PDA

View Full Version : Most unusual way you have broken a nail...

JackieInPA
03-02-2010, 12:45 PM
I broke one the other day when i dropped a sword!

victoriamwilliams1
03-02-2010, 12:49 PM
A sword!

Mine was setting up for a job and I hit a table! Broke it back to the skin! ouch

Christen3042
03-02-2010, 12:52 PM
Missed the hole in a joist hanger while using a pneumatic nailer. The ricochet centerpunched my thumbnail, but the acrylic nail only cracked (probably saving me a trip to the ER!)

thechic
03-02-2010, 12:54 PM
Drop a sword.
I broke one 2 weeks ago, putting a ladder on the roof of the van,
and did i get upset.:2c:

kaitlin
03-02-2010, 01:05 PM
I was.....well, we are into bondage and toys, after closeing the last lock my wife placed the key in my hand and said "if you can get it in the lock, you might not get drove crazy"! I broke two nails (fore and middle on my left hand) trying to twist the lock around. The effort failed!

Teri Jean
03-02-2010, 01:34 PM
Does taking a section off with a 4 inch grinder constitute a broken nail? My acrylic nails have been the great source of conversation for my nail technician and myself. I have hit them with a hammer, jammed them, they do not work as pry bars and drill bits will go right through them (luckily not flesh has been involved as yet). So if that fits the bill, yep done that and have the T-shirt.

Teri

DonnaT
03-02-2010, 02:17 PM
Putting laundry in the wash machine!

Karen564
03-02-2010, 02:38 PM
:oWell, Clumsy me was slicing veggies & sliced my thumbnail clean off in the process.....And Yes, I was Very upset with myself...But at least it was just the nail & Not my fingers....

Andy66
03-02-2010, 02:48 PM
Do toenails count? A horse accidentally stepped on my foot while I was wearing sandals some 25 years ago. The big toe nail has never grown quite right since. :doh:

AliceJaneInNewcastle
03-02-2010, 07:30 PM
Years ago, I was using a large air drill when the bit caught in the job and spun the body of the drill just hard enough to push a little plate around the trigger into the end of my middle fingernail, splitting it almost all the way to the cuticle.

When I tried to hold anything with that hand, the edges of the nail would dig into the nail bed, so I took a trip to my beautician, who laid about 3 or 4 layers of fibreglass over the split, reinforcing and immobilising it while it to grew out. Since the nail was prevented from flexing, it grew out without permanent damage. :)

Charleen
03-02-2010, 07:34 PM
Demonstrating how a flint lock pistol works.

Jason+
03-02-2010, 07:41 PM
While loading a truck with a pallet jack the handle slipped and folded one in half backwards. Unfortunately this didn't break it, having to fold it back down flat did. :censor: that hurt!

Phyliss
03-02-2010, 08:04 PM
I know what I'm doing, I thought as I held the board, rather than clamp it on the bench, and proceeded to cut it with my circular saw.

Golly, that was a whole bunch of blood that squirted out. Held it back in place with some tape until it stopped leaking. Three years later the nail is almost right again.

Diane Smith
03-04-2010, 03:16 AM
I closed a heavy filing cabinet drawer once with my hand slightly overlapping the top edge of the drawer ... sliced off three acrylic nails in one stroke, just as neatly as any nail tech could have done it at the salon.

- Diane

Mirani
03-04-2010, 03:31 AM
My nails know when I am going out somewhere special. They must know, because 1 or 2 will break the day before or that day.
Opening a car door; picking up a shopping bag; putting cutlery away; picking up my laptop. :(

It's a consriracy!

Keely
03-04-2010, 06:18 AM
Starting the snow thrower. Right index finger.

Joanne f
03-04-2010, 07:08 AM
I have this habit of trying to undo screws with my thumb nail, never works but some people will never learn :heehee:

JustAlex
03-04-2010, 10:06 AM
I lost a whole nail inflating a bicycle tire. I was using a compressed CO2 cylinder but it was kind of hot after 6 hours in the trunk of my car under the summer Sun.
The high pressure hose had half an inch thick walls but, bent down and with the hot CO2 flowing, the outer wall gave way. To make matters worse, there was no valve, just the one activated by screwing the hose in place. I started unscrewing it as soon as I see the bubble growing. Too slow, too late, too bad, the brass nozzle snapped from the tire valve, the hose acted as a spring projecting the nozzle all the way around to hit my nail just in the middle. My finger ended up swollen twice its normal size and my nail fell off clean. It took more than a year to fully grow back.

As unusual ways to loose a nail, I consider this one on the top ten, among being bitten by a zombie and taken hostage by aliens who need your nail for DNA analysis.
But I have to say that the nail didn't actually broke.

The reason I remember this event so much (besides the extremely painful experience) is that my grandma came to me while I was barely able to breath and said "you should be glad it didn't hit you in the face". I loved (and dearly miss) the (weird) way she always found reasons to pick yourself up and move on.

Kendra Irene
03-04-2010, 11:17 AM
Being to lazy to go get a screwdriver for a 10 second job. Another thumb nail broke.

joank
03-04-2010, 11:20 AM
I lost a real thumb nail when I hit it with a shoeing hammer while putting shoes on the rear left hoof of a horse. The horse jerked just as I was driving the nail hard to pop it out of the side wall. I lose glue-on nails all over the ranch and just gave up on them because of that.

Imogen_Mann
03-04-2010, 01:49 PM
I keep breaking my right thumbnail on the radio tuner stem in my car, the knob fell of ages ago (10 years or more) and I have yet to replace it.

Offers of free knobs will be graciously welcomed.

I also once broke a nail throwing BBQ'd pork fat to a magpie.

Solarhawk
03-04-2010, 02:52 PM
I also once broke a nail throwing BBQ'd pork fat to a magpie.

LOL!! I think that one has to win it! I've only broken a nail twice, and don't remember either time, as it was a pretty normal situation to break a nail... other than me laughing and telling my room-mate I just broke a nail. The look on his face was priceless.

Jesse

Kathi Lake
03-04-2010, 03:33 PM
There I was, on the roof of my house in 110 degree weather, taking the old shingles off so the roofers could put a new roof on. I was using a shingle-shovel. It's kind of like a snow shovel with a wedge on one side. You slide it under the shingles and press down. One time when I pressed down, I felt a sharp pain. I thought I had pinched my finger between the handle of the shovel and the roof. I kind of shook my hand in pain and noticed that a piece of tar paper was fluttering along with my hand. I pulled the tar paper, thinking that a gooey piece had stuck to my finger. That's when I noticed the nail sticking right through the tar paper - and right through my middle finger. Ouch!

My wife, of course, made me get a tetanus shot immediately.

:)

Kathi

5150 Girl
03-04-2010, 04:34 PM
How's about 'rastling the tranny in my truck. (had to do a new clutch)

My nails know when I am going out somewhere special. They must know, because 1 or 2 will break the day before or that day.
Opening a car door; picking up a shopping bag; putting cutlery away; picking up my laptop. :(

It's a consriracy!
I hate when that happens!!!!

danielle.cd
03-04-2010, 09:15 PM
i broke mine iceskating when i was twelve with my own iceskat landed right ontop the thing split my middle finger nail right in two, damn that hurt was all that i could think but i catch that nail on every thing now and it rips like half my nail off everytime

PretzelGirl
03-05-2010, 01:46 PM
Mine break a lot without me knowing. Utah is dry climate which works against me. They do get a lot of breaks and uneven wear from work, where I am outside year round.

But the frustrating ones are from when I am bowling (my favorite hobby). It seems every week it happens at least once. Right as I release the ball, I can feel that snap and a large chunk is gone. Then everyone is looking at me while I break out a kit and clip the break away and file it smooth. I probably have the best manicure kit in a bowling bag. :D

Genifer Teal
03-05-2010, 05:56 PM
One time I gently tapped a nail straight down on the counter and it split. Another time I was removing lug nuts with an air wrench and the rubber glove got caught on the socket and wound tight enough to break one.

Gen

JillMarie
03-05-2010, 09:16 PM
In the shop usually. Hooking & Unhooking trailers seem to always take a toll either a nail or a bashed knuckle. and once charging my AR-15.

Jill