PDA

View Full Version : Comming out to friends and relatives.

Katesback
02-04-2010, 02:49 PM
I see a recurring topic here all to often. It involves the idea of comming out to friends are relatives about your little secret. As a matter of fact just the other day I was talking to a client who is a MD and psychytrist (or however it is spelled) and he/she is also trans (trans defined includes CD all the way to TS).

She was sitting with me in one of the all too common Katie therapy sessions. It turnes out she is considering telling her family about her trans aspect. I continued to let her talk but occasionall asked some questions.

One question was "do you intend to present to them as a woman"? The answer to that was "I don't know". I then asked her why she felt compelled to tell these people about her trans aspects if she did not even know if she was going to be presenting to them as a female.

She explained that it would be a huge weight lifted off her shoulders, ect. ect.

What she had not even remotely considered was the difference between explaining to friends and family that she is trans and ACTUALLY presenting to them as a woman. She seemed to think that by explaining to them there would be either acceptance or rejection.

I had to explain to her that simply telling someone without the visual aspect is not the same as the first time they will see the woman. A lot of people will not get the scope of what you are telling them if they are lacking the female presentation to go along with it. Pictures tell 1000 words! Also people are less likely to take you seriously if all they hear is words.

She sat there for a while and some of it began to sink in.

I often ask people why they feel compelled to tell friends and family about thier trans aspect if they have no idea if these people will ever see them as a girl. Last time I checked we all live with some secrets, and many of them will never be divulged to anyone.

As much as you might not agree with me, if you are not preparred to present a woman to other people I submit to you that there is little reason to discuss the issue except within the circles of other trans people.

Once you mention what you are, those words can never be retracted!

kimdl93
02-04-2010, 03:02 PM
I think you make a good point. I think it all depends on the situation. I've had to address my cross dressing with a few people who will never see it - the result of an angry ex outing me. But I never intend to be fully dressed around those indiviudals. On the other hand, I definately wanted my SO to know and to see me dressed, and hopefully to accept me as I am.

Joanne f
02-04-2010, 03:26 PM
You can also get into a situation with relatives where they will say "OK i accept what you do " but then you suddenly find that they no longer come around to your house and they always seam to be going somewhere if you say that you will be calling in and if there is some real necessity for them to call on you you will get a phone call first as if to say "look i am coming around so be dressed normal please.
As you say there is a big difference between them knowing what you do and them seeing what you do and most of the time they just don`t want to so i would agree with you unless you intend to dress that way in front of them don`t bother to tell them as they may say one thing but do another.
It`s funny that once they know they always assume that you are running around with a dress on whenever you are home.

JackieInPA
02-04-2010, 03:30 PM
For me i was placed in a position where it was possible that I would be subjected to an unwilling public outting (court case not directly involving me, but where my TGness could be an issue). This got me sooo scared and upset that eventually I had a depressive breakdown over the fear i would lose my friends and family. The only way i found to get over it was to get it over with and do it on my own and in my way. This was the reason i felt compelled to tell everyone. i am much happier now cause I dress how I want around my house as I wish. I told everyone if they dont wanna be exposed fine call me before you show up...if you just show up and i am in all my female glory...i'm not changing lol.

sherri52
02-04-2010, 03:34 PM
Student becomes the teacher. Did she pay you a fair amount when you left her office:heehee:

Katesback
02-04-2010, 03:39 PM
No I get paid to help trans people so I didnt directly charge her. Ummm it is funny how often people try to get me into therapy sessions. Most of the time I just direct them to REAL therapists but needless to say this girl was special sooo I wanted to take a crack at her. The real therapists have told me I do a good job without any formal training. LOL

In any case it was an interesting conversation.

Katie

AliceJaneInNewcastle
02-04-2010, 07:32 PM
I've found that coming out to people using facebook can work well. Even though they mostly don't talk about it, several of my wife's relatives are friends of my female profile and have seen my photos. I haven't pushed the issue and shown them in person yet, but it will probably happen sooner or later.

msniki48
02-04-2010, 08:45 PM
[QUOTE=Katesback;2030981]
One question was "do you intend to present to them as a woman"? The answer to that was "I don't know". I then asked her why she felt compelled to tell these people about her trans aspects if she did not even know if she was going to be presenting to them as a female.

She explained that it would be a huge weight lifted off her shoulders, ect. ect.

I had to explain to her that simply telling someone without the visual aspect is not the same as the first time they will see the woman. A lot of people will not get the scope of what you are telling them if they are lacking the female presentation to go along with it. Pictures tell 1000 words! Also people are less likely to take you seriously if all they hear is words.

She sat there for a while and some of it began to sink in.
QUOTE]

Kate, you hit many good points...as i have told my brother sister and mother...all accept, one supports, one is in denial, one is embarrased but they all still love me. [ ok as long as they dont see]

my sister has seen me and will come for dinner or what ever...many of my friends that know have seen my pics on my site..but i don't present as female to most of them....so i can see your point. i wonder what they would say if i did...would the support still be there????

i also see your therapists point of view...once my therapist told me i shouldn't be ashamed.. it was a big weight lifted knowing my friends and some of my family at least knew there was something deeper going on in me. even if they dod not totally understand the scope of what was happening

it is truly a tight rope we walk

i love reading your perspective on these threads