PDA

View Full Version : TS Female Vet

Teri Jean
03-02-2010, 07:25 PM
As I have said in the past, I had been quite involved in the American Legion and VFW in my home town and district. When I decided to transition and got help from a gender therapist I felt it was time to let the family and the veteran organizations I belong to know of my plans.

When I sat down with the commanders separately there was support even though they may not fully understand. so for the past 5 months I have let them get use to the idea and then the other day decided to visit my home post. The response was warm/cool as some were okay with it and some not so but civil. Then this past Friday a member from the other post asked if I wanted to go out for drinks. Ivy and I are long fast friends and her husand was curled up in front of the TV so we took off from her work and headed to her post.

After a couple brandy and waters we decided to go out for something to eat. We went to a local spot for the LBGT community and had a bite to eat and enjoy the music. Two vets, one gg and one tsf, out having a good time after the weeks work is done. The point of this thread is that even though there is the perception that veterans are old school and very non-accepting. To an extent it is true but no more than the general public. I would say the AL, VFW, MCL, DAV and the VV of A has been accepting and inclusive to a point. There will be members who do not and others who are accepting.

So to all you Vets who CD, transitioning or have transitioned; :thumbsup: :hugs: :love: and :drink::drink::drink: :) Teri

sherri52
03-02-2010, 07:34 PM
That was good that you came out to the clubs, you get to see how they feel. I no longer belong to the VFW because I don't drink and that's all they did there. I haven't joined the one where I am now yet and it is dry. We are still in farmland and I'm not about to come out to them but many of my friends know; mostly GGs.

Billijo49504
03-02-2010, 07:46 PM
Good for you, congrads:love: Have a cold one on me....BJ:drink:
ps turned 21 in Feburary of 68, just as tet was starting. we got clobered.

christinek
03-02-2010, 08:48 PM
Congratulations,

I am a disabled vet, but I get along OK. I would not want to come out to them, it is a hard road at the moment. However I am surprised at the option in the works that gays can be openly gay in the military. I am not sure it is the right answer but its not my answer either way.

We have always been in the military we have just not had a voice.

docrobbysherry
03-02-2010, 08:53 PM
When u revealed your plans, I feared the WORST!:doh:

Judging solely on the type of folks that inhabit our AL!

By the by, I thot all ALs sold food?
The food at ours is good and reasonable. :)
The booze, of course, is REALLY CHEAP!:drink:

MAJESTYK
03-02-2010, 09:35 PM
Teri Jean glad it's going as well as it is.Wonderful that you have found such a friend.

Me? 1980's Marine, started my transition about six months ago. Hardest part ahead , finding a job!!!!!!