PDA

View Full Version : Mardi Gras/Carnaval

RachelPortugal
01-27-2010, 03:51 AM
We plan to be in northern France or Belgium around Mardi Gras (Feb 16). I have read that cross dressing is a part of some parades in a few towns and quite often in period costume. Do any of you gurls know of any events where obvious cross dressing is accepted in the crowd?

For next year, we are planning to go to Venice for Mardi Gras. Em and I want to go to a ball together in beautiful 18th century period gowns.

:daydreaming:

Rachael

Electra
01-27-2010, 04:13 AM
Google 'mardi gras brussels', 'mardi gras venice' and so on, and you will find a lot of information online.

lisalove
01-27-2010, 05:51 PM
I went down to New Orleans a few years ago for Mardi gras, and dressed to the nines everynight I was there, without any bother from anyone.

linnea
01-27-2010, 06:27 PM
Part of the tradition of Mardi Gras is that it involves license to do pretty much anything a person wants to do. It is the excess before the scarcity or the freedom before the restriction. After filling one's desires on "fat Tuesday," the person traditionally would give up something(s) for Lent as a way of showing faith and devotion and gratitude for the life that Jesus gave to save His believers. That's the tradition in some of its convolutions.
So crossdressing probably doesn't raise any eyebrows on such occasions and where Mardi Gras is celebrated lavishly.
Have a great time!

RachelPortugal
01-31-2010, 04:05 AM
Google did not point us to any places where open cross dressing occurs in the crowds, so this year we will probably watch a parade in Dunkerque or Ballieul, but Rachael will wear some of her new wardrobe!

Next year we shall go to Venice, Em has been busy investigating costume styles. We intend to go to a ball as sisters-in-law (Em is married to Rachael's twin brother) in dresses similar to these. Sooo looking forward to it! We now need to learn some dances steps in the expectation that two unaccompanied ladies will be invited to take to the floor.