PDA

View Full Version : What my shadow tells me....

Kristen Marie
01-31-2010, 07:10 PM
I was out in the cold late afternoon sun with a female colleague this past week, and as we walked together, my shadow depicted a hunched over, gorilla looking, arm swinging guy walking beside this curvy, elbows tucked closely her side, legs swinging in a perfectly straght line image.

Yuck...do I really look like this???

As we chatted, I slowly started correcting my walk, not trying to imitate her and be too obvious, but tried to de-masculinize (is that a word) my gait.
It did seem to work, but it was a good reminder that it is way to easy to fall back into my ugly guy mode.

Where else do you get your clues?

jill_cd_girl
01-31-2010, 07:21 PM
I've tried recording a short video of myself before walking around. it's a good way to 'correct' any of the masculine characteristics of one's mannerisms. The shadow thing seems like it'd be a good technique, especially since it blocks out the interior features and helps you just focus on the movements.

I've heard that part of the reason that there's a difference in the way men and women walk has to do with the anatomical structures. I think women may walk with the hip swinging more than men. I'm not certain about this.

Joann Smith
01-31-2010, 07:23 PM
I got the same problem ... my walk is pretty bad too...somthing this post reminded me i really need to work on ...

Gee thanks

Joann

Cathytg
01-31-2010, 08:42 PM
Wow! That is quite a revelation. The point isn't so much the shadow as the sliding backwards from a feminine presentment. I wonder how often I do that. Going to have to look at myself more often.

SuzanneBender
01-31-2010, 08:46 PM
We simply revert to what we have been taught all of our lives. Gorrilla mode is cool for boys. Girls are taught from an early age to walk talk and behave the way that they do. We are making up for years of being deprived.

I highly recommend dance lessons. It is a great way to learn to monitor your kinetic movements. Other than that practice practice practice!

Miranda09
01-31-2010, 08:53 PM
I spend alot of time just watching women and observe how they walk. As you might guess, it IS very different than a male walk, so whenever I dress up, I always make a conscious effort to walk in the same manner, even if it's only at home. I'll even practice when i'm in drab mode!! :)

paulaN
01-31-2010, 09:12 PM
Hey gorilla girl. LOL. Seems to me you was girl watching at FE 2010 a couple of weeks ago. Your comment to me was everyone looked so good. But most still walked like a man. Your comment helped me walk better for the remainder of my trip. At least some of the times, cause I would revert back to my gorilla gate out of habbit. Just goes to show ya how hard it is to get rid of him.lol. Even if it is only for a couple of hours. Also goes to show ya how soon we forget out own observations. It is good that you caught yourself. Now you can improve yourself. So remember your shadow girl.

mylieanna
01-31-2010, 09:31 PM
yup it happens, but apparently i walk like a chic anyway, i dont seem to agree, but its what i been told. always gota pay attention to your looks which includes walking.

Kendra Amaya
01-31-2010, 09:36 PM
Some of it is anatomical too. Women have proportionately wider hips which does affect their walk. Consciously practicing to simulate the natural "wiggle" of a woman's hips is really the only way to overcome it.

Rachel Morley
01-31-2010, 10:16 PM
Yuck...do I really look like this??? ..... it was a good reminder that it is way to easy to fall back into my ugly guy mode.
Tell me about it! When I first started videoing myself I was mega depressed. I was feeling feminine alright, but wow my walk was not in the least bit feminine. I've practiced and practiced and it is much better now, but if I relax too much and don't pay attention to what I'm doing (especially in the high heels I usually wear) then it can go all wrong. Thankfully I have a rather assertive wife who lets me know right away if my behaviour is not feminine enough!

Kristen Marie
02-01-2010, 02:00 PM
Hey gorilla girl. LOL. Seems to me you was girl watching at FE 2010 a couple of weeks ago. Your comment to me was everyone looked so good. But most still walked like a man. Your comment helped me walk better for the remainder of my trip. At least some of the times, cause I would revert back to my gorilla gate out of habbit. Just goes to show ya how hard it is to get rid of him.lol. Even if it is only for a couple of hours. Also goes to show ya how soon we forget out own observations. It is good that you caught yourself. Now you can improve yourself. So remember your shadow girl.

And sometimes with the light glaring from the back, you cannot see who it is, but you know it's not a female based on what you can see.

Hope
02-01-2010, 10:18 PM
The shadow knows... So does the reflection in the store window...

It isn't always pleasant to hear what they have to say - but those are often the most important messages to hear.

I definitely know the feeling.

windycissy
02-01-2010, 11:00 PM
The shadow knows... So does the reflection in the store window...

It isn't always pleasant to hear what they have to say - but those are often the most important messages to hear.

I definitely know the feeling.

Well said, I've learned a lot from watching my shadow, and I never pass up a chance to admire myself in a store window...fraility thy name is woman!

AnnaBMarie
02-02-2010, 12:20 AM
A few weeks ago I was able to spend the entire weekend in heels practicing before my big outing. They say that practice gives the muscles a "memory" and I think it's true because I found myself falling back into the feminine walk on Monday. It was hard to switch back and forth.