PDA

View Full Version : FTMs look younger than they are?

Abraxas
08-11-2005, 09:42 PM
Isn't that the truth? I'm 19 and I certainly don't look it. I think I look more like I'm 12 most of the time (okay not quite but you know what I mean). I've seen pictures of FTMs who are like 25 who look 15.

How old do you guys think you look? And how old do you think the other guys look? (And of course, how old are you actually)?
Feel free to post pictures so the rest of the guys (and some girls if they decide to wander over) can comment on them.

So here's me when I was actually 10 (I think I look pretty much the same now, lol):
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v665/DemianAbraxas/Me/meat10.jpg
And here's a couple more recent ones:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v665/DemianAbraxas/Me/DSCF0017crop.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v665/DemianAbraxas/Me/DSCF0012crop.jpg
So, whatcha think? I think I look maybe 15 most of the time.
Am I way off? :)

AmyCarter
08-11-2005, 09:57 PM
You're still kinda young to think that you look young. Heck, you're not even being carded yet for drinks. The only test anyone really gets are from perfect strangers. For instance, I'm very seldomly carded are clubs and bars but that could be due to them knowing me since i go to very limited places. But like, when the cable lady came out to make repairs she didn't think i was over 18. I started really to notice it around age 24. (age 27 now) You're doing well though and with probably very little effort on your part you'll continue to look to be 17 for atleast the next 8 years of your life. Congratulations :)

Marlena Dahlstrom
08-11-2005, 11:44 PM
It's kind of hard to tell from headshots alone but I'd say teenager. The acne also says younger -- sorry just being honest, but don't worry, it'll pass.

However, hair style and dress can make you look older if that's what you're after. I wouldn't do a suit, because that'll just make you look like a boy in daddy's clothes. Sort of the same as how 40-year-old dressed like Brittany just look that much older. But if if you observe GBs, you'll see there's (hopefully) a difference between the way guys in high school and guys in their mid-20s dress. Teens tend to be a bit sloppier, while guys get a bit more polished (sometimes) as time goes by -- usually their girlfriends clean them up. :D Just keep watching "Queer Eye" and you'll get the hang of it.

BTW, actually your hairstyle at 10 looks "older" -- although probably not the best style for a rocker. :)

Abraxas
08-12-2005, 01:26 AM
I do dress in suits sometimes, but more often I tend to wear jeans with a dress shirt and blazer. If I'm going to dinner, weddings, etc. I wear a suit. I've never been one to dress sloppy-- even as a little kid I always wore nice jeans/ trousers and button- up shirts. It's just my style.
And my hair now is short and spikey-- very 25- year- old lol
Luckily the acne thing is going away, but the scarring, unfortunately, is there and there's little I can do about it. I hate it.

Funny thing is, when I was 13 I ordered a mix drink at a steakhouse and was asked if I wanted it with or without alcohol. The waitress thought I was like 24, apparently. WTF? lol

Gabriel
08-13-2005, 08:03 PM
The hair must have something to do with it. I used to have long hair for a while in high school, and people thought I was in college. Then once I had my hair cut short, people think I'm in high school or younger... I did get carded. 22 (at that time) vs. 15. Take your pick. :D

You look about right, but then again I see your photo often. The "guys" in my school look young, but then again I assume they are my age.

Abraxas
08-13-2005, 08:17 PM
Yeah, I think the hair does have something to do with it.
Trouble is, if my hair is any longer than, say, 2 or 3 inches, I'm automatically read as "girl." (not sure why) When it's really short as it is now (an inch on top, maybe a little longer), I'm always recognised as a boy. Which is good. I'd rather look like a 12- year- old boy than a 25- year- old (or whatever) girl.

Marlena Dahlstrom
08-15-2005, 01:11 AM
Yeah, acne scars are a bitch. I've got a couple myself. You could :eek: use a little concealer. If not in everyday life, at least on stage, where stage make-up on guys is acceptable. And actually concealer is slowly becoming a guy thing, according to several articles I've read, even if guys won't fess up to it.

Since you're dressing sharp, you're already halfway to being metrosexual. ;)

As far as being read as a girl when you've got longer hair, it may be because you've got large eyes and lack a brow ridge, both of which are typically female. It also looks like you've got a heart-shaped face, which is also more typically feminine, especially with the soften jawline. (It's less common for guys because of their heavier jaws.)

Again, for stage make-up, you might consider a little contouring to strengthen the jawline and play up the cheekbones. By shading the cheeks, it might make your face look a little squarer -- if the cheeks look more hollow it may make the jawline look wider.

morgantoy25
08-15-2005, 07:31 AM
well i currently dont have a sexy pic of myself but i am 25 and i have now been upgraded to a guess of being 18 or 19 years old so yes i think the majority of ftms look younger than they are

Abraxas
08-15-2005, 08:59 AM
Yeah, acne scars are a bitch. I've got a couple myself. You could :eek: use a little concealer. If not in everyday life, at least on stage, where stage make-up on guys is acceptable. And actually concealer is slowly becoming a guy thing, according to several articles I've read, even if guys won't fess up to it.

Since you're dressing sharp, you're already halfway to being metrosexual. ;)

As far as being read as a girl when you've got longer hair, it may be because you've got large eyes and lack a brow ridge, both of which are typically female. It also looks like you've got a heart-shaped face, which is also more typically feminine, especially with the soften jawline. (It's less common for guys because of their heavier jaws.)

Again, for stage make-up, you might consider a little contouring to strengthen the jawline and play up the cheekbones. By shading the cheeks, it might make your face look a little squarer -- if the cheeks look more hollow it may make the jawline look wider.

I do generally wear a bit of makeup (I do find it fun to dabble in). Concealer/ foundation/ base/ whathaveyou and occasionally some eyeliner (mostly for stagework, and if I am going to be onstage I generally wear mascara as well).
Yeah, I do think that hollowing my cheeks would be a good thing. I've got a pudgy face and it annoys me-- probably another reason I look young. Still got that annoying baby fat (can't it just go away already?). Trouble is, I'm not that great at doing makeup (lack of coordination, perhaps?) and my mum very rarely wears it so I doubt if she'd be of much assistance. I obviously don't want to look heavily made- up, just natural so no- one has a clue I'm wearing anything at all. I've been reasonably successful in that, but it's not hard when I'm just doing the foundation and not much else. Hell, I need Eddie Izzard's help!
lol
I don't even have a female friend who could help me. All my girl friends are tomboys (okay so I only have 3 female friends, one of whom is leaving for Air Force boot camp tomorrow), and the blokes aren't much help in that department.
Phhh. Guess it's all trial and error, just like with everybody else. Other problem is that I'm ridiculously pale (the pictures don't do my pastiness justice) so it's hard to find colours that work.

Marlena Dahlstrom
08-15-2005, 10:29 PM
Well I'm sure some of the Goth chicks here might able to help find make-up suitable for the living dead. ;)

Ironically enough it sounds like your in the same boat as we are. As you said, it's just a matter of experimentation and practice. Worse case you could go in drag to the department store and get the make-up artists to do you over. :D