PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes the magic just ain't there

Miranda09
01-18-2010, 09:33 PM
SO, today I was going to get myself pulled together and do a photo shoot. Did the makeup, tho the eyes didn't look quite right, but I pushed on anyway. Already had the camera equipment setup from a photo shoot I gave my gg friend a couple days ago. So I started shooting, with a nice orange/yellow tunic, white leggings, white sandals, hoop earrings, and a nice tangerine color on my nails (my own, not glue on)....... (In know it's summery, but I'm ready for the winter to end). So I start shooting, look at my pics.....and hated every one of them!!!!!!!!!!! I didn't like the eye makeup (still a tough thing for me to learn, but I'll get it...eventually), I wasn't comfortable in front of the camera this time (you could tell just from my smile, which didn't make any sense since I was dancing, posing and strutting in front of the mirror...looking very cute). So decided, OK...tonight, the magic just isn't there...save it for another time!!! :rc: (had to have a smilie of some sort here....!) :)

sherri52
01-18-2010, 09:40 PM
Miranda: as crossdressers I think we are our own worst critics. You have proven that to yourself tonight. I'll be waiting to see your next group of shots

Miranda09
01-18-2010, 10:34 PM
Miranda: as crossdressers I think we are our own worst critics. You have proven that to yourself tonight. I'll be waiting to see your next group of shots

:iagree::D

Sally2005
01-19-2010, 12:01 AM
Some days are rocks, that's for sure. Save your photos and look at them again in a few days, you might change your tune. Happens to me all the time.

Byanca
01-19-2010, 12:59 AM
Save your photos and look at them again in a few days, you might change your tune. Happens to me all the time.

I've heard it several times from professionals that they hate customers stressing for time, due to they prefer to let the pics rest a bit.

A week or so on the harddrive after the shoot out could be what is needed. I suppose it's sometimes a bit like nice wine.

crusadergirl
01-19-2010, 02:59 AM
Yeah i get that too. Sometimes i just can't make one good picture its sad.

jandebs
01-19-2010, 03:42 AM
having spent countless hours in photographic studios over the years on various commercial shoots I can give you two tips:

1. Clicking the button is just a tiny, and relatively insignificant event at the end of a long, torturous process of setting up lighting, props etc.. Rehearse your pose, camera position etc., first!

2. Take fifty shots and maybe you'll get one or two that work. Bin the rest. Digital cameras are obviously brilliant for this. Whether you're an A list celeb or a mutant from mars the same rule applies.

Get used to seeing yourself looking like a dog! Good shots are often taken by accident.

Miranda09
01-19-2010, 07:44 AM
I think one technique I'm going to try is using a standup mirror, set next to the camera, so I can see myself posing while taking the picture. AND, practice, practice, practice with the eye makeup. One interesting thing about this experience is that I get a greater appreciation and understanding when gg's take so long to apply their makeup, then hate the way it turned out and have to start all over again. Creating a work of art can be frustrating!!!! :)

MJ
01-19-2010, 09:43 AM
Creating a work of art can be frustrating!!!!

your telling me :straightface: we judge ourselves to harshly most of the time. my last photo shoot was with a dear friend at scc last year.
i just can't find the magic

Jocelyn Quivers
01-20-2010, 01:02 AM
I know how you feel Miranda. I have plenty of bad hair day shoots where my inner glow just isn't there.

Bethany_Anne_Fae
01-20-2010, 01:21 AM
... and as one gets older those magic days are less and less it seems. Ah well, what can you do other than enjoy the ride as best one can ;)

*hugs*

Zarabeth

Lorileah
01-20-2010, 01:25 AM
Hey sis, if I had a nickel for every bad picture I took I'd have about 500$ ;) What is worse is when you thought you had good photos and you go back in three weeks and say OMG did I post that? It takes practice both in makeup and photos. We'll get there this year...right?

:hugs:

victoriamwilliams1
01-20-2010, 01:49 AM
I have had those days as well:) I agree we are the worst critics on ourselves. When you take a picture today and look back week or months later you will say! "What was I thinking about, I looked great!"

Miranda09
01-20-2010, 03:43 PM
Thanks everyone for all the comments. I don't feel so bad now! :)

Frédérique
01-20-2010, 06:39 PM
OK...tonight, the magic just isn't there...save it for another time!!!

Yes, everything will come together nicely at a later date – you’ll see. It really is magic when a good picture emerges from a session, even if a ton of preparation has gone into it, but photography has a way of producing (or reproducing) extraordinary events seemingly from thin air. I’m addicted to this visual magic, and it never ceases to amaze, but images fascinate me. A moment is coming for the perfect picture of you, Miranda, and I know you will capture it…:battingeyelashes:

Creating a work of art can be frustrating!!!!

Tell me about it! I’ve spent most of my life doing just that, but don’t get me started! I’m working on a piece* right now, in the other room, which is why I come here for some relief now and then…:whew!:
*That's artist-speak!

Sarah Doepner
01-20-2010, 08:54 PM
Wait, You mean to tell me that it can actually work SOMETIMES? How cool is that? I may just have to dress and do photos more often. Maybe one or two will actually not be used as examples of why men shouldn't wear makeup and women's clothes.

AKAMichelle
01-20-2010, 09:52 PM
You are just understanding the female side of things. They claim they are fat when we can't tell a difference. They talk about a bad hair day and we can't see it. I guess you have just gone over to the other side if you can understand that. :D

Alice Torn
01-20-2010, 11:32 PM
Sarah, I like your post! Funny!!! Miranda, I am from Rockford. Has this winter been like a little ice age, or more like global warming! Here in Tacoma Wa, its been in the 50's! Have you ever taken some pics outside in the snow? A few years ago, i took some here, outside in the snow, in a LBD!

IamSara
01-20-2010, 11:42 PM
Miranda,
I know the feeling. I am like that so many times and I just want to look so pretty. It is really hard to just get it all right. Can't wait to see more pictures.
Sarah :rose2:

docrobbysherry
01-20-2010, 11:53 PM
I ALWAYS think Sherry looks TERRIFIC when I'm dressed!:daydreaming:

I REALLY HAVE NO IDEA that my wig slipped. Or, a form shifted. Or, I that look like an old prostitute after a nite on the streets!:doh:

Until I see THE PICS!:eek:

And, my dressing sessions usually last 1/2 a day, at least. :brolleyes:

I COULD consider the time and effort wasted, but I DON'T! I always tell myself, " Self, u WON'T make THAT mistake next time!":)

Miranda09
01-21-2010, 07:37 AM
I agree Sherry..it really is a learning process and I have to keep reminding myself that I'm a newbee at this. BTW, I always love seeing your photos. You always look so good.

Louise, I'm not sure I'm brave enough to stand out in the snow, but does look like fun, and you look great, if not a little cold?? :)

Michelle, I agree completely. Looking at life from the gg point of view has really been an eye opener and makes me appreciate more of what they go thru to look so beautiful.

Kate Simmons
01-21-2010, 10:08 AM
We make the magic Miranda. If it doesn't seem to be working then we do what every red blooded woman does and fake it. Only we know for sure. For every pic of mine you see, there are about 9 I've tossed. We've all been there Hon.:battingeyelashes::)

Joanie_Shakti
01-21-2010, 03:51 PM
I think one technique I'm going to try is using a standup mirror, set next to the camera, so I can see myself posing while taking the picture.

It's been a long time since I've seen one of their catalogs, but if I recall, Porter's Camera Store used to sell mirrors that threaded onto the filter mount of 35mm camera lenses for the purpose of self portraits. Now, unless you're using a high end SLR digital camera, it won't work for modern cameras.

All of my recent pictures in the past year since I've embraced my dressing tendencies are done with my webcam. That way, I can see what I'm shooting on the monitor before I click. The wall behind me is somewhat cluttered looking, so I use Paintshop Pro to black out everything except for a couple of banners I have hanging. You still have to shoot many for a few good ones, but that's a habit for me anyway from my 35mm photography days.

SherriePall
01-21-2010, 04:01 PM
The way I see it, a bad pic en femme is better than a good pic drab.

And I have had many a bad pic en femme and, come to think of it, few good ones drab.

Spacey
01-21-2010, 04:28 PM
I take hundreds of photos and bin almost all of them. what is left gets the old Photoshop treatment. I don't look a thing like my pics. I have these days too where nothing is good. We are definitely are own worst critics. Chin up and try again!

Jessica_M
01-21-2010, 05:02 PM
It is so true that beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

I remember with hearing a recording of yourself.... To most people.. (I think!) ... they hear other people on the recording and it sounds fine.. till they hear their own voice... then something is wrong. I find it when trying to record my guitar solos.. It sounds fine while I'm playing, but I can't stand listening to the recording afterwards....So much so with Photos of ourselves.
I look at the photos of posters here, and I am in awe of the beauty I see.... a true feminine beauty. For some reason, we just can't seem to see it. But it's there none the less....

kellyanne
01-21-2010, 05:09 PM
SO, today I was going to get myself pulled together and do a photo shoot. Did the makeup, tho the eyes didn't look quite right, but I pushed on anyway. Already had the camera equipment setup from a photo shoot I gave my gg friend a couple days ago. So I started shooting, with a nice orange/yellow tunic, white leggings, white sandals, hoop earrings, and a nice tangerine color on my nails (my own, not glue on)....... (In know it's summery, but I'm ready for the winter to end). So I start shooting, look at my pics.....and hated every one of them!!!!!!!!!!! I didn't like the eye makeup (still a tough thing for me to learn, but I'll get it...eventually), I wasn't comfortable in front of the camera this time (you could tell just from my smile, which didn't make any sense since I was dancing, posing and strutting in front of the mirror...looking very cute). So decided, OK...tonight, the magic just isn't there...save it for another time!!! :rc: (had to have a smilie of some sort here....!) :)
The desire is there or it is not is my experience.

In younger days when I dressed without desire - it was like wearing outdoor clothes indoors.

" these are not the right clothes for this atmosphere but I know I will need them if conditions change "

Celeste
01-22-2010, 09:43 PM
Same thing happens to me Miranda.I do like to save them though and try to determine exactly what it is that I don't like about them.That way something good can come from them.You mentioned using a mirror to pose from,another good idea is to turn your tv into a monitor through a camcorder,have it behind your camera so you can look directly into the camera and still monitor what your doing.

Miranda09
01-22-2010, 10:11 PM
The tv as a monitor is a good idea Celeste. I may try that sometime. As for the pics, I usually keep them and review them at later times, but for some reason, this time I just tossed them all (only a couple dozen so no big deal). I guess I felt particularly frustrated that evening. :)