PDA

View Full Version : Another valuable lesson of acceptance.

Nicole Erin
02-20-2010, 07:36 PM
I have some neighbors that are pretty "country".

Well, I got to talking to one of them yesterday when I was out messing with my new [-]Ford[/-] junker, anyways the subject of GLBT did come up.

I said, "yeah people think I am fruity enough as it is.." long story short - he was like "people do judge a book by the cover, you are wearing some pink, you look like a girl, you dress like a girl.. so people just assume..." of course in a conversational manner, but he was saying he has some gay friends and really, the things he said, I knew he was not ignorant.

Of course we got to chatting about other things, but it was just kind of weird, I mean the guy is pretty big, has a beard, drives this big ol pickup,

So what did I learn? First, I learned once again that *I*, yes, Erin, have a lot to learn about judging books by their cover. Also, figured out something I heard years ago - it is easy to hate based on looks but usually you get to talking to someone and find out they are just normal people and you end up thinking highly of them. Might I say for my neighbor, his job is actually something quite noble and caring. I don't know what it pays but he is providing a service that a lot of people could not do.

So he said in an honest way that I look like a woman. He also had a hard time believeing I am 35 years old. :D He is early 20's and I thought, "Well, maybe the next generation *is* less ignorant than even the 30 somethings"

It is just weird, it is like you cannot know people just by looking at them.

Well, we were chatting a while, I won't bore you with all the details but these things above stuck out in my mind.

Man I don't know, I just wish I could shake some of my own prejudice.

Brandi Wyne
02-20-2010, 07:56 PM
Yeah, well think about the 50s and up set and how they look and judge others. I've learned a lot recently about people and some of it is good and some not so good. Love who you are and be what you can be. Life will present opportunities and obsticals and it all adds to making life interesting, if not always fun.

Hugs,

Evangeline
02-20-2010, 08:01 PM
you can't judge a book by its cover,sometimes there is a surprise at the turn of every page. bit like life really.

pattyv
02-20-2010, 08:53 PM
We are judged by our own judgements. We never expose ourselves more than when we are judgemental.

kellycan27
02-21-2010, 12:59 AM
Hey Nicole... maybe he was trying to bust a move on ya. :heehee:

Kel

Nicole Erin
02-21-2010, 09:30 AM
Hey Nicole... maybe he was trying to bust a move on ya. :heehee:

Kel

OH come now, I thought it was called "Getting his mack on". :heehee:

Charlena
02-21-2010, 09:55 AM
After working commercial construction for 34+ years I think the younger generation is a whole lot more tolerant and less judgemental than the 19`70's and 80's. There are a lot of good young people out there...But never say never or always say always.