PDA

View Full Version : I sure think about cd'ing too much, and it hurts :(

aggi123
01-17-2010, 01:07 PM
Well, it doesn't hurt me too much, but seeing stuff like this hurts. Ok, so a little back story to go with this. I was working yesterday and was in the valentine's day section of a store. I took a moment and noticed a card that stood out to me. It was this card.

http://i49.tinypic.com/22xqtj.jpg

Wow and here I am thinking, I totally misread that card from saying trans fats to transgendered. I see that trans and automatically think of me LOL. Well anyways, I decide to open the card thinking it's going to say something humorous along the lines of fat jokes, but boy was I WRONG! I was dead wrong. Instead I opened it and much to my surprise I saw this.

http://i48.tinypic.com/2yuavxi.jpg

I don't know why I'm a little upset about this, I guess it should be expected. Maybe it's just because it blindsided me, but I definitely felt like I was being compared to something in a complete bad way. Am I alone in this?

Joni Marie Cruz
01-17-2010, 01:45 PM
Hi Aggi-

For some reason the images didn't come through, or at least I can't see them on my computer. Perhaps you can retry or maybe describe it. Thanks.

Hugs...Joni Mari

aggi123
01-17-2010, 05:13 PM
oh weird, the preview had them working. Fixing now.

Jess
01-17-2010, 05:39 PM
While it is true that the picture inside the card is not very flattering, I can see the humor in it. It's a fun little play on words. Like you said, you saw the word trans, and tg automatically popped into your mind. Try not to take things like this too seriously. When we take things too seriously, we lose humor. Lost humor and over-seriousness lead to misery. Hope this helps.:hugs:

skirtsuit
01-17-2010, 05:54 PM
I dunno, I think that's pretty funny. A verbal and visual joke.

Reminds me of my favorite TS joke -

A post-op MtF TS meets an old pre-op friend. Friend asks 'what was the worst part of the transition?'

A: 'having my salary cut in half!'

All the Best,

Ann, SS

Faith_G
01-17-2010, 06:05 PM
:bovered:

Hey, I found a use for that smilie!

If you were fat would you have been offended by a fat joke in the card?

I'm with Ann and Jess, it's a joke. I'd have laughed if I got it from someone. :happy:

Nicole Erin
01-17-2010, 06:05 PM
There's always going to be some smart ass with a joke.

The nice thing is about this - when people see a CD they know in real life dressed up, they are usually suprised that the CD looks presentable instead of the stereotype.

Think about that - we tell someone we are TG and if they see us dressed, they expect the ridiculous image but we don't usually present as such and they are pleasantly suprised.

I know some trannies that are not full time might have outfits like this they enjoy for the club or in private. Or who knows, maybe some full time trannies do as well. I have a couple things I would not actually wear in public but nothing like this.
Maybe my thong that looks like an elephant and you know it has a long trunk but anyways... :o

Staci G
01-17-2010, 06:25 PM
I agree about the comments to an extent I laughed of course, but if it had been a joke about gays, or people of color, or different ethnic background then the ACLU would have been all over it and the card company. I, like most anyone else for the most part do not like being the butt of a joke, BUT if we cant laugh at ourselves then we have lost our sense of humor. SO for my final answer Regis I have to say it was funny but I wouldn't buy it :heehee:

aggi123
01-17-2010, 06:57 PM
I think most of my resentment comes from the joking I had with it before I even opened the card. I laughed at myself for automatically thinking trans as transgendered or transvestite. Then much to my surprise it actually was about that, and I'd already laughed about it? Does that make sense? It already wasn't funny before I even opened it I guess.

Kate Simmons
01-17-2010, 07:33 PM
Any exposure is better than none at all my friend.:)

VeronicaMoonlit
01-17-2010, 07:49 PM
I'm actually offended....as a trans-fashionista. Some of us go to great lengths to dress stylishly, to learn makeup, to style our hair/wear a flattering wig, to try to look as much like well dressed stylish women for whatever we're doing at the time.

But STILL, the stereotype persists that of course a transperson in public MUST be wearing sequins, feather boas, super heavy badly applied makeup, bad wigs, super high heels, because that's all they wear.

I'm insulted to the quick.

Of course some might say: "They couldn't make the visual joke with some CD/TG/TS like you or Sara Jessica"

That's the point...we shouldn't be a joke like that.

Veronica Rogers

sherri52
01-17-2010, 07:58 PM
Think of it this way, They accept us as long as we are not fat.

Engendered
01-17-2010, 08:13 PM
I think they accept us, as long as we're a joke! :thumbsdn:

But I'm very annoyed in general by our stereotypes. It's hard to come out to parents (or whoever) when the first thing they'll think of is *that*. That the reality is much better isn't much consolation at that moment. :)

Acadeca
01-18-2010, 01:35 AM
I decide to open the card thinking it's going to say something humorous along the lines of fat jokes, but boy was I WRONG!

I'm sorry you were offended, but many people consider fat jokes hurtful and offensive as well.

Joni Marie Cruz
01-18-2010, 09:49 AM
Sorry, but I thought it was funny and relatively innocuous. Then again my sense of humor is somewhat skewed anyway. The only way someone else can hurt your feelings is if you let them.

Hugs...Joni Mari