PDA

View Full Version : Measuring Readability (or Passability)

Michelle-Leigh
02-08-2010, 09:48 PM
How does one determine when one is being read ? I feel certain that I cannot be better than 80% passable at my best, although I seem to blend in well on public outings and feel almost more comfortable than I do when in drab. It seems almost impossible to tell if most folks are reacting to seeing me..... Has anyone found a way to better determine when a person has read them ?

Kathi Lake
02-08-2010, 09:50 PM
Well, I flippantly wanted to answer, "Don't know. Don't care." I thought about it a bit more, though.

It's hard to say. Essentially, you just "know." I don't really look for it, so maybe I just have a hard time finding it.

Kathi

Super Amanda
02-08-2010, 09:54 PM
I'm the same. I feel like certainly someone must have figured it out, but people seem to be generally courteous, and treat each other like human beings, which is nice!

From the stories on here, I think the only real way we will know when is when someone wants us to know....

Sara Jessica
02-08-2010, 09:58 PM
It's impossible to know for sure unless you take some sort of survey and then your cover is blown so what's the point?!?! It's easier not to care so much.

VeronicaMoonlit
02-08-2010, 10:04 PM
"Pass"? "Passing"? Might as well just say "Ni!"

Thinking about "passing" too much is as Admiral Ackbar of the Rebel alliance would say:

"It's a trap."

Veronica Rogers

Rachel Morley
02-08-2010, 10:15 PM
Hi Michelle,

I know what you mean. As crazy as it might sound, when I go out in mainstream public places, I'm lucky enough to be able to say I rarely get a second look, yet I just know that I'm statistically not that passable (you say yours is 80%, I don't know what my percentage is). I do often wonder who did actually read me and who didn't, purely for curiosity of course :D However, like others have said, is it that important? I don't think so. :2c:

gabimartini
02-08-2010, 10:26 PM
Though I don't have a lot of experience in this, you just know. It's like when you are in party and you notice you are being the butt of somebody's jokes.

People's bodies do all the talking. It may involve a smirk, finger-pointing, a whisper in somebody's ear followed by funny stares. Signs abound, if you care to count them.

On the other hand, if you are able to conceal your most masculine features and divert attention to feminine ones, odds are people won't take a second look. They will label you as female.

Plus, everybody goes out so worried about what others will be thinking of them, that it leaves them little time to actually pay close attention to others... we live in a mostly egoistical society! :D

SuzanneBender
02-08-2010, 10:55 PM
It's hard to say. Essentially, you just "know." I don't really look for it, so maybe I just have a hard time finding it.

Its the secret to functioning out there. Unless you are looking for people pointing and whispering you typcially won't find them.

I'm the same. I feel like certainly someone must have figured it out, but people seem to be generally courteous, and treat each other like human beings, which is nice! Its true! I see a lot more scary people then me or any of us out there and people treat them with respect.

Thinking about "passing" too much is as Admire Ackbar of the Rebel alliance would say:

"It's a trap." Worrying about passing just makes you look like the guy in a dress that isn't supposed to be there. If you don't expect to pass then every time you do well its a good thing.

My two favorite ways to tell are when they announce over the store intercom that a TG is in isle 5 and also when the crowd with pitch forks and torches shows up chanting burn her at the stake. Both of those have always been dead give aways that I have been read.

Karren H
02-08-2010, 11:04 PM
I hear RONCO has a New and Improved Pass-O-meter.... comes with a free Sham-Wow... limited time offer.... void where prohibited by law.... not available in all states..... colors may vary..... objects may appear closer than they really are..... packaging is not a toy......

dilane
02-08-2010, 11:17 PM
As much as I strive for the unattainable Passing Holy Grail, I generally assume that:

1) The folks walking by generally don't read me.

2) The folks I interact with do read me.

I'm not shy, and chat with strangers regularly.

I can't say for sure when I've been read, because most folks are cool and polite hereabouts (in LA).

However, I do know for sure when I've passed: If I make a reference to my T-ness, and looks of Shock and Awe ensue, I passed (past tense, of course, now my cover is blown). One of my favorite things, especially when chatting with GG's. More than once I've been told: "Your voice is perfect!"

eileendover
02-09-2010, 12:15 AM
As a possible readER, I can recall a few occasions when the person I've seen may not have been 100% female. But I think my reactions varied over a wide range:

- she looked like most other females, so I paid no more attention than other females (in other words, I didn't know).

- she looked like a very stunning female, so I paid more attention.

- she looked way too masculine, so I noticed, but did not stare, gasp, or point.

- she looked, well, either/or, so I did pay more attention in order to see whether I could spot clues one way or the other (this last actually happened right after I joined here, so perhaps I was trying to apply my new understanding).

It's difficult to know for certain how others see us unless they make it completely obvious ("Look! Over there! A man in a dress!"). And I've often found that people care WAY more about what others think of THEM than they actually care about little old me.

my four cents :2c::2c:

divamissz
02-09-2010, 12:19 AM
i hear ronco has a new and improved pass-o-meter.... Comes with a free sham-wow... Limited time offer.... Void where prohibited by law.... Not available in all states..... Colors may vary..... Objects may appear closer than they really are..... Packaging is not a toy......

win!

divamissz
02-09-2010, 12:21 AM
There's no objective test to determine "passability." There is however a very practical one-if you go out and nobody treats you as anything but just another woman, you're probably "passing."

Matt Lynch
02-09-2010, 12:23 AM
I hear RONCO has a New and Improved Pass-O-meter.... comes with a free Sham-Wow... limited time offer.... void where prohibited by law.... not available in all states..... colors may vary..... objects may appear closer than they really are..... packaging is not a toy......

Oh, you may jest, but this would actually do the trick:

https://www.asseenontv.com/prod-pages/loud_n_clear_ontv.html?gid=PERSONAL

Be careful though - you know what they say about eavesdroppers...

Stephenie S
02-09-2010, 12:31 AM
How does one determine when one is being read ? I feel certain that I cannot be better than 80% passable at my best, although I seem to blend in well on public outings and feel almost more comfortable than I do when in drab. It seems almost impossible to tell if most folks are reacting to seeing me..... Has anyone found a way to better determine when a person has read them ?

For goodness sake, hon, why ever do you want to know? If someone has mistaken me for male, and they keep it to themselves, why should I care?

Seriously, when someone calls you sir, they have read you. When a SA says to her associate, "Will you help this man pick out a skirt?", you have been read. It's pretty simple. When they say, "Yes, ma'am", you are doing OK. What more do you want? It's impossible for ANYONE to know how others see them unless they tell you. So I guess you could ask.

"Excuse me, you do realize that I'm a man?", might give you some insight.

"You do understand, don't you, that I'm not a woman", would also give you some pertinent information.

But generally, we don't go about announcing our gender verbally. Let your affect and appearance do that for you. The response from others that you receive will tell you how you are being "read".

Stephie

Michelle-Leigh
02-09-2010, 05:18 AM
But generally, we don't go about announcing our gender verbally. Let your affect and appearance do that for you. The response from others that you receive will tell you how you are being "read".

Stephie

Now there's an idea, Stephie. I just realized that, while I am out in female jeans, shoes, and top without wig or makeup, certain known bigoted stereotypes such as male rednecks and the like will show an easily recognizable reaction to my appearance, always in the form of staring or a scowl on their ugly boorish faces. In these instances, I just ignore them and avoid eye contact. But observing the percentage of these types having such negative reactions when I am fully made up and dressed should therefore give me a good measure of how successfully I am passing. In the ten outings I have made thus far while totally made up, I do not recall seeing any of these negative reactions....

melissacd
02-09-2010, 05:38 AM
...and I think that that is really the goal. Do not worry if you pass as a female or don't because for most it is an unattainable expectation. Just be happy that when appropriately dressed you blend in well enough that people either do not notice or do not care.

Jonianne
02-09-2010, 07:24 AM
I know what you are saying, but I believe it is better to get away from the common notion of "passing" and move to the better idea of being truly comfortable in who we are. Then it is more likely when others see us, even if they know us and know we are male, they will say "You very much belong in what you are wearing".

Kate Simmons
02-09-2010, 07:34 AM
It really has nothing to do with stats. It's about how well you "deliver" yourself as a person. That is what counts.:)

Christina Horton
02-09-2010, 10:34 AM
Ok Hun if you get mamed or miss'ed or could you help her find a skirt , you " may " be passing. In my case it's them being nice and treating me the way I am dressed. So when out dressed I think the only way to really know is if people point and laugh etc. I to allways wonder does anyone know , but in the end I don't care if they do just that they treat me like a lady.

carhill2mn
02-09-2010, 06:58 PM
I think that you already know. If you are being accepted as a woman by those with whom you are interacting, then you are successful. IMHO, being accepted is more important than "passing".

kellycan27
02-09-2010, 07:00 PM
It really has nothing to do with stats. It's about how well you "deliver" yourself as a person. That is what counts.:)

Truer words were never spoken :hugs:

Kel

JiveTurkeyOnRye
02-09-2010, 07:18 PM
Well, I always get read because of how I dress, but, for the common style of dressing publicly I'll say this: The easiest way to get read is to worry about if you're being read.

eluuzion
02-10-2010, 12:15 AM
I think this is the tool used to train psychologists and psychiatrists

http://nerdnirvana.org/g4m3s/shemaleshellgame.htm

Mandy Burgundy
02-10-2010, 02:26 AM

:lol: Does it come with a Slap Chop too.

Genifer Teal
02-10-2010, 05:57 AM
A tall beautiful woman will attract lots of attention. I suppose some of those looks could be due to discovering I'm trans. How is one to know?

Gen

SuzanneBender
02-10-2010, 08:16 AM
Instead of worrying that I am being read when people take a long glance I worry that I tucked my blouse into my pantihose or that I have toilet paper stuck to my shoe. Better yet the big piece of spinach from your veggie pizza on your front tooth. I have been known to do things like that. Its so embarassing!

:D

audreyinalbany
02-10-2010, 09:33 AM
Eileen brought up an interesting point....how many times have you wondered about a GG you've seen somewhere? I mean, not to be a total jerk or anything, but I sure do see a lot of 'manly' looking gg's out there. They can't all be crossdressers. I know I shouldn't compare, but there are more than a few women I see out in the world who we transgendered folks compare quite favorably to.
Like most crossdressers, I think I tend to be 'on the lookout' for others, and I can honestly say that I've only seen one or two crossdressers who are obviously guys. That said, statistically I think it's unlikely that in my fifty-five years on this earth I haven't had casual encounters with other dressers and that I simply didn't notice them.

Mitzi
02-11-2010, 12:17 AM
As many have said, most people are too polite to even stare. But we're a curiosity to most, so if they've read us, they'll wait until we've passed, then turn around to get a better look.

So, maybe you can mount an inconspicuous rear view mirror to monitor what happens behind you:D But seriously, you could have a friend trail you to observe any reactions.

Most guys are pretty oblivious unless
1. The girl is well put together, or
2. She is exceptionally pretty, or
3. She is provocatively dressed.

It's mostly women and kids who observe. Even so, most won't notice unless there's some obvious giveaway.

My :2c:...

Mitzi

tamarav
02-11-2010, 09:02 AM
If you define yourself as being "passable" or not and depend on that to get out, you will never go anywhere. I know women who don't "Pass".

Don't focus on passing but on being. Accept that you are the best looking and acting you can be this time and go. Learn from your mistakes and move on.

Kaitlyn Michele
02-11-2010, 10:43 AM
A tall beautiful woman will attract lots of attention. I suppose some of those looks could be due to discovering I'm trans. How is one to know?

Gen

I don't think that's why Gen!! :)..

at 6'2" myself, I feel you !

Christie ann
02-11-2010, 02:17 PM
This is actually a simple scoring matrix using easily measured parameters while walking through the mall in high heals. It is a simple matter of interviewing the prime number of people you walk by (1st person, 3rd person, 5th person, 7th person...) and dividing their answers by pi X the days date. Any score higher than 1.0 signifies passing.

Seriously, I only pass at night as long as there is no moon at only at a distance.

sherri52
02-11-2010, 02:32 PM
If they ask if you are a man or a woman; you've been read:heehee:

Midnight Skye
02-11-2010, 03:12 PM
I agree with the cute ladies above. Unless someone is laughing pointing or yelling and screaming its impossibly tough to tell if you're passing and better off not worrying about it.

I went out one day dressed in a manner which didn't aid passing one bit... and people and kids were more friendly than ever. I attracted a HORRID amount of attention though... but not one negative comment, with the odd exception of being accused of laughing like a "girl" as in a little girl. Come on! Woman can get girly when they want (sighs) --- But to aid my point... while I assume I couldn't have been passing at all people acted and treated me otherwise.

I even had a man stop me in the parking lot to give me his business card... even more stagger was him telling me his business was filled with good Christians (I think he thought I had come from church that night!)

bgirl
02-11-2010, 05:59 PM
Don't know don't care.
Well really, I know I don't pass, but I still want to be out sometimes. And so far, I have been treated fair enough, at least as long as I spend money, which works out as I love to eat out and go shopping! Not counting the two three times I was laughed at or the one time a young man yelled at me and I took off my heels and turned around ready to go! I guess he didn't want to beat up a 'girl' after all.