PDA

View Full Version : Why I love going to Southern Comfort Conference

Katesback
01-26-2010, 11:29 AM
I have had the chance to go to SCC two times in two years. The first time I went I actually had not intended to go but came to realize it was on my way home from a two week motorcycle trip to Florida for my job interview.

In any case I can tell you that if you have not been to a trans conference you have missed out to such an extent that you might say it is like owning a car without the keys! From my eyes I can tell you that it appears to be a dream come true for CDs.

Picture four to seven days of total freedom to be whoever you are! To be able to express yourself however you wish! To not have any care in the world! To be with around 1000 other trans people!

Think you are missing something? You better believe it if you have not been to a conference.

Oh you wanted to know what my favorite part is. Well for me I like sitting in the lobby and watching people. Thursday is my favorite because that is the day most people show up and I get to place bets on the amount of bags people are going to unload. I have personally seen people with U-Haul trailers loaded with 15 or more crates and bags of god knows what. It still boggles my mind and makes me smile to see crossdressers that own 500% more womens clothing than I do and I am a woman.

Hope to see you also at SCC. Just look for the girl that has one bag and is wearing jeans LOL. Hey to each thier own right?

Katie

StaceyJane
01-26-2010, 11:32 AM
I've been thinking about going this year. I have a permission slip from my wife now.

Katesback
01-26-2010, 11:35 AM
Thinking and doing are two entirely different things. Sadly I think as a whole the transgender community are truely the world's experts on thinking but are often terrible at doing.

Live your dream people. Ya only get one chance!

Nicole Erin
01-26-2010, 11:52 AM
This year I might be able to make it out there.
I will be single and probably living alone, at least no kids or wife.

My thing will be having the money to swing it, a friend who has been and lives a couple miles away said count on spending about $700 for the whole trip. Hmm, Driving from Indiana, hotel room, meals, I guess it sounds about right?

One thing about the SCC, is it pretty much do what ya like or are there a bunch of boring seminars to sit thru? I hate seminars.

See also about that, I can and do dress as I pretty much feel whenever as it is, so would going to a conference really be of much benefit for a TS who is pretty much out there as it is?

NO I ain't being smart alec, just asking.

ReneeT
01-26-2010, 12:22 PM
I live fairly close to ATL and will make every effort to attend. I am most excited about meeting in person some of the great gals on this forurm

Karren H
01-26-2010, 01:43 PM
I was seriously thinking of going but just changed my mind. If I wanted to be judged for what I wear and what I bring I'll just stay home and let the wife do that for free. It still amazes me your disdain for anyone not TS.... It permeates everything you write.

Katesback
01-26-2010, 01:55 PM
SCC has a bunch of seminars that I myself find interesting. SCC also has a ton of other things you can do. Think of it this way many people dont sleep at all for the three or four days they are there. Ya dont suppose they are playing cards at 2am now do ya?

Put it this way. Some people will do things when they are a girl that they otherwise would never do. When I was a police officer we called this behavior you see in the jail "Gay for the state". Perhaps at SCC you can call it something else.

As far as $$

Well the plane ticket to Atlanta from S. Florida was 140. The conference (SCCatl.org) has different prices. If you dont care to eat the food (I never did) the price is 100 dollars. I just walk across the street to the mall and eat in the food court.

Some people dont even go to the functions but just stay at the hotel and hang out so you could feasably save 100 dollars there. I think I might do that next time I go since I have now seen all the presentations I care to see.

So whats left is the hotel. First if you fly in you can take the subway right from the airport to the hotel so thats nothing. Second you can room up with people (yahoo group for linking at sccatl.org). I paid 180 for four days split three ways.

So now you can see that the price is not that bad. I do have one humorous suggestion. IF you can room up with a TS girl then do it. Why? Well because she is not as likely to have 15 suitcases in one hotel room.

StaceyJane
01-26-2010, 02:00 PM
Now since airlines are charging per bag what does that come too?

May I point out that bags ride free on Amtrak.
and Amtrak does stop daily in Atlanta.
So I have been thinking about a train trip.

Katesback
01-26-2010, 02:04 PM
Many just UPS the crap.

The other funny thing is that at the conference they have makeup people that do a good job for the most part (although often it looks like the artist troweled the stuff on). They charge like 80 dollars for a job. Now across the street at the mall is a MAC store and the smart girls go there and spend 50 dollars, get a stellar job, and walk away with products thay brought for the 50 dollars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A lot of what you see at SCC makes no sense but its all cool.

renee k
01-26-2010, 02:09 PM
Now since airlines are charging per bag what does that come too?

May I point out that bags ride free on Amtrak.
and Amtrak does stop daily in Atlanta.
So I have been thinking about a train trip.

I agree, taking the train would be neat! Even though I fly for a living. I'd like the train ride. My airline charges twenty five bucks per bag, ten bucks off if you pay online. Everything at my airline is, " a la carte " if you will. Except for a visit to the lavatory. LOL!!

Renee

divamissz
01-26-2010, 02:28 PM
I was seriously thinking of going but just changed my mind. If I wanted to be judged for what I wear and what I bring I'll just stay home and let the wife do that for free. It still amazes me your disdain for anyone not TS.... It permeates everything you write.

Nobody judges you for what you wear! Yes there are people who show up with more clothes then Macy's and more makeup than MAC. There's also people who pack for a week in a carry-on bag. Some use this as an excuse to dress like a movie star and make lots of wardrobe changes; other people get through the day in one outfit. That's what is great about SCC-you can be around people who don't care!

Not going because you think you're gonna be judged on what you wear to me is the worst reason.

This year I might be able to make it out there.
I will be single and probably living alone, at least no kids or wife.

My thing will be having the money to swing it, a friend who has been and lives a couple miles away said count on spending about $700 for the whole trip. Hmm, Driving from Indiana, hotel room, meals, I guess it sounds about right?

One thing about the SCC, is it pretty much do what ya like or are there a bunch of boring seminars to sit thru? I hate seminars.

See also about that, I can and do dress as I pretty much feel whenever as it is, so would going to a conference really be of much benefit for a TS who is pretty much out there as it is?

NO I ain't being smart alec, just asking.

How much it costs to attend SCC depends on a lot of variables. Travel's the hardest, since the mode of travel has a lot to do with the cost. Flying is the most convenient but can be expensive with luggage fees and such. I looked into taking Amtrak but from Dallas to Atlanta I have to change trains in Mars (Chicago, but might as well be Mars) and it takes nearly two days to get there. As long as gas costs are reasonable driving is always a good option too.

Registration costs for this year aren't on the website yet, but last year's early bird registration (including the convention and meals) was $255. There's other packages, and if you wish to attend but can't afford a registration there is a scholarship fund (http://sccatl.org/registration/scholarships) that can help.

Rooms this year will actually be less-I think the rate is $105 due to the earlier date. That's a flat rate-with a roommate or roommates you can split it up. Plus you'll need to budget for meals that aren't part of a package, shopping, etc. I tend to tell people to add 20% to whatever budget they come up with for unexpected costs. I'd say SCC is doable for $700, and possibly less but I'd budget more for safety's sake...

Before you call all the seminars boring, you might take a look at last year's schedules (http://www.sccatl.org/schedules). There are some esoteric presentations, but there are some that a wide variety of people can get. Plus, there is more going on than seminars. There are usually off-site trips, socializing all over the place, meeting up with friends for whatever...Really, SCC is what you want it to be. And I know many out and proud TS who attend because they want to be part of everything, to stay connected to people they know and to pass on what they have learned...

I really think if you attend once, you'll be back. Just like Arnold says :P

Nicole Erin
01-26-2010, 02:47 PM
I would probably just have one outfit for each day. Since it is summer I would probably travel in shorts and tee and my ragged tennies.
I don't keep a lot of stuff so let's see, 4 days, four outfits. I dont own wigs or forms or anything. Everything I would take would easily fit in the passenger seat of a car.

So if someone was just driving there like I would (I ain't paying a fortune to fly from IN to GA) would it be practical to park at whatever hotel and stuff?

I would have no idea what to expect for travel once I got there. I mean I hear about taking buses or subways and such, would that really be necessary? I mean what are the roads like and stuff?

I also hear one of the nights is some kind of formal wear night. Now I hate to say but the fanciest I have is business casual, nice blouses and black or grey slacks. I am jeans and tee woman.

divamissz
01-26-2010, 02:51 PM
Many just UPS the crap.

The other funny thing is that at the conference they have makeup people that do a good job for the most part (although often it looks like the artist troweled the stuff on). They charge like 80 dollars for a job. Now across the street at the mall is a MAC store and the smart girls go there and spend 50 dollars, get a stellar job, and walk away with products thay brought for the 50 dollars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A lot of what you see at SCC makes no sense but its all cool.

The MAC and Sephora in Perimeter Mall across from the hotel love us! We're in there all week, and we probably boost their sales for the year. MAC will do makeovers and makeup lessons if you book ahead of time and they credit the cost to whatever you purchase that day. The big reasons people use the MUA's who work at the convention are convenience and some reluctance to go out of the hotel unmade up.

And I do have to agree that some of the MUA's are better than others. I know of one who is well-known in the community who has a particular style that he uses on everyone. Its gotten to a point where I can spot his work a mile off-literally!

I would probably just have one outfit for each day. Since it is summer I would probably travel in shorts and tee and my ragged tennies.
I don't keep a lot of stuff so let's see, 4 days, four outfits. I dont own wigs or forms or anything. Everything I would take would easily fit in the passenger seat of a car.

So if someone was just driving there like I would (I ain't paying a fortune to fly from IN to GA) would it be practical to park at whatever hotel and stuff?

I would have no idea what to expect for travel once I got there. I mean I hear about taking buses or subways and such, would that really be necessary? I mean what are the roads like and stuff?

I also hear one of the nights is some kind of formal wear night. Now I hate to say but the fanciest I have is business casual, nice blouses and black or grey slacks. I am jeans and tee woman.

Parking at the hotel is free if you don't use the valet. You can get around most of the major parts of Atlanta on MARTA, the rail system, which has a station about three blocks from the hotel. Driving? Atlanta is pretty much a 24-hour rush hour; if you avoid the major highways it's not bad. Last year I didn't have a car (rode with a friend) and while I missed not having a car I did nearly everything I wanted without one.

Saturday night is considered the "formal dinner" night. But there is no rule that says formal wear is required! It's just an opportunity to dress up. Actually last year I wore a little black dress. Wear something you'd wear going to dinner with friends at a nice place-blouse and slacks would work.

I should say that I'm an SCC staff member. I'm the moderatrix of the SCC Yahoo! Group, the SCC Lounge (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/scclounge), which is a mailing list with over 2200 members. It's a great resource for information on the convention, tips on how to make the most of it (including travel, costs, etc.), and to stay connected.

I am not a board member, nor do I have any "official" capacity regarding the running of the convention. I do love attending SCC, and have since 2000.

Zelda Rose

Katesback
01-26-2010, 03:03 PM
Nicole:

You can drive to the hotel and park the car there. As far as travel when you get there.Well SCC is like going on a cruise. There are soo many things to do at the hotel that there is really no reason to leave except to possibly eat at the mall like I do which is across the street but then walking is probably faster and they have a shuttle bus to the mall for free if ya dont want to walk.

Ohh and Karen Hutton:

A big whatever to ya sis.

kellycan27
01-26-2010, 03:35 PM
I should say that I'm an SCC staff member. Zelda Rose

Really? you could have fooled me.:heehee:( just kiddin)
TBPO, I have never been to SCC or, Be All, Diva's and what have you. Just doesn't have an appeal for me, but I know some girls that have attended a few of them.. they seemed to like it.

Angelofsomekind
01-26-2010, 04:37 PM
My wife and I want to go to SCC sometime. But we live about 5 min. from where Be All is held. So for now we attend Be All, and Love it! Look forward to each one the day after one ends.

I have noticed I tend to get depressed for about a week after it though. Anyone else get that? It's just because for a week I get to be all dressed up and be who I am, then have to put myself away for a while.

Katesback
01-26-2010, 04:50 PM
I should have been clear in saying that there are other conferences like SCC. It is just that SCC is the biggest.

I have seen people sitting in the lobby on Sundays crying because they were facing going back to the normal world for an entire year before they could be themselves again.

As fun as SCC is it does have done downsides. I suspect that there is a spike in Divorces after conferences since often the girls go home invigorated and some escalate thier goals dramatically and all of a sudden its not what the spouse can take anymore.

divamissz
01-26-2010, 05:12 PM
I've had the drop hit me when I was taking my nail polish off Sunday morning. Or when I would reach across my chest to get something and not brush against my breasts. It's happened the next day, at home, when I felt like something was hugely missing.

Every year, I leave feeling motivated and dedicated to make the rest of my year more like what I experience in Atlanta. Going out more, being with people, doing things like shopping and dinner and just feeling better about myself. And every year, the "real world" finds ways to slowly strip my plans away and force me back towards what "they" expect. It's a harder fight every year, though.

I don't think anyone has done research on the subject but it's entirely possible that there is a spike in divorces post-SCC.

OccasionalSkirt
02-15-2010, 07:11 PM
One of the gurls from the local support group talked about SCC. I really want to go as a vendor this year. The website didn't work though, does anyone know if it just doesn't open until April?

sherri52
02-15-2010, 07:27 PM
SCC would be a great place to go but there are many others before then.

sarah_alexander
02-15-2010, 07:44 PM
So if I were going to attend an event, which would be the best choice? Currently debating between be-all, scc and esprit, with esprit being the front runner at the moment I think

divamissz
02-16-2010, 01:02 AM
One of the gurls from the local support group talked about SCC. I really want to go as a vendor this year. The website didn't work though, does anyone know if it just doesn't open until April?

I just checked and the website (sccatl.org) was working. If you're interested in vending, send an email to:

marketplace@sccatl.org

Zelda Rose

So if I were going to attend an event, which would be the best choice? Currently debating between be-all, scc and esprit, with esprit being the front runner at the moment I think

I'm biased, of course. SCC is the largest event, with the most attendees and has a lot of great things going on. Plus, this will be the 20th anniversary, so expect some very special things to happen.

Zelda Rose

SuzanneBender
02-16-2010, 03:08 PM
And thank you ladies for that commercial break now back to our show (thread)....

I went to SCC for the first time last year. I happened to be in Atlanta on business and thought what the heck. I'll take a couple of days of vacation throw and extra suitcase on the plane and see what all of this is about.

This may sound overly dramatic but I am not kidding when I say that this event was one of the watershed events of my life. I met friends there that I will have for the rest of my life. Despite years of dressing, tons of research on the internet and even a bit of counseling I didn't realize that I could feel accepted by those around me and even myself until that wonderful week last year in Atlanta. Saturday night after everything was over I cried for hours because I didn't want it to end and then I realized it didn't have to end.

SCC is what you want to make of it. You can dress and stay in your room, you can go to seminars, you can plan your day around the meals, go to the mall shopping, go out with the gals and men clubbing or you can just go sight seeing in Atlanta. Heck you can even go to a Waffle House at 3am with a group of gals (Right Christine?). My biggest complaint is there is not enough time to do it all and the only way to fit it in is to cut into the sleep patterns and this girl doesn't operate well without beauty sleep.

Lessons I learned. Jump in with both feet on the first day. The hotel and the area is crawling with Tgals and Tmen. Dress how you want to dress and get out in the sunshine. Enjoy the seminars. They are some of the best going. Spend some time talking with the folks at the employment seminar even if you are not looking for a job. It never hurts to make contacts and build relationships with TG friendly companies.

Don't be afraid to get out of the hotel. The Crown Plaza Ravina is in a wonderful part of town with a lot to do around it. Mingle with the girls. Get to know everybody you can.

Plan your wardrobe well. Katie makes a great point. I felt like I was under packed and I can rolling in with two huge suitcases. There were girls there that I swear had to have brought there entire wardrobe in a UHaul! It was amazing. I would plan on a casual outfit or two during the day and then a nice dressy outfit during the evening. Maybe a nice formal and a nice coctail dress for the evenings. The mall is across the street you can always do what I did and use as it as an excuse to go shop. :D

The rooms are not overly priced. If you know someone else that is going share a room. It cuts the costs enormously. Get the full meal plan. Lunch with the girls was the highlight of the day and the food was great.

I hope all this helps. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Melanie R
02-17-2010, 01:18 AM

You could also sign up for the Holiday At Sea, October 30-November 4 sailing on the Triumph out of New Orleans to Mexico - www.pmpub.com/holidayatsea.htm. The vent is sponsored by Tri-Ess but membership is not required. Being enfemme for five days on a cruise ship is the ultimate experience. The cost is the same or less than most land based TG conferences.

GypsyKaren
02-17-2010, 01:19 AM
I'm closing this thread because of deleted arguing, enough is enough.

Karen