PDA

View Full Version : So why doesn’t daddy wear nail polish?

Natasha TG
02-18-2010, 10:03 PM
Hi all, I just had to share this funny experience that I had tonight….

Yesterday I reapplied a new yummy nail polish (Shades Barelle, “GET MAUVE-ING” #5077) followed by a super glossy top coat.:daydreaming:

This evening I decided to do some window shopping in drab around the local mall, first trying on various heavenly heels, clothes then checking out makeup. Half way through I got a bit peckish and grabbed a bite to eat at the food court, I proceed to sit down next to the window and tucked in to some nice mall food. After 5 minutes, next to me a mother and two young daughters got up and prepared to leave.

Suddenly I heard the daughter say to her mother:
“Why doesn’t daddy wear nail polish?”

To which the mother replied:
“He wears nail polish because he’s a rocker, and all rockers wear dark nail polish”:strugglin

Now how do you girls view this? The daughter just asked a very innocent question without any influence or peer pressure from what Society suggests or imposes. But on the other hand the mother quickly blurted out this almost pre-orchestrated response! Why? Why not say:

“He wears nail polish because he wants to”:D

Now what if I was wearing bright red nail polish… I wonder what her response would be then….:brolleyes:

btw, I was not wearing the ring in the picture. I only wear that when I go out enfemme that signifies my marriage to my wife:heehee:

Rachel Morley
02-18-2010, 10:13 PM
How sad. It was a perfect opportunity to perhaps help her daughter understand that being different is ok and that wearing nail polish is just a preference, and her daddy happens not to prefer it.

Instead she said something that was probably potentially more confusing to her daughter .... UNLESS .... the woman in question was trying to be nice to you and doing it for what she thought was your benefit. i.e. she was trying to make excuses for you so that you wouldn't be "embarrassed" because you were in ear shot of her explanation. :2c:

Natasha TG
02-18-2010, 10:25 PM
I agree Rachel, this was definitely a great opportunity to educate her daughter and throw away current society stigmas.:straightface: I doubt she was trying to avoid embarrassment for me:2c:

JackieInPA
02-18-2010, 10:37 PM
When I got my second set of earrings done a few weeks ago i was wearing red nail polish in drab. A little girl said to her mother.."Why is he wearing nail polish mommy, he's not a girl?' The mother replied simply 'Why not boys can like nail polish too."

MonicaJean
02-18-2010, 10:41 PM
Natasha, your hands are so pretty!

Mom could have said "some guys wear nail polish, some don't" and left it at that.

Christina Horton
02-18-2010, 11:04 PM
Ok blonde mo. When the mother said "He wears nail p.... " was she refurring to " you " or thr girls dad.

Fab Karen
02-18-2010, 11:14 PM
"it reminds daddy of that time in college...uh...HOW 'BOUT SOME ICE CREAM!":)

Natasha TG
02-18-2010, 11:22 PM
Ok blonde mo. When the mother said "He wears nail p.... " was she refurring to " you " or thr girls dad.

Sorry Christina, after reading my thread, i can see the confusion. From one blone to another... I shall try and explain...boy this is going to be a looooong night:D:D:D

The Daughter was making reference to her observation of me in nail polish, then asked the question "So why doesn’t daddy wear nail polish?"

The mother's reply was telling her that I was the one that was wearing nail polish because I am a rocker...

So how is my blonde explaination:tongueout

Lorileah
02-18-2010, 11:58 PM
So when the little girl starts dating a TG later in life she can say "Hi mom, remember when you said rockers wear nail polish? Well meet Slash." :)

I am sure it was perspective. Mom watched Adam Lambert or Ozzy Osborne on TV, so she has this notion. It may have been a moment, but it wasn't a teaching moment for you. If you had started explaining, mom would have been like like a duck and pulled the little girls under her wing and walked away as fast as possible, explaining why one doesn't talk to strangers...especially sex drug and rock and rollers. Look at the bright side mom didn't say because you were "Gay" or some sort of prev. Rockers aren't bad...just loud

Karen564
02-19-2010, 12:05 AM
Well, no offense but......You said you were in drab but wearing nail polish of an very observable color from what I can see...So I don't see what was so wrong with what the Mother said....???
I don't recall ever seeing regular guy's wearing colored nail polish......clear maybe, but not a color..

Lets face it, you are going to be categorized into a group of some sort, such as like a Rocker as she said you were, Goth or as some wierdo....since you were not presenting as a Woman..

I just don't see this as a big deal from an outside prospective looking in..

Just think if she said something really bad...

:2c:

Jamie001
02-20-2010, 12:59 AM
We need to get to a point where the mother would say "because he likes to wear nail polish". The color should also not mater. I would ask the little girl if she like wearing anything that boys wear such as baseball caps or pants to illustrate that it is a two-way street and that gender stereotypes should not be applied.

diannecourtney
02-20-2010, 09:51 AM
Such lovely hands, how do you take care of thsm?

Christina Horton
02-20-2010, 10:28 AM
Sorry Christina, after reading my thread, i can see the confusion. From one blone to another... I shall try and explain...boy this is going to be a looooong night:D:D:D

The Daughter was making reference to her observation of me in nail polish, then asked the question "So why doesn’t daddy wear nail polish?"

The mother's reply was telling her that I was the one that was wearing nail polish because I am a rocker...

So how is my blonde explaination:tongueout

All cleared up.

Karen yes it's not a bad way to look at us but like was all ready said it would be nice if we could teach all that we " like " to wear that " stuff ".

If it were me I would have said to the mom " it's because I think it's pretty ". The little girl would not think it weird cuz she like it and the mom , well she might think something else. I don't care what other people think so I might tell them I CD and all. I had ( before I lost my job of 11.5 years ) had long painted nails and no one save for women would say anything. So