PDA

View Full Version : Tossing those balls!

SuzanneBender
02-06-2010, 06:06 PM
How’s that for an attention getter? The storm has subsided here in DC. Infact as I am typing this the sky is clearing and I can see blue.

Like most of the thousands of other people in DC I went stir crazy stuck in the hotel room. This was exasperated by the fact that the satellite went out and I didn't have TV. So what is a girl to do? I went out into the blizzard or Nor'Easter as I was told they call it here on the coast and measured the snow with our hotel's doorman. It was 27" in a spot that wasn't drifting. He also took a couple of pictures of me standing up to my thighs in the snow. That was fun for about five minutes.

I sat in the lobby reading Jennifer Finney Boylan's She's Not There. Watching some of the reactions to the Trans in the lobby as people walked by was interesting, but I finished my book so that put a quick stop to that fun.

So I decided to brave the weather and walk to the nearest underground Metro station and take the Metro into the beltway. A brisk walk through the snow in the few car tracks that existed and I boarded at Pentagon Station. It was cool walking down the middle of the street when the world is hidden away. I felt like Will Smith in I Am Legend without the Zombies. It was a once in a lifetime experience.

The Metro was virtually empty and I decided to debark at DuPont Circle (Its the more friendly part of town). When I came out of my hole I was wondering if this is how Puxatony Phil feels. I was met with the same scene I had escaped underground from at Pentagon City. Two feet of snow, a light blowing snow and a winters chill, but there was something more. The downtown was alive with people and they were having a huge snowball fight! I am not talking 10 or 20 kids tossing snowballs I am talking hundreds if not thousands of people throwing snowballs at each other. Everyone was laughing and having a grand time, well except for the teenage kid I accidentally hit in the face.

I joined a team of people on one side of the circle that had developed and adversarial relationship with another tribe of people about half way across the street. My team seemed to be happy to have the tall woman in the cute sage green jacket and the great throwing arm join their team. I am not sure if we made it on TV but two local cameras were there and the Weather Channel also had a camera covering the festivities. After about 20 minutes of throwing snow balls and laughing so hard I thought I was going to tinkle I realized I was wet and my feet were freezing. I bid my snowball tribesmen ado and headed back for the Metro.

I boarded an empty train car and rode back to Pentagon Station. I realized that I have ridden the Metro hundreds of times and have never been in an empty car. The walk through Arlington back to the hotel was enjoyable. Folks were starting to emerge from their winter hibernation. No cars were moving but shovels were in motion and everyone was out exploring the winter wonderland. As I made it back to the hotel I threw myself down in the snow and made a snow angel just off to the side of the front door. It was my first Snow Angle DC! I have always loved snow angles. I used to cover our yard with them when I was a kid. I always loved the fact that you couldn’t tell if they were a boy or a girl. They just were.

The doorman was laughing as I walked in covered in snow and red faced from the cold. I just looked at him and said, "Sometimes its fun to be a little girl again". I boarded the elevator with an older lady and her husband. They just stared at the numbers hoping there floor would show up soon. When the floor lottery made their number appear they scurried off the elevator. I wonder if it’s healthy for people of that age to scurry? They seemed to have it down. I wished them a wonderful evening because I am a nice person and its fun to torment folks that are uncomfortable yet harmless. I received a grunt from the man and a confused, “You too” from the lady.

I have pictures but I realized I forgot to bring my USB cable. I will make it to Best Buy tomorrow and pick one up so I can upload them. I hear the VA DOT has over 1800 trucks working on the roads in the area just so I can make it there tomorrow.

Hugs to all and warm wishes from the Winter Wonderland of the Northeast!

Miranda09
02-06-2010, 06:12 PM
Now THAT sounded like a wonderful time Suzanne. Can't wait to see your pics. Bet you looked gorgeous. :)

SuzanneBender
02-06-2010, 06:32 PM
Just any other gal on the street frumped out in order to stay warm. It was awesome!

StaceyJane
02-06-2010, 06:33 PM
What a wonderful day!! :)

kaitlin
02-06-2010, 06:46 PM
Girl, I hate snow and cold but that sounds like it was a lot of fun!:cool:

Faith_G
02-06-2010, 07:21 PM
I'm glad somebody had some fun in the snow today. :happy: I spent 6 hours behind a shovel.

Jilmac
02-06-2010, 07:48 PM
I'm glad to see that DC got all that snow, we got nailed with so much last year that it took until July 4th to melt, (well almost). :tongueout

Staci G
02-06-2010, 07:58 PM
Suzanne I know you didn't play dirty did you? Also the next time I actually have anything to start a thread with I am coming to you to get the title,

sherri52
02-06-2010, 09:10 PM
That's a great day, a little cold and wet but a fun time in a hopeless situation.

SuzanneBender
02-06-2010, 09:19 PM
I'm glad somebody had some fun in the snow today. :happy: I spent 6 hours behind a shovel.
You should have called me dear I would have been happy to help with shoveling duties. Ohhhh darn I couldn't drive today. Safety first you know.

Actually if I were close I would have helped. Its the least I could do and also a great work out.

That's a great day, a little cold and wet but a fun time in a hopeless situation.

Nothing hopeless here! I think the world would be a better place if we shut everything down and had days like today every now and then. We move way too fast and deliberate for my liking anymore.

Suzanne I know you didn't play dirty did you? Also the next time I actually have anything to start a thread with I am coming to you to get the title, Everything except that teenage kid I hit in the face. The little smart ass made a comment about the guy in drag. He should have asked if I had pitched in college! LMAO. Ok...its vendictive but fun, none the less.

The titles are easy. Type the the story and then let you mind get nauuughty. All you have to do is find something in there that your mom would have freaked out over and then thats the title.

Kathi Lake
02-06-2010, 09:27 PM
Well, I was gratified to hear the description of so many people having fun with their (snow)balls. :)

Sounds like a fun time, Suze! Way to go!

:)

Kathi

Joanie_Shakti
02-06-2010, 10:07 PM
Suzanne I know you didn't play dirty did you? Also the next time I actually have anything to start a thread with I am coming to you to get the title,

LOL, when I saw the title, I thought someone was getting "snipped." :devil:

cdinmd206
02-06-2010, 11:19 PM
It is always amazing how bad weather can sometimes bring the best out in people. Normally most people in DC wouldn't give you the time of day, but yet when a big snow storm comes through they all pitch in to help one another and have fun doing it.
Wish I could have joined in your adventures Suzanne. Sounds like to took a potentailly boring day and turned it into a memorable one.

AllieSF
02-06-2010, 11:33 PM
What a wonderful story Suzanne. I love making snow angels too, as well as smelling the flowers when it is my kind of weather. I hope you liked the book. I loved it. A good complimentary read is Trans Sister Radio. a fictional work along the same lines and also very well done. Make sure you post those pics now. I am curious as hell to see you in the snow. Thanks for sharing a great and I bet very special day for you.

Frédérique
02-07-2010, 08:09 AM
I used to cover our yard with them when I was a kid. I always loved the fact that you couldn’t tell if they were a boy or a girl. They just were.
The doorman was laughing as I walked in covered in snow and red faced from the cold. I just looked at him and said, "Sometimes its fun to be a little girl again".

A beautiful story! That reminds me – years ago I was at my friends house during the winter, having a cup of coffee near the kitchen window, looking at the snow-covered bird feeder outside. I asked my friend where her youngest daughter was, but she didn’t seem to know. Suddenly, the young girl rolled by the window, making a continuous snow angel as she orbited the house, scaring away any birds. She was laughing and happy, rolling along until she banged into a rhododendron bush, knocking all the snow off the branches and onto her smiling face. I just know I’m going to remember this vision when I’m old and infirm – a memory of youthful exuberance, played out by a little girl… :)

I hear the VA DOT has over 1800 trucks working on the roads in the area just so I can make it there tomorrow.

KS DOT only digs out the main roads here – I rarely see them at all. Lindsborg makes the routes to the schools, churches and medical facilities somewhat passable, using the one plow or one sand truck they have available. Living on a side street, we get little or no attention. Usually the snow is piled in the middle of the street and allowed to melt, as long as the sun chooses to reappear…:eek:

Joanie_Shakti
02-07-2010, 10:23 AM
I just saw the snowball fight reported on the Phoenix morning news, complete with video! They said it was one of several and that they were organized through Facebook.

Deidra Cowen
02-07-2010, 10:29 AM
Thats really great you are out there having fun. I saw that snowball fight on the news this morning! Looked like a hoot.

Tamara Croft
02-07-2010, 10:32 AM
You really got me with this title lol... you girls are just so bad!!! But... I think I have you beat this time :raspp:

KarenHiller
02-07-2010, 10:40 AM
I saw the snowball fight on the network news, but I don't think I saw you. Everyone was having fun. Wish I'd known to look for you. What were you wearing?

Karen

msginaadoll
02-07-2010, 10:41 AM
What a great story! Isnt it funny how weather can bring out the best in people. I remember a recent electrical blackout here this summer. People actually came out of there homes and talked and barbecued, sat on there porch and told tall tales and drank warm beer. I can just picture everything you wrote, its so vivid. Well am def looking forward to your pictures too.

SuzanneBender
02-07-2010, 02:45 PM
Well, I was gratified to hear the description of so many people having fun with their (snow)balls. :) I have never seen so many people playing with their balls. Tossing them at one another. Heck I even saw people grabbing and stealing other people's balls.

A good complimentary read is Trans Sister Radio. a fictional work along the same lines and also very well done. /quote] I ordered it online today. It will be waiting for me when I get home. Thanks

[quote=Frédérique;2034560]A beautiful story! That reminds me – years ago I was at my friends house...a memory of youthful exuberance, played out by a little girl… :) No Freddy that is a beautiful story. We could only hope to have that scene playing through our heads when we are old and drooling on ourselves. Thanks for sharing.

I just saw the snowball fight reported on the Phoenix morning news, complete with video!
If you saw a tall girl in blue jeans, short hair and a green waist coat with fur collar it was me!

Thats really great you are out there having fun. I saw that snowball fight on the news this morning! Looked like a hoot.Did you see me?

You really got me with this title lol... you girls are just so bad!!! But... I think I have you beat this time :raspp: I bow to your prowess when it comes to salacious head lines.

I saw the snowball fight on the network news, but I don't think I saw you. Everyone was having fun. Wish I'd known to look for you. What were you wearing? Its above. Ohhh it would be so cool if I made the National News en femme.

I wasn't able to make it to Best Buy today. The roads are really cruddy. I made it down to the McDonalds about a block down the road ordered a Quarter Pounder and chickend out an came home. However I do have a pic or two from my Iphone I can load up. The others will be on there way as soon as I get to the store.

Sara Jessica
02-07-2010, 02:54 PM
What a fun outing thread Suzanne. And without any mention of makeup or high heels...must be a record around here!!!

Rianna Humble
02-07-2010, 03:12 PM
The downtown was alive with people and they were having a huge snowball fight! I am not talking 10 or 20 kids tossing snowballs I am talking hundreds if not thousands of people throwing snowballs at each other. Everyone was laughing and having a grand time, well except for the teenage kid I accidentally hit in the face.

I joined a team of people on one side of the circle that had developed and adversarial relationship with another tribe of people about half way across the street. My team seemed to be happy to have the tall woman in the cute sage green jacket and the great throwing arm join their team. I am not sure if we made it on TV but two local cameras were there and the Weather Channel also had a camera covering the festivities. After about 20 minutes of throwing snow balls and laughing so hard I thought I was going to tinkle I realized I was wet and my feet were freezing. I bid my snowball tribesmen ado and headed back for the Metro.

Sounds like you had a lot of fun :)

As I made it back to the hotel I threw myself down in the snow and made a snow angel just off to the side of the front door. It was my first Snow Angel DC! I have always loved snow angels. I used to cover our yard with them when I was a kid. I always loved the fact that you couldn’t tell if they were a boy or a girl. They just were.

The doorman was laughing as I walked in covered in snow and red faced from the cold. I just looked at him and said, "Sometimes its fun to be a little girl again".

Many a true word is spoken in jest

I boarded the elevator with an older lady and her husband. They just stared at the numbers hoping there floor would show up soon. When the floor lottery made their number appear they scurried off the elevator. I wonder if it’s healthy for people of that age to scurry? They seemed to have it down. I wished them a wonderful evening because I am a nice person and its fun to torment folks that are uncomfortable yet harmless. I received a grunt from the man and a confused, “You too” from the lady.

You are evil, but right :eek: They deserved the embarrassment for being so stand-offish.

Sounds like you had a great time, good on you

Teri Jean
02-07-2010, 04:09 PM
Suzanne, funny and yet exciting. Nice time and it takes the girl from the midwest to enjoy the magnatude of the storm. Nice pics also.

Teri

2B Natasha
02-07-2010, 05:06 PM
Hey all

Here is a link to the BBC and there short video of " The North vs South snowball battle royale " Looked like a whole lot of fun.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_depth/8502648.stm

Brenda456
02-07-2010, 05:16 PM
Soundslikea lot of un. I get to DC on occassion and am familiar with the metro stops you mentioned. I will think of you when I am there in April.

SuzanneBender
02-08-2010, 08:08 AM
It is always amazing how bad weather can sometimes bring the best out in people.Normally most people in DC wouldn't give you the time of day, but yet when a big snow storm comes through they all pitch in to help one another and have fun doing it. Its kind of nice watching people stop their busy lives for a moment and realize that there are other human beings in the world.

What a great story! Isn't it funny how weather can bring out the best in people. I remember a recent electrical blackout here this summer. People actually came out of there homes and talked and barbecued, sat on there porch and told tall tales and drank warm beer. I can just picture everything you wrote, its so vivid. Well am def looking forward to your pictures too. People are just so disaffected anymore. I am really beginning to think that we have to much stuff and move at way to fast a pace anymore. Efficiency just isn't quality.

What a fun outing thread Suzanne. And without any mention of makeup or high heels...must be a record around here!!! Not to take the thread in a whole different direction, but to me its not about the makeup or even the clothes anymore. Its about being me. You can tell by my pictures I haven't been going out in my Easter finest and it was the same on Saturday. Its nice just to be me.

Suzanne- Sounds like fun!:)
Were those the pics the doorman took of you?

Weird how you had a whole Metro train car by yourself! (Ooh, weirdest thing I experienced on Metro was at 6am on day of a big roadrace Saturday...EVERYBODY is wearing running clothes and running shoes, standing room only! It's like a Nike commercial or something...) No these are from yesterday using my Iphone. Two are self portraits. The one of me in the snow was taken by two wonderful ladies that happened to walk to this little Gazebo while I was there. In exchange I took their picture.

Suzanne, funny and yet exciting. Nice time and it takes the girl from the midwest to enjoy the magnitude of the storm. Ok the fun of the snow is over. Hanging out in a hotel waiting on the world to thaw has lost its luster. I want to get back to work and get home where I can be snowed in with people I love:heehee:

Rianna Humble
02-08-2010, 08:54 AM
I want to get back to work and get home where I can be snowed in with people I love:heehee:

:rofl:

Sara Jessica
02-08-2010, 09:46 AM
What a fun outing thread Suzanne. And without any mention of makeup or high heels...must be a record around here!!!

Not to take the thread in a whole different direction, but to me its not about the makeup or even the clothes anymore. Its about being me. You can tell by my pictures I haven't been going out in my Easter finest and it was the same on Saturday. Its nice just to be me.

Which was my point exactly Suzanne. I recognized this in your post, even if it wasn't something you intended to come across. And I think it's a wonderful thing!

(Any further comment on my part would take this thread in a whole different direction!!! ;) )