PDA

View Full Version : What's the best weight for me?

Amanda Marie
08-11-2005, 08:18 PM
I was wondering what the best weight is for me. I'm 5'7 and currently weigh 148 lbs. I'm pretty sure the ideal weight for GG's is around 125 lbs. Should I shoot for this weight or is it different for CD's?

Deborah
08-11-2005, 08:25 PM
I'm taking a Nutrition course for college. 125LBS is borderline for your height. Meaning if you drop below it you will be underweight. 148 is mid-range. So as you are your fine for your height. The chart is unisex.

Hope it helps.

Amanda Marie
08-11-2005, 08:30 PM
I'm taking a Nutrition course for college. 125LBS is borderline for your height. Meaning if you drop below it you will be underweight. 148 is mid-range. So as you are your fine for your height. The chart is unisex.

Hope it helps.

Thank you :) I was just wondering because my bra size is 38 C. Most of the GGs that I know usualy range in a 34. I thought that if I lost some weight I would lose some mass and therefore my chest wouldn't be as "wide".

Deborah
08-11-2005, 08:33 PM
If you don't like that answer here is another source where they segregated into the two sexes.

http://www.healthchecksystems.com/heightweightchart.htm

In the male category i'm medium frame but i'm actually in the range for the small frame.
Female category i'm the correct weight.

5'10 150lbs

KELLYANN
08-11-2005, 08:40 PM
you are just fine AMANDA :cheer: :welcome:

Jesse69
08-11-2005, 08:57 PM
What's your US clothes dress size?

I'm 5' 3.5" 142 lbs size 6 to 8.

Deborah
08-11-2005, 09:00 PM

I'm not really sure lol. I can fit into size 5 jeans and size 6 skirts. I have a dress that is size 8 that fits me. I'm told i'm supposed to be a 10-12 but they are way to big for me....who knows??

Amanda Marie
08-11-2005, 09:07 PM

It depends, but I usually wear a size 10.

Amanda Marie
08-11-2005, 09:07 PM
you are just fine AMANDA :cheer: :welcome:

Thank you sweetie! :)

Abraxas
08-11-2005, 09:09 PM
It depends on your ratio of muscle- to- fat mass. Men generally have a lower fat mass and higher muscle mass. And muscle weighs more than fat. You can be 300 pounds and look either like Arnold Schwarzennegar or Louie Anderson. So, it all depends.
I'm 5'10" and about 120 lbs-- that's about right for me (even though my mum and grandma keep telling me I'm too damn skinny-- I've got a tiny bit of a belly but that's just subcutaneous fat which I can't do anything about), although if I were a GB I'd be underweight (I haven't got as much muscle mass as guys do).
It really has a lot more to do with how you look and feel than what the scale says.

Oh, yeah-- I have a quite small frame (my wrist is about 6" or so) and my waist is about 30-31" (not my trouser size-- my actual waist size, around the belly button).

Amanda Marie
08-11-2005, 09:13 PM
I'm not really sure lol. I can fit into size 5 jeans and size 6 skirts. I have a dress that is size 8 that fits me. I'm told i'm supposed to be a 10-12 but they are way to big for me....who knows??

That's where I get confused. I have a 29 waist and a 38 chest (that's with the boobs). I'm supposed to wear a size 10 but I can fit into things that are smaller than that. Sometimes it just doesn't make sense.

Abraxas
08-11-2005, 09:18 PM
That's where I get confused. I have a 29 waist and a 38 chest (that's with the boobs). I'm supposed to wear a size 10 but I can fit into things that are smaller than that. Sometimes it just doesn't make sense.

You have a 29" waist and wear size 10? I have a 31" waist (I wear size 32 trousers) and wear a size 8 long in womens jeans (I don't wear them but have tried them on, just out of curiosity).

With dresses, I believe you also have to calculate height into it.

Fallen Angel
08-11-2005, 09:21 PM
just keep this in mind i am 5"5 and i weight 150 how is this i do work out so flab is not a dense weight meaning you can have a great shape but still weigh more make any sense?

Abraxas
08-11-2005, 09:29 PM
Exactly-- muscle weighs more than fat. You can gain 15 pounds of muscle and your waist can actually end up smaller than it began. So weight has literally nothing to do with how you look.

Odd thing is, with me, I look exactly the same now at 120 lbs as I did several months ago when I was closer to 135- 140. Not sure how that worked out, but I've got no complaints.

Amanda Marie
08-11-2005, 09:31 PM
You have a 29" waist and wear size 10? I have a 31" waist (I wear size 32 trousers) and wear a size 8 long in womens jeans (I don't wear them but have tried them on, just out of curiosity).

With dresses, I believe you also have to calculate height into it.

You have to understand that I do most of my ordering of cloths online. I usually use a chart that I got some time ago. Sometimes it works...sometimes it doesn't. The chart that I have says that with a 29 waist and a 38 chest I should be a 10. It doesn't always work that way.

I'm all alone in this. I don't know any CDs so it's really hit or miss with me.

Deborah
08-11-2005, 09:35 PM
You have to understand that I do most of my ordering of cloths online. I usually use a chart that I got some time ago. Sometimes it works...sometimes it doesn't. The chart that I have says that with a 29 waist and a 38 chest I should be a 10. It doesn't always work that way.

I'm all alone in this. I don't know any CDs so it's really hit or miss with me.

That's the problem i had with my Fredericks order recently. I had a 30 inch waist and 38 chest and says i'm a size 10. The skirt doesn't stay around my waist it drops to my hips lol. I have to send it back soon. I can wear a size 6 skirt though and there is room???

wb fallen;)

Amanda Marie
08-11-2005, 09:47 PM
That's the problem i had with my Fredericks order recently. I had a 30 inch waist and 38 chest and says i'm a size 10. The skirt doesn't stay around my waist it drops to my hips lol. I have to send it back soon. I can wear a size 6 skirt though and there is room???

wb fallen;)

lol. That's exactly where I'm at. I'm more of a skirt gal and size 6-7 usually works for me. I guess with a little more time I will have it down to a science so to speak. Now if I can only get my sizes for my tops right ;)

Marlena Dahlstrom
08-11-2005, 11:08 PM
I was just wondering because my bra size is 38 C. Most of the GGs that I know usualy range in a 34. I thought that if I lost some weight I would lose some mass and therefore my chest wouldn't be as "wide".

Part of it also depends on the size of your rib cage. I'm barrel chested, so even when I weighed a lot less, my chest size wasn't that much smaller. Incidently the extra set of ribs men have can cause some sizing issues, since we don't narrow at the same place women do.

As far as sizing, women's sizes are terribly inconsistent, so you need to check the charts for each brand. Also remember waist measurements are taken at the "girl waist" which is about two inches above your belly button rather than at your guy waist.

Even then, it's a bit of crap-shoot. I've got a 38-inch guy waist, yet I usually wear 14/16 bottoms, even though the charts would indicate there's no way I should be able to do so. Part of it is women's clothes are often stretchy so there's a bit more give. Also beware of shoulders, especially for jackets, which usually aren't stretchy. I usually wear a 16/18 top, but for a non-stretch shirt or jacket, I usually have to go up to a 20 to fit the shoulders.

The good news is once you've figured out your sizing for a particular brand, you can be pretty confident that new stuff will fit right.

Amanda Marie
08-11-2005, 11:15 PM
Thank you! That was very informative :)

Fallen Angel
08-12-2005, 07:50 AM
your right darla, womens cloths are inconsitant why because of first cuts as the cutting increases the sizing gets larger huh? il explain this the more expensive the item the smaller the size the cheaper the item the size gets larger. some thing my mom pointed out to me on the average i wear a ten in dresses or pant suits because i have a 38 b-c breast size i wear a medium in a top and skirts can be from a size 6 to a 10. the proublem is to that todays fashions have gone back to the sixties and every thing is off the hip, low rideing you can always have your skirts redone to fit you.ive bought some reasly nice older style evening wear and had the legth taken up so there on the mini side hope this helps you out a bit

Tamara Croft
08-12-2005, 09:57 AM
What Fallen Angel said is very true. Designers make clothes that are proper sizes, then you get the 'copied' clothes, which have been literally cut out from the original. The sizes are then all wrong because the hem allowance has been left out. I have bought clothes from designer shops and can fit into a size 12 -14 (depending on the style) pretty comfortably, but if I go to an outlet that sells the clothes cheaper, I find myself sometimes buying clothes 1 or 2 sizes bigger...... which sucks :(

Amanda Marie
08-12-2005, 10:04 AM
What a pain in the rear! :)

I've decided I'm just going to go to Old Navy or someplace like that and just try the clothes on while I'm there.