PDA

View Full Version : Thin on top

Natalie x
08-10-2005, 11:17 AM
I know quite a few sisters are growing and styling their own hair instead of wearing wigs. I would really like to do the same, and have started to let it grow. The trouble is, like many men, as I get older my hair is going thin on top and has a bald patch towards the back.

Does anyone else have the same problem? How do you overcome it? Do you just ignore it, or are there, like, little wigs that sit on top to cover that bit, or what?

urban gypsy
08-10-2005, 12:40 PM
I wish I could grow my hair to be able to style it but i have had it cut very short for so many years. that it seems odd to grow it and its is also starting to thin on top. but with so many nice wigs available why bother. think ebay.

Mx Justina
08-10-2005, 01:26 PM
If you have signs of male-pattern balding or even general hair thinning...try a diet change including some experimentation with certain herbs like Saw Palmetto). The type of testosterone-related body chemical (d-something or other-testosterone...can't immediately recall specific name)...is what mostly inhibits hair regrowth and makes follicles become dormant... Also help your blood to circulate and reach body extremities more efficiently (excercise).

Reasearch the use of pharmaceuticals such as topical monoxidil for help in regenerating dormant follicles. Some of these items may be over-the-counter available.

The above is really lifestyle changes (not quickie-fix suggestions).

J.

Olivia
08-10-2005, 04:21 PM
Natalie, being bald, in my case, came with the family name. All the men in our family are follically-challenged, lol. I wore my hair shoulder-length for more than 20 years I guess, but sooner or late, those old genes just caught up with me. Without my own hair to grow and style, I have to wear a wig or some kind of head wrap, ie. a "do rag" tied around my head. I guess it's just as well, as I couldn't really have long hair in the career I have now. My biggest problem with a wig is that there isn't enough of my hair to pin it too. Keeping it on securely can be a problem. Later, Olivia.

susandrea
08-10-2005, 05:24 PM
If you have signs of male-pattern balding or even general hair thinning...try a diet change including some experimentation with certain herbs like Saw Palmetto). The type of testosterone-related body chemical (d-something or other-testosterone...can't immediately recall specific name)...is what mostly inhibits hair regrowth and makes follicles become dormant... Also help your blood to circulate and reach body extremities more efficiently (excercise).

Reasearch the use of pharmaceuticals such as topical monoxidil for help in regenerating dormant follicles. Some of these items may be over-the-counter available.

The above is really lifestyle changes (not quickie-fix suggestions).

J.

I JUST read an article where a woman said her hair loss problem was totally reversed when she started taking the daily requirement of ZINC.

Nutritional deficiencies will cause hair loss (as well as over-dosing on supplements, too!).... and there is another supplement called Shen Min that is supposed to help a lot-- I'd research it all on the web and maybe ask a nutritionist.

Natalie x
08-10-2005, 05:50 PM
Thanks, girls. I will look into the various points you made. My diet is quite well balanced, with a good deal of fruit and vegetable, which I think help to provide trace elements such as zinc, but I may try a suppliment. Saw palmetto was part of my herbal hormone regime until recently, so I think I will restart that.

I guess I should be thankful that I still have a reasonable amount of hair at my age. My dad had a full head of hair right up to when he died at 83 years old. Mine is not that good, more like my grandad on my mum's side, but not terrible. Olivia, I feel for you.
Hair plays such a major role in defining how we look, especially if we are trying to look feminine. My favourite wig is quite long, and changes my face as soon as I put it on. I don't know anything about fixing wigs, though, Olivia - any tips?

DanaJ
08-10-2005, 06:10 PM
Look into getting one of those "Redi- Hair" things. They are called different names, but basically they are like a clip-on Pony Tail wig. I know lots of GGs that use them :)

Here is a link to get you started: Redi-Hair (http://www.beautytrends.com/cgi-bin/C256414C/mac/qryitems.mac/itemDisplay?lenSgDsc=4REDIRedi%20Hair&qryType=GRPSG&group=ADDON)

DanaJ

P.S. Hey Natalie, I've been meaning to ask you - in your avatar, how did you take your pic standing on the ceiling? :D

Mx Justina
08-10-2005, 06:54 PM
One last personal note on genes and diet...

I have two male, close, blood relatives which have male pattern balding (both individuals were straight and non-CD, with one older and one younger)... I donot have male-pattern balding... I do believe that lifetime dietary choices made significant differences between me and my two relatives... Having an androgyne identity may or may not make a tangible difference...though emotions and state of mind can be powerfull influences on the body.

J.