PDA

View Full Version : Apocalypse may be a mind set

flic
02-04-2010, 01:13 PM
I've confused myself lately, I have a habit of doing this. Often i wonder if i'll ever untie all the knots i manage i tie myself into. The last year or two has been a bit of a coming out frenzy, I felt it important for all concerned to tell all those close to me of my tg issues and all that was going on. Reactions were muted, not in an 'omg you're what?' sort of way, more of an 'oooohhh, that makes so much sense' puzzle solving sort of way. I think it explained a lot of why i am the way i am for people. Obviously this is all positive, yet from my reaction to all these good responses you'd think i'd have been ostracised from friendship groups. Tantrumy and whingy is never an attractive thing to be, and so i can only summise i must have been a fairly ugly person lately.

The problem was that i'd released years of anxiety and feeling as though i was hiding in plain view of all my friends, i'd built it up in my head to be such a huge deal that i guess I was expecting a little bit more upset, or a punch to the face, or a stamp on the foot, and lots and lots of shouting and crying and whirling arms and storming out of rooms. And there just wasn't any, barely any reaction at all. And i guess it just means my friends were half way there, i just gave them the final pieces they needed to work me out, but my inward feelings just failed to materialise in the outside world. The huge fireball's falling from the sky and dissolving in molten magma and volcanoes and catastrophe, and bright red skies with swirling clouds failed to show, my world didn't end, in fact barely anything changed. Nobody called me a freak, nobody hit me, nobody laughed or called anyone else to say 'you'll never guess what'. And the world carried on the same as it had always been.

And now i'm coming to terms with people knowing and still wanting to know, i can start to see light flooding into my apocalyptic mindset. I'd gotten myself hung up on this idea that I had been lying to my friends, and that I owed them the truth, which in some ways i did. I'd torture myself that i hadn't been up front and honest with the people i loved. But it occurred to me that maybe the reason there were no tantrums, and there were no rejections is because i had been. Turns out i'd been myself all along, all i'd done is piece the puzzle a little bit more, and i've hardly been happier than the moment i realised that.
x flic x

charlie
02-04-2010, 01:27 PM
Hello Flic!
I guess my take on this is that it is all part of being yourself. There is lots of talk about "male mode" and "female" mode here. I think with time most of us just become who we are no matter what we are wearing. That is when you become comfortable with what we do and who we are. Until we accept ourselves, we continue to hide, lie and have a secret.....and wonder how the rest of the world would think of us if they knew what we do.

Tamara Croft
02-04-2010, 01:27 PM
I guess you really have some great friends :bh: I bet it's all a huge relief now eh?

kimdl93
02-04-2010, 01:34 PM
I agree with Tamara, you've got some good friends...and I suspect you're right - by being yourself all along your friends probably picked up on subtleties that just fit together...made sense. Hence, not much of a reaction.

Honestly, tho, I think that each of us has lived in the shadow of our own fears about other's reactions - should they find out. The haters are usually people you don't know, and probably never want to know.

Kathi Lake
02-04-2010, 01:43 PM
Flic,

Remember, your friends love you, not some construct that you've made. They know you - always have. This "last piece of the puzzle" was simply another bit o' info. I'm sure that none of them feel that they have been "lied to" so stop beating yourself up about it.

:)

Kathi

kimdl93
02-04-2010, 01:48 PM
Flic,

...... none of them feel that they have been "lied to" so stop beating yourself up about it.

:)

Kathi

This is a really good point. You really have no obligation to announce anything about yourself to other people. Its great that you reached a point in your life where you felt the need and security to share something so personal.

flic
02-08-2010, 04:39 PM
Thanks for the comments,,,,i swear i will try my best to stop beating myself up for sure. And yes it was a huge relief for me,,i know how lucky i am, and i definitely feel it.
x flic x

Katesback
02-08-2010, 04:49 PM
Now that you got the tiger off your shoulder you go to the next phase. Often this is the Me, myself and I phase. We trans people often fall into this and we become soo excited and self absorbed and all that we forget when to stop talking and to listen to other people.

It is sooo common and if you can resist this phase you are doing really good!!

Katie

Nicole Erin
02-08-2010, 04:54 PM
yeah real friends or good family are not gonna treat you any different than before.
In fact most people will act the same. Friends still friends, enemies still enemies.

I imagine the collective experience of "out" TG would reflect this.

But yeah good thing you don't have to worry about it now. :hugs:

JiveTurkeyOnRye
02-08-2010, 06:03 PM
On this note, has anyone else gotten to the point where you almost just feel tired of having to come out to people?

For years I was certain that the news of my crossdressing would spread like wildfire when it finally came out and everyone would know. But instead it feels like I'm constantly having to out myself to people. I almost get frustrated at how much it isn't a big deal to anyone because I feel like, man I could have been open about it YEARS ago!

LynnInDenver
02-08-2010, 08:22 PM
I know I was in a similar boat a couple of years ago... but, like you, nothing has changed.

I've also gotten to the point that I don't really need to 'come out' to anyone else... I just show up and let them deal with it. :)