PDA

View Full Version : How do you shop?

ladyboy_jessica
01-22-2010, 12:44 PM
As Jessica I am new to shopping. I've ordered a few things online but I'd really like to go out and shop for clothes in an actual store.

I don't know if I'm ready to step out on the street as Jessica, so I'll go as my boy half.

What reasons do you all give for shopping in the womans section? Especially since I'll be choosing clothes that will fit me, the sales assistant might actually be able to recognize the clothes or for me.

Just say they're for my girl friend, special other, who is about the same size as me?

Sarah_new
01-22-2010, 12:49 PM
TBH, there is no point in lieing about it because a, they don't care, really, a sale is a sale and b they've seen it all before.

Also if you're honest you get more help from them.

If you're worried about the whole idea, go at a quiet time on a quiet day. I find 9:30-10:30 Tuesday and Wednesday mornings are good. Also if being noticed is an issue don't shop in your home town.

Everything femme I've bought I bought in store, mainly en drab, but most recently en femme and I've never had a problem with any sales assistant. Most knew it was for me, as all were helpful when I asked for help and advice.

Kimmy55
01-22-2010, 01:25 PM
Your best bet is to say"These items are for me".Hopefully and quite frankly I'm sure they will understand and if you frequent the same place often enough the sales staff will even point out sale items,etc that will look good on you.Just relax

melissacd
01-22-2010, 01:28 PM
Jessica,

I am totally honest, if asked. I say that the clothes are for me. Of course the dead give away is when I take a handful of clothes and go into the change room.

Most sales associates do not care, many are very interested and seriously want to help you. While they are interested in making a sale, I have found that many are at first intrigued and then genuinely interested.

Be confident of who you are.

Melissa Paige

Starr
01-22-2010, 01:32 PM
i don't say anything, it doesn't matter who you are buying things for. If you were working in the store would you care who the person was buying things for; not really but you would be happy about selling the products.
i did buy some things at a Deb's one time and the two young girls behind the counter where ringing up and bagging my things when the one bagging said are these for you girlfriend. Before I could answer the one that rang the items up and saw the sizes just smiled and looked straight at me and said "why no, they are for him" and i just smiled back and shook my head yes as I took my bag and walked out the door, still smiling.. You see she knew but she really didn't care, might have been a little talk after I left since the girl bagging seemed to be new there.

Linda St. John
01-22-2010, 01:36 PM
Let's face it, most of the SA's don't care and after the initial gawking are just happy they have something to talk about later !
You'll never see them again especially if it's Walmart in a large town.
Shopping in person sure beats the on-line experience...

MelodyS.
01-22-2010, 01:41 PM
I do all my shopping in male mode and while I do get nervous I find it is not that hard to do if you just ignore everyone around you and just do it. I do shop at places that are far from my place so it lessens the chance of running into anyone I may know. I have yet to be asked who the items are for. Many men buy clothes for their wives/girlfriends, it is very common.

Just take a deep breath, bring a bottle of water with you, take a drink from it before going into the store and don't worry about the people around you. If you go early in the mornings on a weekday the stores are not so busy.

Joni Marie Cruz
01-22-2010, 01:45 PM
Hi Jessica-

Good for you, girl. The first couple of times are always the hardest, just like almost anything else in life. As the other girls said, the sales people won't care who they're for, they're interested in making a sale. Looking all embarassed and popping out with, "If they don't fit, can 'she' return them?" just sounds so lame, like they haven't heard that one from guys buying girl clothes before.<lol> Yeah, I used to do it, too.

Now, whether in girlmode or endrabbe, I just pick what I want, try it on if I need to, and hand over the plastic. If someone offers to help and asks if it's for me, I don't mind saying it is, but I don't always volunteer it either. Just go for it and if any of the sales staff even looks at you sideways just take your hard earned money and go somewhere else.

Have fun and let us know what you scored.

Hugs...Joni Mari

Jason+
01-22-2010, 01:56 PM
My shopping is done mostly in male mode other than ladies shorts or jeans, some boots and nail polish. If an SA asks I'll tell them it's for me. The other ladies have already mentioned they probably have an idea and I have noticed I get better help if I just tell them what I want or need. If I know I will be looking at shoes I make sure I have on pantyhose instead of socks since that's how I'll be wearing the shoes I buy anyways. :D

I reached the point where I will try it on before I take it home because it's easier than having to return it and I am less tempted to keep something that doesn't fit as well as I would like it to. I liked the idea about taking a bottle of water and having a sip before you march right on in and take care of business, and to 99% of the places you will go it's just that, business.

Joni Marie Cruz
01-22-2010, 03:02 PM
Sorry for any uncomfortable experiences you may have had, however it's only clothes. Bits of cloth cunningly sewn together. Nothing about shopping for any sort of clothing is bad, wrong, illegal, immoral, or inherently harmful to anyone. The fact that someone else, male or female, may find the sight of a man shopping for women's clothing somehow offputting is no reason not to.

Hugs...Joni Mari

sherri52
01-22-2010, 03:16 PM
Tell the truth you'll get help from the Sa who will probably love you for it. You also have a better chance of not having to return to the store for the ones hat don't fit.

AllieSF
01-22-2010, 03:33 PM
I understand your feelings Kelly. However, I am only concerned what others think when the other person is important to me for some specific reason, e.g. family member, friend, someone I work with, etc. Otherwise, their discomfort "will not" become my discomfort. That is their problem not mine. Yes, I get nervous sometimes when shopping in drab, but I deal with that as best that I can. As everyone else has recommended saying that it is for you when asked is no big deal, unless you are close to home. However, assuming that you are not extremely large (man-sized), answering a sales agent with "it is a gift" or "it is for my SO/daughter/mother/etc." works well too. If they believe you fine, if not, so what. You answered a question and now let's finish the purchasing process. Good luck.

Kathi Lake
01-22-2010, 03:48 PM
How do I shop? Just like I eat - hungrily, with great abandon, and often! :)

Everyone here is correct. Stop making excuses that no one will believe. Tell them proudly that the items are for you, that you are a bit inexperienced, and are looking for help. If you don't get that help, ask for another person. If you still don't get help, go to another store.

Enjoy it. Shopping rocks - whether in boy mode (like I did yesterday) or girl mode (which I'll do next week, maybe).

Kathi

SuzanneBender
01-22-2010, 04:04 PM
Kathi we are kindred sisters. I to shop with the reckless abandon of a teenage girl with her father's credit card! Lets face it were are making up for lost youth.

Most of the ladies here are right including some of the the gurus of shopping like Kathi. Be honest. Tell them it is for you. You will save money in the long run, you will get good service, you will get what you want and you will have a ball doing it!

I shop in both boy and girl mode. This past week I went shopping in both modes. In boy mode I think I tried on half the shoes in nine west the other day.

What's the worst that can happen? You get an SA that doesnt want to help. If that happens go to another store or find another SA.

ladyboy_jessica
01-22-2010, 04:51 PM
Thanks ladies for all the replies!

I'm pretty excited for my first shopping trip!

Now do you all wait for the SA to approach or go looking for one?

msbrownskinned
01-22-2010, 05:31 PM
I usually shop online but once I purchased a wig in person.

Nicole Erin
01-22-2010, 06:18 PM
Jessica,

I am totally honest, if asked. I say that the clothes are for me. Of course the dead give away is when I take a handful of clothes and go into the change room.

Most sales associates do not care, many are very interested and seriously want to help you. While they are interested in making a sale, I have found that many are at first intrigued and then genuinely interested.
Melissa Paige

Thus is my experience.
Once in a while you get some bonehead who might say something dumb like "Hmm buying pantyhose I see..." but clerks could care less. They will not remember you unless you shop there often.

And with them asking who it is for, I have not had that happen. If they do just say something like "Oh I was just looking to see if anything new came in that I want" and be serious about it.

I mean if you start in with stories, they are gonna know you are BS'ing anyways. If you just act confident like it is the most natural thing in the world, they ain't gonna give you any hassle.

Also, in small stores the SA will typically ask if you need help. That can be annoying :S
One thing I used to do when I wanted an SA was stand in the pantyhose section. I don't know why but sometimes they break their legs trying to run to you fast enough to see if you need help.

Joni Marie Cruz
01-22-2010, 06:42 PM
Hi Jessica-

Looking for help kind of depends on if you need it or not. I don't mean that to be quite as dumb as it sounds.<lol> You'll probably need some help in figuring out what size you wear and most sales people are pretty good at figuring it out just by looking. If you're comfortable with it, just tell whoever approaches you that you're shopping for yourself and tell them you need all the help you can get. They'll be glad to help you and I bet you'll walk out happy with your first experience.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Hugs...Joni Mari

Now do you all wait for the SA to approach or go looking for one?

Lisa Marie
01-22-2010, 06:49 PM
I purchased a wig a couple of times in a wig store the lady was real nice and helped me out with choosing what I wanted to try on. No need to be afraid!

Karren H
01-22-2010, 11:15 PM
I shop till I drop......

and always try them on in the store before I buy.... and never make a lame excuses... Who cares what anyone thinks.......

Fab Karen
01-23-2010, 06:40 AM
If you need sales help, just be honest. They've seen it before. If you make up stories, mentally they'll be rolling their eyes.

Danni Kay
01-23-2010, 06:46 AM
As Jessica I am new to shopping. I've ordered a few things online but I'd really like to go out and shop for clothes in an actual store.

I don't know if I'm ready to step out on the street as Jessica, so I'll go as my boy half.

What reasons do you all give for shopping in the womans section? Especially since I'll be choosing clothes that will fit me, the sales assistant might actually be able to recognize the clothes or for me.

Just say they're for my girl friend, special other, who is about the same size as me?

You could give an excuse (present for your girlfriend or sister, Halloween) but it will be a better and more fulfilling experience if you just start telling the truth that the clothes are for you. 9 out of 10 SA's won't care or will think it's cool.

Most guys don't buy clothes, jewelry, make-up, or feminine accoutrement for the women in their life (unlike women, who will buy guy's things for their men), so the sales staff are probably already "on to you" anyway, just by you being there. Just be forthright. That way, you can try on the pretty outfits in the dressing room!

Annie D
01-23-2010, 07:02 AM
Yes, I shop as Annie but am pretty selective about the stores that I frequent. Once I am inside the store browsing, I am not a bit nervous.

I also shop for feminine outfits in drab and even take my selections into the changing rooms. I have never had anyone who counted the number of articles say a single word. The day before yesterday, I returned two articles of clothing that I purchased on Tuesday, but failed to try on, and told the SA that I foolishly bought them without trying them on in the store. Yes, I was dressed as a male. Not a word or raised eyebrow.

I have yet to enter mall to shop as Annie for fear that I would be recognized. I stick to Ross, Marshalls, Catherines, Lane Bryant, Dots, Payless, DSW Shoes; you get the idea.

The more you do it, the more confident you will become.

ladyboy_jessica
01-23-2010, 08:45 AM
I'm going to the store today! I'm so excited I keep pacing around the house.

I highly doubt I'll buy anything today as I want to just look around and feel what it is like to be en drab and going through the womans section without another woman there.

Who knows though, right? I mean I could actually go in and see something gorgeous that just screams "buy me!", and if it does I'm so going to buy it.

crsdrs
01-23-2010, 08:46 AM
I like shopping in the christmas rush - near valentine's day & near mother's day! Kinda blend in and easier asking for help!

Cheryl T
01-23-2010, 08:56 AM
I don't give a reason when I shop drab, I just shop.
My money is as green in drab as in dress and no one really cares who the clothes are for.
I do prefer to shop dressed so I can try things on and not have to do a lot of returns to get something that fits properly and looks good on me.

Jessatheone
01-23-2010, 09:07 AM
I don't actually shop much in person (as in actually purchasing the items I look at.) I do however work in retail and get a chance to "browse" on my way through the store and if I see something I like I will go shopping with my S.O. and point out to her something that I want. Sure I'm hiding but I feel so clever:D

Joni Marie Cruz
01-23-2010, 09:38 AM
Hi Jessica-

Yay, good for you. I'm with Sara, I think you should get your girlside a little something even it's just a pair of sox (girl ones, of course) or some earrings or a scarf or whatever. Or half a dozen complete outfits, for that matter!<g> Have fun, let us know what you got.

Hugs...Joni Mari

Genifer Teal
01-23-2010, 09:53 AM
While shopping in boy mode I stumbled upon a great idea. Leave your coat in the car. This works best in winter. The result is that most people assume you work there. Just about every time I do this I get asked random questions from other customers. It is kind of funny. You may want to do some recon so you actually can tell them where the bathroom is. lol

Gen

Deidra Cowen
01-23-2010, 10:24 AM
Just suck it up and go! Some people are going to give ya funny looks, the SA at the cash register/checkout is going to know something is up but just buy what ya want and go! In boy mode if you are in the closet please be careful about shopping near home or where ya might know someone. I would recommend a trip to another city within a couple of hours travelling distance.

That being said I rarely if ever shop in boy mode...in girl mode I am in total disguise, I feel safe that if I see someone I know I won't get busted and frankly I enjoy femmy shopping.

There is just one drawback, you can get lots of stuff way cheaper off the net. So shop for fun and just to get out and buy little from the stores. Get on da net for the majority of cloths, thats my opinion anyways. :doh:

msginaadoll
01-23-2010, 11:30 AM
Im not the biggest shopper in drab. Its funny but its almost like I feel I dont belong there or that Im shopping for somebody else. But in Gina mode I go to town I get that intent look on my face shooting laser beams from my eyes when someone gets in the way of my sale item.

Elle1946
01-23-2010, 11:58 AM
I mainly shop on line for shoes, because the stores do not usually have my size. But, I do brouse the stores to see what they have that I like so that I can order them. My other cloths either from the racks or online. Just depends on what I see that I like.

Janet Bern
01-23-2010, 02:43 PM
If you have gotten far enough to say "It's for my girl who is the same size", you have pretty much told her it is for you. So, it may be a way to make you think you have fooled her (SA) but she probably knows its for you. As you try on you could tell the truth because she is aware it is for you. Don't you realize that we are in stores shopping every day and there are millions of us out here and in the stores.
Janet

linnea
01-23-2010, 02:52 PM
I tell the truth. Sometimes the SA may ask a pointed question that suggests that she knows, other times I don't say anything at all (depends on what I'm shopping for and what I'm buying). I always respond to the question of whether or not I need help by saying something about what I might be interested in: "I'm looking for a nightie" or "I'm trying to find a black skirt."
I find that the SAs are very supportive; some are curious; none have been intrusive.

Bootsiegalore
01-23-2010, 03:32 PM
That being said I rarely if ever shop in boy mode...in girl mode I am in total disguise, I feel safe that if I see someone I know I won't get busted and frankly I enjoy femmy shopping.:

Ditto! I always go in girl mode....

t-girlxsophie
01-23-2010, 03:57 PM
I dont really make excuses when shopping for new clothes anymore,though at first i always said they were for the woman in my life:D Shop assistants are usually too busy to worry why a guy is buying female garments

if any do get huffy with me,I put purchases back on the shelf,and take my custom elsewhere.Respect is a two way street

Having said that my favourite episode buying sophie something came in a boutique,where the Security guard kept following about the store.
Finally she approached me saying "can i help you sir" with the emphasis on SIR.well i turned round to her,held cute little top up to my Body,and Asked her "do you have this in my size" that set her back on her heels,and needless to say she never came near me again the rest of my time in the shop :heehee::D:tongueout

KerryLynn
01-24-2010, 09:02 AM
I shop til my credit card screams AAAAAAAAHHHHHH no more!!!!!!!!:devil:

kimdl93
01-26-2010, 12:33 PM
I shop in a number of favorite stores, but never en femme. That is because of my physical appearance, however. Still, in the stores I frequent, the SAs know me and I have made no pretenses about buying for my wife, and of course at 6'2" is pretty obvious.

the first time I shopped in a store, I bought some stay ups and panties. the clerk checked the size on the stay ups, and asked if I meant to buy the "F" (those being for big girls of course) When I confirmed the size, she asked me to wait a second, then ran back to the stock room and came out with an unworn, but open package. She gave them to me, because they couldn't sell opened merchandise.
What a doll! I shopped there regularly after that experience.

Crissy Kay
01-26-2010, 12:50 PM
I do some shopping in drab, when I need to. So far the SA's have not said anything when I pay for stuff. I guess the wedding ring on my finger helps!!!

wanda jackson
01-26-2010, 02:06 PM
When I first started buying things for myself, I would be SOOOOOOOOOO nervous and would often leave without buying anything because the "vibe" wasn't just right. It was almost as if I had to have someone who was understanding or sort of accepting. I would give all kinds of lame excuses as pre-emptive defense against judgemental SA's.
But as I got braver, or maybe as I cared less about what small minds thought of me, I started just going in and looking and picking up what I want and buying it...when there is no long line at the check-out, of course!
Shopping with a GF or friend that is a girl helps...they know the secret ways of the female shopper and can speak the language.
I was in France last month and did a lot of shopping with my GF. She would keep asking me (in english) "is this your size?" or "do you like this"...even though no one could understand her, it still made me feel nervous and like it was drawing attention to me. It really made me nervous when she would hold something up to me to see if it would fit! She wanted me to go with her into the dressing room and try stuff on but I just couldn't do it. But once I figured out that I'd never see any of these people again, I quit caring and felt less inhibited.
Shopping on-line is the simplest solution. It's anonymous. But you can find plenty of businesses and people that will be very accepting and helpful. I found so many great people on e-bay selling fantastic stuff and I was very upfront with everyone that it was for me and everyone was very cool and accepting, some were even very encouraging.
I still can't get used to the way women will aggressively invade your personal space to get to something in the women's department! It seems like if you're looking at something, even if you're a man, they have to look at the same spot! :heehee:

Samantha_Smile
01-26-2010, 03:03 PM
Its worth mentioning that ebay is becoming more and more filled with big sellers who list very close measurements of their wares.
Also, stuff is cheap on ebay, and if it needs to be returned, then clothing is not hard to package.
Internet shopping is the way forward.
The only things I MIGHT suggest buying in person are heels (you gotta be able to walk in them) and wigs (these generally cant be returned)

Avoid all the hastle or embaasment you might get in a shop.
Internet FTW!

JaniceToms
01-26-2010, 06:33 PM
Clearly if you want to preserve discretion then shop in a town away from home, that's a given. I have given up attempting to fool sales staff with stories that they see through in an instant. The preceeding posts are spot on, any sales person has seen this hundreds of times over and heard every story under the sun, they really dont care. If they do ask I tell them the truth.

That said I have generally found that I get a better response if there are two staff in the vicinity. A figure that a sales woman on her own feels threatened, goodness knows why because we are surely the least threatening of customers, but to be kind I always make my purchases in shops that have multiple staff around.

I also have formed a policy of always rewarding friendly and helpful staff by purchasing something, even if its just a pair of stockings. I suspect that the crossdresser that is the least liked is one that asks for a deal of assistance then walks out without making a purchase.

Roxi Loh
01-26-2010, 07:41 PM
I shop all the time in boy mode and I have yet to have anyone ask if it is for me. I wish they would so I could say it was. I was shoe shopping today in a lifestyle store that caters to crossdressers etc. The SA and I had a great conversation about finding shoes in a size 12. She takes an 11 (GG) so we could relate. I was in VS one time and the SA asked what I was looking for and I told her a bra and panties...she pulled out only sizes that would fit me and just asked demi or full...thong? etc. She knew exactly. I did spend a lot of money that day.

MimiLee
01-26-2010, 08:09 PM
I shopped a couple of times at Macy's as boy, but was always nervous as hell. I think the SA's looked at me as if I were a shoplifter! Lol. Now I just do all my shopping online.

Karen__Starr
01-26-2010, 09:12 PM
I have learned that if you are shy about shopping for female clothes in either mode than you just may miss something you really want. For instance, tonight on the way home (in guy mode) I went shopping for juice and raisins and was going to leave. Well I remembered I needed some new thigh highs, found them and turned around to see a 40% off sign on some shirts so I checked to see if my size was available and it was, two left so I grabbed one. Of course, I spied more sale signs and noticed there were some jeans on sale. Went over and found two pairs that I really liked but one style had my size and the other did not. Now size is not enough, I looked to see if the inseam was on the tag and it was not so I simply put the jeans up to my side and saw they were right. Throughout the entire shopping trip shopping for female items I simply went about my way and did not worry about woman who were there shopping too. If I was concerned about the other woman, my bet is I would have missed the pair of jeans I purchased which I am wearing now.

After a few misses on sizes (assuming you purchased clothes without trying them on), returning them and trying a smaller or larger size you will learn what size to purchase. Also over time, you will gain confidence as most do and not worry so much about shopping for female clothes. Next thing you will be doing is grabbing an arm full and trying them on. This is how I got confidence to shop in female mode, first male mode then female mode, which I have been doing for several decades now.

As others already mentioned, sales people on whole are not concern with what you are purchasing other than pointing out sales you are unaware of or complimenting you on great purchases.

JaytoJillian
01-26-2010, 09:16 PM
I always shop in drab. For me, shopping en femme would be a waste of dress-up time. I prefer to save that time for clubbing or snapping pix

mylieanna
01-26-2010, 09:23 PM
i like shoping at victorias secret online, they have real pretty clothes and such, i would like to go into an actual store one day to try some stuff on, but im not that far yet lol.

BLUE ORCHID
01-26-2010, 10:17 PM
Hi L.B.

Just go shopping find what you want and buy it.

Orchid

Danielle76
01-27-2010, 03:18 AM
Yeah, don't worry about "giving a reason"...who cares? You'll probably never see these people again. It's not like you'd be the first guy to buy womens clothing, especially since there are guys out there, though they may be few, that legitimately buy clothes for their women sometimes...

I was also scared as hell when first buying in public, but the more you do it, the less you care. Really, just as a previous poster said, they've seen it all before and 99.9% of the time, could care less.

RachelPortugal
01-27-2010, 04:19 AM
I have only ever bought a wig online, otherwise I have bought virtually all my wardrobe whilst shopping with my wife.

Whilst shopping alone I have picked up a couple of pairs of shoes. One pair went through the checkouts with the weekly food shopping and another with a baby's dress, bought as a gift for a friend's new baby, which did cause the checkout assistant to comment that the shoes were a bargain at £1.

A couple of days ago, Em and I were looking for new shoes and boots for both of us. The sale racks in New Look were crammed with loads of very small (3-4) sizes and large (8-9) sizes. Lucky me, I take a 7-8. Em looked along the racks and commented that there were so many size 9s with really high heels and platforms it was apparent that the store was expecting to sell to cross dressing men.

I shall exhibit my purchases soon, I bought some shiny black ankle boots with turn down cuff and 2-3" heel and black suede sandals with a 5" stiletto heel. Off to Primark next where they have quite a selection at £2 or £3 a pair!

:)

Rachael

AliceJaneInNewcastle
01-27-2010, 06:22 AM
I shop as male or female depending on whether I have the time to dress. I'll shop in the same shops regardless.

I don't make excuses or pretend. There is no reason to tell someone why you're shopping in a particular section unless asked. If you were in male mode and shopping in a men's clothing store and someone looked sideways at you, would you volunteer that you were buying a present for your brother/father/son/boyfriend/whatever unless it was true? No. The same applies to shopping for women's clothing.

Always be polite, and don't hesitate to ask an SA for help. I've found that it's much easier to ask a SA and get help than to be a male alone in a ladies clothing store. People actually pay less attention if you're with an SA.

About the only thing I've ever bought online has been a few of my wigs. Everything else I've bought in person, and I don't remember ever having a problem with an SA.

Keely
01-27-2010, 06:26 AM
Always in drab. I just go in and buy what I want.
Sure I get a bit a nervous once in a while but I don't let that stop me. No SA has ever asked me if I'm buying for myself.

AliceXXX
01-28-2010, 12:27 PM
I go in normal clothes, in a store where there arn't many people and I don't hang around one section too long so people think I'm just passing through thar area of the store, I pick up what I need and head to the till

kimdl93
01-28-2010, 12:43 PM
I shop in drab, or very discretely partial dress...usually a top, heels and stockings to express my girly side :) By now the ladies in my favorite shops know me pretty well, so I don't even attempt to hide the fact that I'm shopping for myself.

AShley AShes
01-28-2010, 04:26 PM
Your correct... I do the same.. They help you or they walk away. I normal like the older ladies they all seem to smile and be very helpful.

transcarrie
01-28-2010, 06:51 PM
I always buy my shoes online, because there are no stores that carry my size except payless and I already have all 4 pairs they carry in my size. Everything else in my closet I picked out and tried on myself, 1/2 the time I would ask the sales associate for her opinion. :eek: Makes a great conversation starter, and turns out that is how I met my best friend. Now if I could meet someone to help me with a job....:chatterbox:

Bunny Girl Zoe
01-28-2010, 07:07 PM
Upto now shop online but love have the courage to go into shops and buy woman clothes. only had courage as love some more items.

geri-tg.
01-28-2010, 07:09 PM
Like a mad women in heat.

Janet Bern
01-29-2010, 10:22 AM
As a few of us have said, We all think everyone is looking at us. Well they are busy with themselves. You will find very quickly you are not the first CD that has been in the store. Dont like and pretend that its for a girlfriend. They know its for you. So get over it and buy what fits and the SA will help you.
Good luck
Janet

SATINELLIE
01-29-2010, 10:54 AM
I always shop in boy mode and it can be a bit intimidating sometimes, especially in smaller stores. I almost always shop in department stores as I tend to blend in a bit more among the large space and people.

To be honest I have never been asked by someone at the till...ever. They always go about their business the normal way although Im sure some of the time they do wonder if the clothes are for me.

Maybe go shopping early before the big crowds arrive, you can move around and look a lot easier and faster. At the end of the day if you do get asked just say its for your girlfriend.

Janet K.
01-29-2010, 11:49 AM
Thanks to all for their comments on this subject. I have been wondering the same thing. I have gone shopping several times enfemme but have never found the courage to make a purchase. I have lost out on some nice items because of my apprehension. No longer!! If I see something I like and I have the money, it's mine!

2b.Lauren
01-29-2010, 12:00 PM
Always in drab, I break the rules if I go out as Lauren. Who needs an excuse or reason to provide to shop clerks. Their job is to sell and we are potential buyers. If I want to try something on, I will usually pick up a guy shirt or slacks, put the ladies item in between them so I can go into the fitting room. Just a simple disguise. I have also done a lot of shopping on Ebay. Just go out in what you are comfortable in, drab, under-dressed, or to the 9's and have fun!

Koka
01-29-2010, 12:29 PM
Hi Girl,

Just be yourself and you will be fine. You don't need to tell them is for you, unless you want to try on. In that case, then just be honest, but kind, sweet and they will help right.

Good luck

Koka

gavina
01-29-2010, 01:51 PM
I go shopping with my best friend, point out what i like and she goes up to the counter and pays for it. As the meerkats would say ....

Simples

EnglishRose
01-29-2010, 03:35 PM
Ha. I once bought a coat and asked very (rather too?) obviously for a gift receipt. I was bricking it the whole time, and that was in drab.

Online is for me :o

Kellie Day
01-29-2010, 06:49 PM
Here's what you never have to say because they already get it:

"I'm the customer.
I pay your salary."

If you get anything other than a smile, then they don't get it and probably won't be working there much longer. Salespersons who look askance at women older than them wearing trendy clothes or people packing a bit more weight than they ought to trying to squeeze into the fashions that top out a size or two too small don't earn out on commissions and migrate to other professions where their scorn is better tolerated.

Bottom line--your odds of a bad experience in shopping is less than one in a hundred. You're far more likely to get odd looks from other customers than the sales staff. And if you're a self-confident adult primate, who cares what *any stranger* thinks of you?

stacy-marie hanna
01-29-2010, 06:56 PM
my excuse ive used before is that my sister just text me asking if id pick whatever the item im buying is.but after the other week when i finally went shopping as stacy i dont need an excuse anymore.

stacy-marie