PDA

View Full Version : Tights

Emma Leigh
01-25-2010, 04:59 PM
Today for the first time, I went to work wearing tights under my drabs, recently I have been wearing knee highs which I find ssooo comfy, would like to wear hold ups, but have,nt found any that live up to their name, but I digress, tights are the most frustrating piece of feminine attire I have ever worn, they dont stay up if you have an active occupation like mine, constantly bending, stretching etc. I was running to the toilet so often adjust everything, the staff all thought I had eaten a dodgy curry! More of comment than a thread really, but what is your experience of these confounded things, I mean women wear them all the time, surely they dont put up with hassle I had! I say never again and back to the knee highs. Diety I do go on!

cosmolovesph
01-25-2010, 05:27 PM
1st and foremost you have to wear the right size, if on the border of 2 sizes, go up.

Emma Leigh
01-25-2010, 05:32 PM
1st and foremost you have to wear the right size, if on the border of 2 sizes, go up.

It said one size on the box, which I assume to mean just that, they felt OK when I tried them on, and wore them under a skirt, maybe its the drabs?

az_azeel
01-25-2010, 05:46 PM
yup.. i have a constant problem if i wear them under my jeans... warmer on the bike lol ... but the jeans do drag them down..

Persephone
01-25-2010, 06:00 PM
Women complain about them all the time, which is almost funny because they were designed to be a comfortable replacement for the stockings and girdles that they wore before that; which, of course, were designed to be a comfortable replacement for the corsets they wore before that . . .

But yes, they can be annoying at times. Like Cosmolovesph wrote, they do have to be the correct size, so if you are heavier than most women and/or taller than most women, you probably need to look at "queen size." I'd be leary of "one size fits all."

Once you have the correct size and length you should find that they are a good bit more comfortable. Then, if they still start to fall, you can put a light control garment on over them. A lot of women do that. The big factor is that once you get them under control, they don't bag at the ankles the way detached hose do.

Hali
01-25-2010, 06:08 PM
i like tights they are warm and sexy. My GG friend complained that they itch, but fortunately i find them to be worth wearing, may be with time u'll get use to them.

Elsa Larson
01-25-2010, 06:09 PM
Until your hips & buttocks are big enough to hold up the tights, consider using braces (suspenders for you Americans).

I sometimes wear tights as a male medieval minstrel and use braces under all the other layers to hold them up.

Samantha B L
01-25-2010, 06:15 PM

Emma,wear the right size,hun. I love to wear tights. I put together little 80's and 90's styled outfits. I have tremendous fun with them. I wanted tights when I was a little kid but my Mom told me that "people would think you were fruity so forget it". Try a good size. There's a lot of creative things you can do with them

GaleWarning
01-25-2010, 06:26 PM
Dancers who do a lot of bending and stretching solve the problem by wearing a pair of panites under the tights and a second pair over the tights.
How do I know this?
My ex-was a dancer.
:heehee:

Emma Leigh
01-25-2010, 06:29 PM
they do have to be the correct size, so if you are heavier than most women and/or taller than most women, you probably need to look at "queen size." I'd be leary of "one size fits all."

Once you have the correct size and length you should find that they are a good bit more comfortable. Then, if they still start to fall, you can put a light control garment on over them. A lot of women do that. The big factor is that once you get them under control, they don't bag at the ankles the way detached hose do.

I am not particularly big ( UK size 12-14 ), and not that tall , although, I perhaps I am from a female perpective, at just over 5 foot 10 inches, but what really intrigues me is what is a light control garment exactly?

Lidia_tv
01-25-2010, 06:34 PM
Neither thighs, nor holdups will stay in place unless you shave your legs. It's the hair on our legs that makes them slip down. For the record: I adore wearing thighs and I wear them every day, unless the weather is too hot.

SouthernBelle.GG
01-25-2010, 06:37 PM
[-]...[/-]solve the problem by wearing a pair of panites under the tights and a second pair over the tights...

What he said! I've done this before and I'm not even a dancer. :)

Emma Leigh
01-25-2010, 06:45 PM
Dancers who do a lot of bending and stretching solve the problem by wearing a pair of panites under the tights and a second pair over the tights.
How do I know this?
My ex-was a dancer.

Still think will stick to the knee highs, but its so cold, thats why I thought I would wear the tights in the first place!, on second thoughts might give it a try, pre work, to see how it goes, could,nt hack another 12 hours of like today, thanks all for your suggestions.

sherri52
01-25-2010, 06:53 PM
I have thigh highs that keep falling but luckily they only fall to the knee and don't pass it. Still agrivating that they slide down.

Sandra
01-25-2010, 06:55 PM
Neither thighs, nor holdups will stay in place unless you shave your legs. It's the hair on our legs that makes them slip down. .

Ummmm and how does having hairs on you legs make a difference?. :doh: If they don't fit round the waist then they will fall down.

sissystephanie
01-25-2010, 07:04 PM
Ummmm and how does having hairs on you legs make a difference?. :doh: If they don't fit round the waist then they will fall down.

Sandra is at least partially correct! The wrong waist size will definitely make them fall! But so will the wrong length! If you are 5' 10" and heavier than a normal lady, you definitely need Queen size tights. "One" size may fit some males, but most of us need longer ones. The hair on your legs has nothing at all to do with whether they stay up, or not! It is only the fit!!:doh:

Emma Leigh
01-25-2010, 07:22 PM
Sandra is at least partially correct! The wrong waist size will definitely make them fall! But so will the wrong length! If you are 5' 10" and heavier than a normal lady, you definitely need Queen size tights..... The hair on your legs has nothing at all to do with whether they stay up, or not! It is only the fit!!:doh:

UK 12-14 is NOT big, its,a female medium!, but I suppose the average female height in the UK is around 5 foot 7 inches, but they certainly did not appear to be to short, the opposite if anything, what I think on reflection is it was the drabs bringing them down, with the stretching!, as to the leg hair, I,m clean!

DiannaRose
01-25-2010, 07:28 PM
I wear tights underdressed all the time, and I rarely have a problem unless they are too big. I regularly walk a mile and a half during lunch and still no problem. I definitely think it may be either the size or the style you're trying. Control tops tend to be tighter at the top...maybe those will work for you?

If they say "one size fits most", and you're NOT short for a guy, you won't be one of the "most". :)

And my legs aren't shaved, so not a factor, I'd guess. :)

Good luck!

-T

bethany356
01-25-2010, 07:29 PM
I hate nylons! Who ever invented them should be made to wear them 24/7! I had to wear them today with my blues shirt... And I got a run early on in the day, which, by the time 1630 rolled around, had turned into a full length run and I looked so trashy... In UNIFORM!:doh:

DiannaRose
01-25-2010, 07:34 PM
I hate nylons! Who ever invented them should be made to wear them 24/7! I had to wear them today with my blues shirt... And I got a run early on in the day, which, by the time 1630 rolled around, had turned into a full length run and I looked so trashy... In UNIFORM!:doh:

Heh...I'd wear them 24/7 if I could. I love 'em! :)

JiveTurkeyOnRye
01-25-2010, 07:35 PM
Just to clear up a cultural confusion because you appear to be from the UK, when you say tights, are you referring to the sheer kind or the opaque kind? In the US the sheer ones are called pantyhose and the opaque ones are called tights. I ask because I've found that opaques/tights are much more comfortable for long periods of wear, and stay up much easier, and are a lot more breathable. Pantyhose/sheers look great and can really make an outfit pop and they shape the legs great with a skirt, but boy do I find them unbearable for a full day's wearing, especially under pants.

I will agree though that "one size fits all" usually doesn't, and companies that make such are usually doing a shoddy job of it. Find a nicer pair that has a size chart and find the one for your height and weight, and like was said before, if you're on the border between two, go larger.

Emma Leigh
01-25-2010, 07:49 PM
Just to clear up a cultural confusion because you appear to be from the UK, when you say tights, are you referring to the sheer kind or the opaque kind?

Yes I am from the UK, and they are sheer, glossy 15 denier.

bethany356
01-25-2010, 07:55 PM
Annie, when I get out of the military, I'll send you ALL my nylons... That is... If they don't already have holes in them by then!

CharlotteW
01-25-2010, 08:03 PM
At only 5'6" and size 14 (waist down) I can only just get away with 'one size' tights so I'm certain they would be too small for you.
As for the earlier coment about hold-ups falling down when worn on hairy legs....yes they do tend to fall down. They also fall down when the legs are moisurised too, even after shaving.

I love tights (7 to 60+ denier) and wear them daily, most often very much visible with dolly (ballet) shoes and jeans, nobody says a word about it to me.

Emma Leigh
01-25-2010, 08:25 PM
At only 5'6" and size 14 (waist down) I can only just get away with 'one size' tights so I'm certain they would be too small for you.

I am a 12-14 waist down.

DiannaRose
01-25-2010, 08:27 PM
Annie, when I get out of the military, I'll send you ALL my nylons... That is... If they don't already have holes in them by then!

Ooh, goody...my first CD gift I didn't buy for myself! :)

bethany356
01-25-2010, 08:30 PM
I only have one pair of tights I like and they are neon yellow w/o feet!

Dee2U
01-25-2010, 08:37 PM
I have just found some really great tights (Norht American nomenclature - not pantyhose). At just the right opacity, they hide the sparse and patchy hair on my legs (I keep it short but not shaved) and yet look more sheer than heavire tights. Tights with patterns can also conceal hair but are usually a bit more pricey. I agree with all of the above - fit is everything. I think also with our less feminine hips and thighs that height counts more than weight on the size charts. What do others think on this aspect?....Dee

Persephone
01-25-2010, 08:49 PM
what really intrigues me is what is a light control garment exactly?

I don't know what they are called in the UK, Emma Leigh (you folks over there speak such a strange version of English! :)), but here is an example of a "light control garment."

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/sandylewiscares/controlbrief.jpg
Hugs,
Persephone.

Tina L.
01-25-2010, 09:25 PM
low rise footless tights are the only way to go, they will not creep down . not on me anyway

windycissy
01-25-2010, 11:08 PM
First I'd try a different brand, and of course make sure you get the right size. I've had better luck with sheers than opaques in staying up, worst case put your panties on top of your tights, that'll hold 'em up. This discussion makes me yearn for spring, as soon as it warms up and I can get a little color on my legs, no nylons for me!

JiveTurkeyOnRye
01-25-2010, 11:48 PM
Yes I am from the UK, and they are sheer, glossy 15 denier.

ok, yeah, then those are what are called "pantyhose" here. Like i said, great for short term wearing or at least on bare legs, but I wouldn't wear them all day. If you are going to wear them though it is worth spending the extra money for a higher quality product though. I don't know what brands you have in the UK so it's hard to give you advice on that front.

Emma Leigh
01-26-2010, 04:18 AM
This discussion makes me yearn for spring, as soon as it warms up and I can get a little color on my legs, no nylons for me!

Yes, I am with you on that!,and thanks to you all for the advise!

kimdl93
01-26-2010, 11:51 AM
honestly, Emma, I haven't had any problem with tights. I'm over 6'2" quite fit and quite muscular...but I have no problem with finding tights that fit my legs and waist well. Same is true of panty hose.

I have had very good luck with stay-ups as well. Not sure what the problem might be. One thing I have noticed. I of course shave my legs and apply lotion regularly. I have to be careful not to put lotion where the silicon bands touch my skin...or they will slip.

JulieC
01-26-2010, 12:47 PM
(noting that in England, the term "tights" covers sheer tights as well, what people in the U.S. refer to as "pantyhose")

It said one size on the box, which I assume to mean just that, they felt OK when I tried them on, and wore them under a skirt, maybe its the drabs?

If the sizing on the package says "One size" (fits all), it should be read as "this doesn't fit well on anyone". One size garments are almost always junk. That alone is a source of your tights slipping down.

Sizing is very, very important to prevent slippage. As another posted noted, going up a size can help if you're on the border between two sizes, or near a border. Experiment. Try different sizes, brands, etc.

Other sources...

I can't speak for women of course, but I have observed that shaved legs are MUCH better at preventing tights slipping down than unshaved legs.

Having hips certainly helps prevent slipping, but hips aren't going to stop tights sagging at the crotch.

Using some lotion on freshly shaved legs, right before putting on the tights as helps prevent slippage.

Also as others have suggested, a pair of panties (especially close fitting ones) over your tights can help hold them in place.

Control top styles can help as well

With freshly shaved legs, lotion on my legs, and the right says tights I've gone all day many times without having any problems with my tights or pantyhose falling down.

Sandra
01-26-2010, 01:29 PM
I can't speak for women of course, but I have observed that shaved legs are MUCH better at preventing tights slipping down than unshaved legs.

Well being a woman I have worn tights with unshaved (yeah I know but was lazy and in a hurry :) ) and shaved legs, and it makes no difference as to how they stay up.

It's down to getting the right size.