PDA

View Full Version : Barbarianettes at the gate

SuzanneBender
03-07-2010, 04:31 PM
What you are about to read is not all my own. I must give a special lady credit for most of the wonderful experience I had yesterday. Sara Jessica is one of the most beautiful articulate, witty, classy women that I have had the opportunity to meet. She also has the courage of a lioness and an unmatched fashion sense. As you will notice as you read on both are interrelated. In Sara’s own words we “owned Macy’s last night”. I will take it one step farther and attest that we didn’t just own Macy’s we made a conquest of LA yesterday. The only thing that saved multiple retail outlets from the superior prowess of these fashionistas was time. Well that and our desire to slow down a little bit and spend some girl time relaxing and talking.

The day started as every good conquest does with a tall Frapachino from Starbucks and a trip to get my nails done. The uniform for this expedition was my fave pair of Levis 505 straight leg jeans, a simple brown drape neck sweater with a floral print kelly green scarf, and my Worthington 2 ½ ankle boots. You will see the pics below, but don’t run down there and peek yet. I have a wonderful Kathi Lake inspired tale of feminine conquest and bounty gathering to tell.

Sara told me of a wonderful little nail salon that she had heard great things about so I sat out for a quick mani before Sara and I met. I walked in and asked if they had room for a walk in. I guess that’s why they call it a walk in.
A lady with a huge smile and petite frame that was sitting at the first station said of course and asked me to pick my color and have a seat. Picking colors is always a difficult challenge for me. I guess its mild A.D.D. I see one color I love and then find another one before I even pick that one up. As Sara can attest I also have this same difficulty shoe shopping. We will get to the tale of the Battle of the Macy’s sales rack later. For now back to my mani. I picked a wonderful shade. I don’t know the name, but it is a metallic lavender. I hadn’t had my nails done for over three weeks so Amanda had a little work cut out for her especially after I broke two nails handling baggage on my flight to LA.

She set in working and chatting away with me. The lady in the Spa chair next to me also chimed in on our conversation. “I haven’t seen you here before. Did you just move to our neighborhood or trying the best nail salon in town for the first time.” I rocked her world when I told her from Kansas. Both Amanda and the lady took a double take as if to say who would be from Kansas and why are they in our territory. I explained to them that I was in town for a conference and I decided that I needed a weekend to myself to relax. All the while I was thinking to myself. Here I am a 6’ tall baritone voice Tgal and they don’t even raise an eyebrow, but mention I am a Kansan and I am the odd one. I LOVE LA! We chatted about the ladies new town house, Amanda and her family's recent trip to Cancun and Sara and my impending subjugation of their local retail clothing establishments. She did a wonderful job on my nails and they wished me well as I went back to the hotel to wait on Sara and the next phase of Operation Fashion Conquest.

When I first mentioned to Sara that I was coming to LA I suggested that I was looking to frequent some of the now defunct TG makeover artists in LA. She immediately put her foot down and said there would be none of that. First both places I mentioned were out of business and second she had much better alternatives. She suggested that we work out and appointment with a close friend of hers that is a make up artiste here in LA. The woman is wise beyond all reason. More on the tale of meeting Sara’s ally in all that is makeup in a bit and there are pics too. Hey stop it what did I say about jumping forward. Pour another cup of coffee, wine or tea and sit back. Not since Xena was cancelled have we seen a day chalked full of fuzzy warm femme adventure like the one that I am about to tell you.

I hadn’t been back at the hotel only minutes when my phone rang. It was Sara. She was in the parking lot. She came up. A hug, a short chat, and a few things tossed in the purse inaugurated our expedition. Like Lewis and Clark, Thelma and Louise, Bert and Earnie we were unsure of our final destination, but I could tell from the beginning that the destination would include a great new friend.

Sara, being indigenious, opted to drive and lead the expedition. I was happy to ride and soak in the unabashed female vibe of the day. The soft California rain falling, the beautiful music on the radio and the rolling winding roads through Beverly Hills made for what Sara has coined, “a perfect state of right”. We chatted about how the area we were driving through on Sunset had the feel of feminity. Maybe it was the perfume, maybe it was the rain, but I swear I could even smell it. I know I cold feel it. It feels like a warm soft cuddly blanket embracing you.

Our first destination was our makeover with her friend D. We headed to Nordies at the Grove Mall. The mall is gorgeous outside and the architecture screamed Classy Dames come conquer my stores please. Sara guided her SUV through the parking structure with the grace and skill of Danica Patrick. We parked on the 6th floor which meant a ride down several floors of escalators to get to the shopping level. I couldn’t help but be overwhelmed between the view of downtown LA, all of the people moving to and fro, and being just another lady the crowd. Sara has described this experience as the, ‘moment of being” and she is so right. All things come into context and you are you. You are not out of place. You become just simply just another note in the melodious song of life. We also talk about the gift of our “situation”. I will be the first to admit I have not always looked at it as gift. There have been times that I have looked upon my transgenderism as a curse, but these “moments of being” make me realize it truly is a gift. All of the turmoil caused by being a different sounding note make those moments when you fit into the melody so special and so perfect. None of the other notes have the appreciation for that moment only us. It is the blessing of being the special note and when the moments string together they feel like the perfect Sax solo in a smooth Jazz ballad. Or maybe it was just the Muzac playing over the speakers on the escalator that was getting to me.

I promised myself a walk on the beach today as Suzanne. I hate to do this but I will need to divide these posts. I promise to take my laptop with me and complete the story as I sit and the end of Santa Monica pier tonight watching the Sunset.

charlie
03-07-2010, 05:01 PM
Hello Suzanne!
Loved the line about being a 6' Tall T-Girl and the only strange thing about you to the ladies in the salon was that you were from Kansas! Sounds like your conference in LA was a good one. Glad you enjoyed CA.

SuzanneBender
03-07-2010, 06:21 PM
We crossed through the center court of the mall strolling towards Nordies. For you Midwest gals I felt like I was ambling along the sideways of the Plaza. The atmosphere was exactly like the Country Club Plaza on the first cool spring day of the year when the fountains are flowing and the skies are blue (and the dear and antelope play all dayJ).

We moved through the front door of Nordies and was confronted with a crowd of challenging proportions in the make up area. Sara’s friend was at a station along the main entryway into the store so everyone passed by her station and she was currently assiting another woman with a makeover. Sara circled the makeup counters like a tigress preparing to pounce on her prey. I was cornered by a lady that chased us down screaming excuse me ladies excuse me. I was sure that this lady was out to ruin our expedition, but she immediately stopped those thoughts when she said you girls are looking fierce. She found my weakness, vanity, and she was exploiting it to her full advantage. She had a sales pitch for some pyramid body shaping lingerie scheme. I listened to her pitch took her flyer and have explored the website. I have to admit some of their products look wonderful, but I can’t see myself as the Queen (pun intended) of Amway type Lingerie and somehow I don’t see lingerie parties with me and the other girls going over too well with the wife. Needless to say I enjoyed her compliments enormously and will probably buy one of those rear lifting junk in the trunk panties from her site just to say thanks.

When I caught back up with my partnerette in conquest she was at the Estee Lauder counter getting a color match from on the most cheerful and cute associates in the area. As soon as she finished Sara’s color match and providing her with a sample she moved on to me. She even helped me with taking care of a little shine on my nose just so I looked like I was in total control of my makeup technique when I went to do my make over. She shared with me that the ladies whose makeup is flawless before they hit the chair get the expert treatment compared the novice or intermediate treatment that the ladies without perfect makeup get. I am not sure that this is true but it made me giggle and does make a little sense.

Sara being the mistress of the makeup counter had already moved on. Now she was sampling fragrances. This gal is a dynamo. In 10 minutes we had color matches and fragrance samples all while waiting on a make over. I began to doubt my worthiness to place myself in the same class with Sara when it comes to the land of the make up counters. Then the eye of the huntress wandered to the designer shoes. She prowled across the isle and began to move among the shoes. I followed taking note of her every technique all while attempting to regain my breath after seeing all of the darling shoes that I couldn’t help but fall in love with. Her eye caught our initial prey the sales rack! In seconds Sara had her right shoe off and sampling high heeled fun at a discount. I followed suit. Go figure we wear the same size shoes! I also realized the second truism of life. First, never match wits with a Scilian. Second, don’t wear boots out shoe shopping. It was my first time with this faux paux. They are too hard to get on and off. I will never do that again. no matter the weather. A girl has to have her priorities.

Sara had the cutest pair of Jessica Simpson ballet flats. I fell in love with them and what did we find on the rack? We found a pair very similar to hers but black with a little stiffer upper. WooHoo my first take of the day.

Sara was not distracted by my find. Her superhuman store senses allowed her to realize the D was finishing up with her client. She told me that we needed to head back over to the Makeup department. I couldn’t tear myself away from the shoes. I didn’t just like them. I needed them. My feet would no longer be complete without them. I told her to move on without me and I would catch up. At that point the sales associate realized my infatuation with these shoes and came over to help me. Complimenting my (ultimately Sara’s) taste in shoes she informed me that she had just purchase a pair like mine in size 6 last night. The optimist in me loved the compliment. The pessimist wanted to call her names for having a size 6 foot and an employee discount. She set off to find the partner to my shoe and upon her return I immediately set out to the check out to by my shoes and the quickly moved over to the makeover station that Sara had already occupied.

Sara introduced me to D. D is a fantastic woman and truly and artist. I was worried about meeting D because her and Sara are close friends and I didn’t want to be the third wheel. That couldn’t have been farther from the case. The entire store soon disappeared and we were simply three women in the middle of a makeup paradise. It was another moment of being. D’s station was literally right next to the front door. I am a people watcher and enjoyed watching the people enter and leave the store. Sara and I were there for well over an hour and in that time close to 1,000 people walked by. There was not a comment. There was nothing more than an extended glance every now and then. Well there was the little older lady that walked up while I was getting my makeover and just stared for a minute or two. She didn’t say a word. I am still wrinkling my brow trying to figure out what that was about. D did an exquisite job on Sara’s make up. That is not difficult Sara is a beautiful woman.

It was my turn at the chair. Sara had to run to the car to get some professional pictures she had done that she wanted D to see. There I was by myself with this wonderful makeup artist in the middle of a busy store in LA. I commented to D that I felt exposed when she removed my makeup. The regional event coordinator for the makeup line wandered over to our area and was making small talk with us. She had an energy that was intoxicating and infectous. She heard my comment and told me dear you are naturally beautiful then only thing that is exposed is a gorgeous woman. I almost passed out as all the blood from my body rushed to my face in a huge blush. Wrap that lady up. I will take two of her. She is great for the ego! Sara came back and the conversation continued. During our makeovers we chatted of woman things, boyfriends (D’s not ours), girlfriends (plutonic not romantic), working out, dieting, kids and it wrapped me in that pure warm feminine blanket once again. No amount of drinking beer, throwing back hot wings and watching the game with the boys could ever match this feeling.

Sara and I both made purchases while we were there. I was very impressed with their products and bought enough to get the free tote bag LOL. Sara showed D and I her photos while we waited on them to pull product. OMG this gal can take a photo. She looked like a young college coed! While we were waiting I noticed another “tall” lady checking out. She was staring over at us. When we made eye contact she smiled and winked. I returned the gesture. She looked fabulous and I am sure was experiencing the feeling of being that special note in the melody of life as I was at that moment.

We had taken our first objective. Nordstrom’s was ours. Now that we had a foothold, some bounty and fierce makeovers it was time to move on to the rest of LA!

Kathi Lake
03-07-2010, 07:25 PM
Suze,

I hope you don't mind me hacking and butchering your post to ribbons as I post to various sections. :)

Sara Jessica is one of the most beautiful articulate, witty, classy women that I have had the opportunity to meet.That is entirely correct and factual (it's all about the "factual" these days :)). Understand, Suzanne, that you do share many of these fine qualities with Sara.

I have a wonderful Kathi Lake inspired tale of feminine conquest and bounty gathering to tell.Yeah, right. :) Bring it on!!

. . .but mention I am a Kansan and I am the odd one.Kansas, dear heart. Kansas. Just think about it. We'll give you time. :)

. . . these “moments of being” make me realize it truly is a gift.And it truly is. I have never really felt otherwise. I feel I am blessed to be able to break the barriers that mere mortal males make mandatory. :)

I hate to do this but I will need to divide these postsAnd what's wrong with bite-sized chunks? Sure, Christina may get mad, but, . . . :)

She shared with me that the ladies whose makeup is flawless before they hit the chair get the expert treatment compared the novice or intermediate treatment that the ladies without perfect makeup get. I am not sure that this is true but it made me giggle and does make a little sense.That's why I always go to a makeover already made up. It's easy to remove, I can show them the techniques I already use so they can tell me where to improve, plus I love putting on makeup. It's fun!

I also realized the second truism of life. First, never match wits with a Scilian.Hmmmm. I thought the first one was to never get involved in a land war in Asia. :)

The entire store soon disappeared and we were simply three women in the middle of a makeup paradise. It was another moment of being.Yes, yes, yes!! That is totally it! You stop thinking you're a guy in a dress. You stop worrying what others may think. You just are. It's bonding on a level that just doesn't seem to happen in Guy Land. I'm not saying you ride a magic unicorn to Girly Land and are suddenly transformed into a woman and every other woman accepts you. I'm saying that you just accept yourself, and they accept you at face-value. Sigh. It's nice.

She heard my comment and told me dear you are naturally beautiful and the only thing that is exposed is a gorgeous woman.She's right, you know!

No amount of drinking beer, throwing back hot wings and watching the game with the boys could ever match this feeling.Guy-bonding can be fun, but the same feeling just isn't there. Guy-bonding is usually done for/during an event (sports game, etc.). Girl-bonding is the event.

Now that we had a foothold, some bounty and fierce makeovers it was time to move on to the rest of LA!Girl, I'm almost in tears for you both as I read this - and not just because I missed out. I'm glad you had a little "Sara-Time" and saw just how far being comfortable in your skin can take you. Let's hope that her fashion bug didn't bite you too much. Suzanne, I can't wait for the rest of the tale to come. By all means, let it come at your pace.

Kathi

helena.gcd
03-07-2010, 08:02 PM
i've read it and i can barely wait for the next post.
please, suzanne, we want to know more about your fantastic day, please.
(don't tell anyone, but i feel a bit envious of your wonderful and feminine day :o )

Sara Jessica
03-07-2010, 08:13 PM
I love the tale so far and can vouch for it being 1000% factual (thanks for the reminder Kathi).

Also, I can't wait to chime in but today I'm reduced to short posts because it's all about "hunni-do" Sunday to make up for the hall pass I was granted yesterday to go out with Suzanne. Can't wait to read the next chapters!!!

Kathi Lake
03-07-2010, 09:00 PM
I love the tale so far and can vouch for it being 1000% factual (thanks for the reminder Kathi).

Also, I can't wait to chime in but today I'm reduced to short posts because it's all about "hunni-do" Sunday to make up for the hall pass I was granted yesterday to go out with Suzanne. Can't wait to read the next chapters!!!Well, I'm glad that you can play tit for tat with your wife! It's so nice that you can get a hall pass! I hope you don't break a nail on all those honey-dos!

Kathi

PretzelGirl
03-07-2010, 10:27 PM
Wow. Suzanne and Sara; you are both blessed for being able to have this day with each other. I am ready for more! This is shaping up to be a dream day that most of us would want (okay, it is already without any more to be told). But more would be awesome too!

Miranda09
03-07-2010, 11:04 PM
I absolutely love this thread Suzanne. It sounded like such a wonderful time I wish I could have been there with you and Sara, and be that third wheel you were referring to. Hope you post some pics soon. I'd love to see how great you must have looked. :)

Sara Jessica
03-08-2010, 12:07 AM
Well, I'm glad that you can play tit for tat with your wife! It's so nice that you can get a hall pass! I hope you don't break a nail on all those honey-dos!

Kathi

No, couldn't break a nail. Sadly, I had to cut them. They were crazy long for my day to day existence!

Fab Karen
03-08-2010, 01:16 AM
The only thing stranger than people from Kansas is people from Texas:D

The Grove is kinda like a corner of DisneyLand. Weekends it can be a sea of people. Glad you enjoyed your time here ( you should've given some notice before coming ).
As Randy Newman alludes to, we have it all. :)

SuzanneBender
03-08-2010, 01:25 AM
No, couldn't break a nail. Sadly, I had to cut them. They were crazy long for my day to day existence!

Oh girl next thing you are going to tell me is that you took off that beautiful polish also. Your nails were so pretty. Damn the molding and drywall! :sad:

Time for the next part of the post and a few photos. The tale of the great fashion blitzkrieg of 2010 continues...

Next stop Sara’s Mom is having a birthday and Sara needed to pick up what I considered to be an extremely thoughtful and wonderful gift for her mother. She immediately proved her womanhood by doing something a man would never do! We were in a hurry because some ditz. Yes you guessed it, me, forgot her cell phone. This was a significant tactical error in the shopping assault on LA and to make up for the time that we needed to get my phone Sara decided to forgo browsing. She when straight to the sales associate and asked where the herb gardens were. I couldn’t help but think had I been in guy mode, no matter how much a hurry I was in, I would not have asked for help but in gal mode it seemed perfectly natural. The gift Sara bought was cute. I was an herb garden with three large beautifully decorated pots a gorgeous wrought iron planter and three types of herb seed. I also found myself thinking as the sales associate boxed the gift, “This looks like it could be heavy. We need a guy to help us carry it to the car.” The box came with handles and Sara carried it fine. The girl must work out a lot.

Thanks to my blonde moment with my Iphone we were on our way to my hotel. This saved the rest of the Grove Mall from a certain plundering of fashions and accessories. I still can’t believe I forgot that silly phone. Sara had called me when she showed up at the hotel. Initially I thought the item swallowing purse just didn’t want to give it up, but then after a little bit of effort I realized while we were at Nordies awaiting our makeover that I had forgotten to put my phone back in my purse. This normally would not have been a big deal, but we were also trying to arrange to meet Diane at some point during the day or for dinner that evening. Another ally in our assault on LA could have been used. However, Diane’s phone went to voice mail and we were not able to meet. I spoke with her later in the evening and we are hoping to do dinner later this week.

Sara suggested given the time that we prepare ourselves for the next round on the battlefield of fashion. This time the operational environment would include dinner. Casual wear would not do in this battle. The situation called for us to dig deep into the fashionista arsenal. Sara’s ourfit was beautiful. Sure to say to any sales associate willing to do battle that she knew fashion and victory would surely be ours. My outfits wasn’t nearly as beautiful as Sara’s. It was a simple green and black crinkle blouse with a black pencil skirt wide patent belt and black wrap. The heels I pulled from my closet would be my motivation to do battle with a vigor that I have not experienced since the day after Christmas sales this past December.

We decided the mall closest to where I was staying was probably a good opportunity to find a nice mid level dining experience. What we didn’t anticipate was what was waiting for us just inside the mall! As we pulled in the Mall Parking lot it began to rain really hard. My second tactical mistake of the evening. My umbrella which I so proudly brandished prior to our departure for the grove mall had made it into my tote that was free with my purchase of my make up. Guess where the tote was. Yes you are right back in my room. Right about in the same area that I had left my Iphone. Sara and I waited out the storm for a few minutes. Sara freshened her makeup and I lamented my forgotten umbrella as well as my choice of heels for the evening. I had worn open back wedges. Not the most suitable heels for a long stroll through the mall and even less suitable for running across the parking lot in the rain.

Our conversation turned to our theories on why we were never as hungry in gal mode as we normally are in guy mode. We had burned numerous calories so far today and my total caloric intake to this point consisted of my Frapachino and a hand full of trail mix before meeting Sara. I don’t believe she had much more than that all day and both of us were discussing how we were not really hungry. Woman does not live on bread alone. Her soul and her body can be fueled by friendship.

The rain let up and we decided to make a run, shuffle in my case, for it. The doors to Macy’s were our destination and as we made it through the doors we were confronted with our next challenge. It was a 75% off shoe sale! Time for a bee line to the 9 ½ to 10 sales rack. Prior fashionistas had plundered the rack. Shoes were in all manner of arrangement and even piled on the floor. The area was crawling with bargain hungry rivals for our fashion booty. Sara was not fazed in the least. She immediate got to the business of shopping. I had a goal in mind. Replace my poor choice of shoes tonight with a pair that matched my outfit and was comfy. Unfortunatley my A.D.D. was kicking in again. I would see a pair and before I could shape them up something shinny or cute would catch my eye and I would be onto my next pair of shoes. I think Sara had tried on three or four pairs and was coaching a natal woman that had obviously noticed her superior shopping abilities and requested her assistance.

My tact was getting me no where. Its nights like tonight that make me feel like Shena the queen of the giant Amazon woman. Every cute pair of shoes that I found had at least a 3 ½ inch heel. That’s all wonderful and great if you are Sara’s perfect height but an extra 3 ½ inches brings me concern that I may have to duck when walking through doors. I decided to adopt a new tactic. Not since my dating years in college have I used a tactic like this.

My roomie in college was one of those guys that could make a gal swoon and had an endless rotation of gorgeous girls to date. It didn’t take his skinny, goofy, awkward, sweet, and sensitive roommate long to figure out that after his “girlfriends” were tired of his playboy antics that I could move in and prove that not all men are pigs. Viola, I could apply this same tactic to shoe shopping with Sara. Obviously she had a knack for finding the perfect shoes in a sea of heels, flats and mules. She was tossing back catches that I would have been thrilled to mount in my shoe rack back home.

She found the cutest pair of Betseyville heels. They have a cork design toe and heel with an ankle strap and the cutest little black bows on the toe. They were different but I have a couple of LBD’s that they would go perfect with. Sara decided that she didn’t want them and I asked if I could try them on. They fit perfect and were oh so comfy! Not to mention they were $140.00 pair of shoes that I was getting for $28.00. Then she found another treasure. Earlier in the day Sara had the cutest pair of gold Jessica Simpson Ballet flats on and guess what. They had the same shoe in a 10 here. I slipped it on and felt like Cinderella. It was perfect especially at less than $20.00. I still had not found the perfect shoes for my outfit this evening, but I was having fun and filling my closet’s shoe rack at the same time.

Enter the crazy sales associate. Kim was all of 4’10” and spoke like she had one too many espressos this evening. She snatched my shoes and asked if I wanted another 15% percent discount on the shoes. All I needed to do was use my Macy’s card. I have a natural aversion to credit cards. However, saving money is saving money and I would pay them off so I told her that I didn’t have a Macy’s card but was willing to apply for one. After I applied for the card she handed me back my shoes and told me to go find more shoes. While we were waiting on the application to clear I looked around for Sara and could not find her.

All I could think was where did she go? Then I found her. She had found another sales rack of shoes and was wandering around with some more new finds. This rack was the designer shoes. Sara had found a pair of heels. I am not sure who the designer was but they were totally cute with a heel that was at least 4”. She tried them on and another lady next to us couldn’t help but tell her how cute the shoes were. Sara said she wasn’t sure about them. They were too tall. I was browsing through the rack when she told Sara that there is not such thing as a too tall heel. I chuckled to myself because this woman could have been a power forward with me on the Los Angeles Wave or any other WNBA team. She asked Sara if she could try them on. Darn it! She beat me to the punch. The heels were high and life would really be risky with them on in a room with a ceiling fan, but goodness they were cute. I guess this lady must have had a roommate like mine in college.

Sara had also found a pair of flats. These were just not flats these were some of the classiest flats I had seen all day and best of all the matched my outfit. The were a black and dark green alligator pattern by Joan and David’s. What a find. Then shoe god’s were shining on me Sara said she loved the flats but really didn’t have anything to go with them. Half my wardrobe is black the other half is varying shades of darker green. These shoes would get a work out if they had a home in my closet. I couldn’t help myself. I asked Sara if I could try them on. Like the true friend she is she said yes. Guess what they matched my outfit for the evening. My feet were saved thanks to my friend and shopping compatriot.

To be continued. For security sake I have moved the photos to the photos section so only our members can see them. I will post the link once I complete the thread.

Sara Jessica
03-08-2010, 10:06 AM
Well I have a little time this morning so I'll try to do this thread a little justice. It's really hard though to add value to the perfect descriptions Suzanne has already provided. Reading your words Suzanne makes it way too easy to relive the events of the day.

I'll start with my early routine, not that it was interesting in the least bit. Goal was to get out of the house by 8:00 a.m. or so which would give me time for the typical change-on-the-fly routine and to get my nails done. I had suggested that we do the nail thing on our own because it can be time consuming for two walk-in's at the same time, depending on available salon staff. And besides, once Suzanne and I got together there'd be way too much to talk about.

My outfit was simple, NYDJ (for those who are paying attention, my newest fav pair of jeans by Not Your Daughter's Jeans...really, I should be looking for a different color by now I love them so much) and a top by Go Jeans Los Angeles. I happen to have 5 tops by this designer who makes use of whimsical patterns and sometimes jeweled adornment on a canvas of the lightest and luxurious fabric that is super thin, almost sheer but not quite. This one had no jewels and the pattern was shades of the lightest of greens, earthy golden tones and hint of light purple, a mix that is really hard to describe. Roundng out the outfit are these new gold flats by Jessica Simpson that Suzanne had already described. Ballet flats and comfort are my new love and I stumbled on these about a week ago at my local Macy's for all of $18-ish, marked down from $59. These particular flats feel like your feet are nestled in pillows. Now that's something you definately don't see in guy-wear, a shoe that feels like your warmest slippers yet looks classy enough to wear with a lot of different looks. I guess this is something we'll call our little secret that guys will just never get ;).

I got my nails done at a little salon that I often go to, a place where they now know this girl when she walks through the door. Of course they are always trying to upsell me, offering me things like eyelash extensions (like that would go over well in guy mode...I don't bother to tell them about my other side). What was fun about this visit is that while I was waiting, I was fumbling with the clasp on this charm bracelet I have. These two older hispanic gals were eyeing me up and down. I offer this description because from a cultural standpoint, women like this are typically very conservative, often good for a nice sneer. But one of them smiles and approaches me, asking where I got the bracelet. I told her it was a Coach and she translated for her friend which promptly made her eyes pop out and I think I saw the little $$$$'s in a bubble above her head. The woman who engaged me then offered to do the clasp for me, thank goodness as it might have taken me another 10 minutes to get it by myself. We actually chit-chatted on and off throughout my salon visit which was a lot of fun. I hope this woman has positive things to take away from her encounter with someone from our community.

As I mentioned before, my nails were crazy long...that is for guy mode. They passed critical mass at least 10 days before but knowing there could be an outing in store, I pushed the envelope. So after the mani & pedi, I hit the road running a good half hour plus behind schedule. However, I was comforted to see a messge from Suzanne saying she was running way behind as well.

I hadn’t been back at the hotel only minutes when my phone rang. It was Sara. She was in the parking lot. She came up. A hug, a short chat, and a few things tossed in the purse inaugurated our expedition.

Suzanne presents as a beautiful woman with such an engaging personality. Within seconds I knew the girl who writes in these pages with such a natural and slightly sassy feminine wit was exactly the one who I'd be spending the day with. In other words, there is nothing contrived in her written presentation, it's as naturally feminine to the core as it comes.

Sara, being indigenious, opted to drive and lead the expedition. I was happy to ride and soak in the unabashed female vibe of the day. The soft California rain falling, the beautiful music on the radio and the rolling winding roads through Beverly Hills made for what Sara has coined, “a perfect state of right”. We chatted about how the area we were driving through on Sunset had the feel of feminity. Maybe it was the perfume, maybe it was the rain, but I swear I could even smell it. I know I cold feel it. It feels like a warm soft cuddly blanket embracing you.

Our first destination was our makeover with her friend D. We headed to Nordies at the Grove Mall. The mall is gorgeous outside and the architecture screamed Classy Dames come conquer my stores please. Sara guided her SUV through the parking structure with the grace and skill of Danica Patrick. We parked on the 6th floor which meant a ride down several floors of escalators to get to the shopping level. I couldn’t help but be overwhelmed between the view of downtown LA, all of the people moving to and fro, and being just another lady the crowd. Sara has described this experience as the, ‘moment of being” and she is so right. All things come into context and you are you. You are not out of place. You become just simply just another note in the melodious song of life. We also talk about the gift of our “situation”. I will be the first to admit I have not always looked at it as gift. There have been times that I have looked upon my transgenderism as a curse, but these “moments of being” make me realize it truly is a gift. All of the turmoil caused by being a different sounding note make those moments when you fit into the melody so special and so perfect. None of the other notes have the appreciation for that moment only us. It is the blessing of being the special note and when the moments string together they feel like the perfect Sax solo in a smooth Jazz ballad. Or maybe it was just the Muzac playing over the speakers on the escalator that was getting to me.

How could I not drive? I'm the local and Suzanne actually bought it that I knew where I was going! ;)

Suzanne, you have such a memory as you have pegged so many Sara-ism's. Must be because she is such a good listener. It was a perfect state of right in that as I have said before, the city was ours for the taking. I'll say this right now, the day was priceless in that it was never about the "tg", only the "w", something I've experienced before and know it when I feel it. So wonderful that the feeling stuck around for the entire day.

I hadn't been to The Grove in many years and that was only one time in guy mode. I didn't remember how beautiful the setting is, not unlike that outdoor plaza in Glendale, Americana I think it's called. Suzanne and I glided through the crowd as my vision kept sight on the periphery, nary a second glance detected.

The setting was pefect, cloudy, clean & crisp air, ponds & fountains all about and music in the background...not to mention we were about to meet up with my dear friend who I knew would treat Suzanne like an absolute princess.

I promised myself a walk on the beach today as Suzanne. I hate to do this but I will need to divide these posts. I promise to take my laptop with me and complete the story as I sit and the end of Santa Monica pier tonight watching the Sunset.

I hope you got your beach visit in Suzanne, and stayed clear of those wicked little thunderstorms that came through yesterday. I too must move into "to be continued" land.

SuzanneBender
03-08-2010, 10:52 AM
Sara cute and kind is just not fair. Its so hard for the rest of us to live up to. Your words are too sweet.

I did make it to the beach. Watched the sunset and then went to in and out burger and stopped of at Ralphs to buy some water. I will post another thread on it with pictures after I finish our thread. OMG this trip is fun, but I am getting writters cramp!

Kathi Lake
03-08-2010, 11:32 AM
Keep it coming, ladies! I love your descriptions, and and am in awe of your day so far. The fun thing? I know you'll continue to wow me with the rest!

Kathi

Lorileah
03-08-2010, 12:10 PM
*flips to the last page of the book* What is this!!!! It's blank!!!! I don't have the patience to wait. *wonders if the story is complete in the kindle version*

Suzanne, this is like a fairytale isn't it? Well except there is no prince or tower... or dragons. Ok it is more like an Opera, with music as you describe. (there was thunder and lightning already as the heroine bravely crossed the open lot to reach...Valhalla (shoes dear shoes).

Which brings me to...size 9! And you had the audacity to want to take down the size 6 SA? Two words here, hun. World/Oyster. Try looking for 11 wides (12 if I can't find wides) at Nordstrom's and Macy's (ok Nords does have them on occasion).

I am so happy you are taking notes and learning. Sara is a good teacher. And you are passing that knowledge around on this board. Life should be fun. Life should be happy. Now you can see this.

I will drop another quarter in the machine now to continue this adventure.

Isn't it fascinating that OZ (LA) is in color???? (trying to fight the sepia tone reference to Kansas....I lose) :) C'mon didn't you feel like Dorothy when she first came to town? Bet you even saw the horse of a different color

Cassandra Lynn
03-08-2010, 01:07 PM
Drats Lorileah you beat me to the Dorothy line, well i might as well throw in this one "we are not in Kansas anymore". Keep it up Suzanne and Sara, this is so much fun and your writing skills are to die for!:daydreaming: mj :battingeyelashes:

Sarah Doepner
03-08-2010, 01:50 PM
Here I'm waiting for the next chapter in this wonderful saga and I'm afraid that it will be posted after I have to shut down the computer for the rest of the day.

I'll be patient and wait for it to come, so long as it all makes here. Don't leave out any details Suzanne or Sara, you have us all on the hook now.

sherri52
03-08-2010, 03:32 PM
Suzanne This is a great story. You and Sara had a great time. I don't see how anyone on this forum could have kept from reading it straight through. The two of you were so busy that I got tired just reading about all that you have done. Can't wait for the rest of the story. This is definitly a best seller.:hugs:

StaceyJane
03-08-2010, 03:34 PM
The only thing stranger than people from Kansas is people from Texas:D

Hey!!

SherriePall
03-08-2010, 04:08 PM
Now that I have read the story, you girls had a wonderful time, too. I already looked at the pics and we all know that you two looked gorgeous and were fashionably dressed!

RobertaM
03-08-2010, 06:02 PM
I have had the honor to have been with Sara on some social outings as well. Wow what a story, and a very much real incite to a day with the fashionishta.

Susanne i am so happy that you had and great day. And i m glad that you two got along. Your prose style is is wonderful,, your word smithing is intoxicating.

Ciao Roberta

VeronicaMoonlit
03-08-2010, 06:53 PM
I am jealous because I wish I had been there. It sounds like you both had a "Perfect Day" a la the Hoku song. "Operation LA Shopping" succeeded, fashionista warrioresses.

Veronica Rogers

Sara Jessica
03-08-2010, 09:14 PM
Alright, let's see if I can catch up, or even pass by our lovely hostess!!! ;)

We moved through the front door of Nordies and was confronted with a crowd of challenging proportions in the make up area.

I've tripped into one of these events at Nordstrom before. It's called Beauty on Location and it's not for those of us in tg land who might be faint of heart. Imagine chairs set up everywhere there's room filled with women getting anything from a quick touch up or technique lesson to full makeovers. It's busy, crowded, and beyond fun!!!

Sara’s friend was at a station along the main entryway into the store so everyone passed by her station and she was currently assiting another woman with a makeover. Sara circled the makeup counters like a tigress preparing to pounce on her prey. I was cornered by a lady that chased us down screaming excuse me ladies excuse me. I was sure that this lady was out to ruin our expedition, but she immediately stopped those thoughts when she said you girls are looking fierce. She found my weakness, vanity, and she was exploiting it to her full advantage. She had a sales pitch for some pyramid body shaping lingerie scheme. I listened to her pitch took her flyer and have explored the website. I have to admit some of their products look wonderful, but I can’t see myself as the Queen (pun intended) of Amway type Lingerie and somehow I don’t see lingerie parties with me and the other girls going over too well with the wife. Needless to say I enjoyed her compliments enormously and will probably buy one of those rear lifting junk in the trunk panties from her site just to say thanks.

Missed opportunity, you could have been on the top of a vast pyramid, marketing the perfect product by tapping a market they probably haven't though much of.

When I caught back up with my partnerette in conquest she was at the Estee Lauder counter getting a color match from on the most cheerful and cute associates in the area. As soon as she finished Sara’s color match and providing her with a sample she moved on to me. She even helped me with taking care of a little shine on my nose just so I looked like I was in total control of my makeup technique when I went to do my make over. She shared with me that the ladies whose makeup is flawless before they hit the chair get the expert treatment compared the novice or intermediate treatment that the ladies without perfect makeup get. I am not sure that this is true but it made me giggle and does make a little sense.

Estee Lauder is my line of choice but my friend was working Bobbi Brown. I genuinely needed a color match as my typical foundation is their Double Wear powder. However, that was color matched in the summertime when I have a bit of a tan going on so I need my perfect winter-into-spring shade. They can't sample the powder but she gave me a 10 day supply of the same shade in a liquid. Given how little I get a chance to wear makeup, that might last me six months.

Sara being the mistress of the makeup counter had already moved on. Now she was sampling fragrances. This gal is a dynamo. In 10 minutes we had color matches and fragrance samples all while waiting on a make over. I began to doubt my worthiness to place myself in the same class with Sara when it comes to the land of the make up counters.

Hey, I was offered a fragrance and she gave me a sample of my fav, Sensuous. Now I have a little tester size to keep in my car. And I agree with you, wasn't the SA on the Lauder counter so sweet? I could see going back to see her sometime down the road.

As for your worthiness, you're being silly. You were the perfect partner in crime Suzanne. I'm so glad you had fun even though my bouncing around might have been hard to keep up with.

Then the eye of the huntress wandered to the designer shoes. She prowled across the isle and began to move among the shoes. I followed taking note of her every technique all while attempting to regain my breath after seeing all of the darling shoes that I couldn’t help but fall in love with. Her eye caught our initial prey the sales rack! In seconds Sara had her right shoe off and sampling high heeled fun at a discount. I followed suit. Go figure we wear the same size shoes! I also realized the second truism of life. First, never match wits with a Scilian. Second, don’t wear boots out shoe shopping. It was my first time with this faux paux. They are too hard to get on and off. I will never do that again. no matter the weather. A girl has to have her priorities.

Sara had the cutest pair of Jessica Simpson ballet flats. I fell in love with them and what did we find on the rack? We found a pair very similar to hers but black with a little stiffer upper. WooHoo my first take of the day.

I guess I'm a lot like Kathi, distracted easy by shiny things (I just love that phrase), or in this case, a clearance shoe rack. I was just taking a peek while waiting for D to free up but still, I'm glad you found those cute flats!!!

Sara was not distracted by my find. Her superhuman store senses allowed her to realize the D was finishing up with her client. She told me that we needed to head back over to the Makeup department. I couldn’t tear myself away from the shoes. I didn’t just like them. I needed them. My feet would no longer be complete without them. I told her to move on without me and I would catch up. At that point the sales associate realized my infatuation with these shoes and came over to help me. Complimenting my (ultimately Sara’s) taste in shoes she informed me that she had just purchase a pair like mine in size 6 last night. The optimist in me loved the compliment. The pessimist wanted to call her names for having a size 6 foot and an employee discount. She set off to find the partner to my shoe and upon her return I immediately set out to the check out to by my shoes and the quickly moved over to the makeover station that Sara had already occupied.

I think size 6 is overrated. It seems to be much easier to find cute styles on clearance in a 9.5 than it is a 6. But wait, just how much this is true is a story for later on.

Sara introduced me to D. D is a fantastic woman and truly and artist. I was worried about meeting D because her and Sara are close friends and I didn’t want to be the third wheel. That couldn’t have been farther from the case. The entire store soon disappeared and we were simply three women in the middle of a makeup paradise. It was another moment of being. D’s station was literally right next to the front door. I am a people watcher and enjoyed watching the people enter and leave the store. Sara and I were there for well over an hour and in that time close to 1,000 people walked by. There was not a comment. There was nothing more than an extended glance every now and then. Well there was the little older lady that walked up while I was getting my makeover and just stared for a minute or two. She didn’t say a word. I am still wrinkling my brow trying to figure out what that was about. D did an exquisite job on Sara’s make up. That is not difficult Sara is a beautiful woman.

You would never be a third wheel. And while my friend Kim has met D several times, she has never been touched by her makeup brushes (by her choice and/or circumstance). You, on the other hand, have the distinction of being my first friend to experience her magic and for that I was so happy!

It was my turn at the chair. Sara had to run to the car to get some professional pictures she had done that she wanted D to see. There I was by myself with this wonderful makeup artist in the middle of a busy store in LA. I commented to D that I felt exposed when she removed my makeup. The regional event coordinator for the makeup line wandered over to our area and was making small talk with us. She had an energy that was intoxicating and infectous. She heard my comment and told me dear you are naturally beautiful then only thing that is exposed is a gorgeous woman. I almost passed out as all the blood from my body rushed to my face in a huge blush. Wrap that lady up. I will take two of her. She is great for the ego! Sara came back and the conversation continued. During our makeovers we chatted of woman things, boyfriends (D’s not ours), girlfriends (plutonic not romantic), working out, dieting, kids and it wrapped me in that pure warm feminine blanket once again. No amount of drinking beer, throwing back hot wings and watching the game with the boys could ever match this feeling.

Oh I know who you are talking about, the woman who made that comment. I wish I was there to hear it but then I might have gotten a little misty. But she's so right!

D is such a great conversationalist as well. I so enjoy her friendship and the fact that she genuinely cares about how my life is going as I do for her. It's always nice to catch up and I'm glad you were a part of it.

Sara and I both made purchases while we were there. I was very impressed with their products and bought enough to get the free tote bag LOL. Sara showed D and I her photos while we waited on them to pull product. OMG this gal can take a photo. She looked like a young college coed! While we were waiting I noticed another “tall” lady checking out. She was staring over at us. When we made eye contact she smiled and winked. I returned the gesture. She looked fabulous and I am sure was experiencing the feeling of being that special note in the melody of life as I was at that moment.

I don't think you mentioned, D was working Bobbi Brown for this event, a line I had yet to try. And honestly, I loved the product, could almost make me forget about the demise of Prescriptives. Given unlimited resources, I'd have bought the deluxe palette (shadow & lips), the eyeliner gel, foundation, lip liner and pretty much all of the skincare items. I ended up getting a toner (probably the most expensive one on the planet but I loved how it made my skin feel) and a concealer product.

You're too kind on my portraits, someday I may show them off in these pages!

And I didn't even see the other gal you were talking about. She must have blended very well.

We had taken our first objective. Nordstrom’s was ours. Now that we had a foothold, some bounty and fierce makeovers it was time to move on to the rest of LA!

I can't wait to hear the rest...oh yeah, I was there ;)!

SuzanneBender
03-08-2010, 10:46 PM
Sara here we go girl a little more to keep everyone enticed. The other T gal was beutiful she was standing over at the registers by the MAC counter and I would have never guess had we not both been a head taller than every other woman in the area and had she not smiled and winked.
Ladies thanks for all of you sweet comments about my writings. It’s easy to pen these things when you have an inspiration like Sara J. leading you through the day.
Quick recap….
Scene 1 - Nails on our own. Made to feel like an abnormality. Not because I was TG but because I was from Kansas. I now officially love LA especially when it rains and there is no smog. Thats the only time you can see the colors of OZ. J
Scene 2 – Meeting Sara. It was like opening a package of instant friend. All we had to do was add a little rain water and it was like we had been friends for years.
Scene 3 – Sara takes command of Nordies. Suzanne buys here first pair of shoes of the day. We meet all kinds of sweet ladies at the Makeup Counter and the sweetest of them all, D, gives us a super fab makeover. Free tote bag and a wink from another T gal in the section. Our first real moment of being.
Scene 4 – The dingy blonde realizes she forgot her phone. Sara is the sweetest daughter I know because she buys her mom the cutest gift. Sara over comes any semblance of a Y chromosome in her body by immediately asking the SA for help and I opine for a man to help us carry the box.
Scene 5 – I recover my cell phone. We miss Diane and change for dinner and the plundering of Macy’s.
Scene 6 – We have a wonderful conversation in the car waiting for the rain to let up. We run like girls right into the teeth of the Macy’s 75% off shoe sale. I bow to Sara’s superior shopping skills and fashionista sense in order to find my perfect shoes. Sara is helping the GG’s find shoes and I am helped by a crazy lady on a caffeine rush.

I think we are caught up.

Sara found a wonderfully cute pair of Coach Flats. Sara and I gave our shoes to the buzzing Sales Lady to go find their mates. Sara made note that she was down three pairs to one in our plundering. However, I must point out that every shoe I gave the lady was found and initially considered by my new found Master of Shopping. Therefore, the student was down four to none. Unless you count the Jessica Simpsons from Nordies and then I would have still been down four to one. This fashionista stuff is a tough game. Girls you have to be prepared if you are going to step into the shoe isle with the likes of someone like Sara or Kathi. I am now living proof.

Enter strange older lady number two of the day. We were waiting on the SA to return with our shoes when a little old lady came walking up to us and said with a deep accent, “such beautiful women”. I was taken aback. Had I been standing in enchanted woods and had she been wearing a black hooded cape I would have sworn she was the old crone from Snow White. I mean that only in the most loving way, but unfortunately I think is a fairly accurate description. She went on to tell us that she was French. I made my third tactical mistake of the day. In my best Kansas French, four years of it in High School and College, I told her I spoke a little French. Hey, I knew I shouldn’t, but how often do I get the chance to use a language that I seem to have wasted hours of my life learning. The evil stepmother in disguise replied back in French. Unfortunately, I could only make out about half of what she had said.

Sara must have seen the poison apple coming our way because she started to step away to break contact with the lady. I followed her move and soon she was moving on. Whew, that played out well. Think of the quandary it would have left us in if an apple had appeared and I would have taken a bite. Would it take Prince Charming or Princess Charming to break the spell? And poor Sara I didn’t see dwarf or bluebird one to comfort her had I been laying in a deep slumber across a display table somewhere.

Our SA reappeared and she was even more jazzed than when she left. The good news was she appeared with three full pairs of shoes. The bad news was the Jessica Simpson ballet flat was missing its significant other. The sales associate told me to keep shopping and find more shoes. I didn’t want more shoes. Ok, that’s a lie I did, but what I really wanted was a pair of those ballet flats.

Sara tried on her Coach flats. This pair of flats must have been designed by Steve Martin, because Sara immediately announced them to be cruel shoes and deemed them not worthy of her subjugation to her closet.

I went to check out with my two pairs of shoes. The SA told me the Joan and David’s rang up at 50% off rather the 75% percent off. What do I do? I really want and need these shoes. They don’t deserve a life on the sales rack. They need to have a loving home in my closet. I decided 50% is better than 100%. Besides what TG can argue with a name like Joan and David’s. I think it’s fitting. I decided to take them.
Sara and I started to walk away and I mentioned to her that the J&D’s were 50% not 75%. She stopped dead in her tracks. Had me open the bag and box and showed me a sticker that was 75% off. She said that she had even had another SA price check them. Ah ha, Kim, our sales associate, besides being wired like a squirrel that had just chowed down on a box of Vivarin was also trying to take advantage of the shy little Tgal. Ohhh I was mad and we all know there is nothing like the scorn of a woman. I marched over to the counter and demanded the give me the discount and I also wanted Kim to do it because I was going to give her a piece of my mind. The SA that was helping me was very respectful and paged Kim. Kim never came and Donny apologized for the overcharge and refunded my almost $50.00 of the purchase price.

Sara and I went to the makeup counters and she asked them to pull some product for her. They didn’t have the product. It was OK the SA wasn’t that helpful. I think she was jealous of our superior femininity. We went out in the mall to find the directory. I think this is the only mall in the area that does not have a decent sit down restaurant. We decided to drive back over to Ventura Boulevard and find a restaurant where we could properly celebrate our shopping victories of the day with more female bonding and some well deserved food and beverage.

Too Be Continued – Sorry ladies I have to write a paper for class. I will try to finish tonight if I get done in time.

Leslie Langford
03-09-2010, 12:29 AM
...I'm loving the way you're telling the story of your shopping expedition in installments, which is very much in the style of the old 1930's and 1940's movie serials as played out at every Saturday afternoon matinee at the old Bijou.

I'm on the edge of my seat and the suspense is killing me! I can't wait for the moment when either Snidely Whiplash or Oilcan Harry make their appearances to try to thwart their shopping efforts, and the furious piano or organ music playing in the background reaches a crescendo as the climax of the tale approaches :eek::D !

Will there be more hidden gems found on clearance shoe racks in nearby stores? Is there a long-lost Coco Chanel LBD lurking in wait for Suzanne at some obscure, out-of-the way vintage consignment store? Will Sara have to arm-wrestle some GG (best 2 falls out of 3) who has her eyes fixated on the same to-die-for silk scarf in the "final sale" clearance bin and is moving in for the kill at the very same time that she is? Will the ladies go for a night cap to take in the drag shows at the iconic Queen Mary Nightclub in Studio City, only to discover that, sadly, it has closed down???

Only The Shadow knows...:eek:

Sara Jessica
03-09-2010, 08:48 AM
Having caught up on my sleep a bit (did I tell everyone that all-day outings are tiring???)...

Picking up right after I left off, I wanted to share the message I received from D after our visit on Saturday...

It was wonderful seeing you yesterday. I had a great time and I hope you and Suzanne did too! She was so sweet and gorgeous! It was a pleasure to have met her. Hope the rest of your outing together was fantastic!

Such a sweet message and quite a compliment for Suzanne!!!

Oh girl next thing you are going to tell me is that you took off that beautiful polish also. Your nails were so pretty. Damn the molding and drywall! :sad:

Yes, the nails are cut down to a respectable length and the polish went kaput. All about keeping the peace and then not trying sooooo hard to out myself respectively.

Time for the next part of the post and a few photos. The tale of the great fashion blitzkrieg of 2010 continues...

The obligatory cross-promotional picture link...

www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127806

Next stop Sara’s Mom is having a birthday and Sara needed to pick up what I considered to be an extremely thoughtful and wonderful gift for her mother. She immediately proved her womanhood by doing something a man would never do! We were in a hurry because some ditz. Yes you guessed it, me, forgot her cell phone. This was a significant tactical error in the shopping assault on LA and to make up for the time that we needed to get my phone Sara decided to forgo browsing. She when straight to the sales associate and asked where the herb gardens were. I couldn’t help but think had I been in guy mode, no matter how much a hurry I was in, I would not have asked for help but in gal mode it seemed perfectly natural. The gift Sara bought was cute. I was an herb garden with three large beautifully decorated pots a gorgeous wrought iron planter and three types of herb seed. I also found myself thinking as the sales associate boxed the gift, “This looks like it could be heavy. We need a guy to help us carry it to the car.” The box came with handles and Sara carried it fine. The girl must work out a lot.

No, I'm just used to shopping bags!!! Seriously, the box had bigger bark than bite. The stuff inside wasn't heavy in the least bit. And trust me, I avoid heavy lifting like the plague!!!

I chalked this little excursion to Crate & Barrel to accomplishing the mundane while out and about. We are almost expected to do the makeup/shoes/clothes thing. After all, for many of us, that is simply part of our genetic code. And don't get me wrong, all of that is fun but a woman doesn't live on style alone. There is food to buy, stuff for the house, even presents for mom (yes, she loved it). So the only thing I would have done differently is to have the time to linger in Crate & Barrel for a bit longer, just to let the muggles know we do frequent fine establishments for more than makeup/shoes/clothes. However, it was my idea to keep moving quickly so that we could get back to pick up Suzanne's phone.

BTW, our charming SA helper never batted an eye. Kudos to her!

Thanks to my blonde moment with my Iphone we were on our way to my hotel. This saved the rest of the Grove Mall from a certain plundering of fashions and accessories. I still can’t believe I forgot that silly phone. Sara had called me when she showed up at the hotel. Initially I thought the item swallowing purse just didn’t want to give it up, but then after a little bit of effort I realized while we were at Nordies awaiting our makeover that I had forgotten to put my phone back in my purse. This normally would not have been a big deal, but we were also trying to arrange to meet Diane at some point during the day or for dinner that evening. Another ally in our assault on LA could have been used. However, Diane’s phone went to voice mail and we were not able to meet. I spoke with her later in the evening and we are hoping to do dinner later this week.

Too bad, contrary to some opinions in tg land, I'm a fan of "the more the merrier" when it comes to outings...well keeping it this side of a herd. I enjoy meeting new peeps and it would have been nice to connect with Diane.

Sara suggested given the time that we prepare ourselves for the next round on the battlefield of fashion. This time the operational environment would include dinner. Casual wear would not do in this battle. The situation called for us to dig deep into the fashionista arsenal. Sara’s ourfit was beautiful. Sure to say to any sales associate willing to do battle that she knew fashion and victory would surely be ours. My outfits wasn’t nearly as beautiful as Sara’s. It was a simple green and black crinkle blouse with a black pencil skirt wide patent belt and black wrap. The heels I pulled from my closet would be my motivation to do battle with a vigor that I have not experienced since the day after Christmas sales this past December.

Your outfit was absolutely lovely Suzanne. And who knew the top would be a perfect match for the flats you'd find later on.

As for mine, I desperately wanted to get in another use of boots before the seasons change. Of course a rainy evening was perfect but more importantly, there's something about breaking up a long day with a change like this, being utterly casual during the day and being able to look forward to dressing it up a bit for the evening.

We decided the mall closest to where I was staying was probably a good opportunity to find a nice mid level dining experience. What we didn’t anticipate was what was waiting for us just inside the mall! As we pulled in the Mall Parking lot it began to rain really hard. My second tactical mistake of the evening. My umbrella which I so proudly brandished prior to our departure for the grove mall had made it into my tote that was free with my purchase of my make up. Guess where the tote was. Yes you are right back in my room. Right about in the same area that I had left my Iphone. Sara and I waited out the storm for a few minutes. Sara freshened her makeup and I lamented my forgotten umbrella as well as my choice of heels for the evening. I had worn open back wedges. Not the most suitable heels for a long stroll through the mall and even less suitable for running across the parking lot in the rain.

Being 100% Californian, not only did I forget my umbrella but also my black coat. What a waste, not only from a practical standpoint but also because in these parts, I only get a chance to use a winter coat a few times a year, if that, and it was a missed opportunity not having it during this outing.

And I didn't even think about your heels Suzanne in the context of the weather. Had I done so, I would have recommended another choice. But it ended up being a non-issue because you promptly found a perfect substitute.

Our conversation turned to our theories on why we were never as hungry in gal mode as we normally are in guy mode. We had burned numerous calories so far today and my total caloric intake to this point consisted of my Frapachino and a hand full of trail mix before meeting Sara. I don’t believe she had much more than that all day and both of us were discussing how we were not really hungry. Woman does not live on bread alone. Her soul and her body can be fueled by friendship.

I put this up there with the concept of how the outing days seem to fly by in a blink of an eye and pretty much chalk it up to adrenelin, the type that keeps kids awake the night before Christmas rather than that which fuels typical male bravado. Besides, who has time to eat when there's so much fun to be had out there in this wonderful world of ours!

The rain let up and we decided to make a run, shuffle in my case, for it. The doors to Macy’s were our destination and as we made it through the doors we were confronted with our next challenge. It was a 75% off shoe sale! Time for a bee line to the 9 ½ to 10 sales rack. Prior fashionistas had plundered the rack. Shoes were in all manner of arrangement and even piled on the floor. The area was crawling with bargain hungry rivals for our fashion booty. Sara was not fazed in the least. She immediate got to the business of shopping. I had a goal in mind. Replace my poor choice of shoes tonight with a pair that matched my outfit and was comfy. Unfortunatley my A.D.D. was kicking in again. I would see a pair and before I could shape them up something shinny or cute would catch my eye and I would be onto my next pair of shoes. I think Sara had tried on three or four pairs and was coaching a natal woman that had obviously noticed her superior shopping abilities and requested her assistance.

Yes, twist my arm to check out a sale like this. The racks were a mess, they had already been rummaged with impunity. But it didn't take long to find some fun stuff, both styles that were simply fun to try on and others which had a legitimate chance of going home with me.

My tact was getting me no where. Its nights like tonight that make me feel like Shena the queen of the giant Amazon woman. Every cute pair of shoes that I found had at least a 3 ½ inch heel. That’s all wonderful and great if you are Sara’s perfect height but an extra 3 ½ inches brings me concern that I may have to duck when walking through doors. I decided to adopt a new tactic. Not since my dating years in college have I used a tactic like this.

My roomie in college was one of those guys that could make a gal swoon and had an endless rotation of gorgeous girls to date. It didn’t take his skinny, goofy, awkward, sweet, and sensitive roommate long to figure out that after his “girlfriends” were tired of his playboy antics that I could move in and prove that not all men are pigs. Viola, I could apply this same tactic to shoe shopping with Sara. Obviously she had a knack for finding the perfect shoes in a sea of heels, flats and mules. She was tossing back catches that I would have been thrilled to mount in my shoe rack back home.

She found the cutest pair of Betseyville heels. They have a cork design toe and heel with an ankle strap and the cutest little black bows on the toe. They were different but I have a couple of LBD’s that they would go perfect with. Sara decided that she didn’t want them and I asked if I could try them on. They fit perfect and were oh so comfy! Not to mention they were $140.00 pair of shoes that I was getting for $28.00. Then she found another treasure. Earlier in the day Sara had the cutest pair of gold Jessica Simpson Ballet flats on and guess what. They had the same shoe in a 10 here. I slipped it on and felt like Cinderella. It was perfect especially at less than $20.00. I still had not found the perfect shoes for my outfit this evening, but I was having fun and filling my closet’s shoe rack at the same time.

Those Jessica Simpson ballet flats must be the most comfortable shoe on the planet. And while I ended up losing the shoe battle 0-3, it was not for a lack of trying. But my enthusiasm to buy was tempered by the fact I had bought two pairs of shoes within the last week, the previously mentioned ballet flats and also a pair of BCBGirls peep heels. I only have so much room to store this kind of thing.

And yes, it was really hard to find gems in this sea of strewn shoes. A lot of what was left on the racks would be perfect...if one was a stripper who wears a size 10. Many ultra-high heeled strappy platforms that really do nothing for me personally.

Enter the crazy sales associate. Kim was all of 4’10” and spoke like she had one too many espressos this evening. She snatched my shoes and asked if I wanted another 15% percent discount on the shoes. All I needed to do was use my Macy’s card. I have a natural aversion to credit cards. However, saving money is saving money and I would pay them off so I told her that I didn’t have a Macy’s card but was willing to apply for one. After I applied for the card she handed me back my shoes and told me to go find more shoes. While we were waiting on the application to clear I looked around for Sara and could not find her.

All I could think was where did she go? Then I found her. She had found another sales rack of shoes and was wandering around with some more new finds. This rack was the designer shoes. Sara had found a pair of heels. I am not sure who the designer was but they were totally cute with a heel that was at least 4”. She tried them on and another lady next to us couldn’t help but tell her how cute the shoes were. Sara said she wasn’t sure about them. They were too tall. I was browsing through the rack when she told Sara that there is not such thing as a too tall heel. I chuckled to myself because this woman could have been a power forward with me on the Los Angeles Wave or any other WNBA team. She asked Sara if she could try them on. Darn it! She beat me to the punch. The heels were high and life would really be risky with them on in a room with a ceiling fan, but goodness they were cute. I guess this lady must have had a roommate like mine in college.

Sara had also found a pair of flats. These were just not flats these were some of the classiest flats I had seen all day and best of all the matched my outfit. The were a black and dark green alligator pattern by Joan and David’s. What a find. Then shoe god’s were shining on me Sara said she loved the flats but really didn’t have anything to go with them. Half my wardrobe is black the other half is varying shades of darker green. These shoes would get a work out if they had a home in my closet. I couldn’t help myself. I asked Sara if I could try them on. Like the true friend she is she said yes. Guess what they matched my outfit for the evening. My feet were saved thanks to my friend and shopping compatriot.

Yes, much to my amazement, there were two more huge sections of clearance shoes off in the distance. And it turns out the 4+ inch heels I found were these...

http://www.zappos.com/lamb-jarah-black-white

L.A.M.B. shoes are usually way too flashy for my taste but these were beyond cute and probably the most conservative of this Gwen Stefani design. They fit perfectly and were surprisingly comfortable. And yes, the woman you mentioned loved them. With the sale price being $75 after 75% off, I decided to be responsible and pass. But even funnier than this enthusiastic woman encouraging me was her troop of children that she had in tow. One little girl kept coming up to me, smiling and saying "those shoes are soooooo cute, you have to get them". Her little smile was so genuine, she seemed too young (I'm guessing she was about 7 or 8) for it to be anything but that.

As for those Joan & David flats, you are sooooo lucky Suzanne. I put them down simply because of the color, I wasn't able to think of anything I had that would be a good match, yet they matched the top you were wearing beautifully. You just had to buy them. But after we left Macy's, I thought of two reasons they should have been mine. The first is this deep green/black top that keeps calling my name from my fav boutique that would be a perfect match but also the fact I had completely forgotten about a $15 off $40 card in my purse which would have made those flats only $25, a deal I wouldn't have been able to resist in the least bit. But good for you, they were destined to land in your closet and besides, with the rain, you really needed them more than I.

Oh and look at this, I found your flats as well...

http://www.zappos.com/joan-david-ashling-medium-green-patent

Now I'm even more jealous of your deal ;)!!!

Sara Jessica
03-10-2010, 08:32 AM
Oh I think we lost much of our subscriber base, Suzanne. The thread must have crashed their computers under the weight of all the goodness, or is that wordiness??? Still, there's a story to be finished...

Sara here we go girl a little more to keep everyone enticed. The other T gal was beutiful she was standing over at the registers by the MAC counter and I would have never guess had we not both been a head taller than every other woman in the area and had she not smiled and winked.
Ladies thanks for all of you sweet comments about my writings. It’s easy to pen these things when you have an inspiration like Sara J. leading you through the day.
Quick recap….
Scene 1 - Nails on our own. Made to feel like an abnormality. Not because I was TG but because I was from Kansas. I now officially love LA especially when it rains and there is no smog. Thats the only time you can see the colors of OZ. J It's nice when it's quite windy as well.
Scene 2 – Meeting Sara. It was like opening a package of instant friend. All we had to do was add a little rain water and it was like we had been friends for years.
Scene 3 – Sara takes command of Nordies. Suzanne buys here first pair of shoes of the day. We meet all kinds of sweet ladies at the Makeup Counter and the sweetest of them all, D, gives us a super fab makeover. Free tote bag and a wink from another T gal in the section. Our first real moment of being.
Scene 4 – The dingy blonde realizes she forgot her phone. Sara is the sweetest daughter I know because she buys her mom the cutest gift. Sara over comes any semblance of a Y chromosome in her body by immediately asking the SA for help and I opine for a man to help us carry the box.
Scene 5 – I recover my cell phone. We miss Diane and change for dinner and the plundering of Macy’s.
Scene 6 – We have a wonderful conversation in the car waiting for the rain to let up. We run like girls right into the teeth of the Macy’s 75% off shoe sale. I bow to Sara’s superior shopping skills and fashionista sense in order to find my perfect shoes. Sara is helping the GG’s find shoes (poor female soul, she looked like a fish out of water. I don't think I've even met a woman so out of her element as she appeared, tetering in high heels) and I am helped by a crazy lady on a caffeine rush (I didn't mention but I'd swear I've seen her before).

I think we are caught up.

What a cute little summary! I especially like the instant friend analogy...good thing it was raining :). Otherwise, I added a few rainbow sprinkles to your comments above.

Sara found a wonderfully cute pair of Coach Flats. Sara and I gave our shoes to the buzzing Sales Lady to go find their mates. Sara made note that she was down three pairs to one in our plundering. However, I must point out that every shoe I gave the lady was found and initially considered by my new found Master of Shopping. Therefore, the student was down four to none. Unless you count the Jessica Simpsons from Nordies and then I would have still been down four to one. This fashionista stuff is a tough game. Girls you have to be prepared if you are going to step into the shoe isle with the likes of someone like Sara or Kathi. I am now living proof.

Enter strange older lady number two of the day. We were waiting on the SA to return with our shoes when a little old lady came walking up to us and said with a deep accent, “such beautiful women”. I was taken aback. Had I been standing in enchanted woods and had she been wearing a black hooded cape I would have sworn she was the old crone from Snow White. I mean that only in the most loving way, but unfortunately I think is a fairly accurate description. She went on to tell us that she was French. I made my third tactical mistake of the day. In my best Kansas French, four years of it in High School and College, I told her I spoke a little French. Hey, I knew I shouldn’t, but how often do I get the chance to use a language that I seem to have wasted hours of my life learning. The evil stepmother in disguise replied back in French. Unfortunately, I could only make out about half of what she had said.

Sara must have seen the poison apple coming our way because she started to step away to break contact with the lady. I followed her move and soon she was moving on. Whew, that played out well. Think of the quandary it would have left us in if an apple had appeared and I would have taken a bite. Would it take Prince Charming or Princess Charming to break the spell? And poor Sara I didn’t see dwarf or bluebird one to comfort her had I been laying in a deep slumber across a display table somewhere.

Perfect description Suzanne. And I could barely understand her English, let alone her French. But yes, she did have a poison apple underneath her cashmere cape, poised to feed an unsuspecting beauty. It was one of the more interesting interactions we attracted (see, all kinds of peeps wanted to know us!!!).

Our SA reappeared and she was even more jazzed than when she left. The good news was she appeared with three full pairs of shoes. The bad news was the Jessica Simpson ballet flat was missing its significant other. The sales associate told me to keep shopping and find more shoes. I didn’t want more shoes. Ok, that’s a lie I did, but what I really wanted was a pair of those ballet flats.

Sara tried on her Coach flats. This pair of flats must have been designed by Steve Martin, because Sara immediately announced them to be cruel shoes and deemed them not worthy of her subjugation to her closet.

Ahhhhh Coach shoes, a blessing and a curse. Some are among the most comfy shoes I own while there are a couple which will make your feet bleed no matter how long you try to break them in. These flats were cute but upon trying them on I felt these immediate pressure points that I'm sure would make unsuspecting feet cry out in pain. The price was beyond right, the downside was not.

And I couldn't believe they didn't have the matching JS ballet flat :(. I paid $17 and change and got a wonderful deal, your find would have been less than $15, even more of a steal.

I went to check out with my two pairs of shoes. The SA told me the Joan and David’s rang up at 50% off rather the 75% percent off. What do I do? I really want and need these shoes. They don’t deserve a life on the sales rack. They need to have a loving home in my closet. I decided 50% is better than 100%. Besides what TG can argue with a name like Joan and David’s. I think it’s fitting. I decided to take them.
Sara and I started to walk away and I mentioned to her that the J&D’s were 50% not 75%. She stopped dead in her tracks. Had me open the bag and box and showed me a sticker that was 75% off. She said that she had even had another SA price check them. Ah ha, Kim, our sales associate, besides being wired like a squirrel that had just chowed down on a box of Vivarin was also trying to take advantage of the shy little Tgal. Ohhh I was mad and we all know there is nothing like the scorn of a woman. I marched over to the counter and demanded the give me the discount and I also wanted Kim to do it because I was going to give her a piece of my mind. The SA that was helping me was very respectful and paged Kim. Kim never came and Donny apologized for the overcharge and refunded my almost $50.00 of the purchase price.

...and washed it down with a case of RockStar's!!!

She was trying way too hard, and then to try and pull that discount bait & switch, we just couldn't stand for that. C'mon, did she think we just emerged from the closet earlier that day???

Sara and I went to the makeup counters and she asked them to pull some product for her. They didn’t have the product. It was OK the SA wasn’t that helpful. I think she was jealous of our superior femininity. We went out in the mall to find the directory. I think this is the only mall in the area that does not have a decent sit down restaurant. We decided to drive back over to Ventura Boulevard and find a restaurant where we could properly celebrate our shopping victories of the day with more female bonding and some well deserved food and beverage.

This SA was fine at first, even trying their Estee Lauder counter on another floor to see if they had the two products I wanted that they were out of. But when she returned empty handed and I said we were going into the mall to grab a bite to eat but I would think about what I wanted and come back afterwards, she got this "yeah whatever" look on her face. So I said to my self, "yeah whatever, you just won't make a sale."

But why was there any sense of urgency one might ask??? Well Macy's Estee Lauder counters have a really nice GWP going on including four makeup brushes as a bonus if you spend over $55. My budget felt like it was playing "The Price Is Right", trying to spend as close to the $55 without going too far over that mark, yet still get product that I need.

Too Be Continued – Sorry ladies I have to write a paper for class. I will try to finish tonight if I get done in time.

I'm finally caught up now, anxiously awaiting the continuation....

Kathi Lake
03-10-2010, 11:18 AM
Suzanne, we're waiting as well. Get that paper done, missy! Haven't you heard of Wikipedia? Cut and Paste? Plagiarism?

:)

Kathi

femboy_01
03-15-2010, 09:37 AM
Did she finish the story or did I miss it?

Enquiring minds need to know!!!

Sara Jessica
03-16-2010, 06:22 PM
...anxiously awaiting the continuation....

Suzanne, we're waiting as well...

Such a common theme, even if only from the two of us.

Did she finish the story or did I miss it?

Enquiring minds need to know!!!

No, you didn't miss anything. Suzanne simply employed a time tested literary technique usually reserved these days for television series...the cliffhanger. You know, build suspense, make the audience wait with anticipation for what's to follow.

And she didn't disappoint but I think she was playing another trick on us. Suzanne sent me a quick little message saying she was about ready to post the final installment, I eagerly anticipated reading this little gem and to my surprise, it wasn't here. So I think the trick is that with Easter approaching, she hid it ike an Easter egg. I found it in our companion picture thread and thought I'd quote it over here so everyone wouldn't think we've abandoned the story.

I will have to wait to add more since I have been out of town for a few days (and I am looking forward to doing so, Suzanne closes this out so beautifully). But for now, here is...

The Final Installment

I can not describe how crazy this week was. I know that is no excuse leaving everyone waiting on our final installment to this saga.

As we walked out the doors it was still raining, but not nearly as hard as it had been when we entered the field of Battle known as Macy’s. It was now completely dark and we were ready for something to eat. I tucked into my seat. New shoes nestled under my feet. Except for the Joan and David’s because I had slipped them on before leaving the store.

We quickly made our way back over to Ventura Boulevard. I couldn’t help but notice all of the wonderful eclectic boutiques, shops and restaurants that line this road. For some reason they remind me of Sara: cool, sassy, fun and invigoratingly unique. We chatted as we drove. We discussed nothing special. Our conversation roamed among topics like shoes, family and friends. You know, the typical girl stuff.

Sara said that she was a little hungry and really didn’t feel like risking our meal to some unknown boutique restaurant and asked if I was OK with going to a known entity. I told her I had no problem with that. First, I really didn’t care where we ate as long as we could continue to spend quality gal time together and second I am from Kansas. The last thing we think of when we are hungry is where is a good Liberian or Ethiopian restaurant.

We drove along until we saw the California Pizza Kitchen and Sara asked if I was good with that? Sure we are in California and I like pizza. Why not? The restaurant was in a mall type building with an underground parking lot. We pulled in and the valets stopped us in order to park the car. We rolled down the window and Sara explained that she didn’t want to valet. He pointed to where we needed to self park and Sara moved the car to that area.

The gentlemen that wished to valet walked towards us as we crossed the lot towards the elevators. He asked us where we were going and we explained we were on our way to the restaurant. He explained to us which floor it was on and told us to be careful. With the rain the walkway is very slick. At the same time the elevator appeared and two ladies with several kids got off. Not a look, not a comment, nothing. It was another charming moment of just being. We boarded the elevator and took it up to the floor with the restaurant.

It was raining quite a bit harder now and the air was crisp. I pulled my wrap tighter around my shoulders as I hit the cool air. My mind wandered. How many times during my life had I seen my mother do this exact same movement when she was greeted by the chill of the evening air.

We walked towards the restaurant as an older couple walk past. I made room for them as I skated along the slick floor in my rocking new shoes. To make the room I had to step out from underneath the awning into the rain. As the cool rain fell on my face I never felt more alive. Sara suggested that I move back under the awning. I didn’t want to. I wanted to feel ever sensation I could at that moment.

Sara stopped about half way and said she needed to call her wife. I walked forward towards the doors. Outside a gentlemen stood chatting on the phone. We looked at each other for a minute. He smiled at me and I smiled back. He tucked his phone between his chin and shoulder reached over and opened the door for me. I hadn’t been planning on going in but how could I let this chivalrous gesture go to waste.

I walk on in the restaurant and asked for a table for two. I tried to stay where I could see Sara. Girls always have to be on guard for one another you know. I was led to the table by the host and was give our menus. Sara finished her call and joined me.

This begins my favorite part of our day. On of the few things that compares to compares to shopping and finding a great bargain with a good friend is having a relaxing dinner with a great friend. We sat in our booth overlooking the rain softly falling on Ventura Boulevard. The restaurant was busy but not overly crowded. Teenage girls sat behind us giggling as girls do, a couple dined on salads in the booth in front of us and a father and a daughter bonded in a booth next to us. In the middle of them sat two women enjoying the rapture of each others company after a long day of shopping. Like so many times today, we were unnoticed. We were just two people in the world whose conversation added to the din of the sound of life.

Most of the conversation during dinner revolved around who are. Chatted about the challenge of balancing who we are with the lives that we have built. We talked about many of the ladies from this site. We chattered about girlfriends that we know personally that have impacted our lives. Sara you are now among that group. And Sara shared with me the story of Christine a friend that she recently lost. Christine’s story touched my soul but what touched me more was the impact that both of them had on each other. It is apparent that Christine lives on in Sara’s heart. I didn’t want to talk. Sara is so intriguing I just wanted to listen. I just wanted to revel in her feminity and wisdom.
For two starving women we didn’t eat much. A slice or two of pizza and a couple of drinks later it was time to leave. Its cliché’ but time does fly. My heart felt a twinge of sadness as we paid our bill and got up to leave. I did not want the moment to end and it was not because of being out it was because I was enjoying this time with my new friend.

We walked down the stairs to the Boulevard. Sara had spotted a shop on our way back from the Grove Mall that she had said she had wanted to have her picture taken with it in the back ground. If you have seen the thread with out pictures in it you will have guess why. For those of you that have not seen it, the name of the shop was Sara’s Lingerie!

Sara crossed the street at the light and I stayed on the other side of the street.

I stood across the street from Sara’s photography mark waiting on her to arrive. The cars passed by tires sushing trough the rain remaining on the street that glistenend in the lights of the shops. The world smelled clean and felt crisp as I stood there alone waiting on Sara to arrive. What was taking her so long? It must have been the light. I couldn’t help but think that the teenage girl that was standing on the sidewalk was brave being there by herself. She must have been waiting on a car to swing by and pick her up. Then I realized. IT WAS SARA! I attempted to take some pictures. She was too far away and it was too dark. Darn it. She crossed the street, jaywalking this time. She suggested that we try close ups with the shop in the background. It is amazing how accomplished we TG’s can be a photography, especially portraits. We took some of her and some of me. They came out great and then we walked back to the parking garage. The parking attendants were gone. Free parking, woo hoo! This was a blessed day.

The hotel wasn’t far away. We pulled into the parking lot. Sara had her Ipod plugged in and her music caught my ear. We spent an unknown amount of time sitting in the parking lot talking and sampling the music of no-man, Porcupine Tree, Blackfield and their common thread Steven Wilson. The music was beautifully haunting. The melodies became the soundtrack of my night. Sara shared with me the LA treasure of Amoeba records. The next day I went to Amoeba and purchased three CDs she recommended. Sara’s musical tastes rival her fashion tastes!

It was getting late and Sara had a long drive back home. Her voice was going. She was not feeling good, but toughed it out to spend some time showing this Kansas girl the world of an LA woman. We hugged and I watched her drive away from the hotel entrance. I can’t wait to return to LA. Not for the beautiful weather, not for the sites, not for the hustle and bustle, but to spend some time again with a great girlfriend.

Sara Jessica
03-18-2010, 02:37 PM
Finally, I'm going to try to wrap things up, adding to the wonderful ending Suzanne has already graced us with.

And I have to say that her attention to detail and ability to describe things is simply the best. I can only hope to add a little colour to the picture she so beautifully painted.

As we walked out the doors it was still raining, but not nearly as hard as it had been when we entered the field of Battle known as Macy’s. It was now completely dark and we were ready for something to eat. I tucked into my seat. New shoes nestled under my feet. Except for the Joan and David’s because I had slipped them on before leaving the store.

We quickly made our way back over to Ventura Boulevard. I couldn’t help but notice all of the wonderful eclectic boutiques, shops and restaurants that line this road. For some reason they remind me of Sara: cool, sassy, fun and invigoratingly unique. We chatted as we drove. We discussed nothing special. Our conversation roamed among topics like shoes, family and friends. You know, the typical girl stuff.

Sara said that she was a little hungry and really didn’t feel like risking our meal to some unknown boutique restaurant and asked if I was OK with going to a known entity. I told her I had no problem with that. First, I really didn’t care where we ate as long as we could continue to spend quality gal time together and second I am from Kansas. The last thing we think of when we are hungry is where is a good Liberian or Ethiopian restaurant.

Yeah, I wasn't feeling so adventurous when it came to food.

We drove along until we saw the California Pizza Kitchen and Sara asked if I was good with that? Sure we are in California and I like pizza. Why not? The restaurant was in a mall type building with an underground parking lot. We pulled in and the valets stopped us in order to park the car. We rolled down the window and Sara explained that she didn’t want to valet. He pointed to where we needed to self park and Sara moved the car to that area.

The gentlemen that wished to valet walked towards us as we crossed the lot towards the elevators. He asked us where we were going and we explained we were on our way to the restaurant. He explained to us which floor it was on and told us to be careful. With the rain the walkway is very slick. At the same time the elevator appeared and two ladies with several kids got off. Not a look, not a comment, nothing. It was another charming moment of just being. We boarded the elevator and took it up to the floor with the restaurant.

It was raining quite a bit harder now and the air was crisp. I pulled my wrap tighter around my shoulders as I hit the cool air. My mind wandered. How many times during my life had I seen my mother do this exact same movement when she was greeted by the chill of the evening air.

We walked towards the restaurant as an older couple walk past. I made room for them as I skated along the slick floor in my rocking new shoes. To make the room I had to step out from underneath the awning into the rain. As the cool rain fell on my face I never felt more alive. Sara suggested that I move back under the awning. I didn’t want to. I wanted to feel ever sensation I could at that moment.

Sara stopped about half way and said she needed to call her wife. I walked forward towards the doors. Outside a gentlemen stood chatting on the phone. We looked at each other for a minute. He smiled at me and I smiled back. He tucked his phone between his chin and shoulder reached over and opened the door for me. I hadn’t been planning on going in but how could I let this chivalrous gesture go to waste.

I walk on in the restaurant and asked for a table for two. I tried to stay where I could see Sara. Girls always have to be on guard for one another you know. I was led to the table by the host and was give our menus. Sara finished her call and joined me.

It was chilly, rainy and the deck was slippery. We did well to make it into CPK without taking a little flip, me in my heels and Suzanne in brand new un-scuffed flats. But what struck me (and I think Suzanne is describing this as well) is how we seemed to glide around effortlessly, almost imperceptably as we went about our business.

This begins my favorite part of our day. On of the few things that compares to compares to shopping and finding a great bargain with a good friend is having a relaxing dinner with a great friend. We sat in our booth overlooking the rain softly falling on Ventura Boulevard. The restaurant was busy but not overly crowded. Teenage girls sat behind us giggling as girls do, a couple dined on salads in the booth in front of us and a father and a daughter bonded in a booth next to us. In the middle of them sat two women enjoying the rapture of each others company after a long day of shopping. Like so many times today, we were unnoticed. We were just two people in the world whose conversation added to the din of the sound of life.

The simplicity of pure conversation is lost on so many, yet as much fun as everything had been so far that day, it was wonderful to take the time to smell the roses, to relax and melt into the fabric of our scenery.

Most of the conversation during dinner revolved around who are. Chatted about the challenge of balancing who we are with the lives that we have built. We talked about many of the ladies from this site. We chattered about girlfriends that we know personally that have impacted our lives. Sara you are now among that group. And Sara shared with me the story of Christine a friend that she recently lost. Christine’s story touched my soul but what touched me more was the impact that both of them had on each other. It is apparent that Christine lives on in Sara’s heart. I didn’t want to talk. Sara is so intriguing I just wanted to listen. I just wanted to revel in her feminity and wisdom. For two starving women we didn’t eat much. A slice or two of pizza and a couple of drinks later it was time to leave. Its cliché’ but time does fly. My heart felt a twinge of sadness as we paid our bill and got up to leave. I did not want the moment to end and it was not because of being out it was because I was enjoying this time with my new friend.

I'm amazed at the wonderful connections I have been blessed with, other "middle pathers" like me (coining a term from another dear friend of mine). Or perhaps I shouldn't be surprised. Those who are of similar minds often gravitate towards one another. I'm thankful to have made this connection with Suzanne.

And I sometimes feel like people are sick of hearing me speak of Christine but the fact remains she was a very important part of my life during what I call my own renaissance period. I'm just glad Suzanne found the story compelling.

I think we could have easily talked for another couple hours but I did sense my "hall pass" was expiring in that I didn't want to return home toooooo late. Not knowing when our paths will cross again, I wasn't in a hurry for the visit to end either.

We walked down the stairs to the Boulevard. Sara had spotted a shop on our way back from the Grove Mall that she had said she had wanted to have her picture taken with it in the back ground. If you have seen the thread with out pictures in it you will have guess why. For those of you that have not seen it, the name of the shop was Sara’s Lingerie!

Sara crossed the street at the light and I stayed on the other side of the street.

I stood across the street from Sara’s photography mark waiting on her to arrive. The cars passed by tires sushing trough the rain remaining on the street that glistenend in the lights of the shops. The world smelled clean and felt crisp as I stood there alone waiting on Sara to arrive. What was taking her so long? It must have been the light. I couldn’t help but think that the teenage girl that was standing on the sidewalk was brave being there by herself. She must have been waiting on a car to swing by and pick her up. Then I realized. IT WAS SARA! I attempted to take some pictures. She was too far away and it was too dark. Darn it. She crossed the street, jaywalking this time. She suggested that we try close ups with the shop in the background. It is amazing how accomplished we TG’s can be a photography, especially portraits. We took some of her and some of me. They came out great and then we walked back to the parking garage. The parking attendants were gone. Free parking, woo hoo! This was a blessed day.

How could I not take a picture by that store?!?! And it's nice to know I am absolutely passable at 100 feet ;) (tongue in cheek, I always avoid using the "p" word) ...if only it were as true at 5 feet!

The hotel wasn’t far away. We pulled into the parking lot. Sara had her Ipod plugged in and her music caught my ear. We spent an unknown amount of time sitting in the parking lot talking and sampling the music of no-man, Porcupine Tree, Blackfield and their common thread Steven Wilson. The music was beautifully haunting. The melodies became the soundtrack of my night. Sara shared with me the LA treasure of Amoeba records. The next day I went to Amoeba and purchased three CDs she recommended. Sara’s musical tastes rival her fashion tastes!

Such a sweet compliment. I'm so glad to have shared these little musical gems with Suzanne. Equally struck by her curiosity about the music in that she heard it in the background. Now that girl has an ear for fine tunes!!! I hope the selections you bought will bring you memories of that evening whenever you hear them.

It was getting late and Sara had a long drive back home. Her voice was going. She was not feeling good, but toughed it out to spend some time showing this Kansas girl the world of an LA woman. We hugged and I watched her drive away from the hotel entrance. I can’t wait to return to LA. Not for the beautiful weather, not for the sites, not for the hustle and bustle, but to spend some time again with a great girlfriend.

I too am looking forward to your return to LA, to share the beautiful weather, the sites, the hustle and bustle with a wonderful new girlfriend!!!

Lorileah
03-18-2010, 03:00 PM
Hmmm, LA, Pouring rain, water cascading off an awning, splashing onto your face and a big smile. I think I KNOW this movie! Doo doo do do it do it I'm laughin'...and singin... in the rain

And the fairytale doesn't end as we know, it just gets put on hold :)