PDA

View Full Version : My Spa Day

jennyscott
02-04-2010, 10:00 PM
Yesterday on a whim I called and made an appointment at a day spa in a neighboring town. It's something I fantasized over for a while and decided today was hopefully going to be my day.

My selection of day spas actually goes back several months when I emailed several to learn of their policies for someone like myself exploring their inner beauty. I chose the one that had sent me a nice personal reply. It also helped that her name was Jen :).

Excited only half explains it. After running a few errands semi-dressed (no wig, makeup) and three failed attempts on finding season close-out sales on black shoes to wear for the occaison it was time to go. My iPhone mapped out a route that got me there in eight minutes. I love that little gadjet!

Arriving twenty minutes early I decided to go in and enjoy the moment. The male receptionist (oh crap) greeted me as Jen and asked if I could fill out their new client form. This was the first time I had written Jen's name to anything. Once I returned the form he mentioned that Pat would be providing my one hour massage therapy and Sharon whould be performing my pedicure. The first thing I thought of was Pat of SNL. Considering my situation and low self-confidence I was not thrilled on having a Mr. Pat give my massage but MR PAT it was. He was pleasant, all buisness, but made me comfortable for the hour I was on his table. He found more than a few knots in my back!!

After my shower I was in the hands of a lovely lady named Sharon. By this time I was completely dressed again and relishing the moment. She spent 1:45 with me. Wow. She even threw in a parafin wax treatment on the house. She did most of the talking but I enjoyed listening. Toward the last half of the pedicure I mentioned how warmly I was being treated by her and Pat and asked if the girls upstairs (all much younger) were the same. She assured me they were. I expressed my desire for a makeover when the time was right. She said she would handle the details and almost insisted that she do my mani and pedi.

Now I'm thinking about which outfit I will wear for my next visit, finding the perfect wig, finding the money (like every one else) and the time where I could remain dressed for several days. Ohh the troubles we have.

I'm grateful for everyone who has posted over the last few years. Until just recently I was just an internet lurker trying to figure out what's going on within me. Thank you ladies. I just wanted to share a part of a day that you all had part in developing my confidence to experience.

Luv,
Jen

JustWendy
02-04-2010, 10:05 PM
Wow, talk about a success story. Congratulations on your very wonderful, very special spa day.

Wendy

Persephone
02-04-2010, 11:08 PM
Wow! It sure does sound like you had a great day, Jenny! It is lovely to hear that they made you feel so welcome. Continue to go there as you see fit, and remember to be generous with tips when they are deserved!

Enjoy!

Rachel Morley
02-05-2010, 12:55 AM
I'm so happy for you! :) Sounds like you've come along way in the last few years and here you are making appointments and going for a spa day all by yourself! (gosh, I haven't had the courage to do that -yet) ... Jenny, you're awesome! :hugs:

jennyscott
02-05-2010, 06:33 AM
I'm so happy for you! :) Sounds like you've come along way in the last few years and here you are making appointments and going for a spa day all by yourself! (gosh, I haven't had the courage to do that -yet) ...

To be sure it was a big jump for me. I think the most enduring part of the experience was being addressed as Jen and the respect they gave me. Sharon spent 25+ years in L.A. (not Lower Alabama) in her profession and was truly excited to see a little color (little old me) back on the East Coast.

Speaking of color, she was excited as I that I chose pink for my toenail polish. As you might expect, she gave it a little flare with a sparkling top coat. :) :) :).

Jen