PDA

View Full Version : Question about hormones

vendela_faer
03-16-2010, 08:59 PM
I know this is probably something I should ask a doctor, but I'd still like to ask it here first: In your personal opinions, what are my chances of being able to take hormones considering I had closed heart surgery when I was 3 years old. I had a coarctation of the aorta. They repaired it with a Dacron graft and I haven't had any problems since, aside from shortness of breath from running and physical exertion. I know with the hormone therapy comes risks of blood clots and other heart related risks. I moved away from my family so I could express my gender the way I always wanted but I've found that it's not enough. More and more I hate being male. I am dating someone at the moment and they are 100% supportive of whatever route I end up taking, but I've been kind of depressed lately, despite the support. I had hoped that being able to wear women's clothes, makeup, and being able to express my gender in a more feminine manner would at least satisfy my desire to be female to some extent, and I had hoped that at least I could find some sort of middle ground in my gender expression. But that doesn't seem to be the case. I'm worried that the hormone therapy won't be an option because of my history of heart surgery and I guess that's part of the reason why I haven't broken down and gone to see a doctor yet. It's like Schrodinger's cat, as long as I don't see the doctor then there's still the possibility of the hormone therapy being an option. Plus, I'm leery of doctors anyway. They tend to err on the side of caution so they don't get sued, so I'm not sure I'd even trust a doctor's answer if I went and saw one and they said it's not an option. Ugh, I don't know what to do. . . .

Karen564
03-16-2010, 10:24 PM
What your asking for is definitely best left to an actual MD to answer...because only an MD can fully evaluate your past medical history (records) & current condition properly before telling you anything about the risk's involved in your particular case...

Don't rely on any info you see on the web regarding your condition if your planning on HRT...

Let me add to that, you may need to consult a cardiologist, and disclose that you want to go on mtf HRT meds .......the reason I see the importance in this is because HRT meds will slightly change the arterial wall tissue pliability, and seeing that you have a Dacron graft, I would want to know for sure if any tissue change would compromise that graft.. ....other than that, you should be fine if everything else checks out fine..

Good luck..

Sharon
03-16-2010, 10:42 PM
Karen's right, only a qualified doctor can answer your question.

If it helps you to know this, I also had health issues (in short, most of my internal organs function poorly due to a past illness) that needed to be dealt with. With a complete physical and more blood tests than is decent, however, my endocrinologist provided me with a mild prescription which was eventually strengthened over time as I didn't react negatively to the meds.

You don't know what could be recommended for you unless you try! And good luck!:hugs:

Hope
03-17-2010, 02:14 AM
Seriously - you are asking us to wade WAY into Dr. land here, and none of us have the approved flotation devices. You simply HAVE to ask your doctor. Honestly, they are not horrible people, and in my experience willing to work with you when you are willing to work with them. If you find yourself with a Dr. who can't / won't or just doesn't listen to you - find one who will. This is your body, these are (within reason) your decisions.

On the plus side, I know that one of the things they use spiro for is to treat patients who have had some forms of heart failure. I don't know if that is relevant to your case or not - but it is hope?

Go see a doctor.

Felicity71
03-17-2010, 03:46 AM
Same sort of answer as the rest. I dont have any condition like yours so i cant say. I know of a friend that got DVT from her hormones and she has a doctor. I feel for you and your situation.

Stephenie S
03-17-2010, 09:02 AM
You had a repaired stricture in your aorta. High blood pressure is your enemy. Spiro, the T blocking medication, LOWERS blood pressure, so you should be OK there. Estrogen is thought to increase the risks of blood clots, among other things. Another reason to keep your BP low.

That said, you HAVE to consult a cardiologist (preferably the one who did the original surgery) and an endocrinologist. Only they can answer this question for you safely. Don't take what I, or any other forum member, says as competent advice. You HAVE to consult qualified and informed medical advice. This means you have to tell them what you are planning to do. Suck it up dear, and put your money where your mouth is. This is your life you are talking about here.

Stephie

vendela_faer
03-17-2010, 12:21 PM
Thank you for the feedback, info, and support. I'm certainly not going to try the hormones without seeing a doctor first. I just wanted to get some more info and opinions before I talk to a doctor. As for seeing the original surgeon, I had the surgery in Florida when I was 3 years old. I'm 29 and live in Oregon now. So that's not really an option. I don't have health insurance at the moment, but I've gone back to school and my university has a health clinic and a pharmacy on campus with cheap/subsidized medicine. From what I hear, the counselors there are also very supportive and knowledgeable of TG issues. I've just had bad luck with doctors in the past so I'm always leery and try to avoid them as much as possible. But like I said, I wouldn't take the hormones without first consulting a doctor. I just want to have more knowledge before I go in. Thanks again.

Arianna Aine
03-18-2010, 05:39 AM
well i was just gonna say that i also have heart issues (i was born with tetrology of fallot, to be specific). and i also had a second heart surgery a few months before i started hormones...

it may just be because i'm relatively young, being 18 and all, but it wasn't really an issue. my therapist was more worried about it than my cardiologist was...in the end my cardio sent my therapist's office an ekg and a quick note just to make them stop worrying.

so yeah, having heart problems isn't an instant condemnation...?