PDA

View Full Version : Why do we take pictures?

Jamz1b
01-30-2010, 12:40 PM
I have been thinking about this a lot since my girl first found out through a photo. (she didn’t know it was me till I told her, after relentless prodding about it).

This thought came up again the other night, when I spent a few hours trying on my things and snapping shots like crazy.

My only thought is I don’t have a mirror to gaze into.

So why do you find your self in front of a camera?

Joni Marie Cruz
01-30-2010, 12:48 PM
Cuz I'm a vain ole bayotch? My first guess.

Maybe it's because the camera is more objective than my own perception and lets me see myself realistically whereas my own two eyes or even my friends (who are too kind) may not.

Hugs...Joni Mari

cindychan
01-30-2010, 12:48 PM
Cuz we are all Supermodels silly:D

Terry V
01-30-2010, 12:50 PM
I for one like taking pictures because, as was said in another thread, when I am dressed I love looking at myself and what I have become, the pictures remind me of that, when I can't dress or don't have the time to do things right so I look at the pictures of myself and I love the look I have made. I never show these pictures to anyone because they are for me and my enjoyment.

Sara Jessica
01-30-2010, 12:58 PM
Coming from someone who is not a lifelong picture-taker (I've only taken pictures for the last two years), I use the photos like anyone else would...for memories. I enjoy looking back on the pictures and my writings to remember my outings. During my current renaissance period but prior to the pictures, all I have are my written words. Those are beyond valuable but I still wish I had pictures to go along with the words.

But from a practical standpoint, there's always vanity to cite as a very legitimate reason!!!

Babette
01-30-2010, 01:01 PM
To me, photography and crossdressing are both art forms. Anyone can own a camera as well as a bunch of clothes. Making the most out each requires dedicated practice and with a critical eye for improvement. So why not use each as a means for developing the other art form? Besides, I have too much fun doing both.

Babette

diane51
01-30-2010, 01:03 PM
I have often wondered why I take so many pictures too. Aside from something creative to do while dressed I like to have them on hand for the times I can't dress. I'll take prehaps 45 pics in a 4 hour span. Then I'll delete the not so good ones and crop the ones I'll keep and delete somemore. I'll end up with close to 10 keepers. I do like to compare recent photos from past ones trying subtle changes in makeup and dress, skirt styles and hair. The camera makes it more fun.

Danielle Gee
01-30-2010, 01:07 PM
To me, photography and crossdressing are both art forms. Anyone can own a camera as well as a bunch of clothes. Making the most out each requires dedicated practice and with a critical eye for improvement. So why not use each as a means for developing the other art form? Besides, I have too much fun doing both.

Babette

:iagree:

Loni
01-30-2010, 01:08 PM
I have often wondered why I take so many pictures too. Aside from something creative to do while dressed I like to have them on hand for the times I can't dress. I'll take prehaps 45 pics in a 4 hour span. Then I'll delete the not so good ones and crop the ones I'll keep and delete somemore. I'll end up with close to 10 keepers. I do like to compare recent photos from past ones trying subtle changes in makeup and dress, skirt styles and hair. The camera makes it more fun.

45 shots in 4 hours...my my my.

I belive there has not been that many of me in about something like 40 years.

I am a bit camera shy.

Loni

Jason+
01-30-2010, 01:08 PM
The internet is how the fully dressed me gets out most so if I have a picture of the current outfit I like to put it into a profile for the transgender chat room I visit. Like one lady said it also gives me and anyone else who sees it a true look at what I look like. I like feedback and suggestions even when sometimes it's back to the drawing board with that one. :D

MizT
01-30-2010, 01:10 PM
Don't have any issues with photo's. I just do not take any at all..ever.

pernille d
01-30-2010, 01:29 PM
being fashion photographer i know why i take pictures when related to my job . and photos can be for art , press, historical and comercial . therefore I too have wondered where do we all fit in to this .

The pictures i take of myself are nothing like i take at work and i think serve as some form of record of the moment + and as i am in the closet i think its a way of getting out i the open but still saying in the closset.

my so spends ages getting ready if we are going out and see feels good and i always think its nice to see her a little specal so lets face it , some of us spend ages getting ready, but no one ever sees us or complimets us so i could also guess we take photos as some form of self expression .

as a last word we probably all end up taking pictures for different e resons but what the heck is it not fun :)

PretzelGirl
01-30-2010, 01:39 PM
I have never been a big photographer. I am just not good at it and if I have too many to go through, then I don't feel like looking.

But when I dress, I do tend to think about it a little more (which isn't saying much). But I do want some pictures for a couple of reasons. First, I do want to be able to look back and see what was and hopefully the improvements as I went along. But also, I feel I tend to judge my look in a mirror too harshly as I can lean in and see every error or problem. A picture gives me a view that is more like what other people might see. Basically, the take one step back and take in the whole view kind of thing.

Wen4cd
01-30-2010, 01:42 PM
So that I can remember the moments.
So that my friends online can see what I look like.
Practice for real photography.
Self Portraiture is a valid and well-known form of expression.

Joanie_Shakti
01-30-2010, 02:18 PM
Speaking for myself, I think crosdressers are all a bit narcissistic. Most of us are trying to be the best looking girl we can and enjoy looking at our female selves in mirrors. Like the saying goes, "take a picture, it lasts longer." :D

It's kind of ironic that I consider myself narcissistic and I enjoy looking at my CD pictures as I have had low self esteem most of my life. I was teased in school over my weight and having slight breasts, so I never felt attractive, especially to women. Until a few years ago, this carried over through most of my adult life. I still have a weight problem but there are times in the mirror now that I feel I'm also a good looking guy.

I think part of this is that I've decided to embrace my crossdressing in the last couple of years. As I try to look better as a woman, the care for myself carries over to my male persona. One thing I like about pictures is to see how much my female look has improved over just the last year. Most of the earlier ones I can't stand to look at anymore.

Spacey
01-30-2010, 02:21 PM
So that I can remember the moments.
So that my friends online can see what I look like.
Practice for real photography.
Self Portraiture is a valid and well-known form of expression.

Yes, yes, yes, and yes.

I'm not dressed all the time so I feel the need to capture a sort of essence of who I am inside. I can later look at them and say "that's me!". I want people to see who I am. I just love photography. It's something I've always liked. For me, I'm not happy with what I look like as a man I don't wish to be photographed then. Total reversal as a woman. Strange?

Miranda09
01-30-2010, 02:29 PM

:iagree: Plus it's just alot of fun to see how you look from the viewpoint of an outsider, which is what you are when you see a picture. :)

sherri52
01-30-2010, 02:47 PM
We look in a mirror and see what is good, maybe. We take pictures first to admire ourselves later when we are not dressed. Second, so that we can see our progress as to how well we dress or put on makeup. And lastly because we are proud that we can make the changes and show others our success. While in the closet one who goes out dressed for halloween will still show friends and co-workers the pictures for months to come.

Joanne f
01-30-2010, 03:00 PM
Two reasons , first so that i can see what i look like , and secondly i think it is important (to me) that if anyone ever sent me a message they would know who they are sending it to , (which accounts for the lack of messages)::devil:

docrobbysherry
01-30-2010, 03:24 PM
Cuz I'm a vain ole bayotch? My first guess.

Maybe it's because the camera is more objective than my own perception and lets me see myself realistically whereas my own two eyes or even my friends (who are too kind) may not.
Hugs...Joni Mari

I agree, Joni, except Sherry's MUCH MORE than simply VAIN! In her mind, she's a DRAG QUEEN!:brolleyes:
As for a camera being objective, Joni, you've got the WRONG BRAND! Sherry's BEST pictures r COMPLETELY AN ILLUSION!:eek:

I'll take perhaps 45 pics in a 4 hour span.

Seriously, Diane, 45 in 4 hours? :straightface:
In 4 hours, using a camcorder and still digital, I'll get 1500 to 2000!
And, like u, I'll have maybe 10% "keepers". But, that's 150 of Sherry, compared to 5 of Diane!:heehee: I PREFER those odds!

Genifer Teal
01-30-2010, 03:37 PM
We all know the saying "If a tree falls in the forest . . ." I have my own version which may relate to us. "If we dress up and no one took a picture,does it really count?" I believe that when no one is there to see you, we miss out on the compliments and suggestions we might get from others.
Having a photo to show is a chance to say "Here is how good I looked".

Personally, seeing myself in photos, gives me a change to see how I look from an outside perspective. It is different from what a mirror can tell me. Also, seeing myself at a party or where ever, having a good time, reminds me why this is worth all the trouble it can sometimes be.

Gen

Ruth
01-30-2010, 04:14 PM
Taking a picture is different from looking in a mirror. We don't exactly know why, but a photo is more like what other people would see.
I won't say the camera never lies, because that's obvious rubbish: let's just say it tells a different story from the way we look to ourselves.
And yes, photos serve as memories. Just don't leave them lying around.

Kate Simmons
01-30-2010, 05:30 PM
Self critiquing mostly.:)

msniki48
01-30-2010, 06:27 PM
We all know the saying "If a tree falls in the forest . . ." I have my own version which may relate to us. "If we dress up and no one took a picture,does it really count?" I believe that when no one is there to see you, we miss out on the compliments and suggestions we might get from others.
Having a photo to show is a chance to say "Here is how good I looked".

Personally, seeing myself in photos, gives me a change to see how I look from an outside perspective. It is different from what a mirror can tell me. Also, seeing myself at a party or where ever, having a good time, reminds me why this is worth all the trouble it can sometimes be.

Gen

Genifer... I like the way you think!

hugs

msniki48

Genifer Teal
01-30-2010, 06:31 PM
TY:)

Gen

Genifer... I like the way you think!

hugs

msniki48

msniki48
01-30-2010, 06:32 PM
Jamie,
there seems to be a common thread...another view of myself closer to what someone else sees, also for me, it is that friendly reminder, that niki exists...especially when i can't see her. i have many times opened my little pink picture book....go through the pics, and sigh.:daydreaming:

and i agree with your odds: only 40 to 50 pics in 4 hours....tsk tsk tsk.

hugs

msniki48

tess graham
01-30-2010, 06:39 PM
I take pics to check myself to see what details I missed or forgot to take care of.
I guess I really do not trust the mirror. I also use pictures to see what outfits worked in the past and which didn't look as good as I thought they did. AND, of course, as a reminder of the woman I am determined to become the me the world sees.
Tess

Kerrie Sifton
01-30-2010, 06:48 PM
The first time I saw my legs in heels and a mini skirt I was astounded. I had to take the pictures, just so I would not forget how marvelous an experience it was. The next time when I had a makeover, i was just so please with the look that I wanted to document the event.
I do think I look prettier as a girl and love the experiences. The pictures help keep the momentum.

Kerrie

Jocelyn Quivers
01-30-2010, 06:52 PM
Self critiquing mostly.:)

Same here, I also use pictures as a means to judge how my look and appearance has either improved or gotten worse at times.

Also being that I currently do not make live apperances anywhere, as a means to showing my friends who I am.

Mary Jane
01-30-2010, 07:08 PM
For me, dressing up is very visual. I spend my entire time posing and taking pictures. I only get to dress about once a month usually and by having lots of pictures i can work on them the rest of the month and improve them. I have often wondered if I would stillwant to dress if ZI coulnot take pictures. Probaly so but it would not be as much fun, for sure.

tamarav
01-30-2010, 08:13 PM
I have taken literally hundreds of thousand of pictures, 95% of which will never be seen by anyone else.

After the pink fog has thoroughly lifted I go back and study each picture. I fix what I think is wrong with my look and evaluate it with the next set of pictures.

Also, it is great to see progress in your dressing skills over time and to re-live favorite looks.

Anita Lynn
01-30-2010, 09:20 PM

:iagree: Of course, this phenomenon only occures when I forget to cut the eye holes in my brown bag I have to put over my head to avoid nausia!!!

MissyAnn

cd_ellen32
01-30-2010, 10:56 PM
I take pictures of myself to see if my overall appearance has gotten better or worse. Over the course of the last year I have seen a big improvement in my makeup.

Ellen

Cathytg
01-30-2010, 11:43 PM
I guess that I take pictures because it is the safest way I know of to be seen by many people. In that regard, it gives me a certain feeling of acceptance and validation.

Sally2005
01-31-2010, 12:41 AM
In the beginning before digital, I never did. After digital it was a great way to get immediate feedback and after joining a forum, it was fun to see other CDers and I felt guilty not sharing so I did. Now I also keep some images because it is fun to look back at them from time to time.

Barbara Dugan
01-31-2010, 12:46 AM
:hugs:because is fun and the pictures most ofthe time dont lie

JaytoJillian
01-31-2010, 01:10 AM
Just for general purpose, my SO likes to remind me that I make an ugly woman. It hurts because the femme side is a part of me just like the guy side. I take pictures in order to see what she sees that makes me so fugly to her. I post pix here to gather feedback and constructive criticism. I keep thousands of pics on flicker, and that collection is like a photo journal of my CDing.

I like going out because I like the positive reaction that I typically get from both men and women. "Passing" is never the goal--I don't even know what it means. Presenting myself as someone who has made an effort to look their best is what I'm after.

Byanca
01-31-2010, 03:14 AM
It's just something most girls do. I heard a known fashion photographer say that it was surely in the genes. Also told a story where a comedian just had a lens with no camera attached. And sure enough, without exceptions this was enough to bring fourth the pose with girls.

So I guess it's just the way it is.

crusadergirl
01-31-2010, 03:23 AM
I agree Supermodels thats it

t-girlxsophie
01-31-2010, 04:32 AM
I agree with a lot of what the girls have been saying
i take pics because I love to see how I look in my nicest outfits,and a lot of vanity is involved too

Its also nice to look back at your progression,and how far you have come,and maybe in your Dotage you can finally look back and say "hey,I didn't look half bad:notworthy:

t-girlxsophie
01-31-2010, 04:37 AM
I have to say Jillian,and I mean no disrespect your SO,but I have to disagree,I think you make a lovely Woman

sophie xx

MargaretJ
01-31-2010, 09:13 AM
Because Margaret is a vain old cow. I don't like being photographed normally, but I like the way I look as Margaret, as it reflects my personality more.

Kim_Bitzflick
02-01-2010, 09:35 PM
I was just looking at the picture gallery & it hit me. OW!

I take pictures to remember what I look like because I can not be Kim all the time and therefore I don't remember what I look like.

Plus I love the compliments I get here.

Hugs

Leslie Mary S
02-01-2010, 10:02 PM
I am a professional Photographer.

My picture taking of myself started when a pair of my models said "He papa/Daddy you need to know what it's like to be in front of the lens'.

So they took me into my bedroom, Went through my model wardrobes that is also where my wardrobe is hidden (in plain sight). Up till then, they did not realize that I cross-dressed and that that section of clothes and shoes were "MY" clothes.

Then they painted my toenails and applied false fingernails (claws). Then had me put on some underwear they thought I might fit into (of course they did, they were from my underwear drawer.
At the time, I was using 'B' cup inserts. I had two sets. The girls put in both sets, one in front of the other.
They did evening/clubbing makeup, dress, shoes, and wig. Then they had me step in front of the studio lights and camera. (sorry folks, you don't get to see the photos)

Now I take photos of myself about ever 3 months or when I find a fetching outfit.
These photos keep helping me refine my look. Got to get a video and work on live action presentations of myself.

AmiFL
02-01-2010, 11:26 PM
I cannot dress for real right now.... to many complications in my life. But thanks to the internet I can be the gurl I wish I could be.

I love to see myself in pictures and apparently so do some of the other guests who visit my albums :o ....... and it feels nice to be seen and noticed.

Check out www.faceinhole.com for the body and www.taaz.com for the makeup and hair.

Look what it did for me.....................

gabimartini
02-02-2010, 08:38 AM

Totally! Guilty as charged! I take TONS of pics... lol.

BLUE ORCHID
02-02-2010, 09:21 AM

45 in 4:hrs ?
Sometimes when I'm out railfanning I can take that many
in two minutes.

Orchid

eluuzion
02-02-2010, 10:58 AM
because we want to make sure we leave enough evidence for whomever finds it to be able to blackmail us...lol

Cathytg, I agree

Acceptance & validation.

When someone experiences a tragic event, such as an accident, trauma, etc, an important part of the healing process is "ruminating" or "retelling" the story repeatedly. It is the way our mind "heals itself" by slowly accepting what actually happened.

The picture taking is a similar issue. It is just spread out over time instead of all happening in an instant, like the accident. Most of this is an unconscious process, that just appears to be just primping and perfecting practice.

ShirleyO
02-02-2010, 11:36 AM
Well I can only tell you that I want to see for my self what I look like. I want to be the best I can be. I can't do that in the mirror. I have a wonderful photographer that posses me in the most feminin ways and i really like that she is very Trans friendly and even does my makeup for me for special occassion. If you are ever in the pacific Northwest you should check out Suzamarie.com. She is the best.

Danielle76
02-02-2010, 11:37 AM
I have a huge catalog of pics of myself dressed up. It's definitely sexual for me. Love to see different outfits and how they look with black stockings, nude stockings, and so on...

aggi123
02-02-2010, 11:39 AM
I never took pictures before signing up on this site LOL. I just wanted to join in on the fun and show you all what I look like :)

monika
02-02-2010, 11:39 AM
It is fun and we all wanna hear that we look pretty, so we post our pics all over the net:)
I think CD`ing is a very visual hobby for me.
The excitement of creating different looks, it is also a way to catalogue and remember them for later.

MimiLee
02-02-2010, 11:54 AM
I luv catching myself in that moment of being sexy and femme. Its great having pics, i enjoy looking back at all of them, from old to new and seeing how I've progressed in style and appearance over the years.

StephanieH
02-02-2010, 12:03 PM
Because the camera don't lie. We can tell ourselves we look okay in the mirror, but how many times do you take a picture and go "Whoa!"

I think it's because we're morbidly curious to see ourselves as others will view us, and a bit of digital photography gives us a shot at that - pun intended.

God bless! :)