PDA

View Full Version : When not dressed do people address you as...

Karen__Starr
02-15-2010, 11:47 PM
When not dressed do people address you as ma'm, or miss instead of Sir?

A good example for me is walking up to a counter for fried chicken in super market, guy looks up and say "can I help you miss?" If I am not thinking I will reply in my female voice. Depending on what I am wearing they will not figure out what's the scoop is as I tend to dress between male and female. Then there are times I will answer in my male voice and really throw them off guard. I think part of it for me at least is my hair is long and my general appearance says female (been told this, not sure I can go along with it).

So let's hear from you!!

makin' it real
02-16-2010, 01:04 AM
I used to get "miss"ed all the time when I was in my 20's, occasionally in my 30's, and now I don't recall it happening even once in my 40's. I recall being so confused by it back then because I was just being me. Yeah, I had long hair (that many women said they wished they had :daydreaming:) but my body was still all guy.

I was fighting off my CDing and TS wishes so hard, while also indulging and purging on a regular basis, that I took any intimation of me being feminine as an affront. Over the years I've learned how to move, think, and act like a guy so well that I hadn't even noticed the lack of "Miss"es or "Ma'am"s. During that time I was partners in an auto repair shop, knew all the stats and stories on the players on "my" pro football team, and still took up ballet at 35. Whoops! How did that get in there?! Well, what I mean is that I learned the "man" role well. (Mostly.)

Only in the last half year or so have I started letting myself feel and move as I did when I was younger. I like the feeling. I still rarely allow it when outside the house even though I underdress every day and even wear "women's" shoes and, often, slacks. I just want to see how this expresses and feels inside me now that I'm finally allowing myself to experience my more feminine qualities.

I think you're right that as we allow ourselves to more fully incorporate the feminine into who we are, that it will be picked up by others, even if at the subconscious level, and they'll respond to us from that place. Then the "slips" of being called ma'am or miss when in drab might become external indicators of our internal changes. I'm thinking I'll be nervous all over again the first time I get called ma'am again. :o Still, I think I'll kinda like it, too! :heehee:

Rachaelgirl39
02-16-2010, 01:21 AM
I get maam and miss all the time now am pretty much fulltime now except for work but latley I have been called maam a few times.

Nicole Erin
02-16-2010, 02:23 AM
It does happen quite a bit, even if I am not full femme, get called "ma'am".

Persephone
02-16-2010, 03:27 AM
Yep, lots of "Ma'm" and "Miss" regardless of what I'm wearing. As a matter of fact, rather than it happening the most when I'm dressed androgynously, it seems to happen a lot when I'm wearing "guy clothes!" Go figure!

Maddie
02-16-2010, 04:50 AM
It happened to me just the other day. I was basically in drab, but bent over looking for some eye shadow in the sale bin. ths sa said can I help you with anything maam. I turned looked up at her and smilled real big. Guess i got my hair just right from the back :battingeyelashes:

gabimartini
02-16-2010, 06:20 AM
Nope, never happened. Not in person, not on the phone.

Claire Cook
02-16-2010, 06:31 AM
It's happened to me a few times. When folks apologize, I have said "Thanks, but either works."

minalost
02-16-2010, 05:10 PM
Only when I was young and only on the phone. Now the bald head is a total give a way :eek:!
:hugs:

Super Amanda
02-16-2010, 06:13 PM
I haven't really mentioned it, because of several reasons, one of which being it's not that big a deal to me, but a couple weeks ago, I could swear the bank teller said "I can help you here, ma'am.".

Now I admit I am not a crossdresser, but am transitioning, BUT I present as a guy still for now, and being six feet tall, and wearing my old, baggy fat guy clothes, I never thought I would be ma'am-ified. So for me it is wonderful to think that maybe the hormones are making me look more fem, but I also don't like to set myself up for disappointment, so I haven't really pondered much on that moment.

Maybe she said "I can help you here, MAN." I doubt it, but who knows?

sherri52
02-16-2010, 06:23 PM
Only when they see me from behind. I have long hair and use clips in my hair, they are not usually meant for men.

kimdl93
02-16-2010, 06:38 PM
no, I've never been called Ma'am or Miss. More often its Sir these days...

suchacutie
02-16-2010, 06:47 PM
With these broad shoulders, wide arms, and trimmed hair I'm just a guy when I'm not Tina! What fun it would be to use Tina's voice if I was ever given feminine pronouns!!! I'm waiting for the phone pollster to ask for the "lady of the house" to see how much fun Tina would have with that!

Tina

abigailf
02-16-2010, 06:50 PM
I get maam'd or miss'd a lot. I love it, but it drives my wife crazy.

Once I was in an airport mens room washing my hands (that's the woman in me) and my back was to the entrance so I can see people coming in through the mirror. So I see this guy walk in and he sees me from the back (long hair and all). He must have thought I was a woman because I saw him turn around to double check which bathroom he was going into. He then came back in and checked me out in more detail.

Lisa Renee
02-16-2010, 10:56 PM
Yes I have been ma'm a few times in drab, but not often.

PretzelGirl
02-16-2010, 11:25 PM
I was ma'amed once by a SA while I had a full beard and was buying a dress. I'm guessing she was looking at the dress more than me. And it was a Ross and I was in a line with several ladies.

My boss used to open our team meetings with something like "Ladies, here is what we need to do...". Me and a group of women. I would always reply with a squeaky voice "Yes...". Have to embarass the boss.:heehee:

What does this tell me? People slip. People don't pay attention. Pick your poison. I know my beard screamed guy and I believe my boss figured out my sex as far back as my interview.

Now, yes, people can make mistakes by assuming too early or because someone is just to androgynous to know right away. You never know.

lavistaa62
02-17-2010, 01:54 AM
I'm beginning to wonder if I belong here- this has never happened to me. Never even hinted at. My wife was shocked / suprised/"really" when I told her. This, despite my life long compunction. I've also had relatively good luck meeting women- not as in like a "player" but always had lots of female friends who might if so inclined turn into lovers.

Sorry if a bit off topic to the thread but just feeling a bit disenfranchised. I have to make it up to the next Manchester meeting and meet everyone. Keep trying but hanging out with my son keeps taking precedence.

Wondering where I fit in now....

EnglishRose
02-17-2010, 10:56 AM
Not being as tall as I am, no, despite the long hair, even from the back.

Electra
02-17-2010, 11:22 AM
When not dressed do people address you as ma'm, or miss instead of Sir? ...

Why on earth should anyone want to address me as ma'm or miss when I am not dressed and looking 100% male?

VanessaVW
02-17-2010, 12:43 PM
It does happen quite a bit, even if I am not full femme, get called "ma'am".

I get ma'amed now and then and have been for years. And this is in full drab. I have short hair. Oh well. I'm definately not pretty, that's for sure.