we pulled up in front of the restaurant she looked back at Angie and told her, “Its your turn hon. Make sure the valet takes good care of the car.” Angie looked at me smiled and said watch this. I was forced to bend down to see through her door as she got out because I had yet to be rescued from my back seat prison by my prince or valet. Angie looked at the young man tilted her head and said in the best fake NYC southern drawl I have ever heard while she handed him a five spot, “Sweetie please take good care of this car. Her husband can be a beast of a man if we even bring it back the least bit dirty.” Angie sealed her request with a batting of the eyelashes that only Scarlet O’Hara could muster. Bethany was laughing so hard and she announced, “Angie that’s the best imitation I have ever seen of Caroline Stop it before I laugh so hard I tinkle.” That comment got us a few looks!

Caroline quipped back with a, “not bad for someone from Jeweeesie” and a smile. The foyer of the restaurant was packed. Caroline laid her hand on my shoulder,” Darling we have reservations for Shively table of eight. Use those beautiful legs and feminine wiles to get us a good table.”

I looked at her and asked, “Eight?” She answered with, “Yes dear I invited some friends from work and they are going to meet us here. Now run along and get our table. The window would be nice.”

Sounds simple enough but lets recap the situation. I am standing in a four star Italian Restaurant that is packed with people waiting for tables. I am with three gals that I have grown to adore in less than a day. Two are real life Julia Sugarbaker and her wife that just announced to most of those standing in this vicinity that she was going to “tinkle in her panties” and the other is the consummate NYC gal. Three of us are transgendered and we are being met by four people that I have never met. I must also point out that this is one of those conservative environments that make a corporate board room feel like Woodstock.

Thank goodness for Sure Extra Dry because I felt like the student in a Kung Fu movie that had been tasked by his Master to do the impossible task. My inner voice was telling me you have been in positions like this before. You deserve to be here just like anyone else and don’t forget you are a woman and we really rule the world.

I sashayed up to the Matradee as if was the new owner of the restaurant. I looked at him expecting the stereotypical what do you want sneer. However, I was met with a smile and a, “How may I help you this wonderful evening Mam,”

I explained to him that we had reservations for 8 under Ms. Shively and that we needed a very good table because we were trying to impress some clients that were coming to join us. I also slipped him a $20.00 bill as a tilted my head, lifted my back heel and said, “I am sure that a gentlemen like you could surely find a way to help me.”

He told me that my table would be readied promptly and asked if a window view was appropriate. I almost wish I had tried it without the tip just to see it Caroline’s method would have worked. As promise the wait was only minutes and soon we were being escorted to our table. I waited until my chair was pulled out from the table. I brushed my dressed under and took my seat overlooking the passerby’s and traffic on Peachtree Street I felt proud, feminine and almost regal. I think I could really dig the Southern Bell gig. My satisfaction with my accomplishment made me forget the concern about the tablemates that were about to join us for dinner.

ChanDelle
01-18-2010, 04:56 PM
What a great story; in Atlanta of all places! But you're changing my attitude towards it. I was just never there with the "right" company it seems...

ChanDelle

SuzanneBender
01-18-2010, 05:00 PM
The Varsity is a fun and loud place...I can't imagine being there in girl mode and coping with the place, especially at lunch! I'm picturing you standing there with the deer in the headlights look..lol

Now that I understand the customs of the strange and yummy land known as the Varsity I will definately go back next time.

There’s something wonderful about living near the Atlantic Ocean, drinking too much coffee, and walking in dirty slush en femme that forges that amazing NYC attitude. In fact, all inhabitants of the Northeast have no problem telling people where to go – it comes with the territory, along with sea-level air pressure (and humidity).
Seriously, Suzanne, you should write a book about your experiences! I’m trying to think of a catchy title…:thinking: How about: Boy, I like being a girl, Can I try these on? or Hello, Trannie! Another possibility is There’s no place like my closet. :) I would definitely come to that book signing…:heehee:

Now I know why Angie is like she is. Actually I find her straight forward attitude so much fun.

I love the book titles! Maybe one day..... I was thinking about Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus and I'm stuck in between on Earth.

How did you manage 2 chili dogs without stripping all your makeup off? I once tackled a mushroom sandwich at the Cheesecake Factory and discovered to my horror (when viewing photos later on) that it had created a flesh circle all the way round my mouth. Now I only eat with a fork en femme, no sandwiches!

Darling I eat chili dogs with a fork en femme or en drab. If I don't I am always wearing half the chili down my front.

Wow, years ago I did the same thing (in drab I'm afraid). I was at a big floor covering convention. Visited the Underground and ate at the Varsity! Both were fun! Atlanta is a really cool city next time try it en femme its even better!

Kathi Lake
01-18-2010, 05:43 PM
Suze, you almost have me panting for more! You rock, girl, and I can't wait to hear not only how it continues, but how it ends for you. What a ride, sweetcakes, what a ride!

I also absolutely love Caroline's view of the world, and share every bit of it. Whoever said it was a man's world, was obviously not a woman! :)

Kathi

linnea
01-18-2010, 06:22 PM
What a wonderful and delicious account. Thank you!

Teri Jean
01-18-2010, 06:31 PM
Suzanne it sounds like you all had a great time and even if you are from the midwest, me too, one can learn and have fun. Long winded I think not as it is always good to hear these outings.

Teri

Phoebe Reece
01-18-2010, 09:56 PM
Suzanne,

It all sounds like a great adventure. The next time you are in Atlanta and need a partner to have some chili dogs with, send me a message. I eat there at least once every couple of weeks. You really should try them smothered in the sweet onions they serve.

sherri52
01-18-2010, 10:21 PM
A number one and all that fraternization to go with it. You must have been on the pink cloud nine all day

minalost
01-19-2010, 10:53 AM
...for the rest of the story! What happened next?
:D

Faith_G
01-21-2010, 05:32 PM
Oh, the suspense! :nailbiting:

SouthernBelle.GG
01-21-2010, 05:59 PM
I'm getting a kick reading about your Atlanta adventure, Suzanne. I love that town. Although, I haven't had the guts - literally - to try the chili dog at the Varsity. I order the Naked Dog. :heehee:

Whoever said it was a man's world, was obviously not a woman! :)

Kathi

I couldn't have said it better, Kathi!

Sarah Doepner
01-21-2010, 06:17 PM
I've been to Atlanta, but it was never like this for me. Of course, I was always traveling with the boss and he never knew how I would have done it without him along. I'm waiting with the others for the next installment.

AllieSF
01-21-2010, 06:20 PM
Suzanne, I am waiting with bated breath for your next installment. I love your descriptions and writing style. I must say that hitting the main stream places to dine and drink in town is the only way to go, when you can. I do that a lot in San Francisco and every time it just gets better. However, I have not tried the "woman with an attitude" approach yet. The people that I go out with, like me, walk into a fine venues such as you did with that definite "I belong here" attitude. At the same time we do not hesitate to converse with everyone including the service staff who can really help make our night out a special event for each of us. Thanks for sharing and please let us know what happened next. I do not want to wait until next week's episode!