PDA

View Full Version : Presenting as a woman

Emma England
02-26-2010, 09:08 AM
I have recently sent an email to two department stores regarding bra fitting.

They have both said that they are happy to accommodate provided that I am presented as a woman.

What does this mean though?

Most women that I see shopping dress just in jeans and shirt.
If I did this, I would still look male.

So what does presenting as female mean to you?

By the way, this has nothing to do with being nervous as I am not bothered what people think.

Loni
02-26-2010, 09:13 AM
i would say it means, do not show up in grubbies sagging to show a crack, and unshaven for the past three days.:eek:

i would say it would say to show up with your face on, a nice wig (if your nat hair is no good), dress or slacks, so long as from the womans dept.

......aka: looking like a lady.

:2c:

Diane Elizabeth
02-26-2010, 09:17 AM
I could only guess what they are meaning....That would be that you are appearing as a woman.
They will think what they want and there is nothing anyone can do about it. I have been told that it is none of my business what others think of me. I am still workiing on accepting this as I have always worried what others would think or say about me.
Good luck with your fitting. I have not had one yet. But hope to sometime this year.

Sally24
02-26-2010, 09:44 AM
I would say the common meaning of "presenting as a woman" would be that the casual observer would think you were a woman. Clothing is not the most critical thing as you have already observed that most people of both sexes just wear jeans and t's to the mall. Since it's a bra fitting you would be assumed to be wearing your breast forms. Also long hair (natural or a wig) in a feminine style. And of course the most important is how your face appears. It should be absolutely hair free, including the oft forgotten ear and nose hairs.:eek: At least light foundation, heavy if you've got a beard shadow to cover. And then some neutral or pink lipstick and a little blush or bronzer to give you something other than a monotone face.

You don't have to look like a show girl or model but you should be trying to look attractive in a low key kind of way.

Good luck and have fun!!

jenifer m.
02-26-2010, 10:51 AM
you can still go in jeans and a tee,just do your makeup,put on your wig (if you need one)throw on some flats,grab your handbag,and go go go! sounds more comfortable than doing it up to the nines any way.

Sheila
02-26-2010, 10:56 AM
They have both said that they are happy to accommodate provided that I am presented as a woman.

What does this mean though?

Emma it means dressing as you would present as a woman if you were going to shop dressed as fem ................ in other words no 3 days growth of beard, hair and make up done as you would for a daytime outing.

gabimartini
02-26-2010, 11:07 AM
I agree with the previous posters.

Go dressed as you would not to be seen as a "man in a dress" by the general public. That would mean a close shave, makeup, wig, breast forms, skirt, etc!

Good luck!

Lora Olivia
02-26-2010, 12:40 PM
Emma it means dressing as you would present as a woman if you were going to shop dressed as fem ................ in other words no 3 days growth of beard, hair and make up done as you would for a daytime outing.

I think as transgender we must go to the extra mile...no 5 oclock shadow...otherwise just as has been said...much like the 2 ladies in Sheila's avatar

Emma...I dont see a man in your avatar...put that woman in a nice cardigan and a womens jean with some nice embroidery and maybe a pair of brown suede scrunch boot with a 2 1/2" heel...hmmm nope I still see someone presenting female

Kate Simmons
02-26-2010, 01:04 PM
Evidently it means looking like a girl to most folks.:)

Nigella
02-26-2010, 01:27 PM
Why not ask them what they mean? :love:

Personal experience has been to go to the shop, get measured and fitted, buy and leave. No issues.

Cathytg
02-26-2010, 03:00 PM
I have always assumed that presenting as a woman means simply looking as much like a woman as I possibly can. It doesn't only apply to woman; I guess you could present as a soccer ball if you knew how to totally round.