PDA

View Full Version : CDer dream photo shoot

Sally2005
01-29-2010, 12:14 AM
I was looking through the local classified and came upon an ad offering free photo session because they say it is the low cycle in the year. They are offering 40 something glam, modelling, a few others types and new bride trash the dress and the images on CD for women. I'm not sure why they are doing it... maybe they are looking for referrals and what better way than pull in customers who will tell their friends or to discover a new model...or there is some catch...

So I've emailed to ask for some information about the 'trash the dress' sessions. The gears in my head are thinking I've got this dress from halloween which I don't care too much about getting soiled a bit and it could be fun to do a photo session. I've got some concerns about how they would treat a CDer and how to spill the beans with my wife because if I do this I'll have to go all out...nails, legs etc.... but I think she would be fine...might think I'm off my rocker...but she would get a good laugh if I did it. I'm wondering if they do the makeup too.

Does anyone know about a trash the dress session? From what I gather from a quick web search, it is a photo shoot in unusual settings which could get the dress dirty or wet....probably not torn. So I'm thinking outside in the snow...on a building roof top...or worst case colored paint all over me.

Anyone else done anything like this?

Cristi
01-29-2010, 12:25 AM
The 'catch' is probably a free photo shoot... then a lot of pressure to buy a package of the images. They can make plenty of money selling you prints.

lingerieLiz
01-29-2010, 12:35 AM
I would be carefull about anything free. Even if they are students learning to shoot pictures once they take the pictures they will have a copy. You never know where they might end up. There are a lot of young girls finding their pictures being sold.

How out are you?

SurfNJ
01-29-2010, 12:51 AM
Actually it's a very real thing.
I know a lot oabout this since I work in the industry.

A new videographer, or a videographer trying to broaden thier scope may offer this service for free, since most bride's don't want to trash thier wedding dress. The thing is, those that do, will pay big for it, IF it's done well.
So the videographer has to have some samples to show prospective clients.

If you've had the offer than do it. I know I charge anywhere from $1400 on up for the service.

I would be carefull about anything free. Even if they are students learning to shoot pictures once they take the pictures they will have a copy. You never know where they might end up. There are a lot of young girls finding their pictures being sold.

How out are you?

I should have mentioned that a respected Photographer or videographer, will in no way betray a client's trust. In this industry your name is everything. Soil it one time, and your business will suffer.

So I say, do your research and rely in your common sense, as with most things in life.