PDA

View Full Version : Report from My First Ballet Lesson

JamieG
01-19-2010, 10:54 PM
Edit: Read more recent replies for updates on subsequent lessons.

In an earlier thread (http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123328), I mentioned that my wife and I had signed up for beginning ballet lessons together. Earlier this evening, I completed my first class. As promised, here's my report...

Things started off not so good. My wife has been ill for the last few weeks, and can't kick a nasty cough. She was up most of last night, and despite getting a good nap this afternoon, decided it was best if she didn't go. We still had the baby sitter coming over, so she could get her rest while I went out. I was a little nervous to have to go on my own, but forced myself to get over it. Despite the encouragement of a number of crossdressers.com members to wear tights and leotards to class, I decided to play it conservative. I wore black running tights, black socks, an underarmor tee, and a white long sleeve tee over the underarmor. For the trip to the studio, I pulled some track pants over my tights. I'm a little modest in guy mode. :o

The class is held at a large college gym, and it took me a little while to find the dance studio. There were a number of women outside in tights and ballet slippers, so I assumed I had found the right place. I introduced myself to an older woman who I mistakenly thought was the instructor and we chatted a little bit; both nervous because this was our first class. Finally the instructor comes out and asks us to enter the studio. Unfortunately, we have to walk through the basketball courts to get there! I'm not sure who designed this building. As if it isn't hard enough to get men to dance, let's make them parade past the "macho" guys on their way to ballet class. I get off my track pant and slip on my ballet shoes.

More and more people filter in to the class, til there's almost thirty people there. Ages range from 20 to 60, so I'm right at the average. There was even one other guy there. I feel glad that I didn't go with a more risque outfit. Although many of the ladies were in tights, there were plenty of leggings, sweats, and shorts. Only one young lady wore the traditional white tights and black leotard. The other guy was in shorts and a tee, and apparently he's majoring in dance education, so it would have looked a little weird for this complete novice to significantly outdo his ballet uniform.

Although the class was advertised for beginners, there were six intermediate students who got additional steps. Seeing them was quite intimidating. Class started at the barre, and I had a hard time keeping up. Fortunately, I studied a little terminology beforehand so I knew the basic positions, and what plies and tendus were. Even so, I had to keep watching the other dancers. I had trouble staying on the counts and switching to the next step. Whenever we had to let go of the barre and balance, I wobbled. Then we took the barre away and worked in the middle of the floor. She taught us some combinations and once again I had trouble keeping everything straight. One involved sixteen rapid jumps in the air with changing of feet positions, followed by a plie, a few sidesteps and a raised leg; only then to repeat again. Talk about tiring!!! Another exercise involved taking four steps across the floor leaping while raising one leg to the side (I think in "retire" position for those who know the language) and continuing across the floor. I felt I really messed this one up.

Despite my feelings of being completely lost at times, the instructor was very supportive. She said I was doing well, and even commented that I "was built to dance." Apparently, I can naturally bend in ways that dancers often work very hard to do. That made me feel pretty good.

To make a very long story short (sorry about rambling on so much), the class was difficult but great fun, and left me with a desire to learn more and get better at it. I only wished I had started sooner. This week I'm going to try and practice the things I remember. My toes and legs are already sore, I can only imagine how hard it will be to walk tomorrow.

Dee2U
01-19-2010, 11:12 PM
Congratulations! the first class of anything is the hardest. You had to go without your security blanket (your SO). It was not cowardly to go to the first class in more subdued dress. First impressions are important and you just want to be one of teh dance students. I would not be surprised if some of the GGs dressed down for the first class for just the same reason.

I am envious of your flexibility. When I studied dance some 30 years ago it was a big struggle for me, especially my hamstrings and groin. Personally you inspired me a bit. I strted doing some jazzercise and other aerobic videos en femme last week. I am much stiffer than I have ever been. Oh well I am having fun and burning calories - over 3lbs of Xmas weight in a week (although I am dieting too).

Wow that was too much about me. This was just supposed to be a cheers type post. Have fun and keep us posted on the classes....Dee

NancyTO
01-19-2010, 11:26 PM
Great post Jamie. Glad to hear you had fun and found you had some natural talent.

I would love to take a ballet class myself and wear some of the tutus and leotards, tights I have bought off Ebay. It would be pretty ugly though. After 25+ years of being a long distance runner, I have the flexibility of an old sandal.

Keep us updated on future classes.

celeste26
01-20-2010, 12:31 AM
I understand that ladies never sweat, they glisten, so did you get a good workout? Tired, sore? I know just how hard a dance class can be and the dedication it takes in spite of the soreness and pain at times.

I think its wonderful that you were able to actually get through the first class and hope you can enjoy many more.

Rachel Morley
01-20-2010, 12:46 AM
That's awesome. When I was younger I always wanted to do either ballet or tap. I never did either ... I was too chicken to go on my own :o ... so kudos to you! :)

LisaM
01-20-2010, 11:17 AM
Sounds like fun, Jamie. What did you mean by wearing something more risque?

jenna_woods
01-20-2010, 11:19 AM
I am sso glad you had a great time,the frist time is always the haqrdest.

Vieja
01-20-2010, 11:47 AM
Jamie the picture of you walking past the basketball players was good for a few chuckles.

Vieja

Nicole Erin
01-20-2010, 11:53 AM
you will get better but expect to work hard. Balance will be the hardest thing to develop.
Also as you get more comfy going, you will shed the security blanket and dress as you want.

At home if you practice, even if you do not have the proper equpipment, you can still work on flexibility and things like pliƩs or jumps. Even the back of a kitchen chair can serve as a barre of sorts.

But yeah once again, really be careful of the turnout. Ot os sp tempting and esay to force it but that is what causes knee problems.

JamieG
01-20-2010, 11:55 AM
I understand that ladies never sweat, they glisten, so did you get a good workout? Tired, sore? I know just how hard a dance class can be and the dedication it takes in spite of the soreness and pain at times.

I guess I'm not a lady then, cause I certainly sweated. It was a great workout! However, rather than being exhausted afterward, I felt rejuvenated. Despite sleeping poorly the night before, I was up til 11:30pm last night posting this thread. My legs and toes are still sore, but I think that's partly due to being out of shape. I haven't worked out in about three years; mostly because I couldn't find a method that didn't bore me. Now I get to work out and be feminine (at least in movement, if not appearance) at the same time, so I hope to stick with it a while. I know I've only been to one class, but right now, I could see myself doing this every week for the rest of my life.

Sounds like fun, Jamie. What did you mean by wearing something more risque?

I simply meant that I didn't wear a men's leotard or a unitard, nor did I wear women's tights with the leotard on the outside. "Risque" was probably the wrong word. I probably should have said "risky," as in risking exposing myself as a crossdresser. Right now there are only two people outside of the TG community that know Jamie, so I'd rather not have her "fall out of the closet" in a sea of pink and sequins :doh:. I'm not ashamed of who I am, but I want to control who gets to know this special side of me.

LisaM
01-20-2010, 03:56 PM
Thanks, Jamie. Now I understand--at first I thought you were trying to explore ballet in your female mode.

CamillaCD
01-20-2010, 06:36 PM
I went shopping for ballet accessories last saturday. After a search on the net I found a couple of shops here in Oslo and randomly just selected one of them. The shop keeper, who had been a professional dancer, was very encouraging when I said what I had in mind. I did it simple and just bought a pair of nude colored shoes and white tights. I figured I could use a tank top beneath a black running t-shirt.

So this tuesday I drove to the studio right after work. It is located in the midst of a residential area with single family housings, and looks just like an ordinary house. In fact, for many years it housed a family, while at the same time being used as a ballet school. The family moved out many years ago and the rooms on the ground floor have been converted to a reception area, offices and changing rooms. The dance studio occupies most of the first floor.

The girl at the reception was very friendly, so most of the butterflies went away there. So after the registration I got changed. While waiting for my class I had a chat with a mother who was waiting for her daughter to finish her class. She didn't find it odd at all to see me in tights and ballet shoes.

The class was adversised for youth/grownup beginners, but those rules obviously weren't very strict. Of the 11 students 3 must have started elementary school last year and half of the teenagers had done some ballet before. So I took care of being the grown-up male beginner. At the barre the instructor placed the ones who had done it before at each end. It did help a bit to be able to watch them.

My experience from the class resembles Jamie's. The best for me would be to learn the combinations in small increments and then do them 100 times. When the instructor had finished showing a combination, either at the barre or later in the middle of the floor, I was still busy processing the first couple of steps. So I got the start ok but then lost the details on where to put the feet.

Despite all this I got a good 75 minute workout. Not the kind gasping for breath, but I worked up a good sweat and felt that I had used my muscles. I think that when I learn the combinations the workout will be even better.

So yesterday I paid the fee for the semester, all 14 weeks.

sherri52
01-20-2010, 07:36 PM
If you continue to take ballet and you manage to keep up with the class, even if you didn't get good at it you would help your girlish figure

docrobbysherry
01-20-2010, 07:47 PM
And, a little bit jealous, too!:brolleyes:

JamieG
01-22-2010, 12:43 PM
The class was adversised for youth/grownup beginners, but those rules obviously weren't very strict. Of the 11 students 3 must have started elementary school last year and half of the teenagers had done some ballet before. So I took care of being the grown-up male beginner. At the barre the instructor placed the ones who had done it before at each end. It did help a bit to be able to watch them.

Camilla, thanks for sharing your experiences. I'm envious that you only have 11 students in your class, I can barely see myself in the mirror at my class because it is so crowded (half of us have to stand at portable barres in the middle of the floor). However, I'm glad I don't have any elementary-age girls in my class. I'd feel really out of place there. I felt odd just seeing so many college-age women, since I expected that my class would be mostly middle-aged women (the instructor had suggested that the typical ages were 30-60).

My experience from the class resembles Jamie's. The best for me would be to learn the combinations in small increments and then do them 100 times. When the instructor had finished showing a combination, either at the barre or later in the middle of the floor, I was still busy processing the first couple of steps. So I got the start ok but then lost the details on where to put the feet.

Yes, you would think that in a beginner class they would go a little slower. At least in my case, I think many of the students were continuing in the class from the fall, so that may explain why things go fast. I can understand not slowing the entire class down for a few new students.

Despite all this I got a good 75 minute workout. Not the kind gasping for breath, but I worked up a good sweat and felt that I had used my muscles. I think that when I learn the combinations the workout will be even better.

Yes, that's how I felt. I'm still a little sore from Tuesday. Funny thing is, pointing my toes and doing ballet stretches tend to make the aches go away. Maybe I'll just have to dance my way through the rest of my life. :)

So yesterday I paid the fee for the semester, all 14 weeks.

Glad to hear it! My semester is only 8 weeks, but I think its very likely that I'll enroll in the next one when the opportunity arises.

Randee
01-22-2010, 06:26 PM
Jamie,
Good on you for being so bold as to attend class with your wife ill. And you found that others were holding off dressing in leotards and tights (save one, thankfully) until they saw what the others were in. Now you can still start wearing leotards and tights to class by attending with your wife when attends with both of you dressed to compliment each other. Just start by choosing matching outfits that are modest and unisex like your basic black short sleeve scoopneck leotard and black tights. Or you could be in basic and she could be in more feminine styles. Or presenting yourself as a colorful pair with maybe you in tights matching her leotard and her tights matching your leotard. Then you can switch combinations from there. You will look like a fun couple and it won't have to have anything to suggest crossdressing unless you are in explicity feminine leotards. Above all, keep it fun.

Your account just reminds me so much of the wonderful times taking jazz/ballet class with my gf a few years ago. Mine was a much more cozy a class than yours with usually 6 ladies and myself, better to get to know each other in class.

JamieG
01-27-2010, 02:41 PM
I had my second ballet lesson last night. This time my wife, K, was able to go with me. We got there a little on the late side, and saw all of the ladies waiting in the hall for the studio to open. Seeing everyone in tights and ballet shoes, K remarked "I feel like I'm going to an audition."

I enjoyed the class, but felt that I didn't do as well as the first time. I don't know if I was holding back because my wife was there, or if it was something else. Still, I kept up okay with most of the exercises, although I still struggled with one of the routines in the center. Later that night, I think I figured out what I was doing wrong, but I'll have to wait til next week to confirm with the teacher. In the meantime, I've ordered a ballet book and a DVD to help me come up to speed. My legs are not nearly as sore today as they were last week. And I definitely feel like I'm building up strength in my ankles; which should be helpful when walk in high heels! :)

K didn't enjoy the class as much as I did, making the valid point that it was way too crowded. She had some training as a little girl and is used to classes with roughly 10 people and plenty room to move. Still, she intends to keep going with me. It's fun to share this with her.

PetiteDuality
01-27-2010, 06:10 PM
It's funny, but this post made me remember about my first feminine experience (pre-crossdressing?)

At home, we had (well, it still exists) a very old child encyclopedia (it was old when I was I child). It consists in several books with different subjects (3 per book), like baseball, horses, snakes, cars, drawing... and of course, ballet.

I remember reading about it and watching the pictures and the positions, and I felt the urge of imitating these girls. I remember locking in my room, and practicing secretly these movement. I had a feeling that it was something to hide (as with my first crossdressing experience)

So I guess that ballet is the root of my crossdressing :eek:

Thanks for bringing up those lost memories...

Sarah V
01-31-2010, 05:35 PM
Jamie: Congratulations on taking the class and do keep up with it. I have taken adult recreational ballet classes for years and just love the exercise, keepin in shape with out bulking up or running my legs off. I understand your feelings on where you and your SO are in fitting into your class at the moment. You are right in that many of the students are carry over's from the previous semester, so they do have more of the basics down, but again, don't worry you will catch up. To me you do seem to be enrolled in a rather large class for an adult beginner type class and this will make it more difficult for you to learn.

Since you are taking class at a local community college, my guess is that many of the "adult" students in the class are younger college students taking the course for PE credit. Community colleges do this all the time, in that they will advertize a class such as yours for the community, but it acturally is coded as a p.m. PE course for students to take. My current adult class that I take only has 5-6 other ladies (all past college age) and me (well past college age) in it. It is the perfect size class to learn in. Look around your community and see if you could find another class with a smaller class size, I think you would enjoy your class that much more.

Try calling around to any of your local dance studio's to see if any of the instructors would be interested in you taking private beginners lessons from them, since no one else is offering an adult class. Who knows, you might find the rare instructor who would be willing to teach you and let you dress for class as a lady.

Persephone
01-31-2010, 06:00 PM
I enjoyed the class, but felt that I didn't do as well as the first time. I don't know if I was holding back because my wife was there, or if it was something else. Still, I kept up okay with most of the exercises, although I still struggled with one of the routines in the center. Later that night, I think I figured out what I was doing wrong, but I'll have to wait til next week to confirm with the teacher. In the meantime, I've ordered a ballet book and a DVD to help me come up to speed.

You are doing such a cool thing, Jamie! And it is so great that you are really getting into it and working at it.

It's like the frustrated New York dancer said when the lady asked her, "How do you get to Carnegie Hall?"

"Practice," she sighed, "practice."

JamieG
02-03-2010, 12:57 PM
I don't know if anybody reads this thread or cares, but as long as I have something new to say, I'll keep with the updates...

So for my third lesson, I decided to take my ballet outfit to the next level. In the past, I've worn black running tights and a baggy long sleeve tee. This time, I decided to wear mens footed ballet tights (in black) and a white, long sleeve Under Armor-style compression shirt. (Sorry to disappoint those who were hoping for pink tights, leotard and tutu). I don't know if anyone here has ever worn mens ballet tights before, but they are not as comfortable as women's tights. They're really thick and don't roll up into a donut as easily. They also have a seam down the back of both legs that then goes down the middle of the sole of your foot. Men always get the shaft with clothes! However, once I got them on, I got used to them, and left them on for a few hours after returning from class.

Once again, my wife joined me for the lesson. As usual, we wait outside those ridiculous basket ball courts you have to walk through to get to the dance studio. When its time for class to start, we all process in. I'm engaged in conversation with my wife when suddenly WHAM, a basketball smacks me in the side of the face. :Angry3: The kid who apparently airballed his shot for the basket comes over all apologetic, and given that I was wearing tights (underneath track pants) and about to enter a ballet class, I didn't want to make a scene. I just told him to be more careful, and although I didn't say this, I'm glad it hit me instead one of the genetic ladies.

Once again, the class was fun and good exercise. The one hour and 15 minutes seemed to fly by. The good news was there were fewer people there; enough missed class to make it feel like you weren't crowded at the barre or on the floor. I hope that some people have dropped out, and that it'll be this size or smaller here on out. I'm still convinced that this is something I want to do for the rest of my life, and have started thinking about how I could take a second class so I don't have to wait a whole week for ballet. I've ordered a book and a video in order to practice at home, and the book arrived in yesterday's mail. During the commercials of the "Lost" season premiere (my wife and I are huge Lost fans), I kept on flipping through it.

Persephone
02-03-2010, 01:04 PM
I'm here and enjoying your posts, Jamie! I think that what you are doing is great, and I'm so glad that you and your spouse are having fun.

Really sorry to hear about the smack with the basketball. That hadda hurt!

I'm still convinced that this is something I want to do for the rest of my life, and have started thinking about how I could take a second class so I don't have to wait a whole week for ballet.

Wow! You are seriously falling into the deep end of the pool! Just be careful that you don't overdue the stress on your body. Otherwise, enjoy!

Hugs,
Persephone.

VeronicaV
02-03-2010, 02:24 PM
Congrats Jamie on surviving your first class! Plus you've got a leg up with your dancers build! I took a class in the fall of last year at a local college. It's absolutely true; just because it's a beginners class doesn't necessarily mean the pace will be slower, that was my experience too. I'm soo uncordinated myself, but when you love to dance, you just keep with it because with every class it will becomes second nature. Also, don't worry about the basketball players, if recent sports articles are any indication, some of them may be wearing tights too. :-)

CamillaCD
02-03-2010, 05:05 PM
I had my third lesson yesterday too.

My choice of colors are just the opposite, white mens footed tights and black on the top. The seams on my tights goes on each side of the sole though. I don't intend to mix crossdressing and ballet in the class. Knowing myself there is a great possibility that I will go onto the 'net and order a tutu and dress (if I can get one in XL), but it will be only for home use.

The class is getting more comfortable with each other. This time we even interrupted the instructor to make her repeat some of the moves and do them more slowly. A big difference from the first lessons, my we were a shy group of people. There are moves that I still don't get right. When I do get them right it will be much more fun. So I see myself doing this for a long time.

I have told some of my coworkers (2 GGs and 2 guys, they don't know I CD) of me trying on ballet. The subject of what they do to keep in shape came up one day. After they had told what they did I just let it out. None of them raised any eyebrows. They thought it was a cool thing to do and a perfectly valid method of excercising.

SherriePall
02-03-2010, 06:59 PM
Jamie -- I'm still following your ballet adventures. That's one thing I don't think I could do, even if I were able to attend classes dressed. Keep up the good work.

Kate17
02-03-2010, 07:24 PM
Jamie

I also enjoyed reading your adventure.

Karen Francis
02-04-2010, 11:55 PM
I am absolutely quivering with anticipation waiting for Jamie's next installment. you go girl... Karen

JamieG
02-05-2010, 12:44 PM
I have told some of my coworkers (2 GGs and 2 guys, they don't know I CD) of me trying on ballet. The subject of what they do to keep in shape came up one day. After they had told what they did I just let it out. None of them raised any eyebrows. They thought it was a cool thing to do and a perfectly valid method of excercising.

Camilla, that's cool that you've told some coworkers. I've been meaning to tell two of my closest GG work friends, but have yet to find the right opening. I was talking on the phone with my parents the other day when my mom asked, "So what have you been doing for extracurricular activities these days?" This would have been the perfect time to tell her about ballet, but I chickened out. Right now, the only people who know are my wife, our babysitter, and of course the class.

Speaking of which, I ran into one of the young ladies from class on the street the other day. We both smiled and said "Hi" and went on our ways. Maybe I'm just imagining things, but it felt more like a GG-to-GG interaction rather than what you would typically expect when a GG passes a guy who is just an acquaintance. After all, we've never spoken in class.

Sarah V
02-06-2010, 09:29 PM
Jamie:

You must be wearing the same brand of mens tights I wear to class (Capezio mens professional ones....btw) You have described exactly my "strugle" to get into them twice a week for class. And I thought I was the only one. They are great dance tights and hold up very well. Like most of us, I take class as a guy usually wearing black dance tights and some sort of dark t-shirt with my black Bloch mens full sole leater soft shoes. I have a pair of split sole soft shores which seem to be more popular with the other ladies in my class, but I have not started to use them yet.

However, when I practice at home I stick to the more traditioal ladies dance wear. And yes, ladies tights are much easier to wear and dance in. I can really notice the differance when I dance.

JamieG
02-07-2010, 09:58 AM
You must be wearing the same brand of mens tights I wear to class (Capezio mens professional ones....btw) You have described exactly my "strugle" to get into them twice a week for class. And I thought I was the only one. They are great dance tights and hold up very well. Like most of us, I take class as a guy usually wearing black dance tights and some sort of dark t-shirt with my black Bloch mens full sole leater soft shoes. I have a pair of split sole soft shores which seem to be more popular with the other ladies in my class, but I have not started to use them yet.

Yup. I have Capezio MT11's. I also wear Bloch full sole leather shoes. We could be twins! :) I've heard from a few people that M. Stevens makes a really comfortable pair of men's tights that some women even like to wear. I have to pick up a pair sometime and see if I like them better than the Capezios.

JamieG
02-17-2010, 12:58 PM
Hi everyone,

No, I haven't quit, nor have I given up on updates. Class was canceled last week due to snow, so I had to wait two agonizing weeks for my next ballet class last night. My wife wasn't feeling well, so I had to go on my own again. Class was 1/3 at the barre, 1/3 in the center, and 1/3 moving across the floor. I got a lot more personal feedback from the teacher this time; about equally compliments ("Good", "Better", etc.) and corrections ("Close your feet", "Bend your back," etc.). Still, I feel fairly lost in class. I'm hoping after a while it will become second nature to me, but right now I feel like a bumbling oaf. The good news is this just makes me want to try that much harder. The problem is it's difficult to improve when you only have an hour and 15 minutes a week. I try to practice steps at home, but its not the same. I'm going to hang in there and see where I stand at the end of the session. Til next week...

marthaCD
02-18-2010, 05:45 PM
Jamie:

If you are in PA shoot me an e mail as I cannot e mail yet and I can give you the name of a small studio where there are only 4 or 5 dancers and you can dress in a leotard and tights as I did.

Also see my post in the old thread.

marthaCD
02-19-2010, 07:54 AM
Hi Jamie:

The thing that is so difficult and why I quit was that this is not like running or personal training. As you get physically tired you still have to be mentally sharp for over an hour as to the count, the movement, the balance, the position and you have to have the confidence to be the lead student at the barre which means not watching the student in front of you but rather the teacher who may or may be not moving ( sometimes they sit in a chair)

As i mentioned in my post on the other thread you would benefit from a very small class and a few individual lessons during the week you take class. Also the Melissa Lowe video from years ago and available on line is good for home use as you only need a chair for a barre and a mat for the stretching. The turns will make you dizzy until you understand how to delay your head rotation and you really need the personal attention that you will not get in a large class you are in. I can remember some nights there were as few as 2 students when 3 did not show up. A studio is more private and they will arrange for guy dressing rooms if needed.

All of you are getting bent out of shape about leotards and tights. The main issues are whether to wear the tights under the leotard like the ladies or wear them over. If you shave your legs its no big deal to wear women's as long as they are black. Nude does not cover as well for a color. If you do not cover up and your leg hair shows that is a big no no. You can still buy women's then and you can wear a second pair of nude tights or sheer to waist pantyhose underneath for cover up. Try Capezio number 8 convertible mesh in black with a back seam or whilte with another layer underneath. The back seam is very flattering. They are full fashion and wear very well.

Some dance wear stores will tell you Bal Togs is all unisex leotards anyway and one store has a "mans" scoop neck long sleeve that is Bal togs. A private studio is going to be more understanding of this dress as you will be dressing like a dancer in a strictly dance environment.

Maria in heels
02-19-2010, 08:10 AM
Jamie...
It is truly wonderful that your wife and yourself can take this class together. My wife is understanding, patient, and supportive, but I don't think that she would ever try a class such as this together with me. Kudos to you both!

morgan51
02-19-2010, 08:17 AM
Jamie Congratulations on your sticking to this what a wonderful thread really makes me think!!!!!

marthaCD
02-22-2010, 09:08 AM
Hi Jamie and Gurls:

La Femme Finishing School in Piscataway NJ has ballet classes or tap for those wishing to dance en femme. The proprietor Ellen can provide individual lessons at that location. If she has more than one student she can arrange for a studio. She will conduct the classes as she has had dance training in ballet and tap. She also can arrange a studio for any of us in the Valley Forge, PA area which is outside Philadelphia as well. You can find LaFemme if you Google LaFemme Finishing School, NJ. I am planning to attend and I hope many of you gurls will do the same and get in touch with her to make this class happen.

regards

martha

JamieG
02-24-2010, 12:55 PM
I had my fifth ballet lesson last night, and it was the best experience yet. First, class was a bit smaller (about 20 instead of 30 people). This makes it less crowded at the barre, and easier to see yourself in the mirror. Second, I felt like I did a much better job keeping up with things. Sure there were times when I lost my place and forgot how I was supposed to move next, but frequently I was able to recover quickly.

Much of the class is repeating things we learned in previous classes, with the addition of a new step, or making a combination more complicated. For example, we learned to fondu last night (no, I don't mean dipping food in melted cheese; its a move where you support yourself on one leg and lower the body by bending the leg), and then we did a combination that worked that in with some of the other things we have learned.

The instructor has been very encouraging, saying that my body is well-designed for ballet (e.g., I have significant natural turnout and flexibility, even at my ripe-old age). My weak spot has been on movement and balance. However, after class last night, she said that I was improving very quickly in that area. At the end of class, she asked me "You love this, don't you?" I just smiled and replied "I'm not embarrassed to admit it, I love ballet!"

It's hard to believe that a couple of months ago, I had to work up the courage just to take the course. If I had let myself been paralyzed by fear, I would never know the joy I now feel. It's a shame that due to gender stereotypes, I was deprived of the chance to experience this same joy much earlier in my life.

JamieG
03-03-2010, 04:27 PM
... and still going strong. I don't think I did as well last night as I did last week, but I still thought I had a good lesson. Things were basically more or less the same pattern, work at the barre, some combinations on the floor, and then a combination across the room that involves a jump. I think I've nailed one combination that we've learned before, and did okay with another one we just learned last week. However, I really struggled with a combination where we do a waltz-step, and then run and do three consecutive leaps (called jettes). I just couldn't get the timing of my leaps down and I felt quite uncoordinated. But, I imagine it will be great fun to run and jump through the air once I get the hang of it.

As an aside, I think the only other genetic male in class has dropped out. Now, it's just me and the ladies. Also, class size is getting to be more manageable, with about 22 people, instead of 30 as on some of our worst nights.

jenifer m.
03-03-2010, 06:34 PM
very cool jamie.you are much braver than me.my hats off to you girl!.

Randee
03-03-2010, 06:55 PM
Jamie,
Great progress. Your classes are going much like my jazz/ballet classes from years ago. We occasionally had another guy join our class for a week or so, but it eventually boiled down to me and 6 ladies. By then with every one else being female, it's hard for them NOT to treat you as "one of the girls" even though they were very glad to have a guy in class with them. You might find it easier then to push toward the dance clothing you would prefer. I bet if you said something about starting to wear a leotard and tights to fit in better, or have your wife suggest it, you will get a lot of support. I did restrict my choices to dark solid colors and basic leotard styles. The gals in my class were almost insistent that I continue that attire once I joined them. And that included strolling over to the convenience store down the strip center for a soda with them in our dancewear, something I would have never done alone! Your experience brings back some amazing memories.

marthaCD
03-05-2010, 08:10 AM
Hi Jamie:

I have two bal togs mens leotards. Both are black and one is a tank top and one is a short cap sleeve. I would try something like that with black tights worn over the leotard to start. You will look totally in place. Ask the teacher where you can buy a mens leotard so she knows you want to go in that direction.

You could also ask her if she does private one on one lessons? I am sure she has a studio in your area and she would welcome the business and perhaps can order you some dance wear.

mar

JamieG
03-07-2010, 09:46 AM
very cool jamie.you are much braver than me.my hats off to you girl!.

Jennifer, I don't really think I'm that brave. I'm not presenting myself as female in class, and I'm not doing anything than many male ballet dancers haven't already done. I think it's actually braver for a straight, non-CD, boy to take up ballet despite the stigma of it being "girly." The tights and learning to move just like the ladies (at least in beginner classes; in advanced classes males begin to learn different techniques) are benefits for me; but would pose obstacles for many prospective male dancers. Furthermore, could you imagine the teasing male tweens and teens get from their peers when they choose to take serious dance lessons? I think any such boy is much braver than I.

Randee
03-07-2010, 03:09 PM
I think it's actually braver for a straight, non-CD, boy to take up ballet despite the stigma of it being "girly."

Best answer I have heard for that (and used) was--'Why lift weights when you can lift WOMEN!'

JamieG
04-02-2010, 11:59 AM
Sorry for the silence lately. Since my last post there has been one more ballet lesson (we had a week off, then I missed a week for family reasons). My last class didn't go so great; the combinations were very complex, and I couldn't keep up with most of them. It was very frustrating. That semester has ended, but I'm signed up to start a new 8-week semester with the first class next week. I'm determined to become a better dancer. Given that a typical session has really nothing new to report other than what moves I learned, I'll probably stop providing weekly updates, and only fill you in when something of general interest happens.

By the way, I finally bought a (men's) leotard, but haven't worn it to class yet. I'm thinking of trying it in the second week of this semester.

Jamie

Abbyru1
04-02-2010, 03:24 PM
It's got to be tough to keep up. Congrats on trying to at least.

Dee2U
04-02-2010, 03:48 PM
Like so many good habits, easy to start; hard to keep up with. Good on you to return even though you needed to miss a few classes. You go back knowing you are behind in learning the routines as well as rusty. The fact that you went is the big thing. Hang in there and good luck next semester....Dee

Cassandra Lynn
04-02-2010, 03:55 PM
Keep posting please......you just might convince me to do it as well! Actually i would love it and i'm sure it is a wonderful workout. I'm a rather odd mix of being both clumsy but with good balance, believe it or not. I just had umbilical hernia surgery on monday, but as soon as i'm all healed up it is back to a serious fitness program. Before the hernia made itself known i was doing a combination of basic wieght work, cycling and some "core fitness" stuff. I use a dvd made by a company called Arcadia and it is working on mainly the thighs, hips and butt. Kind of a mix between pilates and yoga.
Anyways, i spose i could check around and see what is available as for ballet classes. I can just see how it would be great for developing not only the body but helping with the feminine grace as well. So thanx and keep it coming. mj (Cassie)

JamieG
04-07-2010, 12:01 PM
Last night was the first lesson of my second ballet session. I know I was rather down when I reported from the last class of the previous session, but this past class was terrific. Although some of the same ladies have returned, and a few new ones have joined, the class is much smaller, only about 20 people total. This meant there was plenty of room at the barre, and everyone got some personal attention from the instructor. I picked a spot that allowed me to see myself in the mirror (unlike my regular spot last session), and I think this helped me with my movement. The lessons were more at my speed (perhaps to help bring the new people up to speed) and I never felt completely lost. The only down side is a dance-related injury -- I stubbed my toe on a jump at the end of class! Now I'm walking with a limp.

Oh and funny thing happened, a guy wandered in the middle of the class, and said something about not realizing it was only girls. The instructor pointed me out and said all are welcome, and invited him back next time. He seemed embarrassed, and I don't expect we'll see him anytime soon. Still, it was kind of nice being lumped in with the girls, even in my male ballet attire.

Randee
04-08-2010, 10:58 AM
Fun being treated like just one of the girls in class isn't it. A couple of guys dropped in and took a lesson with us. In once case, I remember shortly after he left, one of the ladies turned to us and said, "Next time, he'd better be in leotards!" as were all the rest of us. The other ladies all agreed.

marthaCD
04-22-2010, 08:37 AM
Hi Jamie:

I had my 4rth dance class this past week with LeFemme. Please shoot me a private e mail if you get a chance.

best wishes

mar

AmberBallet
05-01-2010, 12:53 AM
Hi Jamie,

Love hearing about your adventure. So many similarities to my adventure.

I've been dancing for about 5 years but it wasn't until a year ago I finally decided to move forward with what I was wearing.

I used to wear a black nylon lycra unitard and t-shirt down past my waste. My teacher who is SO supportive in our all adult ballet studio. I told her how I really wanted to fit in as one of the girls and just wear pink tights and a black leotard just like some of the other girls. She said just do it! I don't dance in femme but just feel wonderful.

My first experience was totally amazing.... I was really nervous about wearing my pink tights and black leotard. There I was sitting outside of class. I made up my mind and turned off my mind that would normally try and knock me down and say what a fool I was. Best decision!! I was SO confident and I LOVED dancing in tights under my leotard just like the girls!

My teacher was so cool...she even complemented me in front of the whole class... saying if I had legs that looked as good as yours.... I'd wear pink tights too!! I blushed hugely!!!

Now I can't wear what I used to wear. She even encouraged me to take Pointe class!!

~Amber

leotarded
05-21-2010, 03:05 AM
Hi Jamie,

Thanks for sharing your experiences...reminds me of my college days when I attended a few modern dance classes. This was the mid-80s so the half-dozen women students were all in lycra leotards and tights of varous shades. I wore my longsleeved black lycra scoop neck unitard with a white t-shirt on top, and thoroughly enjoyed every minute - no-one batted an eyelid at my attire.

About the same time I attended some yoga classes in central London wearing the same outfit, and was complemented by the teacher - she complained that men too often covered themselves up in 'inappropriate' baggy costumes making the line of the body difficult to detect.

So to anyone thinking of pulling on a leotard, tights or catsuit for class - just do it - you'll be SO glad you did!

eluuzion
05-21-2010, 11:59 AM
It sounds like you are having a great time.

I was involved in martial arts & kick boxing from grade school years thru college years.

To me, boxing is like a ballet...except there's no music, no choreography, and the dancers punch each other...:love:

jus' kidn'..:hugs:

marthaCD
05-25-2010, 11:43 AM
Jaimie:

When your session is over I would inquire about private lessons. At that point ask if you can dress en femme. You have nothing to lose. Just say you want to dance a female part. I know its difficult but at some point the drag will win out over the drab. My ballet teacher is doing a show this fall and wants me to dress en femme. I cannot wait. Of course it will be at an all TG event in northern New Jersey. Anyone interested shoot me an e mail.

Best Wishes,

martha

MrKunk
05-25-2010, 04:04 PM
sweet I absolutely love ballet, but I know that what little family that already know about my cross dressing are taking it tough and ballet would probably be too much for them at the current time.

JamieG
06-02-2010, 12:46 PM
Hi everyone. I am still taking ballet lessons and loving it. In fact, I'm about to sign up for a third session of 8 classes. It has now been over four months, and I thought this would be a good time to reflect on the experience. Here are some observations:

1) I feel that I am slowly developing more graceful movement.

2) I find myself working ballet movements into my everyday life (when nobody's looking). For example, if I need to reach something on the ground, I might do a plie, instead of bending over. I might do a balance (a waltz step) to move across the room to get something.

3) I love the way my legs feel the day after class; they don't ache anymore, instead there is a strong, yet feminine, feel (it's probably just psychological, but that's how I feel)

4) I am becoming more flexible. Every class we've been doing this painful stretch of our legs by placing one leg on top of the barre. As a result, while standing, I can now lift one leg so it is pointing perpendicular from my body or I can stand on one leg and lean forward so that my torso and my other leg make the top part of a "T". One day it would be great to be able to lift a leg so that it points straight up and is held close to the body (like some ballerinas and figure skaters do). I don't know if I'll ever get there, but we'll see.

5) None of the women in class seem bothered by having a guy in class with them, and many are quite friendly.

6) Wearing tights is becoming mundane. I used to keep them on the whole evening after class, but lately I come home, grab a bite to eat, and immediately shower. This might be in part that the warmer weather makes the tights less comfortable, but I think this habit will probably continue when fall comes.

7) I'm still not comfortable sharing the fact that I take ballet with my friends and family. A few natural opportunities have arisen in conversation, and I've chosen not to volunteer the information. I won't deny it if asked, but no one has ever asked.

That's all for now. Keep dancin'

Jamie

JamieG
06-17-2010, 03:39 PM
I started a new session of ballet classes this week. It's the same instructor and level, but she always adds new things. The class is a bit larger than last time, maybe 25 people. I'm still the only genetic male. There are a lot of fresh faces, including a number of younger girls (at least two tweens and a few teens). For some reason there presence makes me slightly uncomfortable, perhaps because young girls are likely to be more critical of others and less worldly than older women.

I mentioned in my last post that none of the women seemed bothered by my presence. Well, this time there was one woman, accompanying her teen daughter, that I think might have been giving me the stink eye. Perhaps she thought that any guy perverted enough to wear tights and come to ballet class was sure to attack her daughter? Hopefully, I completely misread her attitude. We'll see if I get any more bad vibes from her in the future.

As for class, I think I did really well. I kept up with most of the combinations (putting sequences of steps together), but I have to work on perfecting my technique. I'm really starting to enjoy the end of the class where I am dancing in synch with all of the ladies, because I can actually remember and do most of the steps now.

On a side note, an online dancewear store had a big sale and for $50 I bought two leotards (one in black and one in pink), a pair of pink tights, pink ballet slippers and a tutu! I don't plan to wear any of it to class (well, maybe the black leotard would work), but it will be fun for my at home practice sessions.

CamillaCD
06-18-2010, 11:36 AM
I am getting a bit envious about the seemingly continuous ballet class offerings in your area. My class ended two months ago and at the moment it seems that this kind of class is not going to be offered in the next term. So I guess I'll have to get a DVD and do things at home :sad:

Shelby
06-18-2010, 12:10 PM
Give the Stink Eye Mom some time. If you think it continues, try to find a moment to talk to her and mention that you couldn't help feel like she looked bothered y your pressence. If she says no, not bothered at all - fine, then just talk. If she wonders why you are in the class, be honest and tell her you enjoy it, and it is something to do with the wife (if she is still in class with you) or that you and your wife started together and that you enjoyed it and kept going.

I know of a guy who has been taking dance lessons with a group of women for years. He is the only guy in the group and they do jazz and tap routines at the recitals. Some of the movements are a little girly but no one ever gives him crap about it. Not to mention he is with 20 adult women and some are total MILFs. In my opinion, he is very smart.