PDA

View Full Version : tolerance levels and risk

GingerLeigh
03-03-2010, 05:44 AM
After reviewing one of my last posts, I thought it would be interesting to see what others have had to put up with, or what risks they had to take to keep their secret just that, a secret.
I almost blew it yesterday when I left the computer on and didn't clear the history!!!!

Ginger

ReneeT
03-03-2010, 09:12 AM
As I become more comfortable expressing my femme side they are more opportunities to leave clues around. My wife knows but kids don't. I was using my wife/s laptop on Sunday, searching for support sites for SO's. IN the midst of that the battery died and i could not find the cord. I forgot about it, until my wife came in the other night and reminded me that my web pages popped up when she plugged the computer in . OOOOPS!!

victoriamwilliams1
03-03-2010, 09:19 AM
Clearing the computers history is not the only thing I used to do, I used to clear the cache! however with "In Private" that information is not stored and anther good thing to do is get your own computer.

When I leave town on business I do secure my clothes and hope nothing strange happens in the storage area to have them found!

I have also switched to Chrome on my computer and anther thing is if you have email accounts make sure you tell them not to remember you or save the passwords!

I have also turned off the auto complete in the URL area because that can get you in trouble as well! I will say since IE has the private mode I do not worry about it as much.

Another word of caution is if you watch youtube and trans videos, you will find that even when bnot signed on they will suggest those videos for viewing! they are not the only ones who track you so if you are on a family computer just be careful and use in private.

sometimes_miss
03-03-2010, 09:37 AM
I suppose a really smart detective could figure out that I'm a crossdresser if they spent enough time figuring out all my web connections and web comments over the years. But it would be pretty pointless. I almost got cought once by someone who spotted a plentyoffish profile I had up, because the profile 'sort of' fit me and she made a few comments that indicated to me that she connected me to that profile which had openly listed crossdressing as one of my descriptives. Since then, I've been much more diligent about putting anything into online profiles that anyone could connect with the real me. There are enough subtle irregularities; slightly different height, weight, age, location. Nothing way off, but nothing is exactly me. So when I create a profile, if I'm really 50, I say 49 or 52 or something. Weight changes by 10 pounds either way. Height is a couple inches shorter. Occupation is changed from my exact one to just something scientific. Interests include generic ones but also include my own. It's enough to avoid being targeted. To avoid any connection at home, I have a private mailbox about 10 miles away, and have all packages and mail sent there.

kimdl93
03-03-2010, 11:08 AM
I'm out to my wife, and the kids have moved out, so its not much of a hassle anymore. I used to clear the history and temp files. Now I don't bother.

docrobbysherry
03-03-2010, 11:40 AM
Every time I close it, the "history" disappears!:D

And, it DOESN'T reappear when I open it again!:)

sherri52
03-03-2010, 11:58 AM
When I was married I didn't use the computer. After work (mailman) I would come home and play with the kids (eight). I didn't have time for the computer, I was lucky I had time to go to the basement or attic to dress. Now I live alone with no one to bother me.

johnboy23
03-03-2010, 12:43 PM
Where I live I am the minority. So I have to be super careful when going out dressed. I always dress in the house then put sweats on then get in my car and don't un-dress until I am either at my destination or close to it. When I am in the house I am sure to make sure that the blinds are closed and the curtains have no opening. I don't think it is a crime area but im sure it would be if my neiighbors found out.

ソSophieフィ
03-03-2010, 01:17 PM
I haven't been fully dressed yet, but I get the impression that most of my friends and family would be fairly accepting of it - I think that some would expect it of me anyway. This is because there are some types of womans clothes I constantly wear, such as trousers and coats (plus I do my hair in a very feminine way anyway.) This either solicits a light shake of the head (from parents) or a jokey, camp 'oh you!' from friends.

That said though, being fully dressed is a completely different level... Whether they expect it or not, I'm sure most would rather I didn't do such a thing (which is why I haven't expressed the desire to do so anywhere but here. Thank heavens that I own my own laptop!)

Alexei
03-03-2010, 01:43 PM
On my youtube account, I disabled suggested videos. Also, Google tracks everything that anyone does with its services, so I do all my CD related browsing on IE, and everything else in Chrome, so if someone is watching me use the internet, nothing comes up. It shouldn't really matter, but I'm convinced that Google is going to take over the world pretty soon, if only because they have more money than God.

On the other hand, we all have to realize that anything you do on the internet isn't secret. Security through obscurity only goes so far.

Kimmy55
03-03-2010, 01:53 PM
http://www.theonion.com/content/news/google_responds_to_privacy

Frédérique
03-03-2010, 04:52 PM
After reviewing one of my last posts, I thought it would be interesting to see what others have had to put up with, or what risks they had to take to keep their secret just that, a secret.
I almost blew it yesterday when I left the computer on and didn't clear the history!!!!

While my laptop was being repaired, I used my sister’s computer to post here. I had to be careful to cover my tracks when I got through, erasing my history and explaining why I had accessed the character map (for the accents in Frédérique). “I was writing something that needed a certain level of accuracy, sis…” :heehee:

When my sister comes upstairs into my domain, I hide my femme garments (especially anything pink), cover the TG pictures on the wall, and put everything CD-related out of sight. She would be receptive to my alternate lifestyle, but I just like to keep things hidden – I do this with my artwork, too, since I don’t like to show anyone what I’m working on until it’s done and READY to exhibit. You see what I want you to see...:)

sherri
03-03-2010, 06:14 PM
what risks they had to take to keep their secret just that, a secret. Actually, I think the surest way to keep a secret is to not take any risks at all, or at least the fewest possible, but where's the fun in that? :) Seriously, it's all a calculated risk, right? I tell myself that every time I step out the door. And if a gurl can't handle that, it might be best to just find something else to do.

All I can say is we have to be ever vigilant, minding our p's and q's. I've been at this for nigh onto a decade now with no serious mishaps or repercussions. I can't decide if that means my tactics are solid or I'm overdue for a boo-boo. :D

Starling
03-06-2010, 04:58 PM
I suppose a really smart detective could figure out that I'm a crossdresser if they spent enough time figuring out all my web connections and web comments over the years. But it would be pretty pointless. I almost got cought once by someone who spotted a plentyoffish profile I had up, because the profile 'sort of' fit me and she made a few comments that indicated to me that she connected me to that profile which had openly listed crossdressing as one of my descriptives. Since then, I've been much more diligent about putting anything into online profiles that anyone could connect with the real me. There are enough subtle irregularities; slightly different height, weight, age, location. Nothing way off, but nothing is exactly me. So when I create a profile, if I'm really 50, I say 49 or 52 or something. Weight changes by 10 pounds either way. Height is a couple inches shorter. Occupation is changed from my exact one to just something scientific. Interests include generic ones but also include my own. It's enough to avoid being targeted. To avoid any connection at home, I have a private mailbox about 10 miles away, and have all packages and mail sent there.

Jim!

God, I hope that isn't your actual boy name. I use an external hard drive, Firefox for dicey-looking and adware-filled sites and (free) CCleaner to wipe out my tracks. Thing is, your ISP keeps a record of all your online activities. Most of the time that doesn't affect us, but if we break the law or otherwise attract the attention of someone with access to the ISP database, then there is no such thing as privacy. But I'm not paranoid. No, ma'am.

:heehee: Lallie

Starling
03-06-2010, 05:29 PM
As I become more comfortable expressing my femme side they are more opportunities to leave clues around...

It's a comfort that your wife is so mellow about your femme side, Renee. Now, having experienced her acceptance do you think you unconsciously would like to out yourself to others in your "straight" circle?

I think I would, though I'd want to present myself better before "opening wide." It would entail risk, but I'm only planning to live once.

And if I did come back--who knows what awaits?--I don't think I'd care what gender of carrot I was.

:) Lallie

dawnmarrie1961
03-06-2010, 06:16 PM
Ginger, ever decision bears with it an element of risk taking. Some people weigh the negatives against the positives before making a selection. Others just say "What the f..." and jump in feet first. I prefer to wear heels.That way if I screw up at least I can say "I looked good doing it".

Be safe. Be smart. (obey all traffic signs.)

Dawn Marrie

jenifer m.
03-06-2010, 11:42 PM
i guess im lucky in that sense cuz i go on this forum right in front of my wife,and she usually says nothing.if any thing i just get a head shake from her as she walks away.im not sure she likes me being on a forum so much.but she says nothing if i go into the bathroom mirror and put on makeup right in front of her or wear skirts,and heels around the house..i guess she doesnt like my forum.who knows?

Lynnda1951
03-07-2010, 01:24 AM
Here is a cheap and reasonably safe way to keep your webtravels secret, if your computer has easy access to a USB port . Get a USB thumb drive with at least 2 gigabytes preferably 4 gigabytes. That's cheaper than a new wife or girlfriend if you get caught cuz that's all you will be spending.

Go to http://portableapps.com/download and download their Lite suite to the USB drive. Unless you want a full fledged office suit like MS Office then download the lite version. Run the setup routine. FireFox will be setup and ready to go. Start Firefox then set it up to startup in the privacy mode. Except for a few registry readings left behind when you quit, you will leave nothing identifiable behind. Then go to the applications page and download the folllowing --->

http://portableapps.com/files/images/logos/eraser_16.png Eraser Portable (http://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/eraser_portable) - securely delete files and data
http://portableapps.com/files/images/logos/eraserdrop_16.png EraserDrop Portable (http://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/eraserdrop_portable) - easily secure-erase files and data

Any files or documents you want to destroy ... use on of these. They take longer that the recycle bin but no one can recover them. Or store your documents on the on your thumb drive. Use the menu to quit and eject the drive. Remove the drive then stuff it somewhere, anywhere but stuff it away. You can jerk the drive out quickly but you might damage any or all programs but .... they are free, remember. :D :D :daydreaming:

Geezz, typing with long fingernails is a real treat when your not used to it. :eek: :2c: Keep the 2 cents. Advice is free and without warranty.

GingerLeigh
03-07-2010, 06:06 AM
Lynnda,
Thanks again for the sage advice! I'm going to give it a try...

Ginger