PDA

View Full Version : Most disappointing photo shoot

Kayla_CD
03-06-2010, 09:31 AM
I had an entire day alone this week and I haven't dressed since Christmas, so this should have been a recipe for the best day ever. But I'm left disappointed.

I looked over my photos and got the real feeling of a boy in makeup. Got the same feeling looking at them today, after a couple days of not thinking about it. The weird thing is: I really thought I looked good at the time, my eye makeup looked great!

So my question(s):

Do others have days like that?

Is this the same thing as when a GG feels unattractive for no reason?

And more practically, any tips on good photos I may be missing?

Thanks all.

tamarav
03-06-2010, 09:44 AM
Oh honey, of course we all have times like that, but we don't come out and tell everyone about it. We just vow to do better next time. It could be the pink fog has enveloped us so badly that we couldn't see clearly, or maybe the mirror was fogged over, who knows.

I have had days of taking multiple pictures (which I do to increase my dressing and photo skills) and find that not one of the pictures shows the Tami I want to present to the world. I mull about and then try it again the next day or whenever and find that it all clicks that time.

Don't let one little bad day, or apparent bad day, get you down. How many girls would be out in the world if they let that happen to them? I have gone to work dressed in my number 3 or worse look and gotten very positive remarks, many times we are our own worst critic.

Being Paige
03-06-2010, 09:49 AM
Don't be that hard on yourself. It's not fair to you!
I look in the mirror and I see Me! I may be beautifull to some or no one, but bottom line I'm beautifull to myself and that is all that really matters.

StaceyJane
03-06-2010, 09:49 AM
I did a photo shoot a couple of months ago. Literally 200 pics were taken and I only saw about 5 I really liked.

msniki48
03-06-2010, 09:55 AM
So my question(s):

Do others have days like that?

Is this the same thing as when a GG feels unattractive for no reason?

And more practically, any tips on good photos I may be missing?

Thanks all.

Kayla, i just had this happen... i have many good shots here on the site....but i haven't been dressing lately, and decided to go to a meeting last week...well i took some shots and was dissapointed. i simply was not on my game. i am going to a meeting tonight and will pay more attention to detail...hopefully it will give a better outcome.

for every picture you see here in the forum... i am sure between 10 to 50 were taken.

don't get down on yourself

ohhhh remember when a GG has a bad day with her look...she still looks like a girl....not always the same with us gurls.

enjoy your time as you .... dissapointment is one thing, but don't get discouraged!

:hugs::love:

JustWendy
03-06-2010, 10:15 AM
for every picture you see here in the forum... i am sure between 10 to 50 were taken.
:hugs::love:

I can certainly back up what Niki is saying about how many bad pictures we have for every good one we post. I currently have only a few pictures on my profile and I've taken hundreds. Last week I looked in the mirror and was so disappointed in what I saw that I haven't dressed since. I'm old enough to know that this mood will pass, but I certainly understand the feeling. It's those times that we see in the mirror's image or find captured by the camera's eye that feminine person we feel on the inside that keeps us motivated on this journey. As Niki said, we are all going to have those days when we're disappointed in our look, but don't let it discourage you. The next beautiful picture is just around the corner.
Wendy

Karen564
03-06-2010, 11:06 AM
To be honest, I've never liked any of my pictures, not even a little bit..............but I bite the bullet just so I at least have something to show regardless how I feel about it.

And nothing to do with pictures, But I also have days when I look in the mirror and see if it's going to be one of those feeling pretty kind of days or feeling like an ugly duckling day..
Just like having a bad hair day.......It happens every now & then, and no matter how hard I try to make it right, nothing seems to work....

But the next day could be totally different feeling, even times after waking up with my hair all wild and go look in the mirror 1st thing & say, Wow, Wish I looked that good yesterday....lol

I'm sure my sisters that live 24/7 & the GG's have these days...but regardless, we still walk out that door & face the world everyday no matter what....even though we wish we could just stay home or hide in the office on our bad days..:hiding:

I can't really explain Why we have these days, but I think it's more psychological than physical, but whatever the case is, it does affect us in one way or another..

And so, I think it's kinda like the same thing with pictures, because if you don't like what you see right off the bat, you'll never like it..
Yet you could show someone else the same picture and they don't see what your seeing & like it..
Go figure....lol

kimberly ann487
03-06-2010, 11:34 AM
Everyone has bad days, sometimes you're hot and sometimes you're not, lol. I think this is mostly in our heads, attitude, how we feel about ourselves that day.
That being said, judging ones looks by looking at photos is a poor way to do it. There are hundreds of factors that make or break a portrait and how you really look is only one of them. That's why the pros make the big bucks. Many shots are taken, lots of doctoring is done, before that cover of Cosmo is published, lol.
Face to face is the only way to judge. We see the whole package, personality, how we carry ourselves, and the big one, attitude. :2c:

katies27
03-06-2010, 11:54 AM
I know what you mean, I nearly always feel the same when I see my photos.
No definitive answer, but just a couple of thoughts/ points:
They say the camera never lies, but it does. The lens can distort images especially when using wide angle lenses (especially within the confines of the closet).
The flash, which again you will need if you are taking pictures in the closet, highlights things that you have gone to great lengths to disguise with make-up.
When you see yourself in the mirror, there is a lot of emotions involved.
If you like what you see, stick with the mirror.

Rachel Morley
03-06-2010, 12:00 PM
Out of all the pictures I've ever taken, and that's hundreds, I think that there's only been about a dozen that I felt really looked exactly how I felt I looked at the time or that matched the mirror image on that day. My point is, you're not alone. I always think how I look in the mirror is better than 99% of the pictures I see of me.

Mitzi
03-06-2010, 12:54 PM
For the most part, I find my pictures, well, okay, if not great. Many elicit an "Ugh!, these aren't gonna see the light of day".

I've noticed wigs make a big difference in my pictures. Some wigs look okay in the mirror, but make me look matronly in pictures, probably what I really look like to others.:o

As I'm sure others do, I have my private collection of T-girl pictures. By chance, one of my better pictures landed next to Tamara V's. When I look at mine after seeing hers, I'm deflated...how do I rearrange these:sad:

Mitzi

monika
03-06-2010, 03:43 PM
For the most part, I find my pictures, well, okay, if not great. Many elicit an "Ugh!, these aren't gonna see the light of day".

I've noticed wigs make a big difference in my pictures. Some wigs look okay in the mirror, but make me look matronly in pictures, probably what I really look like to others.:o

As I'm sure others do, I have my private collection of T-girl pictures. By chance, one of my better pictures landed next to Tamara V's. When I look at mine after seeing hers, I'm deflated...how do I rearrange these:sad:

Mitzi

The wigthing is something I have experienced myself, some just look bad in photos!
I am mostly happy with my photos, but sometimes I look in the mirror and I am really satisfied with my look. -Then I see the photos I took and I am dissapointed.
Maybe I`m being fooled by the pink fog, maybe it is the flash on the camera..who knows haha

katies27
03-06-2010, 03:55 PM
Monika, I wish I could look like you on one of your bad days!

Katie

Hope
03-06-2010, 04:22 PM
You know the difference between a professional photographer and and an amateur? A professional photographer takes about 100X more pictures. The pro throws away most of them, probably better than 90%, but the keepers are golden.

But I don't think that the problem is with the ratio of pictures that you / are not happy with. I think the problem is that you feel like you look like a dude in a dress in most of them. Even in a crummy or unflattering picture a GG still looks like a girl.

So don't blame the camera - don't blame anyone really. You pointed out that you are getting your eye make-up right... Good! Use the photos to help identify the things you still need work on, or perhaps the things that you didn't even know you needed to work on. Take a critical look at the photos (not so much at yourself, but at the photos) and use them - force them to tell you, to reveal to you what it is that you are still doing, or not doing properly, that gives the impression of being a guy in a dress. Knees spread? Elbows out? Crummy posture? Lumpy smile? Whatever it is, figure it out and fix it. You may not like the photos, but they are doing you a favor.

Don't deny the photo's their power - but make them use there power for your benefit.

Miranda09
03-06-2010, 04:28 PM
Oh yeah...I've had a few days like that. In fact, my last photo shoot came out so bad that I just scrapped them all. Sometimes you're just not feeling it in front of the camera. ;)

divamissz
03-06-2010, 04:40 PM
You are always your own worst critic. You look at yourself in photos and see every flaw, every mistake, everything that you hate. That's natural. You have to learn how to go beyond this and see the photos where your inner self does come out.

christine55
03-06-2010, 05:23 PM
When we look at ourselves in the mirror we always look our best because we are looking at our best angle and facial expression. When taking shots
with a camera we do not get such perfection. Our facial expression, posture, way of holding out heads, etc. tend to often show our not so feminine side. It takes work. Work on these things. A wig to
compliment your face shape helps. Just remember that others see not just that perfect pose and smile but see you from all angles, your actual posture and body shape.
Another thing to consider is the lighting you use for your shots. A camera mounted flash does not tend to flatter us. It tends to give a harsh look that emphasizes your sharper male features and brings out your beard shadow.
When you see a guy in a dress looking back at you from your photos just use these bad photos to correct and refine your look to achieve the most beleivable female look possible.
Best Wishes
Hugs, Christine

Kathi Lake
03-06-2010, 05:37 PM
I have posted plenty of bad pictures here. The reason? I feel that GGs aren't always "at their best" all the time, so why should I portray myself as always at my best, right?

:)

Kathi

funkybunny
03-06-2010, 08:03 PM
as a gg we go thru that as well. no matter what u put on you'll have days like that. but that passes as well

bethany356
03-06-2010, 08:08 PM
There have been times where I will take tons of photos, and not like a single one. Sometimes it's the angle, or the lighting that I feel makes me look fat, or I'm just having a blah day where NOTHING I can do makes me look good. If you're having a day like that, take a bubble bath and paint your nail.. It helps make me feel better!:)

echo
03-06-2010, 08:12 PM
Every answer above is right on target.

My advice...take buttloads of pix and keep the top 5

got to freewarefile and look through thier photo editors and download any that are compatible with your operating system.

then play with the "warp" (for the super hot body)...the "noise Reduction" (for the creamy smoothe skin) and anything else you like.

is it cheating? You better believe it! Do I feel bad for doing it? Absolutely not!

I have 8 photo editors and three video editors. I know I will never look as gorgeous as many of these fine ladies...but, I don't have to. I only need to look good enough for me.

dana digs sweaters
03-06-2010, 08:30 PM
Well Kayla, take all the advice the previous ladies have told you. It takes time dealing with all the moods we have. Practice, child practice. Absolutely enjoy the magic of the transformation and convey that feeling into the camera lense. Cheers, Ilene.

Babette
03-06-2010, 09:12 PM
Kayla,

I've been where you are describing so many times. Most often, it is my own fault. I think my worst self photos occur when I have something else on my mind or I'm feeling a little stressed. My best photos are when I feel great or really happy. In my opinion, candid photos taken by someone else
are the most intriguing.

I take a lot of outdoor photos and I love the way natural lighting plays on the subjects. The same goes for people shots taken outdoors. I've been to places with scenery so breathtaking that no matter where you point the camera, the results could only be fantastic. However, it still takes 35-40 shots to find the most perfect one of all.

Keep taking those pictures.

Babette

Alice B
03-06-2010, 09:14 PM
Of course. It all depends on your state of mind and your choice of clothing at the time. It is no big deal.

docrobbysherry
03-06-2010, 10:02 PM
I ALWAYS think I look good in the mirror!:daydreaming:

Then, I look at the pics and think, " HOW could I have thot I looked good?":eek:

But, (after I delete the few hundred pics from that session), I try to learn from that experience, and do BETTER next time!:)

StarrOfDelite
03-06-2010, 10:30 PM
There is a partial cure for bad pictures, it's called Photoshop.

Seriously, I'm not talking about putting your face on Cameron Diaz's body, or anything like that. The contrast, hue, and tint corrections can change a washed out pic into something vivid and exciting.

Some tips I've found helpful to progress towards good photos.

1. Do use a tripod and a remote shutter if you can. Frame the place where you're going to be sitting or standing, and make a mark for yourself, and then take the pix.

2. Be careful to not set the resolution on your photos higher than 480 x 640, which is the standard internet jpeg size. The higher the resolution, the more the minor imperfections which everyone (even Cameron Diaz) has in their complexion and body, are magnified.

3. If you don't have the time or space to set up a complementary backdrop for your pix, Photoshop lets you remove the background and replace it with azure blue, or claret, or pale gold, or whatever. Busy backgrounds in photos are always an unflattering distraction. A backdrop is better, because it soaks up light, and prevents flash bounce-back, and makes the lighting more even.

4. Use props which flatter your outfit. Obviously, you don't want to take a picture of a model-yourself wearing a leopard print jacket on a zebra stripe sofa, do you? All of us have some fashion sense about accessories and shoes, the same applies to photos.

5. The blur and smudge functions are the equivalent of an airbrush on a film image. Don't be ashamed to use them, commercial photographers aren't.

6. If you get one usable image in ten, you're doing as well as most commercial photographers. The mark of an amateur is unwillingness to take 10-15-20 more shots than you'd ever use in the end product. A lot of us, in the 40+ age bracket I would guess, tend to treat kilobytes on a flash card as if it was images on 35 mm film which cost fifty cents a pop to develop and print, and that's the wrong attitude to have.

7. Practice your poses and angles. We are all genetic men with certain proportions dialed-into our physiques by nature. Some camera angles will make us look more feminine. Low camera angles tend to emphasize long legs, and make hips look larger in proportion to shoulders than is actual. Head photos shot from above tend to obscure Adam's apples and square jaws. Certain arm angles emphasize the muscles in forearms and biceps, and those should be avoided.

8. Use your Nair, razor, and tweezers if you want to look like a woman rather than a man in a dress and lingerie. If you're into CD'ing because it's what you like, and you aren't interested in passing as a woman, that's fine, but if you want to be feminine, dark, hairy forearms and matted hair on legs underneath panty hose are not going to sell the deception, are they? Genetic women have plenty of body hair, my first wife's forearms were hairier than mine, but by modern convention they remove most of it, and . . . .

gabimartini
03-06-2010, 11:02 PM
One of these days I took more than a hundred pictures and after reviewing them, there wasn't any that pleased me. Not a one!!! I was very bummed out after that, but, that's life! So, my advice to you is don't get discouraged, go out and try again!

As for pictures, well-lit locations tend to produce better results. Avoid flashes. One other thing: consider getting a tripod. Also, having a camera with a timer function helps immensely.

As for make-up, since I haven't seen the pics you are referring to, I can't give specific feedback. Well, remember that practice makes perfect!

Good luck!

StarrOfDelite
03-06-2010, 11:51 PM
One of these days I took more than a hundred pictures and after reviewing them, there wasn't any that pleased me. Not a one!!! I was very bummed out after that, but, that's life! So, my advice to you is don't get discouraged, go out and try again!

As for pictures, well-lit locations tend to produce better results. Avoid flashes. One other thing: consider getting a tripod. Also, having a camera with a timer function helps immensely.

As for make-up, since I haven't seen the pics you are referring to, I can't give specific feedback. Well, remember that practice makes perfect!

Good luck!

good point about avoiding flash/strobe, gabi. it's much better to use several lamps to give a constant source of light. Try to avoid fluorescent bulbs, too, incandescent gives a much warmer and more flattering effect. I like to use plumber's lights, the kind that attach to pipes and stuff like that, along with ordinary table lamps to give illumination.

Kayla_CD
03-07-2010, 09:11 AM
Wow, I had no idea I'd get such an outpouring of support. I'm especially thankful to the ladies who reminded me to look at them critically and see what changes I can make. If we don't learn from our mistakes we are doomed to repeat them...or something like that.

A lot of you touched on the idea that it's about state of mind, and I think that's what's bugging me most. I felt great through the whole process, then I looked at the photos and totally deflated. Well, next time will be better.

Cheers
:love:

Jocelyn Quivers
03-07-2010, 09:27 AM
It happens to me all the time. It also seems to be getting worse for me in my case because I am starting to get even more and more critical of every picture I take.

Topsykret
03-07-2010, 09:51 AM
I always take pictures whenever I get changed into a woman. I'm still around 100 to 200 photos and each time I ended up keeping a few.

The most important when you take photos is always overexposed your photos a little. Moreover, a good basis for photoshop retouch or lighten contrast or another.

Also, I think having a good camera is a plus. I take my pictures in RAW, with a good post-processing software you can make miracles.

diane51
03-07-2010, 10:09 AM
It sounds like just about everyone has had less than desirable photo sessions including myself. Sometimes the results just don't turn out right for whatever reason. I try to reduce this by taking a few test photos and looking at them closely and correcting what I can, what I think may be wrong ie: lighting, makeup, hair style, clothing.
Sometimes I just delete the entire file and pass it off as a bad hair day.

AmberNation
03-07-2010, 11:03 AM
Another thing that could help is to know that "looking good in person makeup" and "looking good in photos" makeup are two different things. At least for me anyway. If I want good photos then I tend to over do it with the makeup or go for a somewhat more extreme look.
And take lots of photos and just keep the good ones.

Kayla_CD
03-07-2010, 05:31 PM
Another thing that could help is to know that "looking good in person makeup" and "looking good in photos" makeup are two different things. At least for me anyway. If I want good photos then I tend to over do it with the makeup or go for a somewhat more extreme look.
And take lots of photos and just keep the good ones.

That's so true! It seems like I need to go back and add a lot more eyeliner for it to show up in the photos. But it looks too much in the mirror.