PDA

View Full Version : Who do you identify with ?

Madilyn A.
02-01-2010, 02:46 PM
I am curious, when you were young while watching TV or a movie, who did you identify with ? Meaning for many of us as children the male hero, or the damsel in distress ? For me I loved the Donna Reed Show and I wanted to be Donna Reed. I wanted to be Mrs. Cleaver, not the Beaver. Anyway, just curious ? ..........Madilyn:daydreaming:

Kelle
02-01-2010, 02:49 PM
I wanted to be like either Angela Cartwright on the Danny Thomas Show or Janet Lennon of the Lennon Sisters.:)

Kate Simmons
02-01-2010, 03:21 PM
Emma Peel, who else?;):)

Brooke Smith
02-01-2010, 04:14 PM
Emma Peel, who else?;):)

You have excellent taste,but you can't possibly be that old.

Kathi Lake
02-01-2010, 04:46 PM
I like Emma Peel as well (no, I may not be that old, but there was a station that had a lot of reruns while I was growing up - KTLA, I think). Reason? She was certainly not a damsel in distress, and yet was clearly a woman. You don't have to be weak to be feminine!

Kathi

Lissa Stevens
02-01-2010, 04:50 PM
Elizabeth Montgomery from Bewitched. I dreamed of being her.

Joni Marie Cruz
02-01-2010, 04:59 PM
Princess Summerfallwinterspring. Yes<sigh>, I am that old. And from the same show, Clarabelle the Clown, possibly because of that whole indeterminate gender thing. I mean, what gender exactly was Clarabelle?

Seriously? Barbara Eden from I Dream of Jeannie. And OMG, that harem outfit! I so wanted to be just like her, ooh-la-la.

Contemporary programs (even though you didn't ask)? Emily Deschanels who plays Dr Temperance Brennan on Bones, I love how beautiful she is and the jewelry she wears.

Hugs...Joni Mari

Kate Simmons
02-01-2010, 05:25 PM
You have excellent taste,but you can't possibly be that old.How old would that be Hon? Let me give you a hint. I didn't watch the reruns. Anti-oxidants work wonders ya know.:heehee:

gabimartini
02-01-2010, 05:40 PM
One of the policewomen in CHIPs... lol. Character's name was Cindy.

Stephanie Miller
02-01-2010, 05:43 PM
That's an easy one. No doubt in my mind. It would definatly be Sandra Dee when she played "Gidget" .... No, wait... make that Debbie Reynolds.... Oh! Oh.. no I mean Annette Funicello... Dad gum it, did I say Annette? I meant Natalie Wood.
Crumb. :doh: To darn many to pick. But you got to admit - The sytyles were great, the girls acted like girls and there was an era that oozed femininity.:daydreaming:

corynn
02-01-2010, 05:45 PM
i have always thought Audrey Hepburn timeless beauty and very poised

aggi123
02-01-2010, 05:54 PM
I wanted to be this man. Scott "Cyclops" Summers. To this day, is still one of my all time favorite fictional characters.

http://www.aceshowbiz.com/images/news/00022038.jpg

carhill2mn
02-01-2010, 06:12 PM
Same here!

sherri52
02-01-2010, 06:20 PM
Barbara eden in "I dream of Jeanie"
I graduated and wanted to be Heather Locklear on "T.J. Hooker"
I'd still like to look like her.

Kerigirl2009
02-02-2010, 12:44 AM
Well for me when it comes to who I wanted to be, it was MaryAnn from Gilligans Island. The female Wonder Twin, Daisy Duke from the Dukes of Hazzard, But for the male side I would say Terry Bradshaw, Fran Tarkington, Tommy Kramer, I always wanted to be a professional Football QB :)

Debra Jane
02-02-2010, 01:31 AM
Jamie Lee Curtis, Lynda Carter, Olivia Newton John and Elizabeth as well as Annette.

ArleneRaquel
02-02-2010, 02:52 AM
Marilyn Monroe in fashion eyewear. :battingeyelashes: n n

Racheal Ann
02-02-2010, 05:06 AM
Loreta Young (boy am i getting old)

Madilyn A.
02-02-2010, 07:02 AM
Kelle, Two of my favorites as well. Let's see Angela's brother's name on the show was Rusty, no prefered Angela, but her show name escapes me; and Janet Lennon, youngest of the 4, best looking one also. Janet still looks good if you have an opportunity to see any of the reunion shows.........Madilyn

Loved her boots !!.Madilyn

Stephanie, Loved you comment, you are right there were too many, and with nearly every show, we would indentify with the female characters, and yes that era oozes with femininity.....Hugs, Madilyn

Megan_Okana
02-02-2010, 07:59 AM
Torrance Shipman from "Bring it On" I remember saying I wanted to watch the cheerleaders be hot. I just wanted to be Torrance

My other favorite fictional charater is Britney Spears, the 1999-2001 vintage

http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv216/Megan_Ok/image2.jpghttp://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv216/Megan_Ok/B00000G1IL01_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Tina L.
02-02-2010, 08:00 AM
Bailey from WKRP in Cincinnati or Sandra Dee

Tina L.

MargaretJ
02-02-2010, 04:28 PM
Lee Meriweather, one of the actresses who played Catwoman in the Batman TV series. At about 8 years old I loved that catsuit.

JamieOH
02-02-2010, 04:49 PM
For me I always wanted to be Dr Dre, or Ice Cube.. Rappin and shootin people... Actin a fool... ok ok, not really.. I always wanted to be Mr. Fantastic, being able to stretch and change his appearance.. that was awesome.. He could look like a table, or a banana, or even a woman... What a great thing that would be... hehe

Danielle Gee
02-02-2010, 05:16 PM
Victoria Barkley was my idol!! Loved her outfits:love:

ruthie801
02-03-2010, 10:02 AM
omg yes Donna Reed or June Cleaver my idols

Madilyn A.
02-03-2010, 11:33 AM
It appears that you ore fond of class and beauty, Donna Reed, OMG !! ......Madilyn

Frédérique
02-04-2010, 06:57 AM
I am curious, when you were young while watching TV or a movie, who did you identify with ? Meaning for many of us as children the male hero, or the damsel in distress ?

I identify with young females who are wiser than their tender years may suggest, which means I like fictional characters that have been created (most probably) by male writers – literary crossdressing, perhaps? I could cite many examples from films you’ve never seen or even heard of, since I don’t subscribe to the accepted notions of character put forth in the media today. I also identify with boys who are not like typical boys – they may be effeminate (in the eyes of others), shy, shunned by their peers, or just plain misunderstood. They may or may not possess “feminine” personality traits, according to one’s definition, but I don’t really think too much about it. If a character is interesting and likable, yet somewhat non-confrontational and vulnerable (and different because of it), I’m on their side…:)

sometimes_miss
02-04-2010, 07:19 AM
Nancy Drew. I used to sneak read my sisters books, then put them back. To this day I don't think anyone knew, because I was a voracious reader as a kid, and went through all the hardy boys, tom swift and doc savage series pretty quick.

KayleeDahl
02-04-2010, 04:01 PM
It always seems to be the female protagonist that I relate to more in any movie or tv program.

Used to love Dawsons Creek!

msniki48
02-04-2010, 05:21 PM
I loved the Donna Reed Show and I wanted to be Donna Reed. I wanted to be Mrs. Cleaver, not the Beaver. Anyway, just curious ? ..........Madilyn:daydreaming:

Madilyn,

you are a woman after my own heart...you hit the girls...right on the head...:doh: this has always been my dream even as a child in early teens.

i;m just a 50's housewife at heart.

Now if my wife could only support me in the manner to which i've become accustom toooooo!:heehee:

Life would be grand:battingeyelashes:

Lori31
02-04-2010, 11:16 PM
How about Kelly Kapowski from Saved By The Bell. She was the head cheerleader and she dated that hunk Zack Morris. What more could a girl want.

RiverdanceGirl
02-04-2010, 11:54 PM
Sarah Jane Smith From Doctor Who.

http://http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http://members.wap.org/kevin.parker/chp/sarahpm.jpg&imgrefurl=http://members.wap.org/kevin.parker/chp/sarahjane.html&usg=__r4KXHjliwxLA0Y7e0YnYYGeZkCA=&h=359&w=274&sz=30&hl=en&start=17&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=O6_f0EMHOK2e1M:&tbnh=121&tbnw=92&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dsarah%2Bjane%2Bsmith%26hl%3Den%26sa%3 DN%26um%3D1

Bethany_Anne_Fae
02-04-2010, 11:56 PM
Back in the 70s? Joanna Lumley & Morticia Adams :)

Today, Judi Dench or Helen Mirren and though I may not be their age yet, I hope I look half as good as they do now :)

*hugs*

Zarabeth

SpritzNJ
02-05-2010, 12:01 AM
Donna Mills when she was on Knots Landing

ArleneRaquel
02-05-2010, 12:16 AM
The times that I am a redhead - Maureen O Hara. :battingeyelashes:

Aubrey Green
02-05-2010, 12:37 AM
actually had both a male and female hero's and they just happened to be on the same show. Gilligan and MaryAnn, I wanted to be both.

Pepper2783
02-05-2010, 12:54 AM
The woman I most identify with is a girl I once knew and was in love with. Her name was Shayla. 5'2 Brown hair and eye, funny, smart, witty. AMAZING. I miss her all the time.

HannahF6
02-05-2010, 12:54 AM
I must be too old, I do remember fixating on Emma Peel when she was new to TV, I will never forget The Avengers! But no, the woman who made me want to be a woman was Maria Callas. I still adore her voice, despite the rough edges, but she was the greatest singing actress in history. I,ve seen films of her with her big white gowns singing this heavenly music and I so much wanted to be in her place. Regretfully I sing bass, not soprano, and not just bass, I'm a low bass, a B2.

Shari
02-05-2010, 07:08 AM
Sherry Jackson, not Angela Cartwright on "Make room for daddy"

Barbara Eden and Ann Margret are still deep within my heart too.

Samantha B L
02-05-2010, 10:43 AM
Barbara Feldon and Tina Louise. Melody Patterson,too. From the time The Beatles were on Ed Sullivan I was very preoccupied with female vocalists like Barbara Lewis,Marrianne Faithful and of course,Sandie Shaw

lavistaa62
02-05-2010, 11:27 AM
Judy Dench, Helen Mirren and Emma Thompson. All have a lot in common with another. I esp identify with Emma Thompson- it seemed at the time (Alfresco) she was perfect. Now I understand why the attraction was not sexual but more of a longing admiration.

The shows she, Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie put together before they moved on to the Black Adder stuff were classic. (fyi- the shows specialized in bad taste)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fND_JPRLNMc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fND_JPRLNMc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Samantha43
02-05-2010, 12:30 PM
Daisy Duke........or Sonny Crocket.

It depended on what mood I was in ;)

stephi
02-05-2010, 04:31 PM
Easy one for me Linda Carter as Wonder Woman - just loved her when a boy, wasnt 100% sure why but loved her outfit, boots and hair and bangles

Have you seen her recently - WOW

Sigh:o

lissetta
02-05-2010, 04:44 PM
Oh early mornings the Patti Duke show is on the Gal that played her mother is my xdress idol her name....help!!

Madilyn A.
02-05-2010, 10:01 PM
Lissetta, Her name was Jean Byron, played Natalie Lane, the mother. Good choice !....Madilyn

Joann0830
02-05-2010, 10:12 PM
I wanted to be like Honey West, Mrs Peel, and Annie Oakley. all of the action Ladies Annie Oakley when I was Very Young, a little Older Honey West and then Mrs Peel.Joann0830:battingeyelashes::heehee::love:

MelanieCA
02-06-2010, 04:17 AM
Jamie Lee Curtis, Lynda Carter, Olivia Newton John and Elizabeth as well as Annette.

:daydreaming: One of my favorite things to do while I'm driving alone in the car is to put on the soundtrack of Grease, and sing "Hopelessly Devoted to You", imagining that I'm Olivia Newton John in that scene, wearing that nightgown....<sigh>

Cary
02-06-2010, 01:51 PM
-Linda Carter as Wonder Woman
-Dede McCall from the Hunter TV show
-All of Charlie's Angels(tv show and movies including D. Moore)

Dee2U
02-06-2010, 04:33 PM
This too is a wonderful thread. Right now I am reading Eat, Pray, Love and I am finding it so easy to identify with Elizabeth Gilbert throughout - both in how she sees the world and her rocky marriage early on to the aching for love, romance and sex later on. I really recommend this book.

Although I identify with the women in most of TV and movies (I would really love to be Meg Ryan in Youve Got Mail) my stronger identifications are in literature. I love Jane Austin's protagonists...Dee

TeriAnn
02-06-2010, 04:39 PM
I idenitify with Catherine Zeta Jones. She is everything I would want to be. Plus she is so sexy:thumbsup:

ArleneRaquel
03-26-2010, 07:50 PM
I always liked Lee Merriwether in the Catwoman outfit. :battingeyelashes:

Tina B.
03-26-2010, 08:39 PM
Doris Day, almost any one of her Romantic comedies, the woman had a great wardrobe in most of them, and had a sweet wholesome look that I loved.
Tina B.

Byanca
03-26-2010, 08:55 PM
Alice in wonderland. Cinderella. Snowwhite..

For real.

Evangeline Lilly (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1431940/)

Like in every movie. Zooey Deschanel (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0221046/) That's everything I want to be.

immike
03-26-2010, 09:03 PM
I love the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders&I would love to have a DCC uniform

jenifer m.
03-26-2010, 09:43 PM
for me it was elizabeth montgomery from b-witched.i still think shes hot.

MsJanessa
03-26-2010, 09:43 PM
Emma Peel (Dianna Rigg) or maybe Julie Newmar as Catwoman--love those leather outfits

Lynn Marie
03-26-2010, 10:13 PM
Elizabeth Taylor as "Maggie the Cat" in the 1959 movie release Tennesee Williams play "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof" starring Paul Newman, Elizabeth Taylor, and Burl Ives. I met BurL Ives once. In the first 10 minutes of the movie Maggie goes upstairs to her and Brick's (Paul Newman) bedroom and changes her nylons that had been splashed by her sister-in-law's bratty kids. She's wearing a form fitting white slip with a zipper under her arm. Liz is simply breathtaking.

Now you'all know about "Maggie the Cat".

Madilyn A.
03-26-2010, 10:19 PM
Elizabeth Taylor as "Maggie the Cat" in the 1959 movie release Tennesee Williams play "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof" starring Paul Newman, Elizabeth Taylor, and Burl Ives. I met BurL Ives once. In the first 10 minutes of the movie Maggie goes upstairs to her and Brick's (Paul Newman) bedroom and changes her nylons that had been splashed by her sister-in-law's bratty kids. She's wearing a form fitting white slip with a zipper under her arm. Liz is simply breathtaking.

Now you'all know about "Maggie the Cat".

Lynn Marie, After reading your description, I just had a hot flash, is anyone else having a hot flash ??

Lynn Marie
03-26-2010, 11:06 PM
LOL Madilyn, of course, I am.

Madilyn A.
03-27-2010, 06:56 AM
Lynn Marie, Your description calls to mind the scene where Mrs. Robinson, (Ann Bancroft) seduces a young Dustin Hoffman. The power of hosiery !!

Juanita O
03-27-2010, 07:34 AM
Kathleen Turner, Linda Carter,Daisy Duke.

krissy
03-27-2010, 07:51 AM
me i love elvira :hugs:

Maureen
03-27-2010, 09:06 AM
Marlo Thomas as Ann Marie in "That Girl". Awesome clothes and a "flip" hairdo that I would still love to wear.
My mother always teased me about having a crush on her because the way I would stare at her. Little did she know I was dying to be her.

Toni_Lynn
03-27-2010, 09:18 AM
Hmm -- well -- in terms of some current stuff:

Cold Case: Kathryn Morris' character of Lilly Rush
Heros: Brea Grant's character of Daphne Millbrook

I think the reason is because they are tomboys in a certain way, and the type of girl I'd love be.

Old stuff:
On shows like the Brady Bunch, etc, it was always any girl who was my age at the time. But certainly in case of Brady Bunch it was also Greg and Peter because I projected thoughts into their characters that they were just DYING to go into Jan and Marcia's bedrooms and try on their clothes. I imagine that this really DID happen in some mysteriously unaired episodes :daydreaming: :heehee:

Huggles

Toni-Lynn

Lynn Marie
03-27-2010, 10:30 AM
Lynn Marie, Your description calls to mind the scene where Mrs. Robinson, (Ann Bancroft) seduces a young Dustin Hoffman. The power of hosiery !!

Madilyn, Oh yeah, wasn't she sitting at the bar in her rec. room with one leg up on another stool or something showing one of her great legs all the way to the garters? Whew, another hot flash.

docrobbysherry
03-27-2010, 10:48 AM
Lash Larue, Hoppalong Cassidy, the Lone Ranger.:brolleyes:

When I got a bit older, Howard Hughes, and Shawn Connery! Because they got to be with many of the beauties u girls mentioned above!:D

Barbara Jo
03-27-2010, 11:26 AM
I'm showing my age here but, I used to fantasize about being "Noreen Corcoran" from the old TV show "Bachelor Father"

BRANDYJ
03-27-2010, 11:31 AM
Has to be Anette Funichello (spelling) From the Mouseketeers. I used to cry when that show ended everyday after school with all of them singing. I always loved her in all the later beach movies.
Other then her, it would be Mary Tyler Moore.

brittdoll
03-27-2010, 12:53 PM
Bailey from WKRP in Cincinnati or Sandra Dee

Tina L.

Right show, but for me it was Jennifer Marlowe (Loni Anderson). Though Bailey was a great choice as well.

Sheren Kelly
03-28-2010, 09:25 AM
Ditto on Donna Reed! Anyone who can keep house while wearing a crinoline and pearls is a superwoman in my book ;)

But I have to confess, I felt a connection with Marylyn of "The Munsters" (Pat Priest). She was a beautiful woman in a world fullof odd-balls. Somewhat of the exact opposite of my experience. But we were both baffeled as to why we were different.

suzy1
03-28-2010, 09:53 AM
Sophia Loren

Amanda Stubbs
03-28-2010, 11:55 AM
Back in the 60's I use to dream of being pop singer Dusty Springfield I would fall to sleep at night wishing I would wake as her.