PDA

View Full Version : Wellness Screening En Femme (No urine sample required).

Persephone
02-07-2010, 05:15 AM
Today was a very busy day! (I'll get to the wellness screening in a bit).

My spouse and I started out with a morning visit to our all-women exercise center. It was chilly and raining outside. I wore a decorated yellow t-shirt over snug thinish grey sweatpants.

While we were working out, I got into a conversation with one of the other ladies. She had complimented me on how slim I am. I'm not really slim, but she is quite, uh, large, so, to her I guess I appear very slim. We got into a discussion about weight loss.

She told me about all of the troubles she'd had with weight. According to her, a lot of her problem turns out to be related to hormones as her endocrinologist has found that she is abnormally low in testosterone. The conversation looped through all sorts of femme matters, including how the testosterone patch she is now using is affecting her vaginal fibroids.

From the exercise center, my spouse and I headed over to the beauty salon for our appointments. Along the way I noticed that one of the Walgreen's® had the Wellness Tour vehicle parked in front of it with free wellness tests. We decided that we'd stop by after our salon appointments.

The salon is one that we've been going to for years. Our stylist has a booth towards the back of the salon so we worked our way back, saying hello to the various stylists and customers that we know.

There was a moment of fun involved. We'd each gone into one of the two unisex restrooms to put something on to prevent hair dye from staining our clothes. I'd brought a black t-shirt decorated with frogs with me. It turned out that the t-shirt I'd brought was a duplicate of the one my spouse had been wearing. She likes to change into a smock at the salon.

So she went into one room while I went into the other. When we came out, it looked like I was now wearing the shirt that she had been wearing. Our stylist got quite a kick out of it.

After two hours at the salon, we headed over to the Wellness screening. This is something that I think Walgreens does all around the country. There are a number of specially equipped Tour vehicles that travel from place to place offering a series of free screenings.

The last time I'd come across one, I'd been with my son, and I'd been dressed androgenously. The folks who work inside the truck, except for the one that gives you your final report, only have access to your numeric code, not your name. So even though I'd registered using my male name, I was "Ma'm"ed through the entire process. Funny enough, even the person at the end, who did have my name, still had treated me as a woman, calling me "Ma'm" and comparing my scores with the female charts.

This time I was totally dressed en femme, so I registered under my femme name.

The process takes you through three basic stations. At the first, they take a small blood sample from your finger. While she was doing it, the lady and I chatted about her job, how she likes the travel, where she was originally from, etc. No strange looks, no odd glances, no puzzlement, just two women chatting.

The person at the second station takes your blood pressure, uses a device to determine your body mass index, and measures your waist circumference. A little more chatting as she worked.

The person at the third station uses an ultrasound device to take a bone density of one of the bones in your ankle. This was the test I was most interested in, because I wanted to compare it with my previous results as well as with my other bone density tests from my pelvic bone and my spine.

I have ostepenia (the precursor to osteoporosis) in my spine and take a generic similar to Fosamax to keep it in check. I was curious to see how it might have affected bond density in my ankle.

Finally, my name was called and the analysis provided me with my results. There was never a moment when I received an odd glance or was treated other than as an ordinary woman.

After the screening, we returned home for lunch, soup and sandwiches.

After lunch, we headed to the Ezlube® to change the oil in my spouse's car. I'd been at that same Exlube on Friday for service to my car, so, of course, I had to return en femme.

There were several women and children, from very young to just pre-teen, in the waiting room, but everyone was pretty much preoccupied with whatever they were doing, reading, playing games, so there really wasn't any conversation going on.

The staff was helpful and because my spouse's car is relatively new, there was no attempt to upsell any items.

Whew! After that, it was home for a nap!

Persephone
02-07-2010, 11:31 PM
I was just looking at the printout for the wellness screening and came across something kinda strange.

I'm not particularly "fat," certainly not for a guy. 5'7" (170 cm), and weigh 150 lbs. (70.5 kg/10.71 stone). Well within the "ideal body weight" for a woman with a large frame, almost within ideal body weight for a medium frame woman. and right in the "ideal weight" middle for a man with a medium frame.

But according to the test they ran, I have a body composition that is 31.3% body fat, almost the middle of the body fat goal for a woman of my age and within the goal range for a woman of any age, but completely outside of the male range, which, for my age group would be 13.0% to 24.9%.

I don't believe that I have the level of body fat appropriate for a genetic woman, so I wonder what is going on with that result.

It was done with one of those devices you hold by both hands.http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/sandylewiscares/BodyCompSilver.jpg It uses electrical impedance. I understand that it can be effected by the amount of water you have ingested, but I hadn't ingested any water for at least three hours.

Does anyone know what factors could have skewed the test?

dilane
02-08-2010, 12:05 AM
I was just looking at the printout for the wellness screening and came across something kinda strange.

...But according to the test they ran, I have a body composition that is 31.3% body fat, almost the middle of the body fat goal for a woman of my age and within the goal range for a woman of any age, but completely outside of the male range, which, for my age group would be 13.0% to 24.9%.

I don't believe that I have the level of body fat appropriate for a genetic woman, so I wonder what is going on with that result.

Does anyone know what factors could have skewed the test?

Hi Barb,

No, but here is an alternative test I saw on the web:

body fat test (http://www.healthcentral.com/cholesterol/home-body-fat-test-2774-143.html)

It will at least give you another data point...

I took it in drab and en femme :) and as a male I scored 11.5%, as a female 19.5%