PDA

View Full Version : Terminology

Elsa von Spielburg
01-25-2010, 12:39 PM
So, most of us here know the differences between TG and CD goals/ community.

Being a big fan of "executive-action-transvestite", Eddie Izzard, I've been thinking: what about the terms "Transvestite" versus "Crossdresser". Is there any difference at all, in your mind, or are they interchangeable? Which do you prefer?

StaceyJane
01-25-2010, 12:40 PM
I used to try to label myself but now I don't worry about categories. I am what I am.

Karren H
01-25-2010, 12:44 PM
Sweet Transvestite wouldn't have been as good a song it it was Sweet Crossdresser... So that means Transvestites are better than Crossdressers any day.. :D

Elsa von Spielburg
01-25-2010, 12:52 PM
This is true, when you have Tim Curry attached to something in any shape or form, it becomes 581% better. Proven scientific fact.

JiveTurkeyOnRye
01-25-2010, 01:30 PM
If you go by literal definitions, they mean the same thing and in fact are just english and latin forms of the same word. In practical use I think crossdresser is just the newer term, and I used to always prefer it to Transvestite because the later via it's latin origin sounds like a a diagnostic category to me. I also used to feel like "Crossdresser" meant anyone who wore the clothing of the opposite sex where as transvestite was a specific type of crossdresser that dressed specifically to pass. Eddie Izzard is proof though that this definition is flawed.

But I've since stopped being too concerned about what people call me, I usually say crossdresser but I've been referred to by friends as a transvestite, and it's the spirit and light in which they say it that matters more to me than what they say...

minalost
01-25-2010, 01:40 PM
If you go by literal definitions, they mean the same thing and in fact are just english and latin forms of the same word. In practical use I think crossdresser is just the newer term, and I used to always prefer it to Transvestite because the later via it's latin origin sounds like a a diagnostic category to me. I also used to feel like "Crossdresser" meant anyone who wore the clothing of the opposite sex where as transvestite was a specific type of crossdresser that dressed specifically to pass. Eddie Izzard is proof though that this definition is flawed.

But I've since stopped being too concerned about what people call me, I usually say crossdresser but I've been referred to by friends as a transvestite, and it's the spirit and light in which they say it that matters more to me than what they say...

Have to agree with JiveTurkey on this one. I prefer crossdresser because transvestite sounds too clinical. I've also seen, on this site, a thread with a list of terms that defines transvestite (I'm paraphrasing from memory here...)as a man who dresses as a woman to have sex with men. I don't really believe in this definition but would prefer to avoid confusion so I go with crossdresser.

Just my :2c:.

Ruth
01-25-2010, 02:34 PM
The two words, in language terms, are only two different ways to say the same thing, but I think 'transvestite' carries some baggage that crossdresser doesn't have.
I would rather not be categorised as one or another term, but understood as the unique individual that I am, so I wouldn't want either as a label, but I suppose I would object less to 'crossdresser'.

minalost
01-25-2010, 02:44 PM
The two words, in language terms, are only two different ways to say the same thing, but I think 'transvestite' carries some baggage that crossdresser doesn't have.
I would rather not be categorised as one or another term, but understood as the unique individual that I am, so I wouldn't want either as a label, but I suppose I would object less to 'crossdresser'.

I agree. I hate labels too. But frankly, that's what people do. So IF I'm going to have a label, I'd like to pick it myself!
:hugs:

Gillian
01-25-2010, 02:49 PM
A dumb question from a newbie, I think I understand the SA (Sales assistant?) and SO significant,,, but what exactly is GG? is it Genuine girl?

Nicole Erin
01-25-2010, 02:52 PM
Well as I understand it -
Transvestite dresses purely for sexual gratification, usually just the sexy stuff like lingerie, heels mini skirt, stockings.

Crossdresser is more someone who dresses all the way en femme. It can be for sexual stuff but welll...

Maybe you could argue that a CD will often dress like a presentable woman, say like StacyJane in her avatar. And a TV will dress like the models in Victoria Secret catalogs. Just get an image in your head of some hairy guy in a teddy with fishnets. THAT is your classic TV.
"But what about...?"
Glad you asked - Nope, a TV has to wear fishnets, regular sexy stockings just won't work. OK kidding... :heehee:

GG - Genetic Girl like FAB - Female At Birth
SA - Sales associate
SO - signifigant Other

Loni
01-25-2010, 02:53 PM
you can call me anything you want.

just do not call me late for dinner.

Tamara Croft
01-25-2010, 02:54 PM
This was discussed not long ago, it's simple: -

Transvestite - UK
Crossdresser - USA

Both mean the same thing.

EnglishRose
01-25-2010, 02:54 PM
"Transvestite" is used more than "Cross Dresser" in the UK, I've found - especially the seemingly derogatory term "Tranny".

JiveTurkeyOnRye
01-25-2010, 03:38 PM
I think the concept of "transvestite" meaning dressing for sexual gratification is a result of the DSM, which lists such behaviors in the diagnosis of "Transvestic Fetishism." Since the term "transvestic" is based in the same root origins as "transvestite," people started to think they were both referring to the same thing, forgetting that "Fetishism" was really the key word there.

sissystephanie
01-25-2010, 03:55 PM

Transvestite - UK
Crossdresser - USA

Not quite the truth, Tamara! While they do both mean the wearing of the clothing of the opposite sex, the reasoning behind doing that is different. According to the definition in psychology books, a Transvestite wears the clothing of the opposite sex in order to have sex as the opposite sex!! A Crossdresser wears the clothing of the opposite sex simply because he/she likes to!! That identifies me exactly! I am a man, and proud of it! But I love to dress like a female, from the skin out! I have no desire to become a woman, or even to have sex like one! I just like to dress like one.

As I said earlier, both words do have some similar meanings. But they also have very different meanings for doing so! And BTW, Transvestite is used here in the USA probably as much as in the U.K.

PretzelGirl
01-26-2010, 09:12 PM
"Transvestite" is used more than "Cross Dresser" in the UK, I've found - especially the seemingly derogatory term "Tranny".

I think the "tranny" slang is catching on more in at least my area with the younger crowd. My daughter has already told me about going to the "tranny bar" and seeing a bunch of "trannies". I guess I'm not going there! :heehee:

sherri52
01-26-2010, 09:17 PM
They mean the same no mater which is used. Crossdresser is the newer term and less refining to some

Heather_Marie
01-26-2010, 09:24 PM
If you have to use labels I like to be called a Crossdresser to me it sounds softer then a Transvestite. However are we not all just people and should be treated as such? I know, I know the world is not like that but I like to think we might get there someday.

Barbara Dugan
01-26-2010, 09:24 PM
Without getting too deep on the terminology or meaning of both terms I prefer transvestite over crossdresser

Elizabeth Ann
01-27-2010, 01:22 AM
I suppose this is a silly reason, but I think the word "transvestite" has a prettier, more melodic sound than the word "crossdresser." Transvestite has a more natural flow to its pronunciation than does crossdresser, which seems a bit cumbersome.

Besides, the word crossdresser might be confused as someone who dresses in anger.

Liz

t-girlxsophie
01-27-2010, 03:01 AM
In my mind I have always thought that it was the other way around,maybe it does depend what side of the pond you live.I use the termanology of being a T-girl,I think it sounds better,"Tranny" can be used over here to insult but they know no better,but on the other hand even some of us girls use it at times

whenever i have conversed with someone billed as a crossdresser they have always been in for the sexual grtification,whatever we are called,as long as people are courteous and respectful to us that is the main thing

Just be as Beautiful and loving,both inside and out as you can be:thumbsup:

ReineD
01-27-2010, 03:30 AM
For the newcomers, here is a list (http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1082294&postcount=2) of some generally accepted definitions and an explanation of the abbreviations.

Here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transgender) is another resources for definitions.
:hugs:

Electra
01-27-2010, 04:53 AM
Interesting list, but like the almost endless alphabetical soup of disorders that psychologists and psychiatrists like to concoct, it can be more confusing than enlightening. Having read through it, and other such lists, I would say there are basically only four identities.

1) FAB or MAB: Female or Male at birth.

2) CD = Transvestite: A person, genetically FAB or MAB, who likes to dress in the opposite sex's clothes.

3) Transsexual = Transgendered: A person, who has gone to the extreme of getting hormone treated and ultimately operated on to change his/her assigned birth sex to the opposite sex.

4) Hermaphrodite: A genetic disorder due to which a person is born with internal as well as external organs of both sexes. Unlike 2) this is a genuine disorder.

AliceJaneInNewcastle
01-27-2010, 05:57 AM
I used to hate the term "tranny", but after several years of being a member of an Australian site called Tranny Radio, I no longer have a strong opinion either way about it. I dislike the term transvestite because of its clinical origin.

Crossdresser has been my preferred term for many years, but I'd much rather use Happydresser if people would actually understand what I was talking about. After all, I'm not cross when I'm dressed. :)

Rianna Humble
01-27-2010, 06:19 AM

Transvestite - UK
Crossdresser - USA

I'm from the UK, but could not identify as a Transvestite. In the town where I work, there is a transvestite scene where men go to parties, dress up as ****s and are hired (or hire themselves) out for the evening. None of that appeals to me.

On the other hand, there are cross dresser scenes where it is about people being happy wearing clothing that is not traditional for their anatomical gender (MtF and FtM). I can identify with that.

I know that in other parts of the UK, people seem to think that CD = hairy cr**ch brigade. Those people tell me I should identify as Transgender, but I don't see TG as being opposed to CD.

When all is said and done, I am not a label, I am a person.

Crysten
01-27-2010, 06:28 AM
When I was younger, the only term I ever heard was Transvestite. Never liked it. Crossdresser comes closer to what I percieve myself as. But overall, if we're going to use Transgendered as an "umbrella" term for ALL of us, I preffer that. Seems to me like a bigger box to move around in.

Kate Simmons
01-27-2010, 08:58 AM
What's in a word really? It seems I was a transvestite for years until the term crossdresser became popular. This is mostly why I think of others as who they are as a person as terms can really not describe them.:)

JiveTurkeyOnRye
01-27-2010, 09:24 AM
3) Transsexual = Transgendered.

I agree with all of your points except for this one. I think "Transgendered" is more of an umbrella term that encompasses all of the different "types" of people who exist outside of gender norms, from your bedroom-only types, to your full on post-op TSs.

Even as a non-passing crossdresser I think of myself as a part of the Transgender community, and as a transgendered person.