PDA

View Full Version : The value of unacceptance?

Wen4cd
02-23-2010, 03:30 PM
I like to say "I've come to self-acceptance' but it feels false. What is the function here?

My issue can possibly be stated like this:
"One can not achieve self-acceptance, because it negates the process of living. If you accept yourself, you've stopped growing, or trying to grow, something which you should never do. You should never fully accept yourself, and never can. Total self-acceptance is something for your death-bed, and must only be achieved as the final lights begin to dim, otherwise, you've given up somewhere along the line."

However, I could possibly die in ten minutes' time. My brain could spontaneously hemorrhage as I type this sentence. (Phew!)

Is it 'parts?' You accept one or another 'content' of the unconscious as you go along, always knowing that there is more to achieve? Or is 'acceptance' a temporary meditative state that you experience and strive to achieve the ability to 'go into' when you need to? The third eye? It feels like it in the moment, for sure. But it still does not negate growth.

I 'accepted' that I was CD long ago. I had no conscious guilt of what I was doing in that arena. But I was also resigned to a meaningless existence and death, and it wasn't until I looked back and examined the thing that I had to force myself to NOT accept the way I was, and delve for deeper meaning. I CD'd, sure, but that did not mean that I was living anywhere close to full potential in the rest of my life, which tormented me. I had no career, no joy, no purpose.

CDing was a 'behavior' I did. It was harmless and meaningless, so I thought. I was wrong on both counts. It was harmful, but the harm came because I viewed it as meaningless. It was a fruitless waste of time, a diversion, distraction. I couldn't accept wasting time anymore, and something happened, some self-awareness grew out of it. All I had to go on was the fact that CDing was one of the only things I'd done, consistently, for decades, while most other interests came and went like the wind. It had to have meaning.

I stopped accepting my CDing as being a 'personal' thing, something I just 'did' that should not be questioned by anyone. I started to look for universal themes that applied to why I dressed. Otherwise, it would make me feel alone, even among other CDers.

And then I found a whole sea of darkness underneath of it. I found that the 'reason' I dressed was due, in essence, to a 'larger problem.' but that this 'problem' could be termed 'the human condition.' Dressing ceased to be a harmful diversion, and became the window to the soul, where personal strengths and answers awaited. It jived with what I was reading from Jung. The anima is the inner personality that faces the unconscious universe, and through it, one can explore that world with a guiding hand. I had to come out of myself as this personality, and become it, integrate it.

I told my lower-self, who I once was, while dressed in the mirror. 'I am going to take over your life. I am everything you fear, and you must give it up to me, so the totality that is us can live."

And that was terrifying for 'him.' It meant the death of his ego. But at the same time, 'he' understood the truth and necessity of it, and yielded to me. He was a CD. I am not, of you get me. He was a stereotype which I seduced and put to final bliss, devoured through a process. He was the shadow, the personal unconscious. Now he's my 'quiet little friend,' instead of me being his. It works much better this way, just a rearrangement of the pieces on the board.

Suddenly CDing was no longer a diversion, but a 'spiritual pursuit of truth.' A therapeutic tool of growth and self-exploration. At first, to call myself a CD, meant that I wanted to dress like 'a girl.' Makyo, stereotype, false for me. It was not me. A non-fit. I can't dress like "a girl." It means nothing. I can only dress as called to dress, for whatever reason, pursuing whatever vision called.

A year ago, I mostly dressed like a 'clown,' closer to what I was seeking, in imagery, but still unable to word, and still an ill-fit. Clowns are archetypes of one's inner creatures, but I was still holding to a bit of the stereotype, and had not honed "MY" inner archetypal creature to where it's image did the job required. (A lot of 'growth,' for me, is essentially in coming to experience the collective archetypes hiding behind and masked by the personal stereotypes.)

But nowadays, when I dress, I dress like my 'spiritual/astral body.' Or of the anima image personified and transferred onto self, or the inner self, or something...something not influenced by opinion, rationalization, or conscious effort to be something else. And it all makes sense to me, somehow. This fits more than the previous iterations, and forces one to search and be honest with oneself. I am growing, I think, towards higher spirituality and wholeness, and service. My life is fuller today, and I am on a path to having a career doing something I was always fascinated with, and I am happier, and those around me are happier,

...But it was all for finally NOT accepting myself in the original form, for not accepting the community's 'reasons' and labels and pidgeon-holes, but instead painfully challenging and examining myself from all angles I could muster. (I became quite the masochist about facing painful things.) Challenging and working through the personal unconscious to reach the collective one, so to speak. Being able to relate to other people by touching the empathy of how we are all the same person, once we get past the personal darkness.

Is that 'acceptance?' Is it 'embracing yourself,' or insanity? :D How can you accept yourself if you don't yet know yourself? And how can you come to know yourself if you're busy trying to blindly 'accept' without looking?

Now, it seems that my only option, the one that feels the most 'right' is to no longer see 'myself' at all. I have to keep a balance of focus outwards , and 'accept' (that word again, lol) what is directly reflected back from others, as a real part of my identity. I am contented that I can see this, but is it acceptance? Not really, I think.

From another point of view, though, accepting the existence of a 'content' is but the first step to integrating it and putting it to work for you. Maybe one is not destined to fully accept oneself, but only to bring more and more into awareness.

"Gimme gimme shock treatment." :)

mklinden2010
02-23-2010, 04:02 PM
Well, it seems you argued artfully around your point - to come to your point.

Acceptance is not resignation or surrender, it's seeing that what you do and who you are... Are really the same thing in this instance - and then acting (more) in harmony with your realized self as you go forward in life with this knowledge in mind.

The story of the ugly ducking comes to mind.

"I thought something was wrong with me. Turns out I was just missing a few facts that better inform me about who I am and what I am going to do"

Andy66
02-23-2010, 04:19 PM
Interesting. Thank you for this.

Joanne f
02-23-2010, 04:22 PM
Just because you accept what you are does not mean that is the end , you can accept what you are and enjoy it or you can accept what you are now and say "i would like to change it" or you could even accept what you are and say " i am going to be the best at what i am " which would mean that although you accept what you are you are going to work at it and not just lie down and die.

Kate Simmons
02-23-2010, 05:30 PM
Seems we came basically to the same conclusions using different avenues my friend.:)

Wen4cd
02-23-2010, 06:02 PM
Ok, thanks for the inputs.

What I am hearing is that, in this arena, 'accepting yourself' is being seen as synonymous with 'knowing yourself,' which is the term I tend to prefer.

I don't think people can 'accept themselves' to my standards, or my current definition. It's not the word 'accept' as much as it is the intangible 'self' that causes the chaos. "Accept, to me, implies, satisfaction, 'good enough' which cannot apply to a dynamic, intangible concept such as 'self.'

I think people can accept 'aspects' of themselves. People can embrace 'roles' they perform, duties which give rewards, service-mindedness.

But the subjectiveness of the matter of 'self' does sort of require a point of view outside of the 'self,' or the ego-image, the 'objective observer' POV, which, by nature, is likely non-judgemental, and cannot like or dislike. It can only observe, and tell you what will make you happiest or most fulfilled.

This is almost the basis of the Western 'God' archetype. Your self-acceptance ultimately hinges on whether or not you are serving what it unconsciously tells you is best, which you must examine and refine through self-knowledge and purification, if I am thinking straight.

Wen4cd
02-23-2010, 06:15 PM
Seems we came basically to the same conclusions using different avenues my friend.:)

"All roads lead to Rome," heehee. I'm glad to hear you chime in on this one, D.

Hope
02-23-2010, 08:55 PM
I am reminded of test pilots.

Stick with me on this one.

There is a weird loophole in the law regarding test pilots. The law works like this: in order to fly an airplane, you have to be certified and rated to fly that type of airplane. Seems pretty reasonable right? Just because a person might be competent to fly a Cessna 152, it does not follow that that same person can safely fly a sea plane, or a blimp, or a lear jet, or a 747, or F-15, right? So before you are allowed to fly a sea plane, you have to go and fly a sea plane with an instructor, take a check ride, and prove that you are capable of operating the aircraft in a safe and competent manner. Same thing for the blimp, the lear jet, the 747, and the F-15.

So a weird thing happens - some pilots like to go out and rack up as many ratings and certifications as they can. They don't want to be professional blimp pilots, but they want the Blimp rating on their pilots certificate, so they can show their buddies. And the sailplane rating, and the seaplane rating, and the hot air balloon rating and the rotorcraft rating, and the twin engine rating and the Ford Tri-motor rating, and the gyro-plane rating and on and on and on. You get the idea.

But what happens when there is no one around who is rated to fly an airplane? Maybe it is a antique airplane with unusual controls and the pilots who used to take to the air in these things in droves are all dead, or perhaps it is a brand new airplane with an entirely new flight control system that literally has never been flown before? No one is allowed to fly the airplane without the rating - but where can one go to get the rating? No one can prove that they are competent to safely fly the airplane... no one has done it before. No one can teach you how to fly the airplane... but it must be tested just the same. How does this happen legally?

Well it turns out that the FAA has issued a catastrophically small number of airman certificates that (instead of listing all the ratings the particular pilot has instead) say quite simply "All ratings and certifications." You have a brand new Wipper-Snapper 1000 with quantum impulse drive? That guy has the rating required to fly it, legally (he might still turn your fancy airplane into a smoking hole, but at least no one is going to jail).

Why do you care? What does this have to do with self acceptance?

Just this: real self acceptance isn't about going through life learning every new bit of information about yourself and then learning to accept it, constantly running on a the hamster wheel of growing, learning about yourself, and then learning to accept that one aspect of yourself before you grow again - finally winning the battle only moments before death - if then. Real self acceptance is learning to love yourself - your complete self - no matter what that turns out to look like - or how it changes over time - unconditionally. It's the difference between trying to rack up ratings, just for the sake of ratings, and having that golden certificate that simply says "All ratings and certifications." It's the difference between saying "I like XYZ about myself" and saying "I like myself." Sadly - just like the "all ratings and certifications" certificate - that sort of self acceptance is attained by very few.

Wen4cd
02-23-2010, 09:39 PM
^I hear you. But I fear those 'very few' are what is known as 'sociopathic.' People who can kill without warning, harm without remorse, act without conscience, because they can like themselves, no matter what they do, unconditionally. I am sure such an archetype lives within all of us. I'm just not sure I wish to constellate it in myself.

AllieSF
02-23-2010, 11:48 PM
Hi Wen,

Maybe your thought process is at a much higher level of understanding and analyzing than mine. However, I think that maybe this higher level process may just complicate a very simple situation. Why can't we accept ourselves with our known areas of needed improvements? I do know more about who I am now, accept who I am and really like who I am, period. I also know that there are areas that need improvement and I strive to work on them at my own pace. Life goes on, we experience and learn new things and adjust our thinking and ourselves as we go along. I definitely do not want those improvement areas to dominate my thought process and way of living. However, they can play an active part in improving and/or changing who I am for the better. Why should I worry so much about it? I am not a sociopath, psychopath and any other type of path, that I know of. I refuse to let too much thinking and worrying interfere with my life now. I may be in one of my most happiest and self-accepting stages of my long life and I do not see the need to mess it up with over thinking and the resulting worry. With all the pressure to live and succeed in this world, it is just nice to actually participate in things that I put aside during those other busier days and truly enjoy them. I am not saying that you in particular are over thinking this, but you may be. Is this a hypothetical question to encourage all of us to think deeper about who we are and where we are, or is it an issue with which you are seriously struggling?

Wen4cd
02-24-2010, 01:32 AM
Allie,
I'm often just trying to get my head around acceptance, individuation, integration, etc. I do have a bad habit of 'overthinking' things, but it may be that I was hurt, as a youngster, by people who were oversimplifying things, refusing to let too much consideration interfere with their good time, and I don't want to repeat the cycle, and hurt someone else in turn. And also, in this case, it's got a feeling element.

I'm chill with the idea that one can accept 'aspects' of themselves and still find room for imporvement. I guess it's just a question of 'how satisfied is enough?' I need to accept enough to function, of course, to give myself the means to always be making more improvement.

But, as you rightly say, it's all quite meaningless of you can't stop and smell the flowers, and that I do.

docrobbysherry
02-24-2010, 01:36 AM
While I agree with MOST of your salient points, I think in many ways, I've passed thru the, "thinking things thru", phase of my life! I'll tell u why.

I was angry and frustrated during my teen and early 20's, and was "fooled" by my subconscious during the War. For years after, I tried to figure things out.
I FOUND the answer FOR ME! I simply wanted to be happy!:)

In my late 20's, I began to do things that made me happy. Whether anyone else approved of them, or not. When I worked, I tried to be successful! I found when I was, it made me happy! And, as got older, there became fewer and fewer things that I had ever wanted to do, that I haven't done! Re-doing old tasks, and re-visiting exotic locations that once made me happy, didn't any more. :straightface:

Then, in my 50's, I discovered CDing! Which makes me VERY HAPPY!:D

And, I have no idea why! :brolleyes:
After 13 years of CDing, I still deal with CD guilt. I still think of Sherry as some strange and lovely apparition! I certainly have not internalized her or accepted what I do! I know my subconscious is VERY involved in all this. But, have received no conscious clues! I'm still not aware of any "female side".
I KNOW there's more to my CDing than meets the eye! But, the longer I enjoy dressing, the less I think/worry about the personal, curious "reasons" that I do!:eek:

Because the secret of life for me is, to do what makes me happy! And whether or not I understand the reason(s), is becoming irrelevant!:straightface:

Andy66
02-24-2010, 02:04 AM
We are all of diffferent ages, with different needs. That doesn't mean anyone is necessarily over-thinking or under-thinking things. We are all just trying to do what we feel we need to do.

Having said that, Wen, I appreciate what you wrote. It made me think about other areas of my life.

Hope
02-24-2010, 02:22 AM
^I hear you. But I fear those 'very few' are what is known as 'sociopathic.' People who can kill without warning, harm without remorse, act without conscience, because they can like themselves, no matter what they do, unconditionally. I am sure such an archetype lives within all of us. I'm just not sure I wish to constellate it in myself.

Really? You have to be a sociopath to love unconditionally? Really?

For the record, a sociopath is a person incapable of empathy, going through life unaware that others have emotions, matter, or are even real. They can act unpredictably, and are able to kill without remorse not because of their own self acceptance, but because others don't matter.

What you have described is a narcissist. Someone who is so infatuated with their own greatness that they not only are convinced that they can do no wrong, but that they are also supremely important.

Because both are distortions of reality, I am not convinced that either one is capable of the sort of self acceptance I am talking about.

Joanne f
02-24-2010, 06:05 AM
You almost talk about acceptance as if it is a negative force whereas i would say that not being able to accept yourself is a negative force and accepting who or what you are is a positive force which you can build on .

Kate Simmons
02-24-2010, 06:22 AM
I think what Wen understands is that the "force" itself is impersonal. It is we ourselves who, upon utilizing it, give it a positive or negative character. Balancing those polatities is part and parcel of our purpose.:)

Joanne f
02-24-2010, 08:02 AM
I think what Wen understands is that the "force" itself is impersonal. It is we ourselves who, upon utilizing it, give it a positive or negative character. Balancing those polatities is part and parcel of our purpose.:)
I would have to agree with you on that most things in life are impersonal and it is up to the individual whether they make it a positive or negative thing, the key to happiness thinking positive .:)