PDA

View Full Version : Harry Benjamin Standards of Care

emmicd
08-09-2005, 10:51 PM
Here is a link that may help transgendered understand the Harry Benjamin Standards of care.

www.tc.umn.edu/nlhome/m201/colem001/hbigda/hstndrd.htm

Hope it helps those who are tg.

Emmi

Deborah
08-10-2005, 02:13 AM
Here is a link that may help transgendered understand the Harry Benjamin Standards of care.

www.tc.umn.edu/nlhome/m201/colem001/hbigda/hstndrd.htm (http://www.tc.umn.edu/nlhome/m201/colem001/hbigda/hstndrd.htm)

Hope it helps those who are tg.

Emmi

I realize there may be a reason they implemented that. Personally i don't think i need a shrink or anyone else to help me prove what i've already known for over 20 years. I'm an adult i should be able to do what i want (within reason of course)

Sharon
08-10-2005, 05:53 AM
I realize there may be a reason they implemented that. Personally i don't think i need a shrink or anyone else to help me prove what i've already known for over 20 years. I'm an adult i should be able to do what i want (within reason of course)

It's that attitude that is the reasoning behind using the test. Even with the test, there are occasional people who decide that SRS was a mistake after the fact. For such a major life-altering decision, it is better to err on the side of caution, wouldn't you agree?

Stlalice
08-10-2005, 08:14 AM

When you are an adult and think that you know what you want, the Standards of Care can seem like an arbitrary and unreasonable restriction. The standards are really there to protect you from the consequences of a too hasty decision regarding SRS. Stop and think - have you ever been out of your house dressed? Have you lived 24/7/365 as a woman and dealt with all the problems and discrimination that are a womans lot on an everyday basis? How about facial hair removal? Have you started HRT, let alone given it time to work? Have you got your legal ducks in a row - name changed, records updated, etc.

There is a stage in the early days of transition that some call the "Pink haze/fog" when you are firmly convinced that SRS will "solve" all of your problems. Truth is you are at best trading one set of problems pre transition for another hopefully more managable set post transition/SRS. If you haven't laid the appropriate foundation by going thru the steps outlined in the SOC that dream castle could well be a house of horror instead. Take the time to do it right - it will save you a world of hurt. ;)

Marlena Dahlstrom
08-11-2005, 01:14 AM
For what it's worth, I remember running across a talk by a TG therapist from about 15 years ago to the predecessor of TGSF. She mentioned that early in her career there was a local surgeon who did a number of SRS without any pre-surgery evaluation (this apparently was pre-Benjamin). Unfortunately, he also had a high enough post-op suicide rate that he was eventually barred from practicing.

Even now, about 1-3% post-ops regret having SRS and want to reverse it. So while it's frustrating to would-be SRS candidates, the Benjamin standards are trying to balance addressing patients' needs vs. ensuring doctors do no harm.

Sierra
08-11-2005, 06:21 PM
Back in 1999 I began hrt,[no docs]did a lot of research first.Then I wanted to lactate read up on that too a lot and now I have boobs that lactate.I can never be a real woman,but at least I can be me.And what doc would allow that?And who has all the $ for countless docs.But I agree testing and keep up on it to save maybe your life.Also it is very risky to do it like me,because a guy with boobs is not accepted in our society,it affects me in all ways and my tits made me come out after everyone notices,sometimes I try to hide them and I do miss not being free to take my shirt off at times.