PDA

View Full Version : A coincidence or outed?

tall sam
02-07-2010, 02:46 AM
I am on a business trip for 2 weeks and have been dressign whenever possible. I forgot my camera so asked one of the other guys to lend me one. ( I had brought two new cameras with me for them) Anyway, he lends me one of the cameras I had brought over. I have had a great time taking pictures and decided to look at some tonight.

Now get this -------- the picture numbers all start wtih "sam".
Is this because the camera is a samsung or someone knows something??

concerned
Sam

Loni
02-07-2010, 03:41 AM
could he have set a prefrence so your photos would not be mixed with his at just a glance of the file #'s?:eek:

or maybe a "code" for the protocall of the type of compression?
aka jpg. etc.:doh:

fluke:D

Bree-asaurus
02-07-2010, 03:51 AM
I wouldn't worry about it. That seems like quite a stretch for someone to have found out, lent you their camera and then decided to modify the settings to display your name as the filename. (I'm not sure that's even possible on most cameras without a firmware hack.) I think it's a coincidence. Don't fret!

JamieOH
02-07-2010, 09:40 AM
each manufacturer is different, and each model may vary, but i believe it is just coincidence... dont sweat it, have fun....

Joni Marie Cruz
02-07-2010, 09:48 AM
Umm, maybe you could change your name.

Hugs...Joni Mari

KimberlyJo
02-07-2010, 09:49 AM
If the filename started with, samweknowyouaredressinginwomensclothes001.jpg then I would worry. I think you're just being a little paranoid :) Relax and have fun!
:love:

karynspanties
02-07-2010, 10:04 AM
If your worried about being found out.......why would you use someone else's camera to take pics? Not too smart.

Tamara Croft
02-07-2010, 10:10 AM
Yes, it's because the camera is a Samsung, it's a manufacturers setting, so stop worrying about it...

Deidra Cowen
02-07-2010, 10:23 AM
Yes, it's because the camera is a Samsung, it's a manufacturers setting, so stop worrying about it...

What a relief! Be careful with cell phones too, I had my own scare once thinking I had left my blackberry in my bosses car...luckily I found it actually under the seat of my car. Anyway deleted all my Deidra pics off of it.

tall sam
02-07-2010, 06:43 PM

thanks girls.
I thought it was a bit far fetched but never wrong with checking.
Yes, not very clever borrowing a camera but I seldon get this oppertunity and had a great weekend taking pics of myself dressed. - still am.

Sam

Kelly DeWinter
02-07-2010, 08:32 PM
Cameras started out with DSC for (Digital Still Camera) as their default. Many digital cameras, P&S and DSLR's use the DSC prefix on their image file naming. Others like Canon use IMG and some Panasonic P&S as well as Kodak cameras use 100_ as a prefix

Others

Casio = CIMG
Fujifilm = DSCF
Leica = L1001
Nikon = user defined (DSC default)
Olympus = P305 (depends upon the model)
Panasonic = DSC
Pentax = IMGP
Samsung = SNC
Sigma = SDIM
Sony = DSC

I checked the Samsung website, and and spoke to two friends of mine who have extesive knowledge of Samsung cameras and was told$ ALL of their cameras still start with SNC as the DEFAULT. It can be changed, but the DEFAULT is SNC on all of their camera lines.

I suspect you either left some pictures on the camera in the default memory or deleted the files using the camerae "Erase" function, which does not actualy erase a file froma a flash drive, but removes it's FAT table entery. one other way to see files that were deleted is to download photos using software like photoshop, which on the professional version can sector read a drive.

Keep in mind when a file is deleted, its NEVER removed form a Flash drive, just the entry or bit character in the FAT or File Allocation Table is removed. restore the bit or Read the Drive by sector (you don't need the file table this way) and you can see data that has not been overwritten.

I have to conclude, if your file name now read SAM0041 or sam0041, it;s been reset by someone.

If your male name is Sam, then no worries, if your enfem name is sam, it's more likely you made a verbal slip and togeather with a photo someone put two and two togeather.

most likely nothing has come up of it.

Kelly

sherri52
02-07-2010, 08:35 PM
I think you have nothing to worry about

lavistaa62
02-07-2010, 08:38 PM
ALWAYS reformat the flash card after you use it and use a version of Linux to do so- destroying the partition (with gparted) and then reformatting with a new FAT32 partition with slightly different start/stop sectors. !safe == sorry.

Cristi
02-07-2010, 09:02 PM
As mentioned above, my Nikon numbers are DSCxxxx, but I changed the letters to my initials just so if I ever got photos mixed up with anybody else, I'd easily be able to identify mine.

The only photo of 'Cristi' I have on my iPhone would be easy enough to dismiss as a halloween pic (my wedding gown photo), though I have been a bit nervous a few times when somebody has started playing with my phone.

tall sam
02-07-2010, 10:07 PM
Cameras started out with DSC for (Digital Still Camera) as their default. Many digital cameras, P&S and DSLR's use the DSC prefix on their image file naming. Others like Canon use IMG and some Panasonic P&S as well as Kodak cameras use 100_ as a prefix

I checked the Samsung website, and and spoke to two friends of mine who have extesive knowledge of Samsung cameras and was told$ ALL of their cameras still start with SNC as the DEFAULT. It can be changed, but the DEFAULT is SNC on all of their camera lines.

If your male name is Sam, then no worries, if your enfem name is sam, it's more likely you made a verbal slip and togeather with a photo someone put two and two togeather.

most likely nothing has come up of it.

Kelly

Kelly,
thanks for the extensive details and no, my male name is not Sam, my enfem name is Samantha, hence Sam.

Well, I took some further advice from the next few posts and formatted the camera after removing the pics I took this weekend. I just took another random photo and it still has the Sam extension - must be a new Samsung thing.

Thanks anyhow
Sam