PDA

View Full Version : I need help with sipping a dress!

Raychel
08-06-2005, 07:35 AM
I just got a great new black dress from Bedford Fair that I am just dieing to put on. The problem that I have is I can't get the zipper up in the back. The zipper tab has no hole in it to pull on it with a string or wire. Anyone have any tips. :rolleyes:

Elinor
08-06-2005, 07:43 AM
Have a good friend help you or practise being a woman more often so you learn to do it yourself. :love:

Billijo49504
08-06-2005, 08:15 AM
Try hemastats (sp) or just drill a hole in the tab.

Tristen Cox
08-06-2005, 10:46 AM
I'll do up any zippers with the most flexible arm first reaching around the back, until I get it far enough up to reach over my shoulder to grab it and pull it up the rest of the way toward the top. Best I can tell you.

Raychel
08-06-2005, 12:53 PM
Thanks for your replys, I just remembered that I have seen these before, They are made for picking up things that yo can't reach. Maybe I will try a set for this. Either that or I will have to wait for my wife to agree to help me zip it. Probably won't happen in this lifetime. :p

Tristen Cox
08-06-2005, 12:56 PM
I have one of those, got it from an autopart store for 3$, but if the zipper is hard to pull it will slip off then you'll have to reconnect the end and that alone can be a pain in itself.

Rachel Morley
08-06-2005, 12:58 PM
My method is the same as Tristen's. Up from the bottom as far as I can go first then reach from the top, pulling the material of the dress upwards to reach the zipper.

DanaJ
08-06-2005, 01:25 PM
Well, you'll need a really big straw :D

...or just tie a piece of string to the zipper..... like surfers do to their wetsuits.

DanaJ

Anita
08-06-2005, 01:25 PM
superglue a piece of material etc as a loop to it Then it's easy :)

Fionax
08-06-2005, 02:25 PM
If the tab has n't already got a hole then do as Billijo suggests and drill one. I have made a hook at the end of a bit of a wire clothes hanger which lets me pull it all the way up in one go.

Fi

Marlena Dahlstrom
08-06-2005, 03:13 PM
You can get an alligator clip and tie a string to it. There's also devices to help (elderly) women with putting on bracelets -- essentially an alligator clip on the end of the stick. You could make one yourself or probably find one in the Miles Kimball catalog.

Only downside is that it may scratch up the zip, so probably a good idea to wrap the clip with foam or tape.

Honey GG
08-06-2005, 03:38 PM
Find yourself a good seamstress and have a new zipper put in. Save you alot of stress and you will enjoy wearing it more often.That seamstress could become one of your best friends for alterations on other things also.

Honey

Raychel
08-07-2005, 07:04 AM
Hello all,

Thanks for all the great replys, I have tried the Up from the bottom and down from the top trick, like owmen do, But it seems that there is about 4" in the middle that I just cant reach. I will try some of the other ideas, the next time I get a chance when the kids are not home. Thanks again for all the suggestions