PDA

View Full Version : Need some encouragement

StaceyJane
02-20-2010, 02:20 PM
I've been thinking about going to my next therapy appointment as Stacey. Now this would only be my third appointment with this new therapist but I have already shown here her my flikr pictures and my youtube videos so she knows where I'm at as far as dressing. At my last appointment we talked about the fact that I was underdressed at during the appointment and she told me that I coud feel free to wear whatever I wanted. I told her that I probably wouldn't go dressed because I wasn't ready to be dress in downtown Georgetown, Tx.

Now I've rethought this some and I am thinking about going dressed. My therapist office is located in an old fashioned town square. Literally right across the street from city hall. There is free parking right in front of the office so I would have to go far. Also the weather forecast for Tuesday morning when I have the appointment is awful. Rain with temps in the 30's possibly snow. so probably not a lot of people out.

The main this is I'm trying to get up the courage to go out as Stacey and so far the only time I've gone outside is from my car into the building where there was a Tri-ess meeting so there were other CD's out.

I might not do this. I don't know if I have the guts. My other option which I did discuss with my therapist would be to be underdressed and put on my new shoes in the office which she had wanted to see.

Any warnings, advice, or encouragement?

Deborah Jane
02-20-2010, 02:26 PM
Your therapist is already aware of you as Stacy and has said she doesn't mind what you wear, If I were you I would go for it, although dress to blend in and not attract unneccesary attention

Go for it Stacy and good luck:)

wanda jackson
02-20-2010, 02:31 PM
Since I live in Texas, I understand your concern about going out in Georgetown.

Be careful!

Tranny Tee
02-20-2010, 02:49 PM
Pull up your big girl panties and do it. By starting this thread it showes that you really want to go out. Being nervous about it is completely normal. It will be a great experience for you, have a good time.

KandisTX
02-20-2010, 04:35 PM
Been there done that. I went to my appointment with my therapist here in Houston about 8 years ago dressed conservatively in a skirt and blouse with hose and heels and make-up. Appointment went well, in fact she was quite impressed that I felt comfortable enough with her to show her that side of myself.

Kandis:love::rose2:

JustWendy
02-20-2010, 04:36 PM
Stacey - if you dress conservatively like your avatar picture, you should have no problem blending in. In your heart, you know you want to do this and it would probably be valuable for your therapist to see the real you. Good luck.

Wendy

CamilleLeon
02-20-2010, 06:16 PM
Do it.

You'll have such a rush by the end of it. You have every right to walk into your therapist's office, no matter how you are dressed. The first step's the hardest, but you'll be glad you took it.

Cathytg
02-20-2010, 06:23 PM
Yes, do it. You might want to call ahead and leave your therapist a message about what you are doing if you think it would be appropriate. But do it anyway.

Stop off and have a chocolate shake on the way home.

Granny Gray
02-20-2010, 07:05 PM
G'Town, TX may be as reactionary Republican as any place, but the last time I was there, I had lunch in a Tx-Mex place on a corner of a square in the middle of the town. I was fully dressed top to bottom. Now I've been doing this a long time so I do NOT appear self-conscious or ill at ease, and I'm sure that makes a difference in some cases. But, I had NO QUALMS and NO PROBLEMS in Hicksville... er, I mean G'Town. I would suggest you dress like a straight laced old maid, put on your most PRIM PROPER FACADE and keep your laughter at those you encounter inside so it's your private joke. Now, just down I-35 in Austin around the University of Texas campus things are much more open and free. Lot's of good folk there even if you are an Aggie Fan. (Don't worry... Texans on this board will understand.)
We "different folk" tend to blow things out of proportion in terms of what other folk will think, say, or do. As a child at the beginning of WWII (our involvement at least) I heard our President Roosevelt make a famous statement. It's as true now as it was then. He said, and I still hold it as truth for us "special" folk: "The only thing we have to fear is FEAR itself." I encourage you to be true to yourself and make the most out o this life. You only have one shot at it. Granny Gray

Faith_G
02-20-2010, 07:38 PM
Go for it! :Poke:

My first appointment with my therapist was only about my 4th or 5th time out, and it was about a month after my first outing. I was super nervous walking in from the parking lot and waiting for the elevator - OMG, what if someone gets in the elevator with me! :wn: But everything went OK and my therapist made me feel very comfortable. I felt so good afterwards I stopped at the grocery store on the way home. :happy:

It gets a lot easier the more you do it. :hugs:

StaceyJane
02-21-2010, 10:18 PM
Now that I've got myself all psyched up to do this a Winter Storm Watch has been issued for this area which means I may not have the appointment at all. :(

P. S. If you check out the first youtube video on my signature you will see what I'm planning on wearing.

bigmack61
02-22-2010, 04:00 PM
I live in Georgetown and have been an admirer of CD's as long as I can remember. Most people here aren't as bad as they can be made out to be. After all we have one of the most liberal colleges in the nation here. I'd go to lunch with you, you look great.

minalost
02-22-2010, 04:11 PM
No matter how hard it is I think you should see your therapist whiled dressed. How else can she understand/help you if she doesn't meet BOTH sides of you? I'm not saying you're a split person, but how is she truely to know how comfortable (or not) you are with your fem self if she doesn't see you this way.
Just my :2c: and I've never been to see a counselor of any kind.
:hugs:

StaceyJane
02-22-2010, 04:16 PM
Now I'm already to go. I've got my outfit picked out and ready to go. I emailed my therapist telling her that I wanted to do this and she said ok.

The problem is the National Weather Service is predicting 4 inches of snow tomorrow!

This is Central Texas. The odds of snow on any day is almost zero so why does the only snowfall of the year have to be tomorrow!!

StaceyJane
02-23-2010, 10:45 AM
My appointment was cancelled due to bad weather.

I get to try again tomorrow!

EnglishRose
02-23-2010, 10:53 AM
Figures huh! Cancellation due to snow in Texas, whatever next, a warm February in Massachusetts?

I have a therapy appointment today. It's only my second and I came out to her last week. I was very pleasantly surprised that she knew that TG is such a diverse area, even though I'm seeing her primarily for other reasons. I did pick a female therapist though because I never felt I could come out to my first one, a man, a couple of years ago.