PDA

View Full Version : Curlers!!!!

Genifer
08-07-2005, 10:01 AM
I feel like a dope!!! But how do u use curlers?? I am letting my hair grow, it is almost shoulder length now!! Where do u start with the curlers? I have started on top in front and in the back. Anyone that can tell me the best way to use them? I would be very thankful!!!

LouiseCassell
08-07-2005, 10:03 AM
I would suggest starting with help - go to a hairdressers or ask a friend who knows - and then just practise as much as you can.

Genifer
08-07-2005, 10:07 AM
Thank you Louise!!

LouiseCassell
08-07-2005, 10:08 AM
Thank you Louise!!

Glad to be of use!

Jen_TGCD
08-07-2005, 10:20 AM
Genifer...

One word! Google !!! :D

...or any search tool. Type in "hair styles" or "hair setting" or even curlers, hot rollers, etc. You should find some good info to get you started.

Angela Burke
08-07-2005, 10:21 AM
Genifer,
In all my years of cross-dressing even when I had my own long hair I never even thought of curlers!
Too late now of course, but I can see the attraction of going to a womens hairdressers and getting the full treatment!
As for DIY I've no idea, but I think you could make a real dogs breakfast of it (as with most departments of cross-dressing) if you don't know what you're doing.
That's why I'm sure someone here will be able to give you expert advice.

Love Angela XX

Wendy me
08-07-2005, 10:53 AM
my hair is naturly curlyjust a curse.......

Jen_TGCD
08-07-2005, 11:07 AM
As for DIY I've no idea, but I think you could make a real dogs breakfast of it (as with most departments of cross-dressing) if you don't know what you're doing.
Love Angela XX

:p OMG... that's a very good warning!

Can I tell you about the time I tried a curling iron? The smell of burning hair and human flesh was overwhelming! :eek: Those things get "HOT" ! ! ! I've watched GGs use them... it looked so easy.

In the past, I would get perms... it was during my "Afro", "big hair" phase. Hey... the Billy Preston look was cool! Even getting them done professionally was sometimes great... and sometimes I'd look like a Brillo pad. So... don't try the home perm thing. A lot of guys still get perms or body waves done... not a "gender" issue at all! Just go to a good stylist and get it done right.

Oh! And I tried "Dippity-Do" and bobby pins... with mixed results!

Other than a blow dryer... that's my "hair" experience. I was so thrilled the day I bought my first wig ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! :D

Jen_TGCD
08-07-2005, 11:12 AM
my hair is naturly curlyjust a curse.......

Wendy...

:p Shaddup ! ! ! ! ! !

A curse... indeed! :rolleyes:

Wendy me
08-07-2005, 04:25 PM
Wendy...

:p Shaddup ! ! ! ! ! !

A curse... indeed! :rolleyes:

sorry jen i had to...........

Wenda
08-07-2005, 05:14 PM
Hi, I am bald, so I don't do my own, but in the past, I have done rollers for family and friends. The advice from the other girls is good: don't do your own if you are planning to go out.
If you just want to experiment at home, however, I encourage experimentaion. Work with damp hair, and work from the part in the hair downwards and outwards.
Separate your hair into "zones" which are the width of curlers you are using, and work from the top to the bottom of each zone. The amount of hair that you work with in each curler is up to you and depends upon the length, thickness and texture of your hair, but you should consistently use the same amount for each curler.
Use a comb and pull the hair away perpendicular to your head. Hold the hair between two fingers, and apply a curler to the 'under' side of the section of hair and use it like a little brush, starting close to your head 'brush' the curler out to the end of the section of hair until there is just enough hair to begin to roll. Roll the curler downwards, keeping tension on it, until it touches your scalp.
To emphasize what the others have said, DO NOT use home permanent solution until you are confident of your ability. Just use wet hair, blow it dry, and use some spray n hold. That way, if the results suck, a quick shower will erase them. Have fun, tell us how it turns out. wenda.

Charlene Marie
10-18-2005, 05:54 PM
Genifer, The girlfriends have given you some good advice, but rolling your own hair is difficult. I know, I was a hardresser and I had trouble rolling my own. If you can find a friendly salon in Cheyenne go and see if they will give you a "Shampoo Set" that's what you should ask for.Salons that have been around for a long time are best, and look for a sign in the window that says,
" Walk-ins Welcome". You don't want a young trendy salon because chances are they don't want to do sets. Look for a older ladys salon they still do sets all the time. If there is an Asian community or Asian owned salond in your area,
try them first. They are really easy going and wonderful people. If you ask for
a set they will do it for you and not give you a second look. As far as their concerned your money is as good as anyones. And here's the bonus, you really feel up to it, go En Femm, they are used to this in their countries and they will welcome you. Try it,it's really fun.
At least this has been my experience, and I've been getting my wigs done in
two different Asian salons for 15 years.
Good Luch and report back to us. Another hint. If it is a Koren salon, when you walk in, say " On-ya-sa-seem, nee, ga " that's a very polite general greeting. It will blow their minds and they will like you right a way.

TGMarla
10-18-2005, 05:59 PM
I'm no one to talk, but perhaps a curling iron.....?

robinLynn
10-18-2005, 06:11 PM
I would suggest starting with help - go to a hairdressers or ask a friend who knows - and then just practise as much as you can.
i would definitly agree as my hair is past shoulder length

CharleneCD
10-18-2005, 11:14 PM
Genifer, If you look in my thread " culer time" in the pics section you will see a good example of curlers. But even after having my wife do it for me, there is no way I could manage to do it on my own without a whole lot of practice. I would try a solon for the first time, or find a GG who is willing to help you out.

susandrea
10-18-2005, 11:55 PM
I use hot curlers every morning. I've done it for about three decades!

Here are my hints:

Make sure the curlers are hot, and keep them plugged in until you are done rolling. (Then don't forget to unplug! Follow the directions on how long it takes your set to heat up--- you damage them by letting them stay heating for too long.)

Make sure your hair is dry and well combed before you start.

Use a comb to section even amounts of hair that are just a little bit less wide than the curler, and not too thick. You'll just have to experiment to get it right for your hair style. You can always brush over-curl out a bit if it's too curly, then use bigger rollers next time. USUALLY, you use the bigger curlers in back and the smaller ones on the front and sides, but not always. The curlers usually come with an instruction book to help you get started.

Make sure that whenn you roll up a section of hair, you can clip it so that it rests on top of MORE HAIR and not bare skin or it will burn. Your ears and forhead are most vulnerable. You will just have to practice. (No one said being a girl was easy or quick!) A well rolled curler should lie snug to your head and not fall out until you take it out.

When you roll up a section of hair, make SURE the ends are flat and not folded over, otherwise you'll get a weird kink that won't go away until you wash your hair again. Curling with hot rollers also adds shine to your hair and smoothes away frizzies. Well trimmed ends are so much easier to curl than rough ends.

USE A SETTING LOTION OR CREAM! I use "Bouncy Cream" by ISO, that I get at the beauty salon. After I wash and condition my hair, I towel dry and then put about a quarter's worth squirt and put it in my hair and comb it through so it's evenly distributed. (This helps hold the style.) After my hair is dry (air drying is better, but if you use a hairdryer don't fry out your hair by using it too long). As far as the amount to use, LESS IS BETTER THAN TOO MUCH. You have to experiment. Another setting setting lotion is "Maximum Body Leave-in treatment by Infusium 23"-- you can get it at most drug stores. Start out with a little and test-- you don't need much. It's great stuff. (So is their shampoo and conditioner).

When your curlers are in your hair, leave them in until they are cool, then gently take them out. Give your head a moment to cool, then run your fingers through your curls to loosen them. Gently style your hairdo with a wide-toothed comb and use a good hairspray to set it. Don't use too much hairspray, but try and get it even all around.

If you do use hairspary, rinse your hair once a week in apple cider vinegar (don't get it in your eyes!), which helps get the build-up off and makes your hair shiny. About a half a cup should do it, depending on the length of your hair. Baking soda mixed in with your shampoo does this too. If you don't get the hairspray build-up off your hair, it will soon get dull and lifeless and look (and BE) dirty.

Giving yourself a "Color Spa" by L'Oreal" (choose the shade closest to your natural color and keep it off your skin and OUT OF YOUR EYES---follow the directions to the letter!) It gives your hair loads of shine, body, and life! I do it every ten days, as this is a temporary coloring product and therefore gentle. The color-toned shampoo and conditioners out there add depth, too.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to PM me! :) Good luck!