PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me or.... ??

Imogen_Mann
03-03-2010, 07:38 PM
Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed the trend towards message threads on here that have a primary message that is simply too good to be true (or a lie as we call it).

Threads talking about the most far fetched contrived happenings, daughters outing their dads and being 'totally cool' and their teen friends discussing their bras at the breakfast table in front of adults.... Bank clerks who can't believe you're a Mr.... You look 'that fem' when you're out.

Come ON !!! Give me some credit when it comes to spotting BS when it's being served up to me.

I've been away from the forum here for a long time, and now, having returned to it for just a week if that.... I find I remember why I decided not go away.

I know I sound cynical... It's true... because I AM cynical. I also know I will probably get a heap of "you are 'so' wrong" messages too... I don't really care. Let me leave you with this... Next time you read a thread, ask yourself if it's true... and then ask yourself again... if it's REALLY true or do you just wish so hard that it was true (maybe even that it would happen to you), that it starts to look true even though it's obvious, and utter cods wallop.

I'm not saying it's everyone... But face it... It's happening.

Shadeauxmarie
03-03-2010, 07:39 PM
Sometimes truth is strange than fiction. Sometimes, it's just fiction. C'est la vie!

Chris'spastime
03-03-2010, 07:42 PM
I am skeptical too. I am of the opinion that your BS meter is probably working just fine.

Fab Karen
03-03-2010, 07:50 PM
Someone lying about their child's understanding would be a pathetic person- people tend not to go there regarding their children, I'd be shocked if that was the case.
Some people ARE understanding/supportive, it's not a totally hate-filled world out there.

sherri52
03-03-2010, 07:52 PM
I think much of what you here is true. For those that are out and about quite often they meet the same people all the time. These people have gotten to the point of making compliments just to put a smile on your face. A GG friend of mine has seen me dressed in about thirty different outfits. I don't feel that I pass ( I dress too young for my age). She has still made it a point to tell me how beautiful I look on numerous occasions without being asked. She has done the same in my opinion. I know of at least two of the stories you have mentioned and believe both.

TxKimberly
03-03-2010, 08:04 PM
Are you saying that people fib on the internet?! Nah, say it aint so!

AllieSF
03-03-2010, 08:18 PM
If you thinking someone is not telling the truth, why not just tell them in a nice way, of course, and see what happens instead of making such a broad accusatory statement? I have recently read all of the instances that you mentioned above, and from reading a lot of threads by the same person, I do believe her. Some of the others may not be true. However, I didn't feel that way after reading the posts and so I can easily accept what they wrote as true. Instead of looking at the BS side of everything, try the positive and more trusting approach. You may find a cure for your cynicism. These are public posts where they are not selling anything and you are not buying anything, and no one gets hurt. So why get up tight about it?

Tamara Croft
03-03-2010, 08:47 PM
LOL... I know exactly why you started this thread :devil: and it's so true!!! My :BS: radar is pretty good... 12 yr old kids talking with their friends dad about the bras they bought?? LOL... and I'm the Queen of Sheba ;)

Bethany38
03-03-2010, 08:50 PM
If you thinking someone is not telling the truth, why not just tell them in a nice way, of course, and see what happens instead of making such a broad accusatory statement? I have recently read all of the instances that you mentioned above, and from reading a lot of threads by the same person, I do believe her. Some of the others may not be true. However, I didn't feel that way after reading the posts and so I can easily accept what they wrote as true. Instead of looking at the BS side of everything, try the positive and more trusting approach. You may find a cure for your cynicism. These are public posts where they are not selling anything and you are not buying anything, and no one gets hurt. So why get up tight about it?

Thank you Allie, u saved me from a lot of typing.

AmandaM
03-03-2010, 09:11 PM
It's just you.

TNRobin
03-03-2010, 09:14 PM
Well, sometimes my BS meter gets pegged, but I read what I read and if I don't like it I just find another thread.

I love confrontation and debate at times, but when I'm here I'm here to relax, not question.

Froggy's Angel
03-03-2010, 09:15 PM
All I know on the "bra" thread is that there is NO WAY IN H3ll that I or my friends would have sat there discussing our underwear or bras in front of my dad or my friends dads.
It would have felt creepy to me as a teenager to have a grown man not only be standing there listening to our talking about boys and bras but also embarrassing.
And why on top of that did this person know the size of the 12 year old friends bra???

Samantha_Smile
03-03-2010, 09:28 PM
Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed the trend towards message threads on here that have a primary message that is simply too good to be true (or a lie as we call it).

Threads talking about the most far fetched contrived happenings, daughters outing their dads and being 'totally cool' and their teen friends discussing their bras at the breakfast table in front of adults.... Bank clerks who can't believe you're a Mr.... You look 'that fem' when you're out.

Come ON !!! Give me some credit when it comes to spotting BS when it's being served up to me.

I've been away from the forum here for a long time, and now, having returned to it for just a week if that.... I find I remember why I decided not go away.

I know I sound cynical... It's true... because I AM cynical. I also know I will probably get a heap of "you are 'so' wrong" messages too... I don't really care. Let me leave you with this... Next time you read a thread, ask yourself if it's true... and then ask yourself again... if it's REALLY true or do you just wish so hard that it was true (maybe even that it would happen to you), that it starts to look true even though it's obvious, and utter cods wallop.

I think this stuff occasionally too, but I guess how much you read depends upon how long you spend here.
A lot of it does seem far fetched, its true and when it seems to serve no purpose it annoys me.

However.
Some posts like the ones you mention about coming out to/being found out by your children, if not true and a sweet reminder that there is tollerance and acceptance out there, then at the very least, it's a lovely confidence builder for people to find tollerance and acceptance.
It encourages one to believe that the world isn't a totally cruel place, some bits are, but not all.

Hell, if someone had told me 6 months ago, that by the end of february my fiance would find me out, then in less than 48 hours of this, take me shopping for my own dress and underwear, then days later, buy me more underwear, a skirt, blouse, makeup, costume jewelery and a wig. Then where we are now, I am allowed to dress around the house when my fiance is around (occasionally), then to last weekend, she bought me a new skirt, a top and a pair of shoes (they only JUST fit, but a good learner pair of heels all the same) She's even given me clothing that she doesnt wear anymore....

I would have said that was BS.
It's true, some things are stranger than fiction. The world is a big place and levels of tollerance will vary by country, region, street and person, so don't be too quick to call BS.
No two people are the same, no two stories will be the same.
But of those two stories, one may be lies/embelished truths.
It's just like anything you read on the net, or in a paper, or see on TV...
Yeah, it could be a pack of lies, but don't assume that is by default not true.

I sit here now wearing only clothes which my fiance has bout me, not becuase she bought them for me, but because she got me everything I have.
And I dont just mean clothes, I mean everything. I mean my life is all for her, and I think that is my point here.
I think the stories that always seem the most truthfull are the ones where real love is either assumed or un-doubted by the reader.
Love conquers all.
I love you Emma
-xxxxxxxxx-

Sweet Jane
03-03-2010, 09:31 PM
oh, so there's finally someone as cynical as me here (laughs)

"Back in the garage with my bullshit detector
Carbon monoxide making sure it's effective
People ringing up making offers for my life
But I just wanna stay in the garage all night"

Tamara Croft
03-03-2010, 09:36 PM
These are public posts where they are not selling anything and you are not buying anything, and no one gets hurt. So why get up tight about it?Because they hurt the forum, that's why. This isn't a fantasy board, it's for support. If people want to post fantasy, they can go find a board that supports it. This board sends out a message to people, that we are here to support them and it doesn't look good when people make up silly stories like that. :thumbsdn:

Sara Jessica
03-03-2010, 09:39 PM
If I see a post that's clearly untrue from what I can tell, I will call the person out on it or simply ignore and move on. I have ony done the shout-out a few times and I've yet to be proven wrong. That said, your broad statement is rather unfair. If you don't believe something in particular, then address that situation as opposed to creating an inflammatory thread like this.

Kathi Lake
03-03-2010, 09:47 PM
Far-fetched and contrived, eh? OK, I'll bite.

Instead of feeding your troll-like tendencies masquerading as cynicism, let's turn it around. What if the incidents were true?

What if someone's daughter was raised right - to be tolerant, to be accepting - and to think that if her dad wanted to wear earrings and maybe wear a dress that it wasn't the end of the world. That it was OK.

What if some kids were discussing things at the table, and in a fit of girly enthusiasm, forgot that dad was in the kitchen and talked about bras?

What if I did go to the bank Monday, and received the responses that I put in the post?

Just because you haven't received acceptance or friendship doesn't mean that no one else has. There is no reason to have a post like this except to make yourself feel better by tearing others down. Thank you, but if you have a crappy attitude, please don't share.

Kathi

(and I get banned for having a bad attitude in 3 . . . . .2. . . . . )

Tamara Croft
03-03-2010, 09:54 PM
Thank you, but if you have a crappy attitude, please don't share.As opposed to yours? :straightface: got a lil' attitude going on there yourself ;)

(and I get banned for having a bad attitude in 3 . . . . .2. . . . . )Don't make me smack you... wait.. no I'm gonna smack you :slap:

Froggy's Angel
03-03-2010, 09:55 PM
In fairness Kathi Lake, it was more than some girls
"in a fit of girly enthusiasm, forgot that dad was in the kitchen and talked about bras?"

It was CREEPY, the poster said that the daughters friend looked right at him and said that he should wear a bra with them.
The post made me and my partner both think it was inappropriate.

My partner is MtF CD and would NEVER sit and watch my daughter and her friends have intimate conversations about their underwear,
let alone know what size her friends bras were!

Stephanie Miller
03-03-2010, 10:01 PM
I thought to myself... Wow, someone needs a drink :doh:
That is until I kept reading. And low and behold.... right here in the same thread I think I found out what he was talking about. A big fat fib.

Come on Tamera - you're really NOT "the Queen of Sheba", are you? :heehee:
You're much too pretty.

Kathi Lake
03-03-2010, 10:04 PM
As opposed to yours? :straightface: got a lil' attitude going on there yourself ;)Well, yeah. A little one. :)

Sorry, but being called a liar - especially when it is untrue - kinda hurts.

Don't make me smack you... wait.. no I'm gonna smack you :slap:Ouch! Hmmmmmm, not bad! :)

In fairness Kathi Lake, it was more than some girls
"in a fit of girly enthusiasm, forgot that dad was in the kitchen and talked about bras?"

It was CREEPY, the poster said that the daughters friend looked right at him and said that he should wear a bra with them.
The post made me and my partner both think it was inappropriate.Understood, Angel. My point is I think going to Wal-Mart is creepy. Others don't seem to have a problem with it. :)

The world is filled with people - very different people. What is creepy to one is normal to another. Someone trying to say the world is wrong because it doesn't fit their expectations - that's where I have an issue. Who among us likes to be pigeonholed?

On the bra issue, I have worked with youth, well, . . . pretty much since I was one. There were times when girls did dress the leaders up - bras and all - at summer camps, etc. I didn't see it as perversion, but innocent, goofy fun.

Kathi

Tamara Croft
03-03-2010, 10:08 PM
Well calling someone a troll for having an opinion is wrong also. Let's just say this is true, which I highly doubt it is, that person had NO business posting it on an open forum for everyone to read. It made him sound creepy, talking about 12 year old girls and bras... seriously... Girls do not talk about personal things like that with their parents, let alone someone elses dad... and it has no business being on this board either, it's wrong.

Argh..... STEPHANIE!!!! ... goddamit... repeat after me... t a m A r a!!! :slap: naughty corner for you!! Queen of giving you a smack... hows that :raspp:

PetiteDuality
03-03-2010, 10:13 PM
I agree that there might be a lot of BS in the forum.

The thing is that I think that it's impossible to know for real, and we should not start a witch hunt looking for liars. We might be wrong in some cases, and since this is a support group, it wouldn't be fair to accuse of lying a sister because we don't believe a story, or had a particular uncommon experience or just doesn't have great writing skills.

IMHO, those innocent "casualties" would be a bad example of CD/TV/TG support.

Sweet Jane
03-03-2010, 10:30 PM
maybe the boards should come with a warning

...."wear gumboots if you don't wish to sully your heels as chances are you'll be knee deep in bullshit before you leave"

yeah, that should fix it!....now whats next?

oh, and btw, i have no worries with people stretching the truth a bit, after all i come here to be entertained, and some threads are just that......until they are spoiled by an early demise

JaytoJillian
03-03-2010, 10:34 PM
are you saying that people fib on the internet?! Nah, say it aint so!

lmao!

Cristi
03-03-2010, 10:45 PM
My personal BS detector goes off whenever I read a post by somebody about how they 'passed' for days outside shopping with nobody knowing they were not a woman. They they talk about how totally out they are at work, friends and family and how so many people accept their dressing.

...but they won't post a photo as their avatar.

I read most posts here as truthful at the core, but perhaps just 'enhanced' a touch.

PS: Jayme. I appreciate and share your sceptical mindset. I personally think the world needs more sceptics to debunk some of the **** that we are starting to drown in.

Rachel Morley
This is a touchy subject to be sure, and it's subjective because it's about how a person believed a situation was. I think I know some of the posts you are referring to and I must admit they do seen a bit "boasty" (if that's a word) but let me tell you this, truthfully, if I was to tell you some of the things that have happened in my CDing life you would totally think I was BS-ing you and that it should be on some sort of TG fiction site. But believe me, sometimes the truth really is stranger than (or the same as TG) fiction! :)

Karen564

To be honest, You really don't you need to put too much thought into it...
Yes, there's a ton of BS floating around, and it does immediately stick out like a throbbing sore thumb ...BUT, is it really that big of a deal ?

Although I do see the downside to this for the ones that are so gullable...

But as long as you & others here can recognize the difference between :BS:fiction & some embellished :BS:non fiction..then I think it's best to just turn the channel & move on to something more real or if it's something that really strikes a nerve, then say what you need to if it calls for it......

If it's Total :BS: and harmful, just watch how swiftly our fearless :TamaraCroft: Leader/Moderators deal with it accordingly if they see it as detrimental to the common good of the site & it's patrons..

btw, I think your radar is working fine..
:hugs:

Andy66
03-03-2010, 10:49 PM
I agree that there must be a certain amount of b.s. here. But then again, some of the strangest things really can happen.

For example, a T-girl applied for a job where I work recently. To me she was obviously a T-girl... but the naive Personnel Manager was shocked and amazed to find out that she was. (BTW, I didn't out her, she outed herself.)

I didn't read the teenage bra thing so I can't really comment, but let's just say I have my suspicions.

Kathi Lake
03-03-2010, 10:51 PM
I think I know some of the posts you are referring to and I must admit they do seen a bit "boasty" (if that's a word)Sigh. Ouch.

PretzelGirl
03-03-2010, 11:12 PM
It seems to me that the people that go out with confidence do tend to have the tales that others may or may not believe. That would be because it isn't within their experience so it is hard to place yourself there. That is a fairly normal reaction.

I think there are ways to tell more what may be fact vs fiction. Obviously, people can build up credibility here. A person with a truly unbelievable story and 3 total posts doesn't carry the weight of someone with 4000 posts. As someone else mentioned, do they post an avatar or pictures in their profile (although I wouldn't put complete faith in this one as a sole checkpoint, sometimes privacy can still be a concern). Even better can be when they are out with someone else from the forum. Makes it more of a stretch to call that a fabrication.

But if you are around here for a while and the poster is also, it becomes pretty clear who is straight up with you. So it is mostly the new posters that it becomes hard to believe if it is really true.

Sweet Jane
03-03-2010, 11:24 PM
It seems to me that the people that go out with confidence do tend to have the tales that others may or may not believe. That would be because it isn't within their experience so it is hard to place yourself there. That is a fairly normal reaction.

I think there are ways to tell more what may be fact vs fiction. Obviously, people can build up credibility here. A person with a truly unbelievable story and 3 total posts doesn't carry the weight of someone with 4000 posts. As someone else mentioned, do they post an avatar or pictures in their profile (although I wouldn't put complete faith in this one as a sole checkpoint, sometimes privacy can still be a concern). Even better can be when they are out with someone else from the forum. Makes it more of a stretch to call that a fabrication.

But if you are around here for a while and the poster is also, it becomes pretty clear who is straight up with you. So it is mostly the new posters that it becomes hard to believe if it is really true.

sue...i'm out there with the best of them....from a distance (how far is a distance..haha) i pass as a woman, i think, simply because i get no reaction from anyone, however close up, its obvious what i am, and if i am ma'amed, its because of the good nature of the person, not my 'superpassability'

as for people telling stories of their interacting with their community dressed as a woman, yet won't put the photo of the woman they are happy for all to see at home on here, i'm doubly sceptical....we don't know them, do we?, but chances are someone in their community does

stil folks, don't quit the tales of your 'adventures' as it makes for some great reading, especially subsequent posts!

ReineD
03-04-2010, 03:07 AM
I've also read some stories here that seem far-fetched. There are lots of TGs who come here looking for support, but my SO pointed out to me years ago that there are others who come here because it is a much needed outlet for their fantasies. Their posts seem permeated with wishful thinking. I suppose this is also a form of support as it is a coping mechanism do deal with life circumstances in which these TGs may feel they cannot express themselves as much as they need to.

There is nothing wrong with an ego boost and there is no harm when it is all done in good fun and everyone realizes it is a fantasy since as mentioned, this can be a valuable coping mechanism.

It bothers me when these members pass off their stories as the truth and thoughtlessly cheer others on in their fantasies and encourage them to go further than what might be safe or realistic. This can set a younger or more gullible CD up for severe disappointment since it is taking advantage of their own wishful thinking.

Encouraging small and perhaps unglamorous but concrete steps towards progress is much better than promoting denial and rash behavior.

:2c:

Tamara Croft
03-04-2010, 10:10 AM
I've re-opened this thread, anymore OT posts, you'll get slapped...

letsdance GG
03-04-2010, 10:41 AM
If it looks like a duck....'nough said:D

Cassandra Lynn
03-04-2010, 10:45 AM
I consider myself a realist/pragmatist, and i have a world class sense of perception when dealing with real life ppl, but it doesn't work as well with the written word. I don't think of it as being a cynic or pessimist. When i see something that is most likely false, or sensationalized i grumble but move on. Although i certainly stand behind those of you who have taken the opportunity to bring it up. I also agree that calling someone a troll on this site is tacky to say the least.

But on the other hand what i keep seeing that i have to take this opportunity to bring up is the constant "advice" of the ladies on here telling others to "out" themselves to thier loved ones. I've seen it too many times....."just tell them/her" "quit being a coward and fess up" "go on what are you waiting for". Just plain wrong! I picture 2 mice talking about getting some cheese but there worried about a cat.....so one says to the other "you go ahead and go on out there and get it, you know you can, come on go,go,go". It makes me wonder where they are at with it in thier lives, are they sitting there in the closet telling someone else to do something they themselves won't do? :2c: mj

mklinden2010
03-04-2010, 11:19 AM
>>Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed the trend towards message threads on here that have a primary message that is simply too good to be true (or a lie as we call it).

>>Threads talking about the most far fetched contrived happenings, daughters outing their dads and being 'totally cool' and their teen friends discussing their bras at the breakfast table in front of adults.... Bank clerks who can't believe you're a Mr.... You look 'that fem' when you're out.

I think, from prior postings on the topic, that a large number of people here do review the things posted and do carefully think before commenting or moving on to the next thread.

Perhaps too many ARE moving on when they should heed that warning "flag" that momentarily pops into their mind.

I disagree that this is a support site exclusively and I don't think it's a site blindly interested in promoting delusions:

"Crossdressers.Com was created in February 2004 by the owner ‘Admin’ and his Tech Team."

HIS Tech Team...

That should tell anyone this might be a complicated ride...

I do somethings think that more postings ought to be moved to other sections that require a password, and a note of explanation, before allowing access to certain topics. And, I do think that some of those topics, or, types might be excluded or banned from this sight as inconsistent with explaining and supporting CDing, TG, and TS behavior. Some things get too close to behaviors that are seemingly not promoting an ultimately positive view of CDers, TG and TS persons.

Meanwhile, some of the postings, as noted, require a bit of background to sort between a "silly" story and a personal victory. I have no doubt that the bank gals were enthusiastic, I have some doubt if they meant to do more than support a particular customer/friend's interests. In other words, they're saying, "Good for you" without meaning, "Good for everyone else."

I think you also have to have some background of your own to sort through a story about 12-year olds discussing bras with older men present. That she said it, and she might very well have, doesn't mean you can go with a 12-year olds understanding of the world as a "green light" to live by... "Girlish" chattering might be recognized as just that and one might excuse oneself by saying, "Well, pardon me, but I think you ladies might need to talk about this among yourselves." One has to be aware that this conversation may come up later in her therapy as an adult; "Oh, why did he just sit there and let me prattle on? It's so embarrassing now. I why did "I" do that? "I" was a fool."

minalost
03-04-2010, 11:26 AM
I haven’t thought too much about the fact or fiction aspect of this site. I usually take MOST posts at face value, unless they are so totally out in left field that they are obvious fabrications. I usually don’t respond to the obvious BS, but they are sometimes entertaining. I also think admin does a good job of spotting and squashing anything truly harmful.

Photo vs. no photo: I tend to agree that someone with a photo is more believable than someone without a photo. You will note that I do NOT have a photo in my profile; it’s a work in progress. But I also don’t post any crazy stories; but every thing I have posted is true.

Bottom line, I don’t think we want to get TOO strict about demanding the unvarnished truth from everyone. Some people see life through rose color glasses and their interpretation of events might not jibe with yours, some people just need to vent, and some people need to fantasize about what they can’t get in real life.

Just my :2c:.

Kathi Lake
03-04-2010, 11:34 AM
I also agree that calling someone a troll on this site is tacky to say the least.Tacky? Perhaps. I still stand behind the phrase. Trolls delight in stirring up trouble and then moving along. Jayme said she was just going to be here for a little while. She then left a "parting shot" aimed at people she didn't agree with/believe. That, to me, is stirring the pot for nothing other than her own amusement/satisfaction. What do statements like that do to help us? Using inflammatory phrases like "lies" "contrived happenings" "BS" and "utter cods wallop" (whatever that is) in a post is nothing more than baiting, in my opinion.

Now, maybe I am too close to this situation, being one of the accused, and am letting my emotions get the best of me. If that's the case and I am overreacting, I apologize. No one likes being called a liar - especially if it is an unfair accusation. In my case, I believe it is.

Jayme, I may have to go back and reread my posts, but I don't believe that I have ever said anyone at the bank has told me that they didn't know I was a guy. They know I'm a guy. It's quite obvious. Not only do I usually go in there as a guy, but I have a face that not even a mother could love. I use my guy's voice and even my guy's name while out dressed. There is never a doubt as to my gender. I don't care. I'm having fun. I accept myself this way. That is what others tell me that they see. Yes, there are other comments on my appearance, but my emphasis is on our acceptance of ourselves.

Reine, I don't believe that I ". . . thoughtlessly cheer others on in their fantasies and encourage them to go further than what might be safe or realistic." Do I tell them that yes, they certainly can be accepted out there? Certainly! I've seen it time and time again. Do I try to "push them from the nest" too early? I certainly hope not. I'm not going to be one to say, "Come on. Get out there! Now!! You're ready. What are you waiting for?" At least, that's not my intent. I simply want them to know that when they're ready, that the world isn't as bad a place as they might think it is. That has been my experience, anyway.

MsMJSerene, I am definitely not one of those that thinks outing yourself is always the way to go either. If I did, then I would really be lying. My wife knows about me, but doesn't want to see or hear about it. I therefore keep her in the dark. There have been times when one of us almost breaks through the "embarrassment barrier" and brings the subject up, but it never happens. Do I like "lying by omission" to my wife. Not at all. It's what I consider the only bad thing about my dressing. I wish it were otherwise, but I am too weak to bring the matter up for discussion.

Kathi

bobi jean
03-04-2010, 11:50 AM
First off, just how many of you have sit and talked with (or listened to) young girls, or boys for that matter, lately? They do talk about stuff like that all the time, that's how they learn from each other. I agree that talking in front of, or to, "a friends father" is a bit odd, and maybe, just maybe, a little unbelievable, but personaly I have no doubt in my mind that it is a real possibility.
I do not have a daughter or a grand daughter that age but I do have two nieces within the age range we are talking (one 11 and one 13). they are sisters and on several occasions they have talked about their clothes, bras and even thongs one one occasion with me, my wife, their mother and father in the same room. Not directly to, or at, us but we were in the same room and it did not bother them in the least.
personally, I believe it is all in the way they have been raised. Not that I agree with all of it but they are very open and accepting of others. I have never heard either one of them say anything bad about anyone else except the older of the two made a comment about another skater (she is a figure skater) once and MOM immediately stopped that. She said " since when do we talk bad about others "?
JUST MY TWO CENTS WORTH ! ! !

OH, it's ok if you don't believe all of what you read, see or hear, that is what makes the world such an interesting place, don't you agree?
"STRANGER THINGS HAVE HAPPENED"
and that you an believe!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cassandra Lynn
03-04-2010, 12:04 PM
Yeah i agree Kathi, i have reacted in the same way on other forums such as this when i have been called out. It is not a pleasant feeling and you handling pretty good. :straightface: mj

Sheila
03-04-2010, 12:04 PM
If I had discovered my daughter had been having that type of conversation with a friend of hers dad and he had joined in, then sorry she would not have been visiting again ........... it is just plain creepy, most dads would run a mile from participating in conversations about bra's with their daughters let alone her and a bunch of mates .............. maybe I just know some weird dads

kimdl93
03-04-2010, 12:07 PM
I don't kow if its a trend. There have been a few threads that I may have doubted, but then I take pretty much everything on face value. OK, my wife says I'm oblivious.

VeronicaMoonlit
03-04-2010, 12:49 PM

No overall trend that I can see.

Bank clerks who can't believe you're a Mr

I believe you've misread that one, that's not what they said, considering that the person who wrote it went to the bank in "guy mode." They asked where "girl her" was, told her she looked faboo/stylish when en femme, that she had a great walk, yadda yadda yadda. Quite believable.

.... You look 'that fem' when you're out.

There are some very stylish/well dressed/fabulous looking folks here.

I know I sound cynical... It's true... because I AM cynical.

Excessive cynicism is a bad thing.

Happened, yes, but not so much. Any oldbie can spot it when it shows up.

but let me tell you this, truthfully, if I was to tell you some of the things that have happened in my CDing life you would totally think I was BS-ing you and that it should be on some sort of TG fiction site. But believe me, sometimes the truth really is stranger than (or the same as TG) fiction! :)

Yep. Here's a couple of imine:

1. The first time I went out in public in 2001, someone who knows me didn't recognize me and was wondering "who that woman was" until I spoke.

2. My avatar picture is from Thanksgiving day of 2005. Yes, I cooked Thanksgiving dinner in a dress, heels and pearls...with my family (mother, father sister). I was starting to make the deviled eggs and my father stopped me and handed me an apron, (because I had forgot to grab one) saying, "don't want to get anything on your pretty dress"

3. I was mistaken for an SO at Tri-Ess, "At first I thought you were an SO until I heard your voice."

4. I was told by a Lancome MA that I should be doing her job and that I should apply for a position.

5. Two separate professional image consultants at a Tri-Ess event asked me who did my makeup, and when I said I did, they asked where I had learned it, and said, "Don't change a thing."

6. My sister bought me a pretty silk dress for my birthday a couple of years ago, and she is the one who bought me my first book about "This thing of ours"

7. My Christmas stocking has both my [boyname] (which many people here have seen) and my [girlname] on it. My mother and sister made it for me.

8. A few years back I decided I needed some counseling about "this thing of ours" and did some sessions at a local agency. My counselor suggested I become more comfortable with "IT" and suggested I come to the sessions en femme, because it was a "safe place" So I did. The first time I was as nervous as heck trying to figure out what to wear so I chose what I might wear if I worked there: a short sleeve sweater, knee length skirt, tights and heeled loafers. So I'm out there and surrounded by other clients...and kids....and no one said a thing. I was worried about what my counselor would think of what I was wearing. So she comes to get me for my session and she is wearing: a short sleeved sweater, knee length skirt, tights, and heeled loafers. I just about lauged out of a huge sense of relief that I was dressed "right" and that both her and I had chosen similar outfits that day.

All of the above is true.

I think there are ways to tell more what may be fact vs fiction. Obviously, people can build up credibility here. A person with a truly unbelievable story and 3 total posts doesn't carry the weight of someone with 4000 posts.

Yep, oldbies get reputations and credibility. Some of us have been around the TG internets block as it were, 11 years I've been involved in the online TG community. In fact it will be exactly 11 years in 4 days, March 8 of 1999 was when I created "VeronicaMoonlit" on my first way to access the Internet, though I'd created a web mail account on a public computer a couple of months earlier. But "VeronicaMoonlit" really started being active on that date above.

Yep.

I've also read some stories here that seem far-fetched. There are lots of TGs who come here looking for support, but my SO pointed out to me years ago that there are others who come here because it is a much needed outlet for their fantasies. Their posts seem permeated with wishful thinking. I suppose this is also a form of support as it is a coping mechanism do deal with life circumstances in which these TGs may feel they cannot express themselves as much as they need to.

Yep, that happens, not too often, but it does. Have seen it for years on USENET and TG spaces on the net.

But on the other hand what i keep seeing that i have to take this opportunity to bring up is the constant "advice" of the ladies on here telling others to "out" themselves to thier loved ones. I've seen it too many times....."just tell them/her" "quit being a coward and fess up" "go on what are you waiting for". Just plain wrong! ......r where they are at with it in thier lives, are they sitting there in the closet telling someone else to do something they themselves won't do? :2c: mj

I always tell people who ask questions on how to best hide their stash, or questions on how they should hide their pictures and web browsing to tell. Tell early, honesty really is the best policy. Just put on your "big girl pnaties" and do it, as some say. I came out to my family in 1993 and it was one of the smartest things I've ever done. Sure it was scary, but it was a good thing for me, and one of the things that helped me overcome my "dark times".

"utter cods wallop" (whatever that is)

UK euphemism of uncertain origin, that basically means "nonsense" or "BS" in Yank.

Yes, there are other comments on my appearance, but my emphasis is on our acceptance of ourselves.

Exactly!

Do I tell them that yes, they certainly can be accepted out there? Certainly! I've seen it time and time again. Do I try to "push them from the nest" too early? I certainly hope not. I'm not going to be one to say, "Come on. Get out there! Now!! You're ready. What are you waiting for?" At least, that's not my intent. I simply want them to know that when they're ready, that the world isn't as bad a place as they might think it is. That has been my experience, anyway.

Ditto,

Veronica Rogers

Imogen_Mann
03-04-2010, 01:43 PM
I'd like to address some of the comments here. I can... It was my thread.

I did NOT single out particular persons in posts, when I spoke of bank visits or teenager bra discussions they were strictly to illuminate my point, not to point the accusatory finger. I'm sorry if I made anyone feel uncomfortable.
Second point, I did not misread any posts and then make inappropriate comments... I can in fact read rather well for a member of the lower classes.

I think I made my point well, and the discussion and lively debate shows that this is indeed an emotive subject. I still hold my views, and I understand that many users of the forums here do not agree with them... But isn't that what lively debate is about ? Come on... Less mud flinging, more thought and typing. Don't jerk a knee at me, don't yell at me.... Make your point in a well presented way.

I'm heartened that so many of the counterpoints here are sensible and well thought out, and, agree with you or otherwise... I thank you ALL for reading, and joining in :-)

bethw
03-04-2010, 02:12 PM
We all know that some things are definitly fiction but we have to take that stuff in stride. Trips to the bank, yea kathi, are things that happen every day to us. true, It doesn't happen to all of us but it does happen. I, for one. am willing to give the benefit of the doubt most of the time. And no, I don't want to buy a bridge from you. I'm just a trusting person at heart.

Beth

Kathi Lake
03-04-2010, 02:57 PM
Jayme, my point is that you may have wanted a serious discussion of the issues, but the way you phrased it - with all of those nicey-nice words, like liars, BS, contrived situations and the like, and then caling out certain individuals by the events in their posts (and leaving little doubt as to who you were really talking about in the process), was not the right way to go about it. Saying something like, "I have noticed a growing use of fantasy in people's posts on this board. What do you think?" would have been a much less inflammatory way to go about it.

And no, I don't want to buy a bridge from you. I'm just a trusting person at heart.Darn! Because I have a great one for you - it was only driven over by a little old lady on her way to and from church on Sundays! :)

:)

Kathi

Nicole Erin
03-04-2010, 03:03 PM
Some stories are really nutzoid, but I think a lot of the ones here are probably true.
It gets to the passing thing - a CD goes out, dressed well, and doesn't make it obvious about the male side, she will probably have a normal day.
Families can be accepting, mine is.

What you often don't read or hear about are the struggles a CD or TS might have to endure to get to a certain point. Like me, I can dress as I please, but it costed me my marriage (that and other problems)

I have seen some BS stories on the web from CD or TS, I am not talking "bending the truth", I am talking whopper stories! I mean TRUE BS. :eek:

Some TS chick from UK used to have this site years ago, and her story was, in a gist -
when she tried to kill herself and went the hospital, told her family about her wanting to be a girl, hugs, comfort, and tears were shared. And of course she passes just SO well that she can dress like a man and have a beard and still pass as a woman. Oh and this is/was at her college.
I think she took down the site cause people kept telling her she was full of it.

You have to understand that some CD/TS are REALLY full of themselves.
The problem with the totoal BS stories from CD or TS (well anyone) is the reader may feel inferior or whatever... Peer pressure. Reminds me of those magazines where they interview Joe Blow on the street about something, it will say - "Joe Blow, 21, Investment banker" or maybe Systems analyist.
Like "How did that little shit land some 6 figure job at 21?" BUT - it may not be true or stretched. Joe Blow might be going door to door trying to sell insurance or something.

Violetgray
03-04-2010, 03:25 PM
I can see both sides of this.

Though IMHO, the teenager discussing bras thing is relatively plausible compared to some of the other things I've heard. Things like

"I passed so well that day, this guy went to check my crotch and my willie momentarily morphed into a vagina!"

Or,

"I came out to my wife. She said 'AWESOME! I'd already started a fund for your breast implants just in case!' And when I came out to my boss he said, 'I'm usually quite homophobic, but here, have a promotion!'"

Or,

"My tuck fooled the gynecologist!"

Well maybe not that bad.

But on the other hand some of the things that have happened to me sound pretty implausible:

In a full-contact, live action roleplaying game, 130+ burly armored men decided that I was the princess, and so for 2 days I walked around in a corset and long flowing skirt while large men fought over me! (Got the pics to prove this one!)

So, when I see a post, I may say "that's very unlikely" but I rarely ever say "That didn't happen."

t-girlxsophie
03-04-2010, 03:43 PM
Am sure there is a certain amount of BS happens on this site,but in my opinion its probably very few and far between,I do know there's many girls who do pass pretty much all of the time (the swines lol),I know I've met a few in my time.

If one of us has had a positive experience that others,may or may not think happened that way,It may put them off from expressing it on here,if they think they will be subject of ridicule

Having said that The people that are lets say "economical" with the truth,will surely as the way of these things,trip themselves up at some point

ReineD
03-04-2010, 07:05 PM
Reine, I don't believe that I ". . . thoughtlessly cheer others on in their fantasies and encourage them to go further than what might be safe or realistic."

Kathi, there are tons of threads on this site blindly advocating others to just "go out there" and be themselves. Although the OP referred to your post in particular, I was referring to the cheering posts in general. If I were to accuse you of being thoughtless, I would have said this directly to you in a PM.

Kathi Lake
03-04-2010, 07:06 PM
If I were to accuse you of being thoughtless, I would have said this directly to you in a PM.Thank you.

Christina Horton
03-05-2010, 10:13 AM
Kathi , I know how you feel , I have been told I'm a lier in some of my posts too.

Jayme. Yes I do think there are unbelive-a-bull storys here ,but I would not go on a thread and say something mean. That's justthe way I am. I might pm them and ask questions but I would try not to be rude. I have not allways been able to do that but when your typing your thoughts they sometimes come out sounding wrong to other people , like what you sad about Kathi's bank girls. And yes we all knew whom you were talking about.

Now I want you to test your BS skills. I want you to read (3 or more it you like) of my threads I started. And report back to us with YOUR oppion. Tell us (if) I was telling the truth.

Sorry I can't link them. My computer in not working ( I'm on my iPhone.

1) My frist time out yaaaaaaaaaa!!!

2) my 20th high school Reunion going as Christina.

3) my 20 th high school reunion going as Christina update , he'll must have frozen over.

Now why do I want you to read them. Well I want to see if you really are good at picking out a BS thread. I have never lied in one of my threads. I might make it more fun for the reader more exciting. But I find I don't have to do that much cuz I do do wild thing that girls not (out and about) would never do. There are a few girls from here I've met and whom I have gone shopping with or to meetup with. I know that does not prove I have done some of the things but it's a good start.

I think you need to take the word of the person whom is writing the threads as fact. For the most part. Pass judgement if you want but be nice about it if you need to tell they you think there full if it. For me I'm a very kind person , all ways have been so. I did once comment on a thread (I will not say what one) and said what I thought and go slaped by our salpiglossis happy addmin whom shall reamain nameless. "I still love you girl";). And some others allso yelled at me. So I apolljised (can't spell that dam word) and all was ok after that.

If I see a thread that I just can't belive I just take it with a grain of salt (witch we all need salt to live) and look at it as entertanment and move on. You never know. It may be bs but then again it (Could) be true to. Cuz you wernt there right? So if someone need to make up a story here for what ever reason then I just say oh well and move on. But that's just silly me.

Oh Kathi. I love all your storys and belive all of them keep them coming hunny.

Tamara Croft
03-05-2010, 12:40 PM
Christina... that's a pot/kettle/black post if ever I've read one... I have read your posts on this board and let's get real here, you have made a point of telling people just what you think. And not to mention your signature - If you don't like my (honesty) well TFB. So it's too :censor: bad if people don't like your honesty, but you're giving Jayme a lecture because you don't like hers... well how about TFB?

mklinden2010
03-05-2010, 01:07 PM
>>Now why do I want you to read them. Well I want to see if you really are good at picking out a BS thread. I have never lied in one of my threads. I might make it more fun for the reader more exciting. But I find I don't have to do that much cuz I do do wild thing that girls not (out and about) would never do. There are a few girls from here I've met and whom I have gone shopping with or to meetup with. I know that does not prove I have done some of the things but it's a good start.

OK, I'm confused...

You've never lied, but there have been times when you had fun making up the truth?

Hey, that's great. "Truthiness" is a fun idea.

But.. It ain't the truth.

I think the point of the OP was that some things get said here that stretch the facts beyond simple reporting and into fantasy, wishful thinking, and, as I noted yesterday, things ultimately harmful to honest reporting about who and what CD/TS/TG people really are - basically just normal people who have landed, in life, in CD/TS/TG slots. It's not hunting and fishing, but it's no more to love, life, and work than those..

There are a lot of people who come to these forums looking for answers about themselves, or, people they care about. If what they stumble upon is a lot of "girley-girley wiggly-wiggly" dialog, any hope of normalizing the behavior goes out the window with those simple truths that get pushed aside by, well, what would you call it? "Entertainment pieces"?

Some things do more harm than they are worth. Perhaps much of what winds up being of questionable value to aiding people in positively accepting themselves and others should be slotted into an "Interesting if true" section.

It's still there to read, but it's clearly in the "grain of salt" department full time.

Micayla
03-05-2010, 03:15 PM
I am so sorry you find me creepy.I was just forwarding a bit of life from our house hold.I respect that it does sound weird for some to be discussing the topic of new bras with young ladies.However our home is a safe haven for a group of my daughters friends.We have on many occasions a very full house,as many as 5 may sleep over.They understand that no one is to go hungry or thirsty,what we have we will gladly share.They have quickly learned that we listen to their problems and not judge or interfere.They are all in different stages of puberty and get a kick out of making me uncomfortable with many personal questions raised to my wife,in my presence.Yes they have accepted me as someone to trust .When the young lady said they should dress me up in a pretty bra, she was trying to be funny.Only in the context that I would love nothing better in ways only a cd would understand.No my wife would never allow it nor would I as I respect the conflict that would arise from such a situation.My wife knowing of my predilections could see the humor in the situation.The girls thought it was funny because to them I am in many cases the father figure missing in their lives,Also because I am 5"11' and 245 lbs,ex-mechanic and carpenter.I am in their eyes far from being one who would dress in lady clothes..Lastsly thank you Kathi as I think you understand .

Kathi Lake
03-05-2010, 03:22 PM
. . . Lastly, thank you Kathi as I think you understand .Yup! totally.

Leanne2
03-05-2010, 04:54 PM
If you are a person that doesn't "pass" because of your normal male features then it would be hard to imagine that anyone could. For many years I felt that I couldn't pass but I went out anyway. Now I know from experience that often I can pass; not always but often. Sometimes I'm ma'amd when I'm not even trying. It happened the other day while I was waiting in line in a grocery store. I wasn't talking to anyone at the time. It's hard for me to voice pass.
Some things that help are the fact that I wear my own hair styled in a lady's wedge cut. Also, I keep my brows waxed into feminine arches. I also dress unisex most of the time. If someone isn't sure about my gender then these things tip the scale in my favor.
This forum isn't just for people that can pass. But also, don't forget that some of us can. We are no better than the non passers, just luckier. But I also agree with you that some of the postings should be listed as fiction. Leanne

LeslieSD
03-05-2010, 05:40 PM
I read the bank post. Personally I don't think there is anything wrong with that story. It is just some friendly chat. Years ago when I am completely un-passable, I have had normal conversation with strangers in a park and not a word is said about my choice of clothing. And that was in relative conservative midwest. So people are usually very accepting (at least to strangers, it is a different story if it were their SO).

The true fear is in one's own mind. Once you are not fearful of your own dilusion (of a dangerous hostile world), you will find the world is indeed not scary.

Another fear is coming from man's uncertainty. We are sometimes so unsure of our own manhood that we want to win, to show our superiority, to compete against others, all to assure ourselves that we are not worthless. Are we so fearful that we have to win it?

msginaadoll
03-06-2010, 03:21 PM
This was a very interesting post. Im sure that some posts have been out and out lies while some stretch the truthiness factor. I do agree with Tamara this forum is not meant to be for fiction but a way of communicationg with each other who we are. Yes there are also rah rah posts at times encouraging others to go out in public etc. I for one do try to temper things by being a realistic as well as offering warning as well. It is a cruel crazy beautiful world out there.

dawnmarrie1961
03-06-2010, 03:31 PM
BS to one person may often be a reality to another person.
It all depends on what side of the looking glass you are veiwing from.
Truth is often stranger than fiction.

Be safe. Be smart. (I believe.)

Dawn Marrie

Dee2U
03-06-2010, 04:17 PM
At the very least I think people always have some spin on things when they post - its human nature. I take to heart all the stories about coming out to your SO. As I have said too many times, I am so deep in the closet, I might as well be in the next room. The stories that others share about coming out have been a gentle encouragement for me and will, I believe, over time help me get up the courage to come out a little. I don't care if they are a little embellished or even BS. They have made me feel so much better about myself that I cannot thank everyone enough. I can handle a little BS. What I can't handle (yet) is rejection. Thanks again to all who have shared....Dee

dawnmarrie1961
03-06-2010, 05:58 PM
Here is a little tale for you to grade on weather it is truth or BS.
You be the judge.

Many years ago when I was still married I actually had my wife convinced that my male organs had disappeared and were replaced with female ones. That she had infact married some one who was in fact both sexes. Even in the act of love making she was not able to disprove this. She had at one time asked her own doctor if this was possible. I was able to keep up this ruse for many years some times even getting away with not having sex by faking a period. She seemed to be more accepting of my transitioning because she thought I had less of a choice. (That was not very nice of me and proved to be a very big mistake in the long run. Because it was this type of dishonesty that eventually caused the end of our relationship.)

Be safe. Be smart. (And don't try this a home.)

Dawn Marrie

truth or bs, folks.
care to take a whack at this?

Christina Horton
03-06-2010, 09:26 PM
Here is a little tale for you to grade on weather it is truth or BS.
You be the judge.

Many years ago when I was still married I actually had my wife convinced that my male organs had disappeared and were replaced with female ones. That she had infact married some one who was in fact both sexes. Even in the act of love making she was not able to disprove this. She had at one time asked her own doctor if this was possible. I was able to keep up this ruse for many years some times even getting away with not having sex by faking a period. She seemed to be more accepting of my transitioning because she thought I had less of a choice. (That was not very nice of me and proved to be a very big mistake in the long run. Because it was this type of dishonesty that eventually caused the end of our relationship.)

Be safe. Be smart. (And don't try this a home.)

Dawn Marrie

truth or bs, folks.
care to take a whack at this?

I can believe it. My cuz and I once told a friend of ours that a little bug was in the temp gauge if her car. The but would run down the wire to the engine and feel how hot it was then run back to the gauge and set it ti the new temp then do it all again. She fell for it and we then laughed and told her it was BS. There are people who will believe anything you tell them if you tell it right.

I take people at face value until I find out there lying then I gauge there statements form there on in. I feel it ok to make a story better just as long as the story is true . But that's just me.

dawnmarrie1961
03-07-2010, 09:36 AM
Christina, You are absolutely correct. It was "true".

You get the "Know Prize". Which is actually "No prize" at all!

I was absolutely diabolical at pulling it off for as many years as I did. Only goes to show how devious a person can be when they really want something.

I had to keep declining my wife's gynecologists invitations to examine me. She thought I was an interesting medical case.

Truth is stranger than fiction.

Be safe. Be smart.

Dawn Marrie

charlie
03-07-2010, 05:44 PM
Hey Jayme!
When people post here it is usually because something bad has happened or because something extraordinary has happened. The extream of both worlds are streaming by here. And give them a break, the post just might be true (at least most of it) or it would not be here.