PDA

View Full Version : A change in airport security ahead? / There goes the neighborhood

sherri
02-05-2010, 10:14 AM
I'm sure we've all heard that terrorist orgs are making increasing use of GGs for suicide bombings. I was sickened to learn recently that their latest tactic may be to implant explosives in the breasts of their misguided GG agents in order to get by security screenings.

I don't mean to make light of such an awful thing, too horrible for words really. It just breaks my heart to think that people can be so awful and abused. Our concerns about traveling en femme pale to insignificance in comparison, but still, I'm wondering if wearing breastforms onto a plane may become a problem because of this new threat, and if perhaps we have an ethical or practical obligation to forego the practice indefinitely so as to not cause concern or disturbance unnecessarily.

meri
02-05-2010, 11:44 AM
Sherri,
You are correct, they will be a problem. When this change comes in, we will be required to remove our breast forms along with our shoes and place them on the belt to be screened.

It's really not much of a problem, however, just wear a nursing bra and you can buckle them right back in!

;)

Cristi
02-05-2010, 12:00 PM
I have nothing to add to this except to say that I've often wondered about it.

If the TSA really was on its toes, why WOULD they allow a GG (or crossdresser) to fly with as many as a few hundreds ounces of some unidentified liquid? I've been waiting for somebody to exploit this 'loop hole'.

Joni Marie Cruz
02-05-2010, 12:00 PM
Approximately a million and a half women (1.5 million) have had breast implants in the US in the past 30 years. This does not include women who may have had breast implants in foreign countries. If airport security intends to subject women with breast implants to heightened scrutiny it would be a logistical nightmare and would cause severe delays everywhere. Personally speaking, considering the relatively small number of transgendered m2f travelers, I doubt that travelling enfemme would have any serious impact.

I do agree with you that anyone, male or female, who is so misguided by whatever political or religious motive, that they would murder innocent people in order to advance their cause needs to be dealt with. Sadly, though, there is no way to guarantee 100% security anywhere.

Speaking for myself, I would not let it stop me from travelling as my girlself if I chose to do so.

Hugs...Joni Mari

jennyscott
02-05-2010, 12:08 PM
:Angry3:I have dealings with the TSA on a daily basis because of my job. I can't imagine them handling anything discreetly. If I were to travel with my "other" wardrobe I would have to check the bags. Otherwise I just KNOW my bag would be singled out for explosive residue examinations.

Confident as Jen? Yes, but not in the airport environment!

--Jen

Persephone
02-05-2010, 12:15 PM
Speaking for myself, I would not let it stop me from travelling as my girlself if I chose to do so.

Hugs...Joni Mari
:iagree::yt:

Kate Simmons
02-05-2010, 12:20 PM
I suppose what it really comes down to is just how much of a necessity is crossdressing and the related paraphernalia to some people? If they are willing to be searched and exposed I guess it's not much of an issue then.:)

MizLutz
02-05-2010, 12:23 PM
I'm glad I don't have to fly! I love airplanes but nothing much bigger than a bi-wing and haven't been on a jet powered bus since 76!

Joni Marie Cruz
02-05-2010, 12:31 PM
Personally, I believe it has more to do with freedom of expression and the liberty to be ourselves. Nothing about being TG is illegal, immoral, wrong or bad. Our rights are slowly being eroded by the climate of fear we currently are living in, the sad fact of the matter is that no matter how intensive and intrusive security measures become there is no guarantee of safety.

As far "searched and exposed", I just hope who ever does the cavity search is cute and I at least get a free drink out of it.

Hugs...Joni Mari

I suppose what it really comes down to is just how much of a necessity is crossdressing and the related paraphernalia to some people? If they are willing to be searched and exposed I guess it's not much of an issue then.:)

jandebs
02-05-2010, 01:07 PM
Sherri, I agree it's just dreadful. Have to say, It never occurred to me that I might have any less or more revulsion towards female suicide bombers than the male talibs but was moved by this news item this morning on the BBC world service:

'Bombs and Beatings' life amongst the Taliban (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/8499578.stm)

As for airport scanners and the transgendered, I just got my female passport a few months ago and after one delightful trip to France this new level of security has kicked in. Like so many other posters here on the air travel subject, my treatment by staff was entirely sympathetic and courteous, and I don't see this changing much. Their security concerns are elsewhere. I guess it might be different for transgendered folk with Asian ethnicity.

kimdl93
02-05-2010, 01:13 PM
a friend of mine has a titanium hip - and carries a card that he provides when he goes through the scanner. I suppose they could do the same thing for implants. Maybe they could create a similar registry for both breast forms - to include women who've had mastectomies and TGs.

Brandi Wyne
02-05-2010, 01:15 PM
Sheri,

That ain't the half of it. What about those cancer survivors that wear breast forms?

Did you see the post recently where a CD/TG was at airport security and put into a scanning area that could tell the gender of the person and then subjected to intense searching and scrutiny?

Until they quit playing "politically correct' games and start profiling the small percentage of travelers who are the most likely to cause acts of terrorism, then the rest is just a ruse to restrict people and their freedoms, supposedly guaranteed by the founding fathers.:2c:

Loni
02-05-2010, 03:26 PM
best bet is do not fly, just drive.:doh:

takes a bit longer...sometimes not. and you can see america at see level.:heehee:

christinek
02-05-2010, 04:41 PM
a friend of mine has a titanium hip - and carries a card that he provides when he goes through the scanner. I suppose they could do the same thing for implants. Maybe they could create a similar registry for both breast forms - to include women who've had mastectomies and TGs.

That card is worthless, people would show it to us all the time. Come this way for additional screening.

I agree with Brandi, how degrading to pull out your prosthetic in the airport, it would be humiliating to pull that out and flop it into a bin.

Cristi
02-05-2010, 05:58 PM
If airport security intends to subject women with breast implants to heightened scrutiny it would be a logistical nightmare and would cause severe delays everywhere.

I don't think the issue raised would be about internal implants, more with enhancers, forms and things like 'water bras' (remember those?)

Basically, if you think about it a GG can put any liquid in a bag, stick it in her bra and have it, up until now, be basically 'off limits' to search... while having to delcare anything more than a few ounces of shampoo.

catriona36
02-05-2010, 06:28 PM
let me get this straight. There is talk of using GG's implanted with and explosive so they will only intend on checking ppl with breast forms? that alone does not make much sense.

if GG's are being used would it not make sense to x-ray all gg's
as well as forms? i know it would be logistical nightmare to do so.
but if they used that as an excuse here atleast there could be discrimination problems if they only checked forms.

ok i dont think this is comming out right sorry.
If they use the excuse that GG's have been implanted with explosive, therefore all breast forms have to be examined that is a crock, especialy if they leave gg's alone..
i mean if that is a genuine practice (implanting gg's) then everyone should be checked not just cd's with forms:|

Joni Marie Cruz
02-05-2010, 06:36 PM
Actually, if you do a search for "terrorist breast implant explosives" you''ll find several articles claiming that surgeons in the employ of terrorists are supposedly implanting explosives into women's breasts as well as abdominal areas on men. How accurate these reports are are anybody's guess. So this would not only include inserts, forms and enhancers but also women who have had actual breast implants. As far as I can tell there have been no incidents to date of explosives being found or of any explosions onboard an aircraft using this method of deployment.

Hugs...Joni Mari

christinek
02-05-2010, 06:46 PM
I cant tell you to much as to protect my clearance

However the internal explosive would be a tough sell. I needs oxygen to detonate, or a catalyst/chemical reaction to detonate. Both of those would not be easily achieved inside the human body, not to say it cant be done but it would be difficult. Especially considering the toxic shock effect anything like this would have inside the body. You cant sterilize explosive as it would explode during the process or rendered non effective. Most likely the person would be trying to travel ill or running a high fever. The suture or staples would be a problem too.

Virus is still the number one thing we are scared of!

jenna_woods
02-05-2010, 07:24 PM
thayt really is going to be a problem for us

jo_ann
02-05-2010, 08:52 PM
I assumed something was going on when I saw this parody today:
http://gizmodo.com/5464262/the-tsas-new-genital-visualizer-will-probably-upset-travelers

RachelPortugal
02-06-2010, 03:06 AM
I have not flown underdressed (including breastforms) since they brought in restrictions on liquids in carry-on luggage.

With the security staff defining things like peanut butter and thick set yoghurt etc as liquids and confiscating such items, would you now want to risk losing an expensive set of breast forms because some ill-informed job'sworth considered that they are liquid?

Not that I plan to fly any time soon, if I do then Rachael's wardrobe will travel in the hold, apart from the knickers and hold-up stockings that I will be wearing

sherri
02-06-2010, 09:51 AM
Surely we could ask to be taken aside for a private search rather than right there in the security line? Or maybe it might be best to leave the forms in a purse or carry-on bag so we don't have to take them out in front of everyone? Then we could put them back on after we went through security.

Nicole Erin
02-06-2010, 10:35 AM
If you fly en femme, you are pretty much wearing clothes.
Couldn't one forego the breast forms and hip pads? I mean being cramped up in a plane cab is uncomfy enough as it is.

Maybe just gyod I don't know, do people love their forms THAT much?

and for planting explosives in breasts, that is just wrong. I dont know if it happens though... wouldn't a terrorist have specific targets instead of just randomly wanting to take down planes?

AKAMichelle
02-12-2010, 11:06 AM
I saw a news report on msnbc.com website that terrorist are trying to use breast implants as bombs. Now when flying someday in the future, I guess we just have to plop our breast forms on the scanner as well before we board a plane.

So if you had to do something extra to prove the breast forms weren't a bomb would you still go through a screening station?

At this point in my life I think I would still if the breast forms had to be checked for explosives. I also think that I would fly on a plane.

Reason: Most people know that we are crossdressers. So what difference is going to make if TSA makes us stand out as a sore thumb. Many of us already do, but that isn't going to stop me from being me! <PERIOD>

Karren H
02-12-2010, 11:21 AM
Wow... Guess Hooters could someday be considered an al-qaeda safe house??

sherri52
02-12-2010, 11:24 AM
I have yet to fly enfemme, but once I start I would keep going even if I had to strip for all to see.

Gillian
02-12-2010, 11:24 AM
It is just a ridiculous world we live in isn't it. I was in London on the day of 9/11 and again on the 21/7 London bomb's

I have had my daily commute from Scotland to the capital go from leaving home 1 hour befofre I fly drive the few mins to the airport, check-in at a desk and board a plane, to now.
I check in online drive the saem distance then queue for an hour and a half to pass security to then board a plane to in total my day is about 1 1/2 hours longer each way.

I think that things will only get worse and this news is another example of the creed. I am in favour of profiling as I have nothing to hide I find the hostility of some of the religious sects so sad, let the one doing the teaching lead by example and blow himself up first!:devil:

I am so glad I do not taske four or six flights a week anymore it was all so tiresome.

As for travelling en femme, this is another way to be humiliated needlessly but one we must collectively face until this war is ended.

Kate Simmons
02-12-2010, 11:50 AM
They overlook the obvious opportunities fillings in teeth have to house C4 or Plastique.If someone really wants to blow themself and others up they will find a way to do it. You have to travel at your own risk in this world regardless of which mode you use.:straightface:

Gillian
02-12-2010, 11:53 AM
They overlook the obvious opportunities fillings in teeth have to house C4 or Plastique.If someone really wants to blow themself and others up they will find a way to do it. You have to travel at your own risk in this world regardless of which mode you use.:straightface:

This has got me thinking,,,,,never a good thing at the best of times but, if you recall the reaction when you put a Mentos sweet into a bottle of Coke, all they have to do is eat a carton of Mentos and then down a 40oz bottle of coke!

AKAMichelle
02-13-2010, 12:37 AM
Let's hope the terrorist don't find out about crossdressing or we will be in really big trouble. The padded hip pads and breast forms. At that we might get a cavity search each time. If they get that far, then maybe they could include a free colonscopy in the search process. :devil:

jenny01
02-13-2010, 02:13 AM
I have not had much of an experience being out of my house dressed. But this coming Monday I will be flying and it WILL be my first time going through security wearing an underwire bra. I usually change after security screening, so this will be a new challenge for me. Baby steps.

Deidra Cowen
02-13-2010, 09:46 AM
I guess the best move might be to stick the breast forms in your luggage and just fill your bra with tissue paper or rice bags.

sherri
02-13-2010, 10:04 AM
I guess the best move might be to stick the breast forms in your luggage and just fill your bra with tissue paper or rice bags.That's what I'm thinking, if TSA starts focusing on this part of the anatomy. Honestly, in light of this new terrorist tactic, I wouldn't blame TSA in the slightest for considering forms to be suspect. I mean, those two handfuls of firm silicone would get my attention. So I'm thinking, just put them in my carry-on bag, let them scan them and/or inspect them, then put them back on later. I guess that might still get me flagged, but it's better than having to whip them out right there in front of everyone.

serinalynn
02-13-2010, 10:46 AM
Is there any evidence that those new body scanners can detect breast forms.

I suppose that if any woman, crossdresser/transgender person feels embarresed you could always ask to be privately scanned in a room off to the side of the main screening area.

suchacutie
02-13-2010, 11:10 AM
I understand the concern about breastforms (obviously :) ) but the real issue here are bags of liquid implanted in the breast. It doesn't take too much imagination to see that this is simply a source of two liquids that could easily be removed in a lavatory, then mixed...

I'm an analytical chemist so I understand that there would be ways to scan the implants (not X-ray scanning in all liklihood) for the density/refractive index of implants, but can you imagine the situation of having to scan everyone's breasts? (and I do mean everyone!)

What a nightmare!

tina

Genifer Teal
02-13-2010, 11:56 AM
So this would not only include inserts, forms and enhancers but also women who have had actual breast implants.

This was used by drug smugglers on Nip Tuck. It is probably based on real cases. In a bombing situation, health concerns are of little issue. The person only has to survive long enough to detonate the bomb. Any screening will just be another band aid fix on the problem. Something to artificially raise the public's confidence that the situation is being dealt with.

You can only make it harder to hide a bomb - not impossible. I doubt you can make it hard enough to hide. The situation can only be fixed by people not wanting to blow up planes any more. The ever elusive search for wold peace.

Gen

Lora Olivia
02-13-2010, 12:32 PM
Pretty sure that on a trip last year my checked bag was searched because of my forms. For the ones of us that fly enfemme I wonder if it wouldn't just be easier to present a card that says, "I AM TRANSGENDER AND WEARING BREAST FORMS PLEASE BE PROFESSIONAL AND DISCREET" Now I know this isn't perfect as nothing is but do believe that it would be an alternative to more embarrassment. I know the cards that metal medical implant are basically useless...that person is getting pulled and wanded anyway.

Nicole Bishop
02-13-2010, 12:49 PM
This wont be pretty they love their power but what would you expect from ex Burger King employees

Stephanie-L
02-13-2010, 01:05 PM
Checking the TSA website, the page on passengers with medical disabilities lists items that are exempt from the normal restrictions, including things like prosthesis. The pertinant entry reads

"Items used to augment the body for medical or cosmetic reasons such as mastectomy products, prosthetic breasts, bras or shells containing gels, saline solution, or other liquids"

Thus, both types of breast prosthesis, internal and external, are allowed to be worn through the security checkpoint. The website is
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/specialneeds/index.shtm

Since the only times I have flown over the last 10 years or so are with my wife (very disapproving of my TGness) or for military reasons, I have not been able to fly pretty. I hope to change that eventually. I have been following the activities of a few frequent fliers who travel en femme, on another forum, and nobody has reported a problem with security. I wish everybody luck and hope to hear more.......Stephanie

siantv2003
02-13-2010, 06:01 PM
Wow... Guess Hooters could someday be considered an al-qaeda safe house??

:laughing: - half of Vegas servers are about to be subject to intense screening whenever they take a break. TSA are just going to love that

Fab Karen
02-13-2010, 06:17 PM
I wonder where you "learned" this, I keep up on political news & haven't heard of it.

SarahCDHosiery
02-13-2010, 10:19 PM
Seeing what the TSA was doing and how they were doing it, I stopped carrying my alternative wardrobe with me altogether until I learned to fly and began carrying my alternative bag in my own plane. TSA does not (at least so far) search small general aviation aircraft. For that matter, I generally land at smaller, less busy airports as it is challenging to mix it up with 737s, 757/767s, A330s, etc in a bird that has to fly an approach at half the speed of the big boys.

For all that, though, I find that I can usually get where I want to go in about the same time (or even less time) that it would take to fly on a commercial airliner once one considers travel to and from big airports, delays in checking in and clearing security, time spent laying over to catch the next flight, etc.

I've compared flights as far away as the further coast from me (in the USA) to flights booked with Travelocity (e.g.) and found that the speed advantages of larger airplanes lose significance in light of the other B.S. that we have to tolerate for the nominal privilege of freedom to travel whither we list.

True, it's not perfect. Sometimes you might spend some time on the ground waiting for weather to clear or even decide not to launch for the same reasons. It's just that general aviation is an alternative little considered, but frankly quite available to the masses.

Airplanes are not nearly as expensive as one might think. A very usable aircraft can be found readily for the price of a high-end SUV and financing is available for up to 20 years at reasonable rates.

Check out http://www.aopa.org for more information!