PDA

View Full Version : Local Discrimination, And Doing Something About It

DiannaRose
02-10-2010, 06:37 PM
As some of you know, I belong to two chapters of the SISTERS Family of New England. Some of you also belong...hi sisters! :)

A few weeks ago, a group of SISTERS tried to get into a local establishment--one that they had visited several times before--only to be turned away at the door, ostensibly because their IDs didn't match their appearances. Follow-up calls apparently yielded the fact and dreaded words that "our kind" was not welcome there.

Ashley Bottoms, the head of SISTERS Family, is heading to City Hall on Monday the 22nd to lodge her formal discrimination complaint against this business.

Here's a link to an article running in a couple of the local papers. It's interesting to see the insights (and also, sadly, lack thereof) in the comments. LOT of discussion around this, just on that one article in that one paper--and the story is running in at least one other local paper.

http://www.gloucestertimes.com/punews/local_story_040223616.html

Because this is an affront not only to the SISTERS but to every one of us here, we need to rally behind Ashley and the SISTERS when she makes her case on the 22nd, at 6:30pm Eastern US time. We can't all be there in person, of course, but we can keep her in our thoughts and prayers at that time. I know I'll be standing beside her in spirit!

AllieSF
02-10-2010, 07:15 PM
Very interesting article and the comments from a lot of people. I was impressed by the very cool and mature approach by most of the people who made comments. Good work ladies and I hope that you can bring your complaint forward successfully. Since that restaurant is a chain, have the Sisters had any luck contacting the main office regarding their stand on this, and what are the specific laws there that may favor or disfavor the complaint? Maybe this chain has locations in more tolerant states and pressure can be brought on them to get all of their locations to be more tolerant. Good luck and please keep us informed.

gennee
02-10-2010, 07:16 PM
I wish these ladies success in their case.

Gennee

:hugs:

bethany356
02-10-2010, 07:23 PM
As a fellow New England lady... I stand 100% behind you ladies! And I think the ID thing is LAME! I look nothing like my drivers license... It's descrimination, plane and simple, and you ladies are wise NOT to stand for it!

DiannaRose
02-10-2010, 08:15 PM
Very interesting article and the comments from a lot of people. I was impressed by the very cool and mature approach by most of the people who made comments. Good work ladies and I hope that you can bring your complaint forward successfully. Since that restaurant is a chain, have the Sisters had any luck contacting the main office regarding their stand on this, and what are the specific laws there that may favor or disfavor the complaint? Maybe this chain has locations in more tolerant states and pressure can be brought on them to get all of their locations to be more tolerant. Good luck and please keep us informed.

I tried to be mature with my comments (made under my other name), but it's not easy when emotions are high, which they can be around this. I seethe thinking about it, and I wasn't even there.

I don't know if Ashley has contacted the main offices yet, or if she's planning to. Really I think she just wants to bring the issue to light...she's not pressing any charges as far as I know. On the 22nd she's talking to the Peabody Licensing Board...I don't think she necessarily wants them to revoke the restaurant's licenses or anything, just wants to make sure we're heard.

I'll update if necessary as I know more. But please everyone keep the SISTERS in your thoughts...any positive energy you can send this way can't hurt! :)

sherri52
02-10-2010, 08:40 PM
Dianne let Ashley know that we are routing for her and hope the Peabody board can see the light and spread it toward the club.

JustWendy
02-10-2010, 08:56 PM
February 22nd - Washington's Birthday - let freedom ring. Add my positive energy to the growing list.
Wendy

Rogina B
02-10-2010, 09:49 PM
I comment on commercial fishing issues in the Gloucester Daily Times.As a member of Sisters,I was aware of what went on at Capones[thru Yahoo groups].Because of my "screen name/internet address" on Disquis,I was unable to fight the FEW negative comments from readers.My commercial fishing expertise has made my comments carry credibility...and readership. Though I wanted to "set a few of the readers straight on the facts" I had to stand by. And I have been frustrated all day over it...it is a closed minded choir that i preach to. Ashley[the founder of Sisters ]has,because of this incident,fully outed herself to the Massachusetts world.She has been quite visible and vocal in Ashley mode,but now it is Rob mode...I wish her the best of luck in not backing down in the face of absolute discrimination,no matter what the outcome.I hope they lose all their customers from this attitude.:2c:

SuzanneBender
02-10-2010, 10:17 PM
My thoughts and prayers will be with all my New England sisters. This midwestern farmer's daughter is proud of how you ladies are handling blatant discrimination. I am so proud of you for standing up and saying enough is enough.

Presh GG
02-10-2010, 11:16 PM
This makes me sick, and so sad.

This has never happened to us, I don't know what i would do if it did... But I wouldn't be pretty.
We're with you.

Presh GG