PDA

View Full Version : A Monty Python View

Michelle-Leigh
03-09-2010, 07:15 AM
The first part of Monty Python's comedy The Meaning Of Life is a comical sketch of a "woman" having a baby at a hospital..... After all the usual hilarity, the "woman" has the baby then asks the doctor whether it is a boy or a girl..... To which the doctor replies that it is 'a bit to early to start imposing roles on it, don't you think ?' If only real society held that sort of view regarding gender !

Veronica Nowakowski
03-09-2010, 07:22 AM
well, that would be nice, but that's not necessarily the Monty Python view as it was a joke. To which extent that joke applies I don't know. But that would be amazing.

NathalieX66
03-09-2010, 07:37 AM
Monty Python was very ahead of it's time in terms of topical issues, and always poking fun at political correctness. Even in the Holy Grail, the effeninate gay prince was vying for acceptance. This was , what? The mid-1970?

Stina84
03-09-2010, 07:38 AM
Thank you for bringing up Monty Python - I've admired their genius since I saw my first episode of the Flying Circus :)

I don't think i would like a world with no gender roles. The difference between the male and female is what excites me and what makes it fun to be a woman sometimes.

Furthermore I think that imposing gender roles is not as bad a thing as it is often portrayed. Your gender role comes as an instant component of your identity that you don't have to do anything to get. The alternative to having a gender role imposed is to fill out those parts of your identity yourself and while this might be optimal for some I think that for most it would just be another stress factor and if the gender identity you've chosen does not fit you perfectly you have to bear the blame yourself instead of being able to shift it to your parents/society/etc.

I don't think free choice necessarily makes people happy. Most of the time it just leaves more room for doubts and regrets.

On the other hand I know that gender roles can be constricting so what I'm saying is not the stereotypical gender roles should be enforced rigourously. I just think that it is healthy for people to have healthy gender roles (ones that treat men and women with equal respect etc.) "imposed" as a default and then give them the freedom to alter them as they want to.

Michelle-Leigh
03-09-2010, 07:48 AM
Well, English humor is of a very dry sort and sometimes difficult to understand.....

Paula Siemen
03-09-2010, 08:26 AM
I love the Lumberjack Song!!! I think we should adopt it as our anthem.

Alexei
03-09-2010, 09:02 AM
I love the Lumberjack Song!!! I think we should adopt it as our anthem.

I'm a lumberjack and I'm okay...

joank
03-09-2010, 10:40 AM
I'm a 'dead parrot' fan myself although I do like the reenactment of the Normandy Invasion.

kimdl93
03-09-2010, 10:44 AM
Personally, I crack up every time I even think of the Spanish Inquisition!

EnglishRose
03-09-2010, 10:47 AM
This is all kinda OT, but I loved How Not To Be Seen, the interview with Luxury-Yacht, and It's The Mind, primarily :)

The crew were certainly not afraid to do sketches in drag, obviously.

kym
03-09-2010, 11:36 AM
Monty Python always was way ahead of his time in many ways. If you look at most of his movies he almost always has some kind of humor directed at societies norms. it is refreshing to hear that kind of thing from his movies. Now if only middle america would see things his way this country would be a lot more fun. :D

Alexei
03-09-2010, 12:17 PM
This is all kinda OT, but I loved How Not To Be Seen, the interview with Luxury-Yacht, and It's The Mind, primarily :)

The crew were certainly not afraid to do sketches in drag, obviously.

It's the same as the early days of theater. The story requires a female character, but the actors are all men. The joke isn't "haha, men wearing dresses," the joke is "haha, those ladies are doing something silly."

Cathytg
03-09-2010, 02:14 PM
Sometimes Monty Python did let some profound comments slip out. That one is excellent and you are so right.

"That is an ex-parrot!"

sherri52
03-09-2010, 03:16 PM
The Monty Python themes usually didn't show any predjudice and the cast dressed enfemme on many occasions

SuzanneBender
03-09-2010, 04:20 PM
Eureka! We have discovered the cause. Its not nature its not nurture its exposure to Monty Python! Seems we are all fans and know a little about it. Now I know why I always got in trouble as a kid when I stayed up late to watch the flying circus. Mom and Dad knew that I would be in a dress the next day and they were right.

Thank goodness I turned out TG and not a knight who says "Neeee".

Seriously, what makes the troop of Monty Python so fun to watch even today is how they attacked issues like this with a matter of fact humor that cut through all of the societal BS. In my mind their comedic genious and how it address social ills is only rivaled by Mel Brooks.

eileendover
03-09-2010, 04:44 PM

Frédérique
03-09-2010, 05:03 PM
To which the doctor replies that it is 'a bit to early to start imposing roles on it, don't you think ?' If only real society held that sort of view regarding gender!

The British have the right idea, as usual, way ahead of our beloved American reluctance to think about ourselves in anything but a positive way. Python shaped me visually and mentally at an early age – what would I have done without their group example and enlightenment? I wouldn’t be HERE, that’s for sure! Thanks, guys (and gals)…:heehee:

SuzanneBender
03-09-2010, 05:07 PM
Python shaped me visually and mentally at an early age – what would I have done without their group example and enlightenment?

Mee too! When I think about things I normally think in Monty Pythonesqe cartoons. When someone cuts me off in traffic I often picture a giant animated foot coming out of the clouds and crushing there car as a devine being giggles.

Emma Leigh
03-09-2010, 05:09 PM
Your mother was a hamster and your father smells of Elderberries!

Leslie Langford
03-09-2010, 05:30 PM
Thank goodness I turned out TG and not a knight who says "Neeee".

...as long as you don't fart in our general direction like the French soldier in that movie, Suzanne :eek::doh::D .

az_azeel
03-09-2010, 05:47 PM
some of our British Humour...

lxOu1DyVQV8

Joanie_Shakti
03-09-2010, 08:34 PM
Personally, I crack up every time I even think of the Spanish Inquisition!

I didn't expect the bloody Spanish Inquisition. :doh:

Another one here who was "twisted" by their humor at an early age. And I mentioned in a David Bowie thread that I think along with Bowie, they were probably a subconscious influence towards my crossdressing.

I think it was in the "Meaning of Life," there's one scene where Michael Palin is in drag and sitting in a chair. I remember thinking that he had nice ankles.

Saw "Spamalot" last year for my birthday. Actually was a bit disappointed in the play. But being a big Python nerd, I'm glad I go to see it. Nowhere as good as seeing the whole gang at the Hollywood Bowl in the early 1980s though.

docrobbysherry
03-09-2010, 08:53 PM
For the Portugese subtitles, so us Yanks mite understand a little bit of what they're SAYING! :brolleyes:

some of our British Humour...

PS. Recently saw Spamalot! We LOVED IT!

Debbie37
03-09-2010, 09:12 PM
Word! Life would be a great deal less stressful if people woud just get over the hangups around gender bending....

Debbie37
03-09-2010, 09:27 PM
That Monty Python video was too funny! Oh man, that was great. My favorite MP movie of all time has to be The Holy Grail. That killer rabbit was too much!

gigiluv
03-10-2010, 05:41 PM
Blessed are the Cheese Makers