PDA

View Full Version : Another Crossdressing Skater !

Michelle-Leigh
02-18-2010, 10:56 AM
Ladies, I am so delighted that we have a sister crossdresser skating and styling very femme in the Olympics this year ! I just love Johnny's skating and his cute girly costumes... Now I have a new role model !

http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/uu143/michelleleighb/Michelle-Leigh%20General%20Pix/JohnnyWeirFreestyleSkaterSmall.jpg

Madame George
02-18-2010, 11:08 AM
Jenn and I watched his performance and got a kick out of his very femme, punk rocker look. We were also very disappointed with the judges scoring.

kimdl93
02-18-2010, 11:12 AM
he really worked it - I agree on the scoring, I though he should have been right up there.

sherri52
02-18-2010, 11:15 AM
Definitely a very fam look.

Vieja
02-18-2010, 11:45 AM
I missed this since I have been unable to watch much of the Olympics this time. Did he compete against the women or the men?

Vieja

celeste26
02-18-2010, 12:18 PM
Which skater was that? I missed it.

nikki_cd05
02-18-2010, 12:32 PM
OMG I love Johnny. Soooo sexy. yumm

JamieG
02-18-2010, 01:01 PM
My wife and I root for Johnny. I love the fact that he doesn't hide who he is. However, he's more than just a pretty face. He has a lot of talent, although at times I think he doesn't live up to his potential. If you're a fan, check out his show on the Sundance channel: Be Good Johnny Weir. This website has some clips: http://www.sundancechannel.com/johnny-weir/

JulieC
02-18-2010, 06:05 PM
Personally, I think the judges didn't judge him for his performance. He was outright ROBBED in the short program judging. There were skaters that crashed and burned to the ice who got higher scores than he did. Absolutely appalling display of judge bias. Even the announcers, including Scott Hamilton, questioned the judging, saying they'd have to go over a replay very carefully to find that many missing points.

Maybe he's not gold medal level just yet, but he deserved to be in the running for a medal. Yeah, he still has a chance but he's so far back he'd have to pull off a Nadia Comăneci to pull it off.

Genifer Teal
02-18-2010, 08:32 PM
Is he the one who got death threats from PETA for that being real fur?

Gen

Michelle-Leigh
02-18-2010, 08:39 PM
In artistic freestyle skating competition, roller or ice, the judges have always been quirky and sometimes seemingly biased in their scoring of events. I would not be surprised if a couple of the judges weren't biased against Johnny because of his controversial style of clothes; some of them can be so petty over such things. And as the artistic expression of the skating is so very subject to so many different impressions on people, there will always those who give programs lower marks than are deserved.

Kate Simmons
02-18-2010, 08:50 PM
Cute as a bug's ear that one.:)

"Mary"
02-18-2010, 10:13 PM
I first caught a glimpse of him coming into the building wearing a fur trimmed hooded coat and thought - she's kinda pretty but needs a softer longer hairdo. Hmmm...

Ingrid1999
02-18-2010, 11:49 PM
Johnny Weir is fierce!
And adorable too.

Lorileah
02-19-2010, 12:15 AM
Did I miss the press conference? Who says he is a crossdresser? It's a costume...it is what he wears on the ice...it isn't a girl's outfit (unless he is wearing tights and a woman's leotard). Ice skaters at that level wear a lot of sequins and netting...it is a costume. The guys wear snap crotch body suits. The kid from France dressed as a marionette does that make him a puppet?

tifftg
02-19-2010, 12:39 AM
Tonight's lacey outfit was so wonderful. I loved his crown of roses at the end. Sooooooooooooooo Cute.

Karren H
02-19-2010, 02:18 AM
Not my role model.... I seriously doubt he has much of a slap shot!!!

Michelle-Leigh
02-19-2010, 10:49 AM
Did I miss the press conference? Who says he is a crossdresser? It's a costume...it is what he wears on the ice...it isn't a girl's outfit (unless he is wearing tights and a woman's leotard). Ice skaters at that level wear a lot of sequins and netting...it is a costume. The guys wear snap crotch body suits. The kid from France dressed as a marionette does that make him a puppet?

Lorileah, I know for a fact that he is a crossdresser, as I have read an account of him actually wearing a dress at some sort of fashion show. How frequent or serious his crossdressing is, I cannot say. But it occurs to me that, as skating dresses are not approved for male skaters, he is (as I often do when I am out sans makeup and hair) trying his hardest to dress as femme as possible.

Lorileah
02-19-2010, 11:30 AM
Maybe I am using the wrong key words for searching. I get how he designs costumes or he is flamboyant whenever I type in crossdresser or Johnny Weir crossdressing but I don't find anything about him wearing women's clothing except for here. Can you get me a link?

It bothers me when more than half the people here on CD.com keep saying they are in hiding and they don't want anyone to know then they "out" someone who hasn't come out on their own. Until I see proof that he likes wearing the clothes he is just another flamboyant figure skater. I remember the rumors about Scott Hamilton which never were proven. It wasn't long ago even here on CD.com that the "rock" was supposedly a dresser. Many macho males in the 70's wore full length furs. For awhile there even Adam Lambert was supposed to carry our banner because he wore make up.

We do need a role model for our community other than the over the top RuPauls but making an assumption that someone dresses isn't how we should go, especially when we have the view from the inside that people make assumptions about us that aren't true. Can you get us a link to prove he is a CD? (not gay, not flamboyant, not a prima dona...one that says he wears women's clothing)

Sarasometimes
02-19-2010, 12:02 PM
I have followed figure skating for a couple of decades and he has always been flamboyant in his costume choices but that is all I have ever heard. The gold medalist from the USA wore a costume designed by Vera Wang who also was a skater. For as long as I can remember many male figure skaters wear frilly/flowy/ruffly costumes which may be a way of appearing more graceful in thier movements. I give all of them a lot of credit for thier skill and dedication to thier sport.
Has anyone seen the reports on some of the female athletes where they talk about their girly sides. The one skier wears a tiara during the medal ceremony. It is interesting how they aren't questioned about being masculine. Yes that is jealousy.

Carroll
02-19-2010, 12:34 PM
Maybe I am using the wrong key words for searching. I get how he designs costumes or he is flamboyant whenever I type in crossdresser or Johnny Weir crossdressing but I don't find anything about him wearing women's clothing except for here. Can you get me a link?

It bothers me when more than half the people here on CD.com keep saying they are in hiding and they don't want anyone to know then they "out" someone who hasn't come out on their own. Until I see proof that he likes wearing the clothes he is just another flamboyant figure skater. I remember the rumors about Scott Hamilton which never were proven. It wasn't long ago even here on CD.com that the "rock" was supposedly a dresser. Many macho males in the 70's wore full length furs. For awhile there even Adam Lambert was supposed to carry our banner because he wore make up.

We do need a role model for our community other than the over the top RuPauls but making an assumption that someone dresses isn't how we should go, especially when we have the view from the inside that people make assumptions about us that aren't true. Can you get us a link to prove he is a CD? (not gay, not flamboyant, not a prima dona...one that says he wears women's clothing)

A voice for reason:o

Michelle-Leigh
02-19-2010, 12:38 PM

I cannot find a link to it at this time, as I had jumped to it across a couple of pages in a search for info on Johnny I did a while back. But I know that I did read of him modeling a dress; could've been just a one-time thing.

I have followed figure skating for a couple of decades and he has always been flamboyant in his costume choices but that is all I have ever heard. The gold medalist from the USA wore a costume designed by Vera Wang who also was a skater. For as long as I can remember many male figure skaters wear frilly/flowy/ruffly costumes which may be a way of appearing more graceful in thier movements. I give all of them a lot of credit for thier skill and dedication to thier sport.
Has anyone seen the reports on some of the female athletes where they talk about their girly sides. The one skier wears a tiara during the medal ceremony. It is interesting how they aren't questioned about being masculine. Yes that is jealousy.

He was wearing a corset the other night while skating a program. I do not recall ever seeing any other male skaters in corsets !

Ingrid1999
02-19-2010, 12:54 PM
I dont care if he is a CD or not really.
He is pushing gender boundaries and the world sees that he is beautifull and unafraid.
Go Johnnie Go

JamieG
02-19-2010, 12:59 PM

I doubt Johnny would self-identify as a crossdresser. He is an openly gay man who is not ashamed of who he is, and likes to add feminine elements to his appearance. One of his most famous outfits is "The Swan":

http://media.sundancechannel.com/UPLOADS/series/be_good_johnny_weir/500/johnny_weir_episode01_01.jpg

Many male figure skaters considered this too girly, even for their tastes. In his show he wanted to add a corset to one costume and a skirt to another, but after negotiating with his coach, only hints of that aesthetic appeared in the final costumes.

http://media.sundancechannel.com/UPLOADS/series/be_good_johnny_weir/500/johnny_weir_episode04_08.jpg

He did once do a fashion shoot in high heels, but when there was uproar of moral outrage, he stated he just put on what the photographer wanted him to wear.

Loni
02-19-2010, 03:02 PM
i do not care or belive in the olympics...but as for the effort any one puts forth to even get into the comps to go there, i do applaud them.:daydreaming:

and if this guy says it is not for him, he will be so sad not performing in front of a group of people.
i did not watch his performace, but to be there he is great even if he did not win the gold...maybe next time???

for me to even come close to getting on there heels is a pipe dream. (i like to ride bicycles).

vikki2020
02-19-2010, 06:20 PM
Go, Johny Go-- Johny Be Goode!

susancdd
02-19-2010, 06:53 PM
I love it.
Have you seen the photo of him in leggings with heels?

He looks great

-Susan

denns61
02-19-2010, 07:47 PM
Loved his outfit for the long program. Definitely very fem.

April Renee
02-19-2010, 10:17 PM
After reading the title of this thread, the original post, all the quoting's of the original post,I never saw anyone other than Karen H say anything about the skating aspect. So I'm wondering who are the other "crossdressing skaters"? Did you mean yourself,a friend,or another professional skater? I dont follow the sport so idk who is being referenced.
April.

Nicole Erin
02-19-2010, 10:23 PM
Did I miss the press conference? Who says he is a crossdresser?
Lori, lighten up. It is not a big deal. No need to go into a rant over nothing.

Anyways yeah Johnny does look good, I wish I had that figure.

Karen564
02-19-2010, 10:49 PM
For some strange reason he reminds me of Johnny Depp....and have no idea why...lol

But to be honest, I don't care for his outfits at all...it's ust not my style.......sorry.....

helenr
02-19-2010, 11:05 PM
I note that some of the male skaters wear outfits not normally viewed as 'masculine' . I think it is acceptable in this art form.I think I observed eyelash treatment on Johnny-which is fine with me, just noticed it. wonder if others did or does he have naturally curled eyelashes? I too think the judges were harsh on his excellent program.

ChanDelle
02-19-2010, 11:17 PM
My wife giggled cutely and mentioned she thought he curled his eyelashes. He also reminded her of Johnny Depp. She loved him and we both thought he got screwed in the scoring because of his dress and mannerisms. I loved his "in their face" approach. More power to him...

ChanDelle

Jamie001
02-21-2010, 07:09 PM
I want to say "Kudos to Johnny Weir" for excellent skating and more importantly for being himself! Johnny weir is a great role model for boys because he has a strong feminine side an openly expresses it rather than suppressing it which can lead to a life of drugs or even worse. Johnny is more of a man than the typical macho men that lives behind a pseudo image or that conform to the pigeon hole that they they believe they are forced into by society.

gabimartini
02-21-2010, 07:26 PM
If anybody is wondering who Johnny Weir is, this may help:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Weir

sherri52
02-21-2010, 07:29 PM
He does have some great costumes. I like the all white one.

Michelle-Leigh
02-21-2010, 09:00 PM
After reading the title of this thread, the original post, all the quoting's of the original post,I never saw anyone other than Karen H say anything about the skating aspect. So I'm wondering who are the other "crossdressing skaters"? Did you mean yourself,a friend,or another professional skater? I dont follow the sport so idk who is being referenced.
April.

I believe I worded that about the "other" skaters rather unclearly, April - I had in mind myself and two other crossdressers in the forum who are also skaters.

Abbyru1
02-21-2010, 10:31 PM
Karen would undoubtly look great in one of Johnnies customs. Hard to picture Karen in
guys hockey stuff. Slapshot indeed.

Sarah Welch
02-21-2010, 11:21 PM
here is one of many I found.

http://deucelacock.net/deuceblog/media/1/20060807-johnny_weir_1.jpg

Amanda Styles
02-22-2010, 02:01 AM

How is it you always seem to hit the nail on the head? :)

I first would like to say just making it to the olympics is quite an accomplishment, and to feel comfortable enough to wear what you
want in front of the whole world is great.

Go Johnny!

serinalynn
02-22-2010, 04:08 AM
I for one, have not even turned on the Vancouver Olympics. It's usully the Russians or communist bloc skaters that win anyway because the judges from those countries are told by their goverments to do so even thought they take an oath of impartially. USA skaters, even though great skaters almost never get a fair shake from the judges anyway.:eek: As we all have seen, once you get 3-4 tenths behind you most likely will not get a medal, and all those years of training, you went home with only memories and no medal to show for all the years of training.