PDA

View Full Version : About Shopping

Lisa Marie
08-05-2005, 11:12 AM
I just wanted to thank all the ladies in here about the shopping tips from yesterday. It has givin me more confidence to do as I please while shopping in the ladies departments. Angie :thumbsup:

Natalie x
08-05-2005, 11:20 AM
Don't forget to send us some pictures of your purchases ;)

Jodi
08-05-2005, 03:01 PM
I have read the posts on shopping and must contribute my thoughts.

For so many years, I shopped blindly, using all of the excuses. About 6 years ago, I was looking at a nice skirt in a Limited store. An associate came up behind me and remarked how nice the skirt was and what a great price. I decided at that moment to come out. I looked her right in the eye, told her it was for me. she smiled, and asked if I wanted to try it on. It was that easy. After I tried it on and bought it, she and I talked. She was the store manager. She said that she has had many men that she knew were shopping for themselves. She just wished that they would be as open. She stated that it allows them to do their job better. She told me to come in any time and that any of the girls in her store would be happy to help me. She gained a customer. Since that time, I have been open in every store where I shop, and that includes dozens of different stores. I always try on before buying. I have several of my favorite stores where the young associate will come in the fitting room and give me opinions on the fit and style. I have never had a bad experience. When I shop for shoes in drab in my favorite stores, ie Ninewest, Kaufmanns, Macy's, etc, they expect me to try on. The secret--be confident, polite and decisive.

Another point on shopping--After I retired, I took a part time job (for something to do) at NY and Co (formerly Lerners). From my perspective as a sales associate and that of my manager, if any of you who are shopping for yourselves think you are fooling anyone, you are dreaming. From the store perspective, we can tell immediately who those are who are cd's shopping for themselves. We had a number of men shopping who, we wish would have just said, "may I try this on". If so, we would have put them in the fitting room. If you girls don't believe me, just stand back as a sales associate and watch the body language and facial expressions of those men trying to fool people.

Shopping is not only a lot of fun, it can be a great social experience. This past week, I got a special phone call from the assistant manager of the BCBG store at a local outlet mall. She wanted to alert me to some special sale items. I told her I'd come in the next day. She told me her shift was done at 2:00 PM. I asked her if she wanted to do a late lunch and the answer was "yes". Not only a nice shopping day, but also a great date with a lovely lady.

Jodi