PDA

View Full Version : Public Places Etiquette & Other Questions for Going Out for the First Time

KristinSkye
01-23-2010, 02:52 PM
Happy Saturday everyone. I know I've seen this information scattered around several old threads before but for the sake of time I was hoping I could get it all in one thread.

I'm so close to going out fully dressed for the first real time ever but I have a few questions that I absolutely have to know the answer to before I will take one step outside :doh:

1) Which restroom to use? I'm pretty sure I've seen the answer to this one before and it was pretty overwhelmingly "use the women's facilities". I'm going to try to avoid having to use either one but if nature calls?

2) Has anyone ever been hassled at a department store for using the women's or juniors fitting rooms?

3) I plan on going to a department store, probably Belk because I love their juniors department. Whats the best day and time of day to go if I wanted the store to be as empty as possible?

I'm pretty sure I had a few more questions, but I'm getting nervous just thinking about it lol.

Joni Marie Cruz
01-23-2010, 03:37 PM
Hi Kristin-

If I were you I wouldn't be too nervous, from your pix you look very cute and very passable. I don't think you have anything to worry about. To answer your questions:

1. I always use the restroom of the gender I'm presenting as, however you may get advice to the contrary from some of the other girls. As I've said before, I just hate, hate, hate standing in front of a urinal with my skirt hiked up around my waist and my panties around my knees. So unladylike. With that said, I do get in and get out without lingering to primp or fix my hair or anything like that, although I do wash my hands. Oh, I know I don't have to say this, but don't forget to sit. Standing to pee is also unladylike.

2. Nope. But if I did I would be inclined to take my business elsewhere. I don't think I'd feel like spending my money at a store that would make it an issue.

3. If I were looking to avoid crowds I guess I would hit them mid-week early in the morning right after they open. I'd avoid weekends and special sales events though I'd hate to miss out on any bargains.

Good luck, Kristin, have fun and don't fret yourself over it. Let us know what you score.

Hugs...Joni Mari

Bootsiegalore
01-23-2010, 03:40 PM
Most newer malls have family restrooms too!

Rianna Humble
01-23-2010, 03:43 PM
Hi Kristin,

I would definitely say use the bathroom of the gender you present. In the past I have not done this and have got all manner of hostile looks. The other day, I was having difficulty getting into the ladies at a train station and the management sent a female attendant to help me.

I can't answer the other two as I haven't yet had the courage to use fitting rooms that were gender specific.

Loni
01-23-2010, 03:59 PM
as a "other" for restrooms, would not work to good in the mall,
but for "other" places, keep a eye open for the single use, or duel gender rooms.
you get to lock a door, so this way only you are in there.

Sally24
01-23-2010, 04:05 PM
1) Which restroom to use?

3)Whats the best day and time of day to go if I wanted the store to be as empty as possible?

Always use the women's room or a one person restroom. A gay bar that requires us to use the men's room is the only place I'll take the chance on being in the guys room.

Especially since you're shopping the juniors section I would go before school lets out. That would count out probably 70% of the girls that would normally shop that area.

Good luck and don't be too nervous!

divamissz
01-23-2010, 04:17 PM
1-As everyone else has said, use the restroom of the gender you are presenting. I prefer to find a restroom in a department store (nicer and less traffic), or someplace that has single-occupant restrooms where you can lock the door. Whatever, do not spend a lot of time in there-do your business, wash up, leave. Family restrooms are an option, and I have used them when I was in a very busy mall and did not want to deal with crowds.

2-Never. I'll ask if I can use a dressing room, and I have never had someone say no. I do try to wait for when things are not too busy, and again I'll try not to spend more time than I need to.

3-Department stores are the least busy mid-week. I have found that from opening to mid-afternoon things are not as crowded, unless there's some kind of sale going on. You'll also find the SA's will have more time to help you if you need it.

skirtsuit
01-23-2010, 04:19 PM
Unless it's a sinlge WC, I would not use the womens' room en femme. Some states have 'equal bathroom rights' laws and some do not.

I personally would much rather suffer a little embarrasment than risk getting arrested. I try to think about these things from a woman's perspective - if you see a man dressed like a woman in the womens room, would it be wild and irrational to think that the guy is trying to sneek around, up to no good?

I don't think you can get arrested for using the mens' room if you're a guy, no matter how your dressed.

Have a good time out and relax!

All the Best,
Ann / SS

sherri52
01-23-2010, 04:44 PM
While enfemme use the womens rest room
I've never been bothered while shopping but I find the best time is right when the store opens. It gives you time to try something on without rushing to beat the stores closing time. Afternoons are usually busy. Bad weather days are perfect if your willing to brave the elements.

KristinSkye
01-23-2010, 05:14 PM
Thanks everyone, this is exactly the kind of advice I was looking for :)

Does anyone happen to know if Florida has an 'equal bathroom rights' law?