PDA

View Full Version : Key West Vacation

LongLegs Michelle
03-02-2010, 11:50 PM
Hi all,
So I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a hotel for my wife and I to stay in Key West. Of course, I want to go full time as Michelle so a "alternative style" hotel is what we are looking for. I found some info and review on the internet but does anyone have personal experience?
Thanks!

NathalieX66
03-03-2010, 12:11 AM
I can't recommend any hotels to stay, but I love Key West. ( I take the ferry back to Ft. Myers because I'm such a sissy loser).
I guess Duval St. is the place for alternative lifestyles, though I'm gonna guess that gay is gay, and that TG doesn't always fit into the typical gay scene from I've seen there. There's gay, and then there's alternative, and Key West Seems to attract the gay Ernest hemingway crowd, and the Jimmy Buffets. It's progressive, but not exactly Castro San francisco or Greenwich Village New York City. All I know is that, for me, I'd rather hang out with the Renn Faire pirate crowd and get loaded up up on rum and wander the streets in a pirate costume blitzed on rum, but that's me. That's how I found myself on Mallory Square twice.

April Renee
03-03-2010, 01:32 AM
I would recommend doing a little online search to see where you could get the best rate for a hotel but while your there be SURE to get a slice of Key Lime Pie..dipped in chocolate,frozen and on a stick its a real treat. And be sure to check out the sunset @ Mallory square very beautiful.
April

Rogina B
03-03-2010, 09:40 AM
Everywhere is expensive,no one knows you and who really cares there anyway?? Key West has always been a collecting point of the different! Dress as you like and enjoy your time there.:2c:

Sarah Doepner
03-03-2010, 10:13 AM
The last time I was in Key West I decided to take my Femme things with me the next time. We stayed in a B&B within walking distance of Duval street and it gave us easy access to everything that I wanted to see. You may have to pay a little more per night to have your own, rather than a shared bathroom, but beauty isn't cheap. If you drive down, also a treat, the B&B should have parking for you as well. Then you can put on your comfortable shoes and enjoy the surprises you will find there.

When you go be sure to hit the Flamingo Cafe for a late breakfast and have the crab omlette!

sonna
03-03-2010, 10:32 AM
when i went there 2 years ago nobody cared about nothing. everybody there is on vacation even the people that live there are on vacation. duval st is a good place to go. if you cant find it on duval st then open your eyes

have a good vacation

Melinda G
03-03-2010, 10:43 AM
I've been going to Key West for over 30 years, but more for the sailing and Jimmy Buffett scene. Be sure and get some Conch Fritters at Mallory Square, and some homemade ice cream at the place on Duval street. Don't pay $20 to park downtown. If you don't mind walking, you can park on sidestreets free, especially down toward the south end of Duval street.

Key West is very tolerant of alternative lifestyles. But I can't really say I've ever seen any crossdressers. But lots of obvious gays. The gay scene is there, with their tea houses and theatre scene. But I have to say, they are not so obvious in recent years. I used to see many gays walking down the street holding hands, arms around each other, etc. But not in recent years. It's just a guess, but the tourist bureau may have had a talk with them, and told them to tone it down.

I'm not sure what some of you have in mind for going en femme in Key West, since the dress is mostly shorts and flip flops for both men and women. Sort of a unisex outfit. In all my years in Key West, I have never actually seen a crossdresser. Enjoy Key West for the weather, the sailing and fishing, food and sunsets. Crossdress if you like. But if you go to Key West just for crossdressing, you may be disappointed.

And then there's Fantasyfest in October! Probably the best opportunity for crossdressing. But all the hotels and motels for a hundred miles around are booked more than a year in advance.

Stephenie S
03-03-2010, 11:40 AM
As has already been mentioned, just about anything goes in Key West. But seriously, how do you plan on CDing? It's quite warm there and very informal. Shorts, T-shirts, and sandals is the uniform of the day. Just go and enjoy yourself.

Stephie

LongLegs Michelle
03-06-2010, 01:22 PM
Hey all! Thanks for all the tips and suggestions!

I live in the Fort Lauderdale area and have been to Key West many times in boy mode and have seen just about everything but always stayed at the big resort places so I was hoping someone had a line on TG friendly hotel. My friend satyed at the La Te Da hotel and they have a Drag show and nude roof. No guests were dressed, mostly gay couples, but what the hell, i can't see them being mean.

About the weather in Key West....IT IS FREEZING IS FLORIDA THIS WINTER! Key west was only in the 60's the other day, and as other FLoridians can attest, anything less that 80 is cold. I think it was in the 40's last night (that is heavy sweater/wool coat weather here).
Anyways, I have many day dresses that i wanted to wear, along with nice shorts/skirts/top combos. Its freezing again today so we may wait a few more weeks for the weather to get better!

BTW-Sunset fest at malory is the best but i heard the cat guy is no longer there.....I'll let you know how it goes.

Melinda G
03-06-2010, 01:57 PM
The Keys have had the coldest winter on record. It's March, and still the cold persists, with highs in the 60s and lows in the 40s and 50s.
The Keys have always been subject to cold fronts. But they usually only last a day or two. Then it warms back up to the 80s. But not this year. It turned cold in December, and has pretty much stayed cold.